[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Underachiever is a synonym for "idiot". There is no

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 34

File: PEPE Brain Dead.jpg (105KB, 1920x1541px) Image search: [Google]
PEPE Brain Dead.jpg
105KB, 1920x1541px
Underachiever is a synonym for "idiot".

There is no such thing as being "smart but lazy", you are just unintelligent.
>>
there is, it just doesn't apply to most people who describe themselves as such

laziness is often just a lack of energy, caused by shitty genetics or bad habits
>>
I don't disagree

potential unrealized is useless
>>
I've easily passed several classes that normies said were hard. I'm an idiot for not working harder but I'm not the same kind of idiot as dumb people.
>>
>>35262453
Whoy should I listen to u, u sound like a dummy
>>
File: 1453434005002.jpg (154KB, 472x700px) Image search: [Google]
1453434005002.jpg
154KB, 472x700px
But I have an IQ of 136 and I'm a 25 y/o NEET with zero future plans.

I just realized that whatever I do in life doesn't really matter. Our planet is but a single rock among trillions and trillions of other rocks. I don't think I could care less about achievements, one day I'm going to die and I'll be completely forgotten after everyone I know has died as well--as if I've never existed in the first place. If there's an afterlife I doubt God would care about my ''career'' and he would probably focus more on my good deeds instead. If there isn't an afterlife then why the fuck would I waste my limited time I have in this universe on trivial bullshit such as chasing success when you're just gonna die and disappear forever anyway?

See this picture? One day you will lie among those bones and no one will remember you. You're just another drop in a vast ocean, whatever you believe in now is just your ego protecting itself. T
>>
>>35262453
The lazy millennial meme is real
No one my age takes responsibility for anything. If they do bad in school, it's because they're too smart for it but just lazy and it's the teacher's fault
>>
>>35262453
I know it faggot, you don't need to tell me on /r9k/ too. My dad tells me that shit daily
>>
>>35262738
>See this picture? One day you will lie among those bones and no one will remember you
I'm going to become cremated into a diamond that my family could afford to make with the riches I've earned by working hard and applying myself :^)
>>
>>35262453
"Smart but lazy", in the robot's case, translates to "Not as dumb as one's debilitating mental illness and resulting lack of achievement would lead on"
>>
>>35262765
But ''you'' will cease to exist, and after your family has died so will every memory about you. Even if you somehow manage to become immortal, the inevitable heat death of the universe will make sure you'll just be floating in an empty void for eternity. Have fun with that bro.
>>
>>35262453

I disagree. There are honor students that can't even score well enough on placement exams to get into B-tier colleges. I think the real idiots were the try-hards that always got A's on homework and projects but C's and D's on proctored exams.
>>
>>35262829
Memeing aside, I don't give a shit about that, success is reaching and more importantly sustaining what you want most in life. If you're a lazy neet chances are you haven't experienced much of life, once you have you'll find what's worth working toward.
>>
>>35263304

Nothing is worth working towards except enlightenment, everything else is a huge waste of time.
>>
>>35262453
This makes no sense. Hitler was a underachiever until he became the best leader of the modern age. THis is rearded
>>
>>35262453
I got the equivalent of 2260/1507 SAT (hogskoleprovet) and average high school grades of C/D. Failed phys ed, came close to failing swedish.
>>
File: 1461300996674.png (286KB, 889x592px)
1461300996674.png
286KB, 889x592px
>>35262738
You're on the left side of this image, you need to move to the right.
All because there isn't a greater "point" doesn't mean that you can't make one for your self you shortsided dofus.
>>
>>35263481
The one on the right is not nihilism, but going beyond nihilism, like Nietzsche advocated
>>
OP is obviously someone who considers himself smart but lazy and posted this hoping for a counterargument to make him feel better about himself.
>>
>>35263304
This is a misconception, you can easily gain many time more life experience online than in person.

A wageslave does the same thing in the same place every day, a NEET travels the world and more every day.
>>
>>35263407
>Hitler was a underachiever
No he fucking wasn't.
>>
>>35262453
If a dog refuses to jump through a hoop, it must be an idiot dog.
>>
>>35263537
>a NEET travels the world and more every day.
Most are home bound, don't kid yourself.
>>
>>35263523
I don't Neitzsche advocated a life of hedonism and pleasure seeking. He was afraid that Nihilism would lead to that and sought a solution for that kind of worldview.
>>
File: god of idle.jpg (373KB, 434x1200px) Image search: [Google]
god of idle.jpg
373KB, 434x1200px
I finished high school with straight As but then sat on my ass for 5 years.
Pretty sure that qualifies as smart but lazy.
>>
>>35262453

I know, but in every report card I got the teacher called me "smart but lazy," despite getting good grades.
>>
>>35263382
"Worth" by what measure?

Animals pursue goals without looking for a philosophical justification. You might do, but that's probably more of a mix of trying to excuse your laziness and trying to elevate yourself above the unpleasantness of reality than anything else. Not putting in some effort to achieving a generally satisfying life is not something to be proud of or to be sugarcoated as being a thinker

>>35263435
Brainlet

>>35262542
Or never learning how to put effort into studying as a kid because everything is so easy
>>
>>35263382
then start meditating, reading and reciting mantras, doing shrooms, finding god, whatever, that sort of thing, why aren't you doing that?
>>
>>35262738
Anyone who uses the Caring Continuum correctly is intelligent in my book
>>
File: 1486334348260.jpg (221KB, 1000x1293px) Image search: [Google]
1486334348260.jpg
221KB, 1000x1293px
>>35263591
>Or never learning how to put effort into studying as a kid because everything is so easy
Combined with bullshit school systems that refuse to let intelligent, or better students study ahead of the shit ones.
>>
>>35263559
You really don't understand the significance of the WORLD WIDE WEB do you?

