[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The poor are being tricked by the wealthy and the naive wannabe

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (184KB, 632x970px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
184KB, 632x970px
The poor are being tricked by the wealthy and the naive wannabe wealthy. Do not lust for wealth. Immediately stop buying things you don't need. Ignore the shaming and ego-boosting tactics. They are designed to appeal to your sense of embarrassment and pride, respectively. Eat rice and beans. Save your money. Do not allow yourself to be shamed for being or appearing poor, and never spend money you don't have to try and combat that. Fuck all those people, and live modestly.
>>
>>35518902
first time watching fight club?

implying the only food in my house isnt bread and cheese
>>
>>35518951
Just really tired of watching everyone piss everything away because they're being tricked emotionally by people and organizations who don't care about them. I want people to be better and smarter than that.
>>
then how in the fuck do i get a gf OP im 5'6 at 26 i have to do that shit or women won't want me
>>
>>35519057
easy, just bee yourseIf anon!
>>
>>35519057
Those women are scum. Your loneliness is being exploited. Sometimes you just have to be miserable. That's what no one wants to hear, and why they flee into the waiting arms of the salesman who won't ever say that to them.
>>
>>35518993
well it appears we we have the same (or similar) sentiments but your level of empathy seems marginally greater than mine since i dont give a fuck about teaching these values to others. but then again, i do have a diagnosis of aspergers syndrome so lack of empathy from me is expected.
>>
>>35519182
I can understand lack of empathy. At some point you realize you're casting pearls to swine. But sometimes it all builds up and I feel the need to "preach" in some way.
>>
>>35519316
>At some point you realize you're casting pearls to swine
????

where are you from?
what does it mean?
>>
>>35519604
I'm from the USA.

It would be like giving a precious object to someone who would immediately destroy it, to explain the phrase.

In my case I don't think my advice is so precious, but I do feel helpless against consumerism as a virtue, and angry at all the "swine" too stupid to accept and care for or appreciate the "pearl" of living modestly or within their means without shame.
>>
>>35518902

Did that for years to build up a nest-egg. Average 50k a year salary as a lab rat for pharma and biotech, stayed in a tiny rented room and lived on beans.

Eventually built up a 250k+ nest egg to start up a family. But, I never made any progress meeting any qt3.14's. Had a lot of robot issues of course, but one of them was that I didn't take very good care of myself.

I looked poor and beat-up, because that's the way I lived. Now, I'm still pretty frugal, but I try to put a bit more resources into my self-care and outward appearance.
>>
>>35521482
Taking care of yourself is important! It's confusion of luxury with care that's the issue.
>>
i like buying used games though
>>
File: 1488542518731.jpg (78KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
1488542518731.jpg
78KB, 564x564px
entitled white males all think they're temporarily embarassed future millionaires

that's why they're so easy to cuck and manipulate to thinking other poor people or minorities are the problem when it's actually old white baby boomers ruining the country and their shit.
>>
>>35521482
How old are you? Have you ever had sex or a gf?
>>
>>35521685
That doesn't sound so bad anon. It's really more like going out to eat every day/fast food every day or taking out a huge loan out on a car.

>>35521740
Blacks are actually some of the biggest victims of this way of thinking from what I've noticed living in Maryland.
>>
I'm investing for early retirement in my 40s. The whole point of retirement is to enjoy my toys and hobbies though. I will make some of the stuff, either because it's fun or there aren't any toys that fit my specifications, but I won't avoid buying as some silly protest.

I like metal, wood, ceramic, resin, and alcohol. Books are cool too. I also like feeling better than everyone so appearing poor is very shameful. I buy shit from goodwill in rich areas so I don't look poor. Men's casual never goes out of style and always fits in. I thought this was modest dress but I guess my motivations aren't modest. I just don't feel comfortable in jeans and a teeshirt though, even ignoring any social pressures I feel. Slacks, shirt, and leather shoes all day erry day.
>>
>>35521943

I hope you took advantage of the fashion of this decade since basically your whole wardrobe from the 90s is considered cool nowadays.
>>
>>35521770
>How old are you? Have you ever had sex or a gf?

40, Wizard, spent most of it noGF.

