[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Since children are so adept at learning, why do kids spend most

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: bull.jpg (433KB, 1935x1435px) Image search: [Google]
bull.jpg
433KB, 1935x1435px
Since children are so adept at learning, why do kids spend most of middleschool fucking around with multiplication and division.

I remember memorizing the times tables as part of assignments frequently, but couldn't that time have been better allocated to teaching more advanced math?

Why aren't we teaching 1st graders algebra, I think they can pick up on it fairly fast.

With how human children learn, you would figure that almost every slightly above average kid should speak 3 languages, and be fluent in calculus and trig by high school.

I feel like we are wasting children's potentials.
>>
>>35604009
Because math, particularly more "advanced" math (calculus, discrete maths, etc) require abstract thinking and visual-spatial reasoning that might not yet be developed in kids.

There are definitely some mathematical ideas that could be taught earlier (mostly proof theory, imo), though, and we should also speed up the learning of topics. One whole year is way too long to spend purely on a subject like arithmetic, pre-algebra, etc.
>>
>>35604009

The answer is that niggers cant keep up, so they slow the pace down for the lowest percentile so they dont "feel bad"

You would figure in a capitalistic society, the talented would be able to ascend the ladder, and get into the work force faster, but the process of students skipping grades is so convoluted its stupid.

People skipping grades should be much more common than it is. The idea that all kids learn at the same rate is ludicrous.
>>
>>35604009
Not everyone can even reach those levels of math. If we're gonna specialize, it should be up to the individual's potential.
>>
>>35604122
Of course not, but you could easily just designate repeat classes. The entire schooling system needs a rework that focuses on individual talent, instead of a yearly repeat. School should be a ladder people climb to get out, not a routine.

If a 12 year old has the knowledge to graduate highschool, he should be able to opt in to take a test, and be done with it. That would save so much money on education spending, but traditionalists would never agree.

What grade you are in shouldn't be tied to age, it should be tied to personal ability and knowledge.
>>
>>35604172
you are missing the whole point of the current school system. it's fucking daycare, especially k-5. they could easily condense all the crap they teach in elementary school down to one or two years, but that will never happen.
>>
>>35604009
You are fucking stupid. God damn you are fucking dumb. Why even post this retarded shit if you can't spend a single second to actually think about what you're saying. It takes TIME and PRACTICE to truly understand things. It's not like you can just spend a fucking week on each math subject because "Oh the kids learned it, now we can move on!". Fucking idiot.
>>
File: 1489515719887.png (7KB, 256x196px) Image search: [Google]
1489515719887.png
7KB, 256x196px
>>35604009
What the fuck I literally knew my times table by the end of 2nd grade. and don't give me the burgerland meme because i went to public school too.
>>
>>35604377
>It takes TIME and PRACTICE to truly understand things

lol no it doesn't, maybe a week or two at the most. After that you're just "teaching" them to memorize and shit it out come test time. It's quite common to "learn" shit at school then completely forget about it a few years later. It's not like speaking, writing, or any of that. Most schools don't teach you to problem solve or have critical thought. It's just remember shit, pass test, forget about it, move on. There are fucking "adults" in their 20s, IN COLLEGE, that are complete retards. They couldn't tell you how many continents there are. How many US states. Branches of government. BASIC shit. Oh, and forget about the constitution and bill of right. That's old ouddated shit goy, like religion, forget about it.
>>
>>35604009
niggers

that is the only reason

We should be teaching more advanced math earlier like some parts of Europe and most of East Asia. In fact we did, math in the U.S. at any level was much more advanced 40 years ago. But our school population is almost 60% shitskins now. That's why we adopted common core instead of creating a more advanced curriculum. We have a significant portion of our population who would ordinarily rate on the autism spectrum with how functionally useless they are, but our entire system is dedicated to integrating these people and pretending they're equal.
>>
>>35604377
I never said how long you should focus on a topic, but you certainly dont need a year to properly learn how multiplication works.

Memorization is pointless in todays work force when everything is done by calculator anyways. We dont need 2 year of students memorizing the times tables.

I'm not saying every kid can understand shit immediately, but there should be avenues for the non mentally slow kids to progress to get the most out of their youth.

I remember personally around 8th grade before highschool being so excited that at my high school I would be able to test out of subjects and get credits without taking classes.

My freshman year of high school I tested out of every single math course I would need to graduate from school, and spent the next 3 years taking math classes that were actually interesting for me

There should be avenues for people who apply themselves and actually try. People should be rewarded for hard work.

This is a system that should be applied to all of schooling. If a student has mastered the content, and wishes to further advance his abilities while he's young, this should be nurtured.

>>35604326
This is a real response, because it's probably true. School exists to poor people as state sponsored day care.
>>
>>35604009
Public education is fucked because government. Kids get real educations at good (not meme university bait) private schools.
>>
The solution to this, if you have a kid, is to homeschool him.
If I had a kid, we would be doing algebra and calc as soon as he knew how to multiply.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.