I had dinner last night with an old grandfather living in a small village in South India.

Very comfortably in fact, from my home on the other side of the world.
>>
File: lV9IfLy.gif (999KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
lV9IfLy.gif
999KB, 500x375px
>>35262453
You kind of make a good point OP. I'd say that I'm one myself and the definition could just be that you're good at just remembering shit that interests you, yet you're an idiot for making shitty choices.
>>
File: zetsubou.jpg (368KB, 4360x2458px) Image search: [Google]
zetsubou.jpg
368KB, 4360x2458px
I just don't care and I suppose my constant acedia can be mistaken for just laziness.

I know I'm better than most with zero effort but lacking in motivation to pursue true greatness so I just sit at home mindlessly indulging myself in anime, imageboards and vidya because they're all something I enjoy.

I guess I can be called stupid for never trying to reach my true limits but I think it's easier on my ego to be uncertain of my actual potential.
>>
>>35263638
Are you really implying that talking to people online is comparable to actually travelling abroad? Hell, or even just talking to people in real life? Sure the internet is incredible and there is a lot to be gained from that, but it's missing so many aspects of human experience that are gained by doing things in person.
>>
>>35263637
And then in college you are suddenly supposed to go through much more and harder material

The best level of intelligence to have is ~1.5-2 standard deviations above average, where you have a clear advantage but aren't completely bored yet and still have to put in some work

Of course being very naturally intelligent can also open doors for you later on if you find a way to apply it
>>
>>35263565
>As in school require you to be smart

Nice meme
>>
>>35263690
But being thought of as a loser a few years down the road certainly won't be good for your ego

Also after a few years of NEETing or wageslaving the brainfog will set in and suddenly you'll have difficulty outperforming even the average social sciences college student
>>
>>35263591
That's 99.1th percentile, this was when I was 15 too so I could probably increase it by a bit as well. Not that I will, I only need ~1315 to get in.
>>
>>35263665
Memory is hardly the main part of intelligence

Either way, being an underachiever just means not performing at the level you would reasonably be expected to perform at given your natural talents. Upbringing may or may not be factored into that
>>
>>35263877
Did you take the exam at a younger age than normal or what? Don't know much about swedish? examinations
>>
File: 1477234534254.jpg (26KB, 452x460px) Image search: [Google]
1477234534254.jpg
26KB, 452x460px
>>35262453
I have a MSc but I'm really lazy can I be the "smart but lazy" meme please
>>
>>35263955
At one point in time you were smart, now you're an idiot.
>>
>>35264004
But I was lazy when I got the degree too, what's the deal
>>
>>35263918
There's literally no requirements whatsoever, you just pay them $60. Anyone can do it, even tourists. You usually do it after high school (18-19).
>>
>>35264061
If you were traditionally lazy and I mean well and truly lazy while working towards your masters in science then yes you can call yourself smart but lazy.

99% of people who call themselves underachievers and smart slackers would never be able to get what you have.
>>
>>35262453

There is a such thing of smart but lazy. Only these people automate to get ahead of the curve. The underachiever is just an incompetant idiot with a superiority complex.
>>
>>35263544
He was until he became a great leader. He sucked a school, he was poor and depressed, he failed to reach his dreams.
Look at what his teachers told about him, it's probably the same thing as most robots heard
>>
>>35262453
>There is no such thing as being "smart but lazy"
You can be smart and lazy. Why are you so against that idea? Just let people be, they're not harming anyone (but insecure brainlets it seems). I don't consider myself ''smart but lazy'' though.
>>
>>35263836
Even the biggest cynic wouldn't deny that excellence in school is strongly correlated with intelligence.
>>
>>35263624
>implying I'm not?
>>35263591
Worth as in something that has value whether there's a life after death or not. If there isn't a life after death, you have lived a noble life without wasting time pursuing worthless things. If there is a life after death, the transition from life to death will be that much easier. And assuming life is meant to be a lesson for all of us, you have learned the most valuable lesson of all.

Sorry for the late reaction.
>>
>>35264390
I was just taking the piss

Anyways, why go from good grades to NEET? No interest, no motivation or both?
>>
>>35264390
Sure it requires intelligence, but diligence is far more important.
>>
>>35262542
Part of being intelligent is finding ways to overcome laziness to succeed. There are of course hard working brainlets, but the truly intelligent know how to make themselves productive if need be.
>>
>>35262453
I am the living proof of smart but lazy
In uni I dont do any of the assignments and don't study for tests but I always get 100 percent
If that isn't smart but lazy im not sure what is
>>
>>35264549
That's a skill, which is why brainlets can do it, it's not an intrinsic talent but something you have to learn how to do.
>>
>>35264560
But the thing is you don't need to be hard-working because of your intelligence. If you ever did, you would be able to figure out how to make yourself more productive.
>>
I think you can be classified as smart but lazy but that doesnt mean you arent useless
>>
>>35264580
Very true, and those who are truly intelligent develop skills much faster than others.
>>
>>35264474
>Worth as in something that has value whether there's a life after death or not

Value by what measure? The effort is temporary, why require the results to matter for eternity?

