[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i'm pretty young, decent job/education (software developer),

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: cover4.png (407KB, 453x458px) Image search: [Google]
cover4.png
407KB, 453x458px
i'm pretty young, decent job/education (software developer), and have $50k in the bank. what should i do with it?
>>
>>35555669
Buy some weed. You can either buy a personal stash for yourself, or buy a big ass amount and move it and make your money back plus a lot more.

Think smart, anon.
>>
use it for a down payment on a house
in most places, you'll pay less on a mortgage than you're currently paying on rent
>>
indexed mutual fund and some gold

Make sure to keep a good stash of physical cash around just in case, too.
>>
save it. i'm in a similar situation only a little less in the bank
>>
>>35555669
What was the point of getting the degree, job, and money if you didn't have a plan for the money you would earn? Did you just do all that for no reason?
>>
Invest it into a low-risk moderate-reward portfolio.
>>
>>35555669
you could sleep with 200 pretty hot prostitutes, or go to southeast asia and sleep with 2000
>>
>>35555708
people keep saying that buying property as young as you can is the way to go, might look into this. moving very soon, so wouldn't be a horrible idea.
>>35555723
i've got a separate retirement account going currently; i work for a finance company but will be leaving soon and can do more investing once freed from the whole SEC thing
>>35555739
nice job fellow anon - i've certainly grown attached to the comfort of having a big emergency fund insulating me from most things. starting to lose confidence in the wisdom of retirement accounts, aggressive saving, etc with automation/basic income/god knows what else in the near future. ideally i could make the money work for me a little bit more than a savings/retirement account might.
>>
People who say save it up regret not spending it on something that would be cool to do when you're young

Those who spent it regret not saving it for something logical

So whatever you do, you'll regret it
>>
>>35555787
i happen to like programming, so it worked out nicely. it's also enabled all sorts of short-term pleasures (mainly travel)

>>35555806
this is the probable plan once i leave my current job
>>
>>35555669
this is off topic but how does one get a job as a software developer? i've been trying to teach myself, but every tutorial has useless examples that teach theory well enough, but aren't real world problems.
>>
File: retirementwrapper.png (55KB, 1209x907px) Image search: [Google]
retirementwrapper.png
55KB, 1209x907px
>>35555669
Invest it and save more desu. Follow the retirement wrapper. When you have 300 months expenses saved up you can retire with a 4% annual withdrawal rate.
>>
File: 1485807920463.jpg (116KB, 488x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1485807920463.jpg
116KB, 488x1024px
>>35555927
you don't teach yourself
teaching yourself is preparing for the long, shitty haul
without a degree, most places will just throw your resume away, and the ones that don't will expect you to have a damn good portfolio on github for them to consider you

>>35555828
>not a horrible idea
it's probably better than what these people are saying
realistically, you could save it all, invest, and never buy anything for yourself, but why would you?
and since housing is a huge expense for most people and in 42/50 states it's cheaper to buy than rent, why wouldn't you get a house you enjoy and can save money every month with?
>>
>>35555935

That's bullshit.

I do my own retirement funds not some kikeshit
>>
>>35555927
i did the easymode route (four-year college, internships over summers and step into a job after graduation). the industry as a whole is certainly more open than most about non-traditional educational paths, but it's by no means smooth sailing. these days i think the easiest point of entry would be to get good at front-end stuff - it's easier to self-motivate and learn if you build a simple personal site and use it as a platform to try and come up on html/css, react, angular, stuff like that. that way you're gaining experience and building a portfolio at once. generally strictly front-end jobs are a little more accepting of people that aren't your average hardcore dev.

if you're more interested in backend stuff, build some android apps for simple things like alarms, notepads, etc. same idea with the portfolio/experience two-fer

if you've got a degree in something else and are looking to shift careers, look into georgia tech's online master's in cs. it's preposterously cheap
>>
>>35556011
>tfw moving to a state that's more expensive to own. averages though, so will certainly look into it.
>>
>>35555708

Yeah, you'll just be stuck in a mortage you have to pay off for the next 20+ years, making massive interest payments to the bank and even when you have it fully paid off, you'll have to pay propety taxes and upkeep fees every year that amount to close half a year's apartment rental anyways. I wish people would stop spouting this dumb nonsense about building equity through a mortage. You're just getting anal fucked by the banks.

>>35555723
>>35555806

Listen to these guys. Rent cheap without any obligations, put all your excess into index funds and other diversified investments, no stupid shit like stock trading. Once you make enough interest that you become financially independent it's a very liberating experience.
>>
>>35556093
>no sources
>muh bank gonna buttfuck me
>better invest everything and never spend a cent
alright buddy, take your tinfoil hat ass back to /x/
>>
>>35556050
>georgia tech's online master's in cs.

