[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At what age is it acceptable for a parent to charge their children

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 5

File: 0898 - R4kEFrx.png (119KB, 635x493px) Image search: [Google]
0898 - R4kEFrx.png
119KB, 635x493px
At what age is it acceptable for a parent to charge their children board/rent.

Im 18 and my mum wants me to pay.
>>
>>35325231

your parents suck dick dude
>>
>>35325231
My mum did that to me at 18, as well.
I think it's a shitty thing to do, and that you should move out as soon as possible.
Or refuse to pay rent until they "evict" you.
Because even if she charges you rent, she will still treat you like a child.
>>
>>35325231
Any age your parents want to. I'd say that you WON'T get charged rent if you're lucky. Get a fucking job or commit to higher ed.
>>
>>35325231

my parents made me after I moved back in with them after living with my shitty brother.

just get a goddamn job, you fucking leech.
>>
>>35325253
>>35325255
At the moment i feel like its a bad thing.
And youre right she will still say i need to contribute blah blah blah
>>35325266
have a job and probably going to uni or TAFE next year
>>
>>35325231
Tell her you'll go to uni then don't
>Worked for me
>>
>>35325231
Note she is manipulative hypocrite and abuses me almost every night since i was about 5 or 6, i always say that my contribution is being her outlet of anger.
>>
>>35325310
Explain how this works please friend
>>
>>35325286
If she tells you to do chores tell her she's making you pay rent and that's the chore you're doing.
She can't have it both ways.
>>
18 if you work a decent job that pays above minimum. If not, you should be allowed to live rent free until 21. At age 21, you either pay up or gtfo
>>
>>35325231
My mom tried that shit with me around when I was 18 or 19. I had no job and no driver's license. So, I went to live with my dad rather than cross that bridge. I eventually got both on my own terms, but I didn't appreciate her trying to force it.

Living with my dad is a thousand times better than living with my mom. He leaves me alone and lets me make my own decisions, versus my mom's constant meddling and telling me what SHE wants for me in my life, and disapproving of my choices.

The only downside is she's become a totally different person in my absence. I do text her sometimes and go out to eat with her very occasionally, and see her on holidays, but I don't really like being around her all that much any more.
>>
>not mentally and emotionally manipulating your mother since you were a small child so that you always get your way
>not being a big strong tall man so she feels like it's even tougher to enforce what she wants to do
you're small time
I have her give me weed money and money for games whenever I want, you guys need to grow some balls
>>
>>35325286
Good. Move out. As another anon pointed out, you'll be treated like a kid even if you pay rent. It's better to do it sooner than later so your selfish mother (I say this because you ARE going into higher ed so there's no real excuse to try to get you out into the real world) doesn't profit off of you. Of course you can always wait until your school of choice, though.
>>
>>35325231
they don't actually want you to pay, they want you to leave
>>
>>35325502
>i still care about her and would feel bad for doing this
Bit fucking autistic if you ask me no one else likes her
>>35325555
I want to move out ASAP i just need to work out how to do it, everything is expensive where i live
>>
>>35325355
>jeez mom stop teaching me independence
>>
honestly it kind of sickens me that some parents see their children as a way of turning a profit. especially when that child is miserable and never asked to be brought into the world in the first place
>>
>>35325326
Not him, but I've done this before

>tell parents I'm enrolled in the local community college
>they get off my back about having no job and never leaving the house/paying rent
>on days I "have class", I would just go to the local park and walk around for 1-3 hours
>do this for 2 years, then tell them I'm changing major
>do this for another year until I get a decent job and tell them I'm dropping out to pursue a career in company
>>
>>35325231

if your parents aren't that well off it's a completely viable expectation honestly
>>
>>35325626
Times is tough, NEETboi
>>
>>35325613
When money is involved, you're not being taught anymore. you're being exploited.
>>
>>35325355
This would be a shit blizzard dude, she wants me to "contribute" by paying for 1/2 of the bills, which i don't use, paying her for being the landlord or someshit, plus help her cook and do all the other chores too
>>35325626
>>35325656
Mums mid tier, Dads like high mid tier so shes probably jealous desu
>>
>>35325594
SoCal or Noot Yerk?
If you're SoCal, I could set something up with you if you're looking to roommate up and possibly move further south.
>>
>>35325685
You need to start a shit blizzard if you want to get out of this abusive relationship.
>>
>>35325656
and even if they are, you only learn lessons through experiencing things

go out and get a job and understand why they are charging you rent, instead of wallowing in how you are allowing it to make you feel.