>If there isn't a life after death, you have lived a noble life without wasting time pursuing worthless things

"Noble" is very much a human judgement, just like "sloth" and "pride". Why apply some and not others?

>If there is a life after death, the transition from life to death will be that much easier

Life after death in a religious sense? Pretty sure most religions cosider sloth a sin

>And assuming life is meant to be a lesson for all of us, you have learned the most valuable lesson of all

Lesson by whom? And why make that assumption? Also how would you know what the lesson is supposed to be?
>>
True enough. It's stupid to do something like browse r9k for a large portion of your day you're training your brain to think like failures think instead of trying to put useful stuff in it. It's exactly like video games. 10,000 hours of being an expert in world of warcraft doesn't help you out in life at all, it just trains you to sit around and be a video game addict.
>>
Using smart but lazy as an excuse is like saying "I'm playing life on easy mode and failing."
>>
>>35264560
>100 percent

I bet you study a humanity or some lower stem subject at a mediocre Uni

No way you'd get 100% in a proper stem field at a global top 10 Uni without studying, irrespective of intelligence (unless you have a photographic memory, but that's not really intelligence)
>>
I'm a typical "smart but lazy" kinda dude.
>did ok in school , never studied a day
>failed collage
>got a decent job
>earning 15x the minimum wage in my country whiteout trying, or working hard for a day in my life

Its ok i guess. Wonder what would have happened if i actually applied myself.
>>
>>35264833
not as an excuse (there are none)

but probably as an ace in a pissing contest
>>
>>35262453
I agree. Smart but lazy simply isn't possible; if you were truly smart than you wouldn't be lazy.

Smart but overly emotional is a much bettet escuse.
>>
>>35264508
No interests and no ambition. Also I realised a couple of years before graduation that everything afterwards is just gonna suck because I hate work in general. I hate waking up early, I hate commitments, I hate responsiblity. After school, never again will I have this much free time, this much flexibility, this little duties. That's not much motivation to really start a career.
>>
>>35264833
People are often judged on their natural talents and qualities though, and implying you didn't work for what you have (even if it isn't much) makes you look more talented than you are. I know a ton of people at my Uni who pretend to study much less than they do, as they would rather be seen as lazy than as mentally inferior
>>
>>35264952
>Smart but lazy simply isn't possible; if you were truly smart than you wouldn't be lazy.

This is so fucking dumb. I can't believe you people actually make this argument.
>>
>>35264987
Just go to a great Uni and the tutor rich kids or some shit

There's always a way to make some easy money if you are extraordinarily takented
>>
Likely true. I'm trying to become dumb but hardworking but I have a lifetime of poor habits working against me. The worst part is that once you build a structure in your brain, you'll carry it with you your entire life. You can overcome it, but the pathways for that self destructive addictive behavior will always be there underneath.
>>
File: 1411158809228s.jpg (5KB, 250x219px) Image search: [Google]
1411158809228s.jpg
5KB, 250x219px
>>35262453
>tfw unironicaIIy smart but Iazy

l wouldn't wish this shit on my worst enemy
>>
>>35265034
And another thing I forgot to mention, I'm incredbily dependant. Once I had a bajillion opportunities and choices, I froze.
>>
File: Strange-Cat.jpg (21KB, 550x443px) Image search: [Google]
Strange-Cat.jpg
21KB, 550x443px
people that are actually smart but lazy become programmers

the entire job is just finding a way to implement something that works sufficiently but doesn't take much time to design. and you have to be capable of very abstract thought and have good problem solving skills to do it
>>
>>35264549
You usually don't really overcome it, just learn to take actions which put you into an emotional state in which you can actually get yourself to get shit done

>>35264614
Just actively learning and figuring out the rules behind activities and tasks gives you an incredible advantage. That's why many intelligent people seem to be so talented at everything, even though they really aren't, at least not in the way a brainlet is talented
>>
I' autistic but lazy. I get money via disability check. I imagine being smart but lazy is something like that. Do nothing, everything pays off anyways.
>>
>>35264621
>why require the results to matter for eternity?
I don't know about you, but I don't see the point in this existence unless there's an afterlife. If there isn't an afterlife and judgment of some sort, what's stopping anyone from indulging in hedonism? Without an afterlife, hedonism would be the only thing that matters. Putting in effort while your life is temporary is the same as drawing the most beautiful painting only to throw it in the fire afterwards. What's the point?

>"Noble" is very much a human judgement, just like "sloth" and "pride"
I don't believe it's exclusive to humans. I believe nobility is a universal thing. And I apply sloth and pride as well. I think both are harmful to not only ourselves but to our surroundings as well. Just because I don't chase materialistic things such as temporary success on a temporary planet that doesn't mean I am slothful or too prideful, it just means I have different goals.To me success is finding peace of mind, body and soul.

>Life after death in a religious sense?
Spirituality =/= religion. One can believe in an afterlife without having someone else force it down your throat.