Finally starting to date a bit more this past year, a little wary though. Pretty close to getting GF I think, things are looking up.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (161KB, 900x480px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
161KB, 900x480px
>posting the self portrait I did of myself
but why
>>
>>35521943
While I maintain that the core issue is fear of looking poor stemmed from social pressure to impress others, you sound like you're at least trying to be financially sensible about it.

Regarding social presentation of one's self: it's impossible to meaningfully imagine ourselves as separate from everyone else, and so much if not all of what we do is shaped by the fact that we live alongside a bunch of other people, so the core issue is difficult to tackle.

We can certainly say that money is the modern means of survival, and that people are trying to take it away from others by trickery, and those being tricked are handing it over willingly, thinking they're getting some kind of deal, not realizing they're being manipulated. People need to resist the temptation of the picture the salesman paints (and the salesman is everywhere, even abstractly) and be okay with having less. Sadly even talking about this feels totally pointless and unhelpful.
>>
>>35521988

I'm not that old. I was a kid in the 90s so the clothes all became hand-me-downs. I just stick to solids, stripes, and checks. Timeless fashion type stuff. I did keep my trapper keeper.

>>35522189

It is tricky. I grew up poor but somehow found myself around not poor people. I like them so it's impractical to seek out poor friends just to spare my feelings. I guess it's pretty much the definition of keeping up with the Jones'. I just consider the price of admission.

It has to be acknowledged that spending money for the sake of spending feels good to some people. I feel like I'm about to vomit when I get to the checkout so I'm somehow defective there. Salesman aren't all evil though. People want to waste money because it's entertaining. The money is going to someone so why not get a slice of the pie? I intend on selling some of the shit I make, in part because money is nice to have, but also because if I don't then I'll just have all the cool shit I made piling up. My favorites I will keep for myself but the others will likely never be enjoyed, not to their full capacity at least.

It's not a total waste to discuss it though. It's weird because it's much like the idea of a fish discussing water. It's just there so it's not thought of much. I enjoy philolsophical musing. If nothing else it helps me iron out the kinks in my cognitive dissonance between wanting to be a miser, wanting to be little house on the prairie, and wanting to be a cool not poor country club socialite. It's hard when you like two very different groups. I like my redneck roots but they don't seem to know how to enjoy the simple things like beer. The rich guys can enjoy the simple things, but they get uptight over what I think is stupid bullshit. I've never felt like I really belonged anywhere. I was homeschooled and constantly moving during my childhood. You'd think I'd be accustomed to it by now but I still feel lonesome and out of place everywhere I go.
>>
>>35518902
and dont foreget 2 vote democrat!
>>
>>35521740
???meme?

I don't know anymore alotta u guys are pretty dumb tho
>>
>>35518902
>HAHA YOU WILL FUCK THE RICH MAN IN THE ASS BY REDUCING YOUR LIFE TO LITERALLY NOTHING

Uhh...
>>
>>35522150
Noicee mayne
>>
>>35522628
>price of admission

Doesn't that strike you negatively though? Doesn't it seem shallow for your rich friends not to associate with you because you're not wearing the right clothes? Maybe this is some kind of etiquette game people enjoy playing?

I grew up rich and never cared for it. My mother always wanted me to buy things and was disappointed that I wanted the same shoes over and over. Watching my parents spend their money thoughtlessly probably helped shape me this way.

Anyway, I think people are spoiled, and the salesman says that they have a gosh darn right to be spoiled because they deserve it, or whatever. I want people to learn to "go without" at least in some small way; I want them to be nobody's fool.

But yes, monetary exchange isn't inherently evil, assuming you can't take the salesman out of the equation. Ideally each person would be equal parts salesman, benefitting mutually. I don't want to be too hard on people about their pleasure, but then again I do.

I want to be like a parent and take things away from people, just say NO, YOU'RE GOING TO EAT FUCKING RICE AND BEANS, but through experience of that kind of thing as a form of punishment as a kid, I know it wouldn't work too well. I wish there were an effective way to baby people into spending less and being careful with their money, but it seems like the most effective methods are that of the salesman, and if I don't "pitch" it in some "exciting" way, they'll be off to look for that from others.
>>
>>35522150
Sorry anon. It's a very good portrait, and I chose it because the expression on his face is a bit how I feel, minus some of the self-importance. It was also Vargy given the context of my post. Do you still do art?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.