if you were a billionaire you wouldnt give a fuck about rent. and not because you could pay it a hundred million times over. it's because you would have so much other shit going on in your life. them making you work is nature's way of ensuring you actually go out and adventure (notice I didnt say their way--some parents know, very many do not, they can be assholes, but the lessons you learn still carry the same weight regardless of how you are forced to learn them)
>>
As long as I'm in uni their philosophy is they pay for my food and transportation and clothes etc as long as I don't work and just focus on school. But once I get a "real world" job I should pay rent assuming I'm living with them.
>>
>>35325690
Australia
>>35325701
What do you mean by abusive relationship, i know what it means but what do you think the relationship is
>>
>>35325678
No, because when you live independently you will have to pay rent. You will have to do chores. These are things you have to learn.
>>
>>35325723
Assuming your parents always have your best interests in mind is the height of naivety.
>>
>>35325732
Yer done right fukt m8.
>>
>>35325685
Fuck that, the moment you start paying, you stop doing chores and just clean up after yourself alone. Leave everything else for her but leave her no opening to bring it back on you about not washing your own dishes or something.
>>
>>35325732
I thought you'd said earlier that she abused you. I guess that was somebody else.
>>
>>35325231
I don't think it's ever acceptable, and to do so is a clear sign your parents are worthless boomers who don't understand how massively property prices have outstripped incomes over the past 20 years.
More than that though it demonstrates worst aspects of the modern West's rejection of the bonds of family and kinship. Parent's should be glad to look after you while you save up a nest egg rather than being forced into paying rent for a shitty shoebox owned by some (((moneygrubbing))) landlord. In return you care for your parents and look after them once they're unable to look after themselves. Throughout history multigeneration households have been the rule and there's a reason for that.
>>
>>35325772
Man I hope you get kicked out.
>>
>>35325762
No that was me, so physical though
>>
>>35325772
This strikes a good point for me.
Thanks to my mom's fuckery when I was a teenager (making me pay rent, forcing me to sign "contracts" over trivial shit, etc)
There's no way in hell I'll support her in her old age. She can rot and die alone, for what it matters to me.
>>
>>35325809
Not* not So, sorry
>>
>>35325812
That's just fucked up. Keep her cut off.
>>
File: 0545 - dc973hW.jpg (99KB, 330x357px) Image search: [Google]
0545 - dc973hW.jpg
99KB, 330x357px
>>35325812
>contracts
Holy shit anon, like what stuff?
>>
At what age is it acceptable to shoot offspring with BB gun unless they gtfo?
>>
>>35325812
>inb4 the tendie contract
>>35325858
>>
>>35325365
How the fuck do you find a decent job right after high school
>>
>>35325852
Just stupid shit, like agreeing to do chores if she drove me to the mall. The worst was at one point I offered to sell my sega genesis to my older sister, and she forced me to sell it to my little sister (who played it about 8 times total.)
>>
>>35325858
23 is a good age. If they're shiftless, 21.
>>
>>35325838
I'm actually on fairly good terms with her now that I've moved out. When I go to visit for the holidays I come home and feel pretty dark.
That doesn't mean I won't let her hang out to dry when she needs me.
>>
>>35325877
Were you a consistent liar about those things?
Also why do you care about the sega thing if you got the same revenue
>>
>>35325906
wew lad, how dont you feel bad about that
>>
>>35325909
because I offered to sell it because I was on good terms with my older sister, and it was a friendly gesture. My little sister was just a shitty kid, but I was forced to give her something nice for a pittance.
>>
>>35325852
Not him but my parents had me and my sister sign contracts to not skip school
>>
>>35325685

wait, hold up, does she rent the property or own it

i mean i understand the bills part because i have moved out

but if she isn't renting and is asking for rent, that's probably not a great sign
>>
>>35325922
I do feel bad about it, and a lot of other things regarding my family.
I've been trying to figure out a way to cut ties with them completely, but it's hard.
>>
>>35325930
Ok thats fair enough
>>35325943
She owns it but has a mortgage
>>35325954
Have you seen mad men?
>>
>>35325954
>tfw want to completely cut ties with my family but im scared my dad will get angry at me if i do it
>>
>>35325970
I have, but creating a fake identity is far more difficult than it used to be due to needing ID and social security for a lot of things in this country.
>>
>>35325812
And rightly so anon.
It's a shame society has become so toxic that she thought this was justifiable. One of the aspects of Asian culture (whether SE, S, E Asian or Middle-Eastern) we could stand to imitate is the strong family bonds they maintain ... at least for now. I'm studying medicine so a good 50% of my peers are Asian of some description and none of their parents would dream of kicking them out even though they're going to be almost in their mid-20s by the time they graduate. Even after graduating many won't move out immediately. It's just so much more sensible for them to stay at home where they can save money, rely on their mother cooking etc while they focus on studying, and have the emotional support of their parents if things ever get a bit stressful.