>Lesson by whom?
The universal lesson of ending your suffering. The one constant thing in the universe is suffering, it happens to humans and animals so I assume it happens to beings from other planets as well. And as the Buddhist say, desire is the root of all suffering. Desire for success, the desire for anything really--even the desire to end your desire.
>And why make that assumption?
My common sense made the assumption, not me. If life is not a lesson then what is it? To me a universe that just exists with no purpose sounds like hogwash to me.
> Also how would you know what the lesson is supposed to be?
Our experiences are our greatest teachers, and my experiences have led me to this conclusion. I could be wrong of course, but this is the most rational explanation I could come up with.
>>
>>35264952
I'm smarter than you in every IQ test or whatever shitty tests you mongoloids use as an intelligence measure. I'm not even depressed, I'm legit lazy.
>>
>>35262453
lmao the other day I was talking to this girl and she literally used the phrase "I'm really smart but really lazy"

I nearly fucking burst out laughing because she's really arrogant and yet it's obvious she will never achieve anything
>>
>>35262738
>IQ of 136
Why do people lie so blatantly? IQ tests are designed so that the mean is 100 and one standard deviation is 15. If you're more than 2 standard deviations above the mean of a normal distribution, then you must be smarter than over 95% of the population. People that smart don't live in mommy's basement eating tendies all day. People that smart also don't tell such blatant lies.
>>
to much retard for you bruh
>>
>>35265111
Math is pretty similar in that it simply requires the right kind of abstract thought and problem solving skill to be good at it. I'm somewhat lazy, so I opted to choosing a career option that pays well but isn't too hard, so instead of doing something like getting a Ph.D, I instead go for something with good pay, but only requires a moderate amount of effort.
>>
>>35265191
Why do you confuse intelligence with the need to chase success? Do you think intelligent people are immune to apathy or something?
>>
>>35265191
Much like how some people fail video games on easy mode, some fail life on easy mode.
>>
>>35262453
smart people are often lazy because they're smart enough to do a cost benefit analysis and really think about their motivations for doing things. Idiots just accept whatever path society lays out for them and try to conform as best they can.
>>
>>35265119
Also a major part of it is simply developing habit. Once you make a habit of being hardworking, it's pretty easy to maintain. Once you initially break the habit of laziness, it just gets easier from there if you keep it up. Eventually it becomes second nature, and then doesn't require much mental effort at all.
>>
File: 1474147786682.png (98KB, 612x491px) Image search: [Google]
1474147786682.png
98KB, 612x491px
>tfw so intelligent it overwhelms my brain to the point where I can't use it and essentially making me a genius trapped in a brainlet's mind.
>>
>>35265282
I don't believe you, unless if you could actually explain it in a way that makes logical sense. Otherwise you just sound like a brainlet making excuses.
>>
>all these people swearing to god that they're lazy AND smart
Pathetic.
>>
>>35265355
>being so dumb you think they are mutually exclusive
>>
>>35265282
Legitimately sounds like Aspergers
>>
A lot of mildly intelligent people think they are lazy when, in reality, they are just afraid of failure.
They'd rather think they are "smart but lazy" than to actually try to achieve something they consider worthwhile and fail.
>>
>>35265617
I'll agree with that. Unfortunately I've rationalized that fear away with nihilism for so long that any value system I have is destroyed, making it impossible to get motivated to do anything.
>>
>>35265147
>I don't know about you, but I don't see the point in this existence unless there's an afterlife

Sure, there may not be an overall point. In a way, ther would only be a "point" or "purpose" if we had been created with one in mind, so in a religious way

>If there isn't an afterlife and judgment of some sort, what's stopping anyone from indulging in hedonism?

Nothing, only the effects in this life. Of course social rules and expectations are in place so that people have to behave in a way conductive to civilisation in order to achieve what they want

"Society grows great when old men plant tress whose shade they know they shall never sit in"

Life isn't really like a beautiful painting, poetic as it may sound

>I don't believe it's exclusive to humans. I believe nobility is a universal thing

Animals don't care about nobility, only humans care about the concept

>I have different goals.To me success is finding peace of mind, body and soul

Apathy isn't peace, and I highly doubt you live the life of a monk. Humans didn't evolve to be content, your very biology goes against that

>One can believe in an afterlife without having someone else force it down your throat

Why believe in an afterlife, and how would you "know" anything about it? Sounds like wishful thinking to me

>The one constant thing in the universe is suffering

Animals feel pain or stress, not psychological torment. If there was no life, there would be no suffering, it's hardly "constant"

>desire is the root of all suffering

Not to say it isn't good to let go of some things (mentally) but just because a natural instict for improvement feels bad doesn't tell you much about the universe, just about humans

>If life is not a lesson then what is it?

A process replicating itself, not for any reason but just as a result of the laws of physics?

>To me a universe that just exists with no purpose sounds like hogwash to me

argument from emotion?
>>
>>35262856
Sadly enough I am one of these, but what is bad about it to try to be the best version of yourself? I'm not good looking or smart but at least I don't want to end in a dead end job.
>>
>>35265617
This is probably the biggest obstacle for me, failure is horrifying, when a project or goal or assignment becomes another prospect for failure it also becomes an object of stress to just work on it, leading in procrastination and further laziness.
>>
>>35265680
You should practice failing. Sounds fucked up, but it works. Your ego is pampered because of lack of trying. Do not think, just try and fail. Eventually you won't fail as much.
>>
>>35265746
Fail at what? What am I supposed to be trying?
>>
>>35265838
Anything that you think it's worthwhile. Could be learning something new. Asking someone out. Making a piece of art, whatever. The only condition is that it should be hard to do, and that failing is likely. The point is getting issued to it, and not taking it so seriously.
>>
Why is "smart but lazy" such a popular discussion topic on this board?
>>
>>35265990
Because most people here are lazy. Myself included.
>>
This is the 100th reply in this thread... That is all.
>>
>>35265990
Because admitting your own inferiority is unpleasant, so every 110 IQ NEET thinks he's a misunderstood genius
>>
>>35266052
Hi Plebbit

Thanks for stopping by

Best be on your way now.... nothin personnel
>>
>>35265684

> ther would only be a "point" or "purpose" if we had been created with one in mind, so in a religious way

Who are you to say we haven't been? I mean all those religions which all basically say the same thing must've come from somewhere, right?

