[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does therapy help? How can paying someone to be your friend help

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: therapy-001.jpg (116KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
therapy-001.jpg
116KB, 1920x1080px
Does therapy help? How can paying someone to be your friend help (minus the questionable medication)?

I am at the end and upon my parent's request I have made an appointment at a psychiatrist. I don't think that I have a mental illness/problem, but only a character flaw which makes me incompatible with life. I am ashamed and I don't know what I'm going to tell them, because it's a waste of their time (not really because I'm paying). I don't want medication, because it can't change my personality but only give me more issue with the side-effects.
>>
>>35497029
I'm sorry to say this but from my experience (5 different therapists) it is a complete scam and nothing like how you see in the movies or tv shows. I literally had one lady tell me to close my eyes and breath and that I was "addicted to thinking too much." And then she had me fill out a sheet and collected 200$ from me.
>>
File: 1431271211103.jpg (253KB, 881x848px) Image search: [Google]
1431271211103.jpg
253KB, 881x848px
>>35497146
>And then she had me fill out a sheet and collected 200$ from me.
>>
File: 1445637834100.gif (477KB, 500x336px) Image search: [Google]
1445637834100.gif
477KB, 500x336px
>>35497146
>"addicted to thinking too much"
Wew. That's a unique sort of retarded.

I'm thinking a red flag for therapy is if the therapist is female.
This will be hard to work around, though, since the vast majority of 'therapists' are women.
>>
>>35497029
Personally, it was similar to what >>35497146 said. I would say don't waste your money.

Passing a few uni exams does not make you qualified to understand and help people.
>>
>>35497146

Was it a psychologist or psychiatrist? I think that's the important distinction. Because this >>35497328 doesn't apply to psychiatrists. It's more than a few uni exams, it's at least 10 years of med school.
>>
>>35497029
therapists are someone to talk to and get everything you keep trapped inside out of your mind. Pretty helpful. I feel a lot better after seeing my payed for by the state therapist (usually low quality), but we clicked so that's hugely beneficial. She's only human so things don't always fix themselves over night, but she is a practical person and has illuminated many facets of my anxiety that I wouldn't have been able to suss out myself. She gives me techniques on how to control my anxiety and listens to me when I talk. the techniques usually work if im willing to practice them.

ps. your psych will give you meds, they're not a therapist or psychologist
>>
>>35497430
Psychologist. I have lost all faith in mental health treatment.
>>
>>35497457

So I was right that I'm seeing the "wrong" person. I feel even more embarrassed and convinced that it's a waste of my money now.
>>
I gave up on therapy. At least for me, it was a waste of time and money. I went for over a year and the fucking cunt couldn't give me a more complex diagnosis other than "muh depression", when I obviously have other stuff going on, like my self-diagnosed OCD (which she didn't even touched on).

At some point, the disgusting roastie even LAUGHED at one of my stories. If I want to be laughed at, I would just greentext the thing here. It's free and I would get a kick from the reactions and comments.

She just give the same bullshit advice like "try to be more open" or "be more positive" or "just do things". Well Mrs. M, I can't do those things, that's why I'm here.

Bottom line, it's a waste of money and time. Sad.
>>
>>35497806
She probably laughed because it was genuinely comical. You took it personally and are sensitive to the point where it offended you.

Therapists cannot give diagnoses, that's what a clinical psychologist is for.

Perhaps you're not willing to do the work needed to fix yourself, a therapist can't just talk you into being a better person.
>>
>>35497806

Why would you not seek a different therapist if you don't get results after a month and if you dislike the therapist? Seems like it was your fault.
>>
You just need someone to talk to. Talk to us. We can understand where you are coming from...kinda like we are a group therapy thing.

Your parents requested you go, why do you think they did that?

Whats this charactor "flaw" you think you have?
>>
you guys have to go to actuall psychotherapists.
There are alot of people that over therapie without beeing psychotherapists.
a psychotherapists goes through psychology (B.A. -> M.A.) and then 3years of training to become a therapist.
There are different sorts of therapists, this means they ave different ways of working. Whether they want to go at the root of your issue (e.g. the problematic relationship with your mother) or try to change your behavior (e.g. giving you little homeworks or basically demanding that you go to uni classes or some public event, try to talk to someone in class and so on).
I think these therapies can help. often both is needed thought (meds+therapy) even meds alone don't solve issues with a puff.
However your psychatrist is really only going to give you meds and telling you that therapy with meds is a sound decision.
>>
>>35498480

"Talking" on here doesn't help.
People seem to just post their problems in hope of finding someone who feels the same. That's what I did. I even managed to find someone who felt almost the same as I did (a year ago), but it didn't help.
When you finally see that there's someone else out there and that it's not just you... it feels insignificant. You lose your last hope and realize how pointless it is to complain or seek help.

I've read some other threads with a similar topic and people always tell you not to tell them that you're suicidal and that you want to die. APparently they can hospitalize you and that would make things even worse for me.
Who builds such a system where you want to seek help, but you're not allowed to because it will make it worse for you?
>>
The best advice i can give you, if you're a male, is to avoid female therapists. Always, ALWAYS get a male therapist if you're a male. The same way i would recommend a female to see a female therapist. Stick to your own sex.
>>
>>35497029
been on and off medications for around 6 years now.

recently moved and my new doctor looked at my history and said I think you where misdiagnosed so you thought something was wrong with you, let's try no medication for awhile and see how you go.

