[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>PhD in mathematics >Any job I want >300k starting

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

File: businessman-counting-money.jpg (47KB, 506x337px) Image search: [Google]
businessman-counting-money.jpg
47KB, 506x337px
>PhD in mathematics
>Any job I want
>300k starting

Remind me why you majored in liberals arts again, bud?
>>
I follow passion instead of money.
>>
>>35458014
I'm dumb

*not an original comment*
>>
>>35458043
is ur gf fine with a life of poverty
>>
>>35458043
I'm with this guy. Although my passion is making money to be fair
>>
>>35458083
>gf

Uh...
>>
File: ACKCHYUALLY.jpg (73KB, 700x701px) Image search: [Google]
ACKCHYUALLY.jpg
73KB, 700x701px
>>35458014
>PhD in mathematics
>300k starting
Alrighty then, stop roleplaying anon. Degrees in mathematics won't give you *most* jobs, let alone *any* job you want, and you'd be lucky if it starts at 80k.

I have a STEM degree and had friends that got mathematics PhDs. They ended up finding jobs making less than me, and I didn't go to grad school.
>>
>>35458306
must not have had a 4.0 gpa
>>
>>35458318
>thinking careers actually give a shit about your GPA
>thinking GPA even matters at the grad school level
These things don't happen in the real world, I assure you
>>
>>35458318
Employer rarely looks at GPA.
>>
>>35458014
Is it really worth it to get a PhD in mathematics when you could just get a pretty good job right out of grad school?
>>
>>35458306
Yeah math degrees are unbelievably useless. They really should remove the M from STEM.

They should also remove the S as well since hard sciences like physics, chemistry and biology are also quite worthless despite being quite challenging fields. The only exception to this is med school.

Technology and engineering are really the only STEM fields that provide a positive ROI.
>>
>>35458692
I think the S in STEM isn't entirely useless outside of academia, but it depends on what you do outside of the classroom while you're getting your degree. Chemistry and biology can have fantastic ROIs if you get into medical research. Physics can have a good ROI as well if you learn programming and data work, then you can pivot after graduation and get a good job in business analytics. (You could just study business or something at first, but that's boring as shit.)

There's not much you can do with mathematics though.
>>
>>35458306
yeah OP is roleplaying for sure

openly having a PhD actually limits the pool of jobs you could theoretically take because many employers would assume that you're not going to stick with their company and that you will continue pursuing a TT professorial position or something else a PhD mathematician is actually qualified for

moreover having a PhD in math isn't a substitute for experience, so again you're actually limiting yourself if you willingly set aside like 5 years to get a doctorate

>>35458318
nobody except for an educational institution will ever even ask for your gpa
it does not matter to anyone

>>35458440
what do you think grad school is
there's not much point in getting a masters' alone if you are in STEM
either don't go to grad at all or go all the way through
>>
>>35458014
>any job I want

Kek, there are like 3 jobs available in the US for a math major. And they all require heavy specifications.
>>
>>35458798
>nobody except for an educational institution will ever even ask for your gpa it does not matter to anyone

Of course they do. Employers have asked for my gpa and transcripts for virtually every entry level job and internship I've applied for. That being said I do live in an area with a lot of chinks and poopjeets.

After you have 2-3 years of work experience they don't give a shit.
>>
>>35458043
Me too

I like what I do. All of my accounts are empty and have been for a while. I just talk my way into whatever I want. Obsession with that green cotton is fucking stupid.

Knowledge is power and my currency. I recently managed to talk my way into $20K of bitcoin. My apartment costs more than what its worth and I eat anything I want every day.

Things just keep getting easier and easier the more people I meet and persuade. Because of this Ive completely lost my desire to make money. That is bad and I desperately need to change. I can't talk my way into everything.
>>
>>35458757
>Physics can have a good ROI as well if you learn programming and data work, >then you can pivot after graduation and get a good job in business analytics.

physics and math are about the same level of uselessness.

