[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm the only one in the whole company at work today because

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: money_market.jpg (101KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
money_market.jpg
101KB, 600x400px
I'm the only one in the whole company at work today because of weather. It's a consulting firm.

What should I do?
>>
Seriously bored and playing runescape at the company office right now.

What do I do?
>>
>>35519507
>what exactly are you doing OP?
>how much do you make?
>where do you work (country)?
>what have you studied?
>>
>>35520313
I'm an "Actuarial Analyst" at a consulting firm.

I make about $45 an hour.

I work in the US (in Pennsylvania). I studied math.

Right now I'm playing old school runescape and watching "Shark Tank." What do i do?

I'm alone here today. On a normal day, I show up to work, send a message to my coworkers and superiors that says "Hello. I have some time today, so if you have any projects I can help with, please let me know." There's never any work for me though so after that I just shitpost on 4chan all day.
>>
>>35519507
Consult, firmly.
>>
>>35519507
Charge double for showing up under adverse conditions. Support your argument by pointing to the fact that none of your co-workers showed up and you kept the firm operating despite their absence. But for you doing your job the firm stood to lose an discernible amount of business and it was your commitment to the firm that prevented clients losing faith and continuing to retain your firm.

Or jerk off on your co-workers desks. Whatever.
>>
>>35520365
>old school runescape
>not /v/scape
my suggestion is to fucking kill yourself
>>
>>35520410
indiscernible* Fucking whatever
>>
>>35520365
>On a normal day, I show up to work, send a message to my coworkers and superiors that says "Hello. I have some time today, so if you have any projects I can help with, please let me know." There's never any work for me though so after that I just shitpost on 4chan all day.

I suggest you do exactly this, if only to ensure that people know you made it to the office on a day no one else did.
>>
>>35520392
Kek. I can't just "consult," I'm the bottom of the ladder here. Normally people don't "get clients" until like 9+ years here.

>>35520422
/v/scape isn't as fun. Exp rates are too high. No.

>>35520410
Kek I can't do that. It's my style but I can't actually do that.

I would do the jerking thing but I'm afraid herer coudl be cameras here. I don't actually want to take a risk like that lol.
>>
>>35520442
I sent the message. Still nothing has happened.
>>
how about you study to become smart and powerful!!!>>35519507
>>
>>35520452
If you can't charge extra for taking the extra measures your co-workers were unwilling to I'd re-evaluate your contract and go home mate. No point doing what your co-workers won't and not getting anything out of it. Unless of course you think it'll reflect positively on your performance review.

Don't send the email like the other anon suggested. That's fucking retarded and will make you look like an unaware sperg.
>>
>>35520483
I just sent that message privately via Skype to 2 people who said thanks and they will let me know when something comes up for me to help with.

It's tough because I've only been here 3 months but still nobody really gives me much work. When they do give it to me, I do it fast and very well usually.

I can charge for overtime, which is my regular rate x 1.5

The only reason I'm here today is because I live 3 minutes from the company so it's that easy for me to come to work. Otherwise I'd work from home today too. I should probably just go home now but on the off chance that somebody emails me asking me to do something with excel, I only have the files here so I was waiting a bit. I'll probably be here a few more hours just playing runescape while I wait. My office is cozy as hell too.

But as for my thread, I'm the only one in the ENTIRE COMPANY that is here today, and it's a huge company. This doesn't happen even on weekends. So I have this whole building alone and all the lights are on.
>>
File: 1476205037583.gif (774KB, 720x533px) Image search: [Google]
1476205037583.gif
774KB, 720x533px
Why the fuck.. Why dpeople like you get to have a comfy ass fucking job where you get to sit around alone in a fucking office and play fucking games and make that kind of money?!

I'm a smart person. I could do almost anything. Almost any job that you or any other office dweller does I could do. Yet I can't fucking get a job.. I don't know how to get a great job. I could do your job or fucking anything with just a tiny bit of training and practice. Why?! All I want is some money!