Not that guy but isn't CS a computer/classroom heavy major? It's not a pyschology major
>>
>>35556171
online degrees in general are considered shit and most schools that offer them turn out to be degree factories
>>
>>35556171
>>35556187
this is basically the first ray of the new rising sun of online education - i'm sure it'll get cheaper/more widespread at some point, but it's very much legit both in terms of respectability within the workforce and the workload/curriculum
>>
>>35555935
why is the IRA above the 401k
why even have an IRA if you have a 401k
>>
>>35556250
no it's not respected
I work as a programmer and whenever my boss gets an application with online or self-taught programmers it basically goes straight in the trash

how can you respect a degree when all the classes have open-google tests?
how do you know the person has the work ethic to come to work at 7 every morning when they roll out of bed at noon to take a test in their underwear?
>>
File: 1489475848414.jpg (120KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1489475848414.jpg
120KB, 1280x720px
>>35555669
Pamper a hot young trap and get ya dick wet
>>
>>35556286
any thread here or on the funny alien site related to personal finance gets these weirdos who micromanage everything and play everything the safest possible way they can
honestly I'm surprised they aren't advocating for people to cut out rent and groceries to save about $2,000 a month and invest that instead
>>
>>35556310
>conflating itt tech and georgia tech
>>
>>35556155

Sources for what, you idiot? That you're going to get fucked on a mortage? Anyone with a brain knows that, banks are built on usury. I never said to not spend anything. I said put your excess into investments. Not only are you an idiot but you can't even read properly. I don't even know what your /x/ comment is about.
>>
>>35556393
>it's common knowledge
no sorry buddy but that carries no weight when there has been proof posted itt that buying/taxes/insurance is cheaper per month than renting
>>35556011
since you have no proof to your argument, it carries no weight, I need no proof to dismiss it

take your paranoia somewhere else faggot
>>
>>35556370
same thing anon
look at University of Arizona's online program
it's seen as a joke and a degree factory in the professional world.
online degrees just aren't worth jack shit when there are plenty of people with traditional degrees willing to apply
>>
>>35556050
i did 4 year college (one of those stupid for-profit things) which taught a lot about programming (mostly visual c++). however, i graduated 10 years ago and forgot almost everything and it's like almost starting from scratch. i've been doing sys admin stuff for the last 10 years and tried to avoid programming. but i'm at the point now where i can't see myself doing what is essentially tech support for the rest of my life.
>>
>>35556506
teach english abroad for two years in a country (or two) that you've always wanted to travel to, and use the time outside of your workday to do the omscs

that's what i would and might do, although i guess >>35556477 would disagree
>>
Pick up an addictive and expensive habit. You work hard and you deserve it, Rockstar!
>>
Use it to hire an elite squad of mercenaries to help you overthrow a small island nation and install a fascist society that worships you
>>
>>35555669
Buy a house and rent it out (you make $700 monthly by doing literally nothing) or invest in stocks that are guaranteed to rise.
>>
>>35556617
What the fuck does teaching in Japan have to do with getting an online degree from a tech school?
>>
>>35556658
hmu with those guaranteed stocks
>>35556661
not so much in east asia, but in a lot of countries those jobs only consist of 10-15 hours a week but pay a decent living wage. good way to see the world and support yourself while leaving plenty of time for the oms
>>
>>35556730

Trump

Thank me later
>>
Invest. My current pick is solar cities.
>>
>>35556286
Sorry it has taken so long to reply.

When you set up an IRA you get a choice of where to invest your funds and the funds in which you invest. In your 401K, those options are selected by you employers HR Department. Many times, the options include funds with higher expense ratios or lower performing funds.
You should invest upto the employer match before putting money into your IRA b/c the match is free money, but you are likely to have better returns in your IRA from Vanguard or Fidelity than in Active funds in your 401K.

If you are interested, watch this video series from Bogleheads

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Video:Bogleheads%C2%AE_investment_philosophy
>>
Wanna buy me some stuff?
I work full time for a low wage and live alone, but someone needs to be the person that cooks everyones food.
>>
Be my boyfriend.

Build a real fortune with me
>>
>>35555669
shove it up your ass and kill yourslef
>>
>>35559266
Probably good ideas.
>>
What's the work environment like for a programmer? Do you just sit at your desk and code all day long or are there meetings and people you need to deal with too?
>>
>>35555669
keep saving it.
>>
work some overtime faggot, dont listen to these neet peasants...50k is not a lot in 2017. dont start investing until you have like 200k in our bank.
>>
also if you still live with your parents, good! keep living there until they do not allow you to anymore, save, work over time, pick up another job, keep saving.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.