Im a month of meds and I havent had any massive lows, heck even yesterday I felt joy and I might be getting out of the neet life soon.

I found therapy to be a mixed bag out of 5 people I saw I found only one guy to be helpful
>>
File: th.jpg (8KB, 300x199px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
8KB, 300x199px
meditate everyday, then you won't require therapy

clearing your mind can do wonders for you once you let the conscious mind subside and permit the subconscious to take over and and automatically correct yourself
>>
>>35497029
>How can paying someone to be your friend help

That's not what therapy is. A therapist directs specific methods toward treating your issues. For instance, cognitive-behavioral therapy. If you had agoraphobia, CBT might consist of gradually forcing yourself to go outside and take in limited amounts of exposure until the pathways in your head eventually rewired themselves.

We learn through habit and repetition. When we learn negative habitual thinking, we have to replace that by basically brute forcing a more positive routine into our lives. Your brain will actually adapt to this over time, slowly replacing one routine with the other.
>>
>>35497029
Hit or miss.
I'm the same when it comes to drugs, my therapist didn't put me on any.

As to therapy: I went (or rather was visited by therapist) after ~2 years of being a NEET HS dropout, so i was kinda frustrated/realised that I should go back.
I feel like the therapy didn't do anything special for me in terms of getting 100% mentally healthy, but it was another thing pushing me to go back to school, so there's that.

A lot depends on your attitude - they can't read in your mind - if you just "feed" them informations to fuck off, and don't open yourself, then you are just hindering your progress. I know, because I do it - I didn't spill all of my problems, I just "focused" on the school problem, got back, and kinda dropped the rest.

What I'm trying to say: it's just a guidance - You do all the lifting.
>>
>>35498819
Ok maybe here isnt the best place. There are a lot of immature ppl on here. You do know you aren't alone now though, that doesn't help? It doesn't make you feel not as alone or like you aren't some sort of freak?

Is it that there are others like you and they don't know what to do either? That they have a hopeless feeling too? That they took pills and took therapy and are still the same?

I second the don't tell them you are suicidal. Just let them know you are depressed but when they ask if you have thought of hurting yourself say no.

And really think if you are depressed or just sad. Just because you are sad doesn't mean you are depressed, even if it has been for a while. If you have a reason to be depressed you are most likley sad and not depressed.
>>
File: 1415816721261.jpg (104KB, 1280x842px) Image search: [Google]
1415816721261.jpg
104KB, 1280x842px
>>35497029
I used to see a therapist and it didn't help at all. It actually made me feel worse. Like you said, I was paying someone to be my friend. It made me realize just how far I'd fallen that I thought this was normal behavior. You'll probably feel better spouting on the occasional "get it off your chest" thread that pops up from time to time than from going to a therapist. At least some of the people on 4chan will give you a laugh every once in a while. Seriously don't give money to those vultures, unless you're so rich you are using money for toilet paper it is a waste of cash.
>>
>>35497029
>Does therapy help?
No, 100% scam
>>
>>35497029
You can't have a "character flaw" that makes you incapable of living properly. That's far beyond a quirk and you definitely have something going on.
>>
>>35500078

I'm afraid to tell them how I feel and what I know. I have a nursing degree and if there's hope for me it's that, but if I tell them that I have trouble concentrating, that I have become dumb from letting my brain rot away for almost 10 years, that I can't remember things, that my short term memory is atrocious, that I have no desire, that I want to die, there's a chance it might get "flagged" and deemed unable to work.
There goes my last tiny bit of hope.

How am I supposed to deal with this?
>>
They can help you see your flaws, but only you can work on them.
>>
>>35501808
Too much pot???

Lots of nurses feel like you. Go to a nurse board and talk to them. See if it affected their career.

Anything come to mind why you wpuld feel this way? Are you ocer 30? Have a gf or bf? Have kids? Anything you hiding from family?
>>
>>35502085

I've never done any drugs in my life. Only been drunk a few times.

I am just unable to cope with life. I literally had everything there is for a great life. I'm 27 and had great health, had a chance at higher education (college drop out), had friends. I even found my first girlfriend a few months ago (but it has to end because we don't live in the same country). I'm not hiding anything, I am an empty shell, there is nothing to hide, I am a dull person who hasn't done anything in 10 years.
No matter what I did, it still felt this way. There's no objective reason. I don't know what to tell the psychiatrist. If I spill the truth they will commit me and I won't be able to deal with that it might actually make me crazy, which would be ironic.
>>
>>35502294
You sound like you are coping ok to me. Except the "i'm dull" "i've done nothing in the past 10 years" part. Are things boring? Do you feel unfullfeeled? Feel like you should have done more by now? Do you have hobbies? If you do have you lost interest in them? You are that age where people think things like that and feel that way about things. Its normal if you do.

How long have you been depressed?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.