This is fucking bullshit. I suggest you make a noose and hang yourself OP. You probably fucking suck at Runescape anyways. You might have a high paying job but I have 99 thieving and 99 ranged.

FUCKKKK! FUCK FUCK FUCK

GET THE FUCK OFF THIS BOARD NIGGER YOURE A FUCKING NORMALFAG AND DONT BELONG HERE WITH US DELETE THIS FUCKING THREAD NOW
>>
take all the chairs in the office and build a massive chair fort
>>
>>35520612
Literally anybody could do my job because I do nothing.

The truth is that in high school I worked my ass off so I could go to an Ivy league school so big firms like this could choose me for my qualifications to do next to nothing.

Gz on 99 range though seriously. I'm only in the 80s for combat skills atm but I did all the quests and I'm doing clues now for fun.

>>35520620
Kek thank you. This is the best idea so far.
>>
>>35520693
I need a fucking job, I'm 24 years old and I've never worked for anything more than minimum wage. Fuck your thread and fuck you.
>>
Consult your dick with some primo hentai.
>>
>>35520563
You need to stay there. And email your supervisor stating that you were there and held the fort down. This says so much about your willingness to sacrifice for your company. Just don't mention you live three minutes away. I'd also suggest asking for overtime if you don't want good will. If ANY job or request for help comes in (I just study law and intern I don't know how your office works) you need to start hyping yourself up. Because if it weren't for you that job/work/whatever would either not have been completed or would have been severely delayed.
>>
>>35520719
Stop being an angry edgy cunt you faggot. OP studied hard for 4 years to get where he is (don't let me down OP. Don't tell me you studied 3 years). You havne't done shit. You only have yourself to blame.
>>
>>35520840
I got a degree in Math from UPenn and did some actuary tests but even then I think I got lucky to get this job with little qualification.

>>35520719
Look into being an actuary, and I mean that seriously because all you have to do is self-study for the actuarial exams, which take place every 2 months and are designed to be self-studied for with plenty of guides online, and if you can pass them your education is not really important. You need some education, sure, but what it come down to is passing those tests.

To put it simply, if you can pass actuarial tests, you can make as much as a doctor, or pretty close (given the same amount of time a doctor spends in medical school, residency, etc.). The salary growth paths for these two jobs are not that far off.

>>35520814
All my overtime is self-reported and I usually report about 2.5 hours a day so nobody gets suspicious because I get paid for it despite not really doing work in that time.

What you're saying is true, but everyone is working from home today, not taking the day off exactly, but I will keep that in mind.
>>
>>35520612
In the 70s the government decided it was racist to IQ test applicants, so now you have to get an education and pass an interview if you want a good job
>>
>>35520966
Report double the amount of overtime if you can get away with it. Move slow at the end of the day if there are any activities that are office necessities. Charge for them.
>>
>>35521128
>activities that are office necessities
I think I could not show up to work at all for a month and nobody would notice.
>>
File: image.gif (1023KB, 500x420px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1023KB, 500x420px
>>35519507
>expected 8-12" of snow
>got rain/hail instead

The roads are still a fucking hazard because it's like one sheet of ice.
>>
>>35520966
What's the difference here between actuary and actuarial analyst, specifically in qualifications and necessary exams?
Also, how hard are the maths to self-study? CS grad here so I have a ((decent)) background but obviously not as much as pure math friends
>>
>>35519507
Wire everyone's speakers together into one gigantic speaker system, strip down to your underwear, and dance around until you get bored of that.
>>
>>35521457
An actuary is the general name for the profession.

But as n actuary, there's generally 2 industries you can work in: insurance and consulting. Now, saying you're a business/data analyst allows you to access a whole other wide range of industries, but for specifically actuaries those are the 2 main ones.