>"Society grows great when old men plant tress whose shade they know they shall never sit in"
But why care if you won't be there to see the enjoyment on their faces? Why be selfless at all?
>Animals don't care about nobility, only humans care about the concept
Animals don't care because they are for the most part instinctive creatures. I believe advanced alien races with an intelligence that matches or is greater than ours believe in the concept as well.
>Apathy isn't peace
Not caring about things that only bring you suffering isn't apathy, though. It is quite the opposite actually. It is done in favor of my mental health and well being.
>Why believe in an afterlife, and how would you "know" anything about it?
Why? Because like I said, life makes no sense to me without it.
And how? Astral projection and near death experiences. One may say these phenomenon are products of our brain in a delusional state, but since they can't really be proven with today's technology the discussion ends here. Although I doubt any kind of three-dimensional technology could comprehend other-dimensional (aka death) things.

>Animals feel pain or stress, not psychological torment
I think you are vastly underestimating animals. But yeah, humans suffer more than animals because animals constantly live in the present. Most of human suffering is mostly caused by our own overthinking about the future.
>>
>>35265684
(post got too long)

>just because a natural instict for improvement feels bad doesn't tell you much about the universe, just about humans
Humans are products of the universe. The universe spawns living beings the same way an apple tree spawns apples. I believe all creatures whether you were born on this planet or one billions of lightyears away may look different biologically, but we all share the same basic needs, and that is the need for comfort and love.

>not for any reason...
Maybe the universe just is...maybe. Until either of us comes with proof I believe we all have the right to believe whatever we want to believe, including believing in a meaningless universe.

>argument from emotion?
The fear of death is a useless emotion because all emotions would cease to exist in death if there were no afterlife, so no.
>>
>>35264952
>if you were truly smart than you wouldn't be lazy.
Doesn't follow, some people just don't want to admit that there are wasters who are more intelligent than them.
>>
I think "lazy" is in itself a lazy way to describe underachievers. As pointed out by a few other people ITT, many who act in a lazy manner are held back by a lack of emotional control/intelligence and fall into bad habits as a result.

I think I'm a relatively intelligent person, but I have failed at everything because I've never really felt the motivation to do anything beyond the bare minimum. It's not a good feeling. Antidepressants and psychotherapy haven't helped either, so I don't know.

tl;dr "lazy" is a symptom with dozens of potential causes
>>
>>35266388
Yeah, the only way to break out of it is to get into the habit of doing work early and experiencing the nice, rewarding feeling of finishing stuff early, or by actually enjoying the stuff you're doing.
Also caffeine helps.
>>
File: 1368962729355.jpg (96KB, 724x720px)
1368962729355.jpg
96KB, 724x720px
>>35265021
>>35265164
>>35266263
Well then faggots, if your so smart why haven't you figured out a way to not be lazy?
>>
>>35264898
I'm taking computer science so you are right
I'm not in stem
>>
>>35266650
too lazy to implement solution
>>
>>35264208
and then he joined the military
>>
>>35262453
Nigga I passed collage without opening a book a single time.
Get on me level cunt.
>>
>>35266674
But thought without action is meaningless, you've done the equivalent of nothing. A smart person wouldn't do nothing.
>>
File: 1484961126344.jpg (116KB, 410x1088px)
1484961126344.jpg
116KB, 410x1088px
>>35266650
That girl looks good naked
>>
>>35262738
125 IQ reporting in, exactly the same as you. Think I might write a novel one of these days. Keep on keeping on bro.
>>
>"There is no such thing as being "smart but lazy", you are just unintelligent."
>be lazy
>only put half-ass effort into assignments, labs, and tests
>still graduate college with 4.0 with double bachelors in economics and physics
Try harder to not project so badly next time, OP. Just because you have to work hard to achieve success doesn't mean there's people like me who easily achieve it with minmal work.
>>
>>35266903
tbf, you did put in enough effort to actually do the assignments labs and tests, and most people half-ass everything anyway.
Although I do agree that there is such thing as being smart and lazy. Smart people can usually achieve much more though with a lot less effort.
>>
File: 1488581213167.png (206KB, 800x800px)
1488581213167.png
206KB, 800x800px
>>35266767
You can't just pile on No True Smartsman without any real justification dude
>there is no such thing as a smart person who isn't a billionaire
>>
Are we really underachievers? Or have we just figured out that doing things isn't worth the effort required?

People assume there's not intelligence there unless it's serving the purposes of the group.
>>
>>35262738
>>35266829
>claims to be high IQ
>Is an entry level nihilist
Cringe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect
>>
>>35267322
Isn't it ironic how most people who talk about the Dunning-Kruger Effect the ones who display it the most?
>>
>>35267493
Not really surprising. Those who care about being smarter than others will use anything to make themselves feel smarter.
>>
I agree. I think it mostly comes from people who did really well in high school without effort and think they are smart when in reality high school is piss easy. If you did well in school it just meant you weren't retarded not really smart.
>>
>>35267726
I'd say that is the case even for college.