>>35325807
>Man I hope you get kicked out.
I left home at 17 to go backpacking through E. Europe, Asia and the Middle-East. Haven't moved back in since. My parent's are never happier than on the occasional uni holidays I spend back home instead of off on some holiday.
>>
>>35326009
You could just change your name and contact deatails and move far away
>>
>>35325231

Don't.

When they ask why or give you some shit ask if they can honestly respect a tenant/landlord relationship. If they are tell then make an actual lease together. Make sure to include food/utilities as part of the amount you pay, that the house must be in a livable condition (this basically means you aren't doing bitch work), that you quarters are not to be entered, etc.

When something breaks demand they fix it, when the fridge is empty demand they fill it, when the kitchen is a mess demand they clean it. Let's be real they are trying to kick you out anyway, so either tell them to fuck off and call their bluff or make plans on moving out. You can get a bedroom in what basically amounts to a modern day boarding house for a few bucks.
>>
>>35325970

Hm... mortgage is something generally parents tend to manage themselves.

It would depend on whether or not other factors on living with your motherino would imply that she's being a prick or actually needing the help.
And like another anon said, if it's a reasonable amount (ie, not even close to what you'd actually pay living alone) chances are she's trying to teach you the value of money
>>
>>35325995

>dad will get angry

Why the fuck do you care anon? That's the point of cutting ties.

What's he going to do?
>>
>>35326107
I know, idk why im scared of that.
>>
>>35325388
Identical situation here, except I was 16.
>>
>>35326107

I come from a small shit town, my mother is a hair stylist there, probably the best in that quadrant of the state. She's an emotionally manipulative, abusive, narcissistic cunt.

When I was 15 she pulled this rent shit with me too, and she lost her fucking mind when I asked to know what the house payment/utilities where so I could have a contract drew up.

Anyway, I moved out when I was 15. and left the state when I was 17. I kept in minor contact with her until last year, where she said shit to me that I will never forgive her for. It was then I told her to go fuck herself and that we were done.

She immediately did what I knew she would, and proceeded to turn the whole county against me. Pretty much every friend I had in the area stopped talking to me, when I visit my Dad I get dirty looks and shit tossed at me by people I've never met. And you know what? I don't regret it one fucking ounce. Breaking ties with her and that side of my family was one of the best decisions I ever made. Stop being a pussy. As long as he doesn't kill you, you will be fine.
>>
File: 1474862177155.jpg (14KB, 258x196px) Image search: [Google]
1474862177155.jpg
14KB, 258x196px
>>35325733
I should make my parents live in a nursing home to help prepare them for where they'll be heading due to the way they've raised me.
>>
>tfw 19.5
>in full time employment
>parents still don't charge me any rent
>>
File: 1384398061647.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1384398061647.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>>35326260

>my face when my mother still thinks I'm bluffing
>>
I started working part time when i was 15, and the rule was 20% of my wage was to be paid to my parents for rent moved out at 18. Worked hard have a good job now and have my own place completely mortgage free
>>
>>35325231
It's never acceptable to force someone into existence.
>>
>>35326299
And on the flip side if I don't kill myself I'll more than likely end up in a nursing home too, so it's hard to have sympathy when my fate is just as bad or worse.
>>
How about you accept this decaffeinated log of shit straight out of my brownie cutter
>>
>>35325231
Never? What kind of parent would charge their children rent
>>
>thrust a human life into the world
>18 years later
>HAHA GOOD LUCK ON YOUR OWN FAGGOT
>>
>>35325365
>18 with a decent job that pays abot minimum
This never happens how out of touch are you to believe this you fucking child
>>
>>35328162
It can happen, but involves either physical labor or a connection giving you a decent job.
>>
>>35325231
18 is the usual age but my parents only charged me when I started working or got uni loans

But if you don't have a job it's a way to push you to get off your ass and work, will probably help your robotism
>>
DOLE UP DONG
>>
>>35328244
>centrelink
>having self respect
Pick one and only one
>>
I'd rather die then be a fuckhead the uses Centrelink
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.