Actuarial analyst is just the job title used to differentiate actuaries here, with analyst being the lowest, the next up being "associate actuary," etc. The difference is how many tests you've passed. After about 5 tests, the SOA grants you the ASA (Associate certification) and that becomes your title. After a few more, you get the FSA (Fellowship designation) and that is the highest. This typically takes about 6-8 years total.

All information is easily accessible on the soa.org website.

However, as an actuary in insurance or consulting, there are 4 major industries you can go into: Health, Life, Property and Casualty, and Pension. I work in Life (we make the most money I think.) Depending on which one you want to work in, you will get your certifications from the SOA (life, health, pension) or the CAS (property and casualty). This doesn't really matter for the first few exams because they're the same for both organizations but after the first few you have to pick which type of actuary you want to become.

The maths are not particularly hard to self-study. They are all self-studied, generally, as that is the nature of the job. We are given study hours and all study material fees are reimbursed. You could think of it as being paid to study for like 8 years if you choose this profession, but it's rewarding because you learn all about finance, statistics, and probability. So from that perspective, you mut be very dedicated to passing and studying hard. The exams are extremely hard, but doable. The recommended amount of hours per exam ranges from 100-300, and I personally recommend 300+ per exam.
>>
>>35521457
The proofs and advanced math I learned in school are completely unnecessary here because all you need to know is probability and statistics. That being said, you have to become so fluent in these skills to be able to pass the actuarial tests that the mathematics behind it must be second-nature because the tests are very hard.

The programming is excellent from a practical perspective. Most of what I do when I do actually do work, and every firm is a little different, is program macros in VBA to help analyze large amounts of life insurance data. So if you are familiar with VBA, Access, and are an absolute whiz in Excel (your life will be spent in Excel), they'll love you. Some firm say SQL and SAS are needed too and I have had to touch them occasionally but I'm not good with them. It's really useful to program.

So actuaries basically combine business/finance knowledge, some programming, and a lot of statistical knowledge to make inferences about risk for insurance firms. That's how I'd describe it in a broad sense.

The nice thing about it is that salary is tied to how many tests you take, not whether you get promoted or anything. So if you pass 5 tests, you get that much in salary, at basically any firm you go to, without any need for promotion (until you pass the 8 year mark and get fully certified or whatever, then it's probably different)

>>35521551
Consider it done.
>>
>>35521212
Someone would notice. Especially the women. Working in an office is made 10x worse by women. I remember when I was 17 and working as a manifester for a freight company and the two women above me were complaining because their desks were placed in front of the bosses office.... because they were done by 11am and couldn't facebook all day. Women are shit.

They're also the first to tell on you when shit doesn't go their way or you aren't doing your "job" according to them.

It was never an issue for me because I was somehow a 17 year old scene kid working in an office (my mum was fucking a higher up) but it taught me so many fucking lessons. I will kill myself before I take an office job.
>>
>>35521822
>women are shit.
I had 2 woman bosses at part time jobs in college. It was awful. I lost that job and got the same job but with a guy manager and he was great and we did a good job.

I agree I guess somebody would notice, but in a normal day literally nobody talks to me, and I'm lucky if someone emails me in a regular day. I wouldn't actually not show up though, like you said. I show up every day just in case one day they nab me for not doing anything.
>>
>>35521902
Your perseverance will see you through. At least we can share in our hate of women bosses. They're fucking trashhh
>>
>>35522068
Yeah absolutely no question on that
>>
>>35521457
Omg gtfo CS normie fuck. I bet you don't even know what a homotopy is. Anyone who doesn't know pure math has a waste of a brain. Please die all of you. (No fucking stats doesn't count you dumb cunt.)
>>
>>35520365
>Actuarial Analyst
That sounds so gay. I'm glad to be a NEET
>>
>>35522237
Ahaha OP here.

I loved topology.

I took enough pure math graduate courses, going up to differential geometry and algebraic topology, that I know what you're talking about, but at some point I just changed and didn't want to go to graduate school anymore. I love it though and topology is a fascinating field.

Stats pales in comparison and even I know that.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.