[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do i learn how to drive a truck if ive only ever drove automatic

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (22KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 259x194px
how do i learn how to drive a truck if ive only ever drove automatic cars never straight shift? if i went to a truck driving school that is 3 weeks long would they all think im a faggot if i haent ever drove stick shift?
>>
>>35287982
You are literally paying them to teach you how to drive, part of that is learning how to operate the manual transmission. It's incredibly easy, it's a lot like riding a bike, at first it seems really daunting, but once you get the feel for it you'll be fine.
>>
>>35287982
i read an article saying 90% of the people who attend truck driving school have ridden in a big rig before.

you are going to be so fucking awkward.
>>
>>35287982
Watch some YouTube videos and perhaps play some driving simulators to help you understand the concept a bit.

Also truck manual transmissions are different than cars/motorcycles so even if you were familiar with driving those there would still be a learning curve.
>>
>>35287982
manual isn't the hard part

the hard part is navigating narrow one way downtown streets with lots of turns

the hard part is backing into a loading bay at an angle where you only have 18 inches on each side of the truck
>>
File: IMG_0118.jpg (539KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0118.jpg
539KB, 1632x1224px
>>35287982
>3 weeks
I learned to drive truck in 2. Also it's totally different operating a big truck's transmission compared to that of a car so you're not really behind. Also many trucks have automatic transmissions like the one they gave me, pic related. Also, don't become a truck driver.
>>
>>35288142
>don't become a truck driver
and do what instead? work fast food / retail for the rest of my life? go to college and become some pansy ass nurse?
>>
>>35288142
im wanting to be a truck driver but i help at a place where theres mack trucks and peterbilts always around and ive serviced a bunch of them but have never drove one. if theres ever a manual pickup that hadnto be pulled in or moved my uncle will do it because ive never really drove one. if im bot gonna be truck driver i know it sounds stupid to want to learn but not knowing while im atpund them so much makes me feel like a pathetic fag
>>
>>35288217
Do you have a girlfriend or friends? That might be a dumb question considering where we are but yes, work retail. I would give anything to go back to the days when I was poor working in a big box store living with my best friend and girlfriend. Becoming a truck driver ruined my life. The only up side is I'll have plenty of money to travel around the world by myself before I commit suicide
>>
>>35288384
>Do you have a girlfriend or friends?
Nope. Literally nobody will give a shit if I'm gone for weeks at a time.
>>
>>35288439
Then go for it. I was making about 65k a year within a few months.
>>
>>35288439
are you familiar with the term "road wife"?
>>
>>35288537
Nice, what company did you start with? Also were you a company driver or owner-op?

>>35288551
Not really. I think I'd prefer to travel alone though.
>>
>>35288636
BN Dulay out of Surrey BC. Some Indian guy who drove for the company owned 3 trucks and I drove one of those. I had one of the oldest trucks they had and it was a 2014 model. It maxed out at 78 m/h on flat road. I got a lot of compliments on it from other truckers or mechanics but I didn't care, to me it was just a truck.
>>
>>35288384
Lol everything about trucking seems like perfection for a robot. Minimal social contact, irregular sleep schedule. Robots spend their entire lives in their rooms so living in a mobile cuckshed isn't a huge transition. CB radios are practically only used for anonymous shitposting. I think the main reason people can't cut it in trucking is because they're normalfags and they desperately need other people to complete them. Trucking is robot life for sure. I'm planning on getting my cdl and saving up money for a few years to pay for flight school.
>>
>>35288828
Ah so when you say 65k a year you meant monopoly money. I was actually impressed. Still decent for starting pay.
>>
>Minimal social contact
Yes, especially if you're like me and don't use social media. Like 20 days with only the office girl texting me every morning to ask where I was.
>Irregular sleep schedule
Try extremely regular sleep schedule. You want to be as efficient with your hours as possible which means starting each day 10 hours after the previous day ends.
>>
>>35287982

i went to a three week school to get my cdl and was in the same boat as you. trust me, it's a very common situation that the instructors know how to deal with. Just listen and be patient with the instructors.

Also, do not be afraid of the truck, stalling out in traffic or disrupting traffic while operating a commercial vehicle l.
>>
>>35288226

dude, i've dealt with mechanics and yard dogs and helpers who didn't know how to move a truck; just hop in and do it. trust me, people are more than willing to show you.

i know some of the mechanics can have shit ass attitudes but ask any drivers on the uard if they'll show you a thing a two. just be sincere about it. you don't need more than 2nd or 3rd on the yard.
>>
>>35288828
>78 metres per hour
Damn.
>>
>>35287982
they teach you all that at the driving school buddy
>>
File: 1483217324744.jpg (84KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1483217324744.jpg
84KB, 1024x683px
>>35288384
You're telling robots to go away from the perfect robot job

>gone for weeks
>no friends
>no human contact
>driving listening to music
>retarded sleep patterns
>isolation in your truck
>making 50k+ a year
>>
>>35289137
How does that even work when your delivery times vary. Plus you can't count on consistent road conditions so how can you plan your schedule so precisely? Like if I could only drive overnight that would be awesome
>>
>>35287982
>the autistic retard on my street who totaled 3 different cars managed to get his CDL and a job
Can't be that hard
>>
>>35287982

Trucking seems like an EXTREMLY comfy job

>Drive long distances by yourself
>Listen to synthwave during long nights
>No social contact
>Eat fast food or have food made done for you
>Explore the entire country
>Literally getting paid to road trip
>>
File: IMG_0404 copy.jpg (565KB, 1632x969px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0404 copy.jpg
565KB, 1632x969px
It can be pretty comfy
>>
>>35287982
Hang out at truck stops and suck truckers' dicks. Maybe one of them will make you his "road wife" and teach you.
>>
File: 1488651749661.png (77KB, 234x200px) Image search: [Google]
1488651749661.png
77KB, 234x200px
>>35288063

Kek. Beta male sperg in truck driving school.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.