Sure they can both learn programming, do data work and apply for business analytics positions but there's enough business and CS grads that employers don't really need to consider applicants with less relevant majors. So most of them don't get much use out of their degrees.
>>
File: dyspraxia.png (269KB, 892x2476px) Image search: [Google]
dyspraxia.png
269KB, 892x2476px
>>35458014
Born with a neurological disorder which, in latin, translates to "stupid fuck who can't do anything right, better get real creative real quick and hope you get lucky, asshole"
>>
File: phdmathlol.png (63KB, 1083x664px) Image search: [Google]
phdmathlol.png
63KB, 1083x664px
>>35458910
>Kek, there are like 3 jobs available in the US for a math major. And they all require heavy specifications.

Yep found one of them for a math phd

15 years of experience in finance. Experience with natural language processing. 10 years experience with python r and scala

Good luck getting that 300k salary starting, OP.
>>
Math is the womens studies of STEM.
>>
File: phdmathlol.png (47KB, 559x693px) Image search: [Google]
phdmathlol.png
47KB, 559x693px
just get a phd in math 300k starting.
>>
File: 1426666477175.jpg (84KB, 705x762px) Image search: [Google]
1426666477175.jpg
84KB, 705x762px
>>35460033
>>35460199
>about to graduate as a math major
So should I even sit my final exams or just kill myself right now?
>>
>>35460301
What kind of experience are you graduating with? Any internships? tutoring?

If you don't have any technical skills or brand name companies on your resume, you can try working as a math tutor.

A math degree isn't very useful but it's no reason to kill yourself over it. It's not like you dropped a 250k on a worthless law degree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-9exjEZfp8
>>
>>35458014
Because I can't do math

ez pz
>>
>>35458014
I really hope OP is serious and not baiting this is fuckin hilarious
>>
>>35460540
Unrelated part time work, research experience. Can program a little. I'm going to end up having to teach high school most likely.
>>
Jokes on you OP. I studied accounting and computer science.
>>
>>35458014
>Remind me why you majored in liberals arts again, bud?
Huh? I majored in accounting.
>>
File: usaf.png (600KB, 1226x1172px) Image search: [Google]
usaf.png
600KB, 1226x1172px
> when you join the military fresh out of high school, commission at the end of your enlistment, become an officer, and retire at 20 years, and then do the same job as a civilian but for a fuckton more cash, then retire again after 20 years and you get to live off of social security, military pension, federal employee pension, and your TSP
>>
>>35460600
no he's not this is just a meme
>>
>>35460043
No that would definitely be biology.
>>
>>35461466
Yeah when I was in college for biochemistry my bio courses were 95% women. The courses were mostly memorization too because women piece together things. Nearly no women in 300 level math courses or Chem courses though.
>>
>>35460301
Having a math degree hardly makes you unemployable, just don't expect any lucrative jobs opportunities out the gate or with unfocused career development.
>>
>>35461594
Never understood why this is. I mean it's true for biotech, and even for math-heavy biology courses. Whatever technically qualifies as "biology" is female dominated...
>>
>>35461594
Yeah that's how I remember it. It was also the most popular STEM major.

One thing to remember is that while biology/biochemistry is a relatively popular major, it's employment prospects are piss poor.

If you major in bio you HAVE to get into medical or at the very least dental school. Failure is not an option.

It's a sink-or-swim major.

Most bio majors are probably working as Starbucks baristas or in HR or something. It's rare that I come across a biology majors on linkedin whose actually doing something with their life.
>>
>>35458014
To become a cop and serve the good people of my country
>>
McDonalds hired me 100k salary.
How are people even poor?
>>
>>35458014
Math is gay and sexist
>>
>>35458014
You can get those jobs without a degree. I'm going to get a job paying 100k because math is my hobby. I'm actually writing a math textbook and plan on writing two more this year.
>>
>>35461986
Is that 100k rupees?
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.