The hard part starts when creating original work.
>>
>>35266195

>Who are you to say we haven't been? I mean all those religions which all basically say the same thing must've come from somewhere, right?

Most religions aren't actually that sinilar unless they influenced each other. E.g. The abrahamic religions are similar, but some mayan religion or buddhism are very different. Also the point was mostly that you were implying the existence of some higher being with the way you see things, but didn't seem to explicitly state that or commit to that idea

>Why be selfless at all?

No purpose in that on an individual basis other than some general enjoyment depending on societal influences and your basic instincts

>Animals don't care because they are for the most part instinctive creatures. I believe advanced alien races with an intelligence that matches or is greater than ours believe in the concept as well

They might. Or they may develop a very different system of behaviours and values depending on how they adapted to their environment in terms of insticts, group behaviours etc.

>Not caring about things that only bring you suffering isn't apathy, though

Sure, but it's easy to overshoot and not have any goals at all anymore, or to let go of too much

>Why? Because like I said, life makes no sense to me without it

That doesn't make it true

>Astral projection

Pls

>near death experiences. One may say these phenomenon are products of our brain in a delusional state, but since they can't really be proven with today's technology the discussion ends here

Not really evidence or even a clue then is it

>Although I doubt any kind of three-dimensional technology could comprehend other-dimensional (aka death) things

Technology doesn't "comprehend" and why would death be "other-dimensional"?

>Most of human suffering is mostly caused by our own overthinking about the future

That's true, not disputing it
>>
>>35267322
Nice dubs, but I'm the kind of person who doesn't bother with things unless I'm good at them, so the Dunning Kruger meme can't actually apply to me.
>>
High school is easy and IQ doesnt matter. You can only be considered to be "smart but lazy" if you have done at least two years in college and if you didn't drop out because of shit grades. The major or school doesn't even matter in this discussion since few will actually meet the above criteria.
>>
>>35267888
I agree college is also easy until you get to advanced courses. Even then it just a matter of effort and research, not really intelligence.
>>
>>35267493
>using the word most twice in the same sentence
>misunderstanding irony
>obviously bullshit claim
You're baiting aren't you, you dumb cunt?

>>35267527
I don't care about being smarter than dumb cunts. I was just pointing out to him that he's a retard because he thinks he isn't.
And anyway, how am I the one who "cares about being smarter than others"?
Do you see me posting my IQ on an anonymous image board followed by a borderline retarded paragraph of gibberish that you'd expect to find in some 16 year olds diary? Nah, you don't.

Nihilism faggots need to fuck off.

>>35267966
>Cognitive bias
>Meme
>I'm the kind of person who doesn't bother unless I'm good at them
Thanks for confirming that you are, in fact, a dribbling retard.
>>
>>35266214

>Humans are products of the universe. The universe spawns living beings the same way an apple tree spawns apples

The apple tree spawns apples to further its own survival, the universe doesn't appear to be significantly effected by whether or not it contains life (at least not so far, we'll see what humanity will achieve in the future). Either way, that's not a very well fitting comparison

>I believe all creatures whether you were born on this planet or one billions of lightyears away may look different biologically, but we all share the same basic needs, and that is the need for comfort and love.

Need are there to make a creature survive and produce offspring. Not even all life on earth shares the same needs, why would something that may have evolved independently of earths flora and fauna share the same needs as humans and some select animals?

>Maybe the universe just is...maybe. Until either of us comes with proof I believe we all have the right to believe whatever we want to believe, including believing in a meaningless universe

Just guessing is a whole lot more likely to be way off than saying what you can justify and admitting to what you don't know. Emotions and believing what makes you feel better are especially bad reasons

Honestly you're not being very consistent. On the one hand you act jaded and cynical about achieving things in life, then choose to believe in outlandish things like "astral projection" etc because you feel like you wouldn't like a world without it, then argue about how "love and comfort" are some universal needs and actually do matter

I see some general basics, but bo consistent foundation
>>
>>35267969
I'm about to graduate from one of the best colleges in the world with a STEM degree. Attended maybe 1/3 of lectures this year, probably less and studied a week before exams whilst watching TV series in the background. Even then just 20 hours or so in total for a years worth of exams

Am I smart but lazy yet?

Say yes and validate my humblebrag, above which I have cleverly raised myself by means of this totally witty comment
>>
>>35268140
yes congrats.
preemptive original
>>
>>35268000
Anon, I will just say this. Your counter arguments suck, but your gets are legit.
>>
>>35268140
>he thinks that's wit
I don't think you're as smart as you'd like to believe, kemosabe.

>>35268228
They suck so much that you couldn't refute them?
>Caring about post numbers
True sign of the plebeian.

What next, you tell me you're an atheist and think Elon Musk is a genius?
>>
>>35268140
I'll validate because of honesty, good job mate!
>>
File: 1344475768896.jpg (39KB, 541x673px)
1344475768896.jpg
39KB, 541x673px
>>35268000
You just sound like an average contrarian parroting someone else from 4chan.

>haha look at me I'm such a cynic everyone but me is retarded xD
>not aware of the irony
>>
>>35268343
Ad hominem and conjecture.
Are you even trying?
>>
>>35262738
>I have an IQ of 136 and I'm a 25
>I just realized that whatever I do in life doesn't really matter
I've got an IQ of 100 and realized this at 13?
>>
ive been thinking about this alot lately as it relates to me quite a bit. i think there is in fact people who are quite intelligent, but for whatever reason are not good at taking action, resulting in nothing ever getting acomplished.

this could be out of anxiety, or actual lazyness (which is often a symptom of depression)

but then theres people who aren't that smart but quite successful because they never stop to ask themselves why, they just do , do , do, act act act. then they hit 40 and wonder what the fuck they did with their life.

i feel the healthy balance is a mix between the two
>>
>>35268382
Ever heard of cognitive dissonance? Right now you're displaying it in an obvious manner.
>>
File: 1486760252181.gif (765KB, 350x249px) Image search: [Google]
1486760252181.gif
765KB, 350x249px
>>35268480
>multiple spelling errors
>can barely write a coherent sentence
>generalisations galore
>healthy balance of the two

Hahaaaaaaaaaahahahahah
>>
>>35268544
>Cognitive dissonance
Explain to me how so?
You must misunderstand what it even means.
Try and refute any point I've made instead of attacking my personage, you pleb cunt.
>>
>>35268600
If you're unable to admit you're ever even a little bit wrong, then you're displaying cognitive dissonance. The fact that you're getting so defensive makes it much more apparent. Part of cognitive dissonance is where the person isn't aware of it, or that they could ever be experiencing it.
>>
>>35268566

kill yourself nerd
>>
>>35268068
>the universe doesn't appear to be significantly effected by whether or not it contains life

But consciousness affects the universe. I might even go as far as to say that the universe couldn't exist without a conscious observer.

>why would something that may have evolved independently of earths flora and fauna share the same needs as humans and some select animals?
Because as beings evolve they realize cooperation will get them to their end-goals easier and faster. It's not a matter of biology, just a matter of realizing that 4 hands do the job quicker than 2. Humans have only gotten this far because we learned how to work together, I think it's a matter of common sense that aliens would have the same priorities.
>Just guessing is a whole lot more likely to be way off than saying what you can justify and admitting to what you don't know.
If I am right and there is an afterlife that means we have a soul, maybe we all have some sort of memory of what the afterlife is like since it's where our souls come from. If I am wrong and there isn't a soul, it wouldn't really matter what we believe because reality will cease to exist with your death. I don't think the realization of one's mortality will improve the world at all because it would mean the concept of morality is just a made up thing for the benefit of society. You would only have to be afraid of being caught, everything else but your own personal pleasure would be meaningless.
>>
>>35268197
>>35268336
Thanks

>>35268289
>he thinks he has deciphered all the levels of irony and autistic cringe in my comment

U are like a baby....
>>
>Underachiever is a synonym for "idiot".

No, the two have very distinct meanings.

>There is no such thing as being "smart but lazy"

Why don't you think it is possible to be smart and lazy at the same time?
>>
>>35268681
Point out where I'm wrong then faggot.
I'll wait.

>>35268809
There was nothing to decipher in your post other than that you're a dribbling mong.
>>
>>35268857

because hes autistic

org
>>
>>35265191
Are you fucking stupid dude? Do you seriously think because something is 95th percentile that it doesn't exist?
Even one 1/100th of the world's population is massive, there are many, many people with that level of intelligence or greater. Even if we accept that intelligence is some indicator of potential success, it is just that, an indicator of potential. There are probably plenty of losers with high IQ, I'm one of them. IQ doesn't translate directly 1 for 1 into success or desire for money and status.
>>
>>35268943
>There are probably plenty of losers with high IQ, I'm one of them
Lmao comedy gold
>>
>>35268743
Also I forgot about the last part of your post
>On the one hand you act jaded and cynical about achieving things in life, then choose to believe in outlandish things like "astral projection"
I may seem jaded because I refuse to be a part of society's need for its lemmings to chase success (since society couldn't exist without it,) but I'm not. I have goals, they are just more spiritual goals rather than physical goals. Other people may see a hefty paycheck as success, and people like me see enlightenment as success. I'm not saying one is better than the other, they are just different pages of the same book.
I understand the confusion, I guess I should've been clearer with my words. Whenever I speak against success I mean the materialistic type of success. You know, a good job, having lots of money, etc. They may bring you comfort but they won't bring you happiness.
>>
>>35262453
well if you have dyscalculia or ADHD or ADD you will always fail academically until treated, even dumb people can get good grades etc its all pretty basic unless you have a mental disorder holding you back
>>
>>35268743
>But consciousness affects the universe. I might even go as far as to say that the universe couldn't exist without a conscious observer

Oh boy, cue the ramble containing poorly understood bits of popsci quantum mechanics, because I'm pretty sure that's what that is based on. Protip: it's wrong

>Because as beings evolve they realize cooperation will get them to their end-goals easier and faster. It's not a matter of biology, just a matter of realizing that 4 hands do the job quicker than 2. Humans have only gotten this far because we learned how to work together, I think it's a matter of common sense that aliens would have the same priorities.

Sure. That need not express itself in exactly the same way though, for instance even insects have vastly different instincts and needs whilst cooperating much more than humans do. Some argument can be made that other intelligent species would have to have similar needs, but that's really hard to get a good grasp on without actually having found life, much less intelligent life, anywhere else in the universe

>If I am right and there is an afterlife that means we have a soul, maybe we all have some sort of memory of what the afterlife is like since it's where our souls come from. If I am wrong and there isn't a soul, it wouldn't really matter what we believe because reality will cease to exist with your death

So it's just a guess? Either way, that "it won't matter if I'm wrong" argument doesn't really work given that you live your life very differently from how you mght live it with a different mindset. You can definitely miss out because of it

> I don't think the realization of one's mortality will improve the world at all because it would mean the concept of morality is just a made up thing for the benefit of society.

Basically, yes. Humans aren't really perfectly sociopathic though, and obviously society usually has something in place to counteract antisocial behaviour
>>
>>35269038
The point was that you don't believe in some things because they seem useless or illogical, but then believe in extremely illogical or plain made up things like astral projection. That's hardly critical thinking
>>
>>35268863
>how am I the one who "cares about being smarter than others"?
The fact that you're taking the time to try to rationalize to yourself how everyone else is an idiot makes it plainly obvious you do care about being smarter than others. And naturally, instead of admitting you could be even a little bit wrong, you will instead display cognitive dissonance by denying it completely, since you've created a fantasy in your mind that you can never be wrong since you're insecure about your intelligence.
>>
>>35269038
>I refuse to be a part of society's need for its lemmings to chase success
Where to even begin...
>people like me see enlightenment as success
You must be very enlightened since you make platitudinous statements on an anime image board. Tell me, wise one... just how happy are you with your life?
>You know, a good job, having lots of money, etc. They may bring you comfort but they won't bring you happiness.
You genuinely believe that money which affords you security and the ability to do whatever the fuck you want, and a job that gives you sense of belonging don't make you happy? Have you ever had a job?

You're too stupid to realise just how stupid you are.
>>
>>35267322
>Dunning-Kruger meme

Brought up every time someone wants to feels smart and pull a non-argument

>>35268000
Thinking excessive insults make his "arguments" hit harder

Yep, plebbit fedora lord detected
>>
>>35269147
So he continues with the conjecture and ad hominem anyway...
You're real smart, bro! What did you say your IQ was again?! 2000?
>>
>>35269236
see>>35268000
Make an argument then instead of personal attacks.
How stupid do you have to be to mention "pull a non-argument" while pulling a non-argument?
>>
>>35267902
Also didn't see this entire post lol
>Most religions aren't actually that sinilar unless they influenced each other
They all preach the same thing: treat each other as you would want to be treated.
>but didn't seem to explicitly state that or commit to that idea
Because it's too specific. God may be a single being or it could be the collective consciousness or something else. I have no idea so I try to stay away from it.
>No purpose in that on an individual basis other than some general enjoyment
Then that would mean all acts are selfish and that the concept of selfless doesn't exist.
>Or they may develop a very different system of behaviours and values depending on how they adapted to their environment in terms of insticts, group behaviours etc.
A world has to be hostile in order for beings to evolve--to work together, etc. If a world was paradise from the very beginning I doubt it would sprout any intelligent life.
>Sure, but it's easy to overshoot and not have any goals at all anymore
But maybe in that letting go there lies the seed of enlightenment--to empty your mind completely so you can absorb the world as it is.
>That doesn't make it true
I never said so.
>Pls
Don't knock it before you try it my man.
>Not really evidence or even a clue then is it
I never presented my argument as evidence. I just think it's weird why our brain would give us these visions of an ''afterlife'' if it doesn't really benefit us from an evolutionary point of view.
>Technology doesn't "comprehend" and why would death be "other-dimensional"?
*could make us comprehend
You know what I meant m8 don't be a cheeky cunt
>and why would death be "other-dimensional"?
Why wouldn't it be?
>>
>>35268995
It wasn't meant to be comedy, but my life is pretty much a joke anyways so maybe it is.
>>
>>35269304
>makes a bunch of "arguments" consisting of insults and picking out mistakes like using a word twice

>expects well though out arguments in return

You determine the type of discourse you get, and not starting with a proper argument will just get you some shitposts and personal attacks
>>
>>35262738
>b-but muh iq!
these people are like the people in overwatch who choose to play hanzo when the team needs a healer or tank, lose terribly, and then say "b-but I had the most elims!"
>>
>>35269399
That wasn't my argument, that was just my post.
You're a fucking retard.

My argument was that these posts:
>>35267493
>>35267966
>>35267527
>>35268343
>>35268681
Are all non-arguments posted by morons.
>>
>>35269237
? I never said my IQ, I haven't taken an IQ test. I don't really care, I'm just having fun triggering pretentious assholes who need to attack other peoples intelligence to validate themselves.
>>
>>35269546
More conjecture and ad hominem. Lmao.
Can he make it 4 in a row?
>>
>>35269511
They worked enough to trigger you though, almost as if that was what their purposes were...
>>
>>35263562
I'm glad someone made this point so quickly after the "muh nee che nialism" bullshit was spouted, nothing triggers me more
>>
>>35269090
> Protip: it's wrong
You would conclude that if someone were to make such a bold statement he would provide us with proof.
>Some argument can be made that other intelligent species would have to have similar needs
I believe emotions and intelligence are just two sides of the same coin. But I guess we can indeed not prove that unless we observe an intelligent life form from another planet.
>So it's just a guess?
I guess that's what it can be reduced to. I have never claimed to have proof so that was a given.
> You can definitely miss out because of it
Miss out on all the experiences of what exactly? I live life how I want to and based on what I think is right. The worst thing that will happen is that I'll miss out on dopamine entering my brain. (I assume you mean hedonistic pleasures)
> Humans aren't really perfectly sociopathic though
I think you could become sociopathic if you think about non-existence for too long. You'll just want to experience the most this world has to offer before death with little concern for other people.
h
>>
>>35269581
Saying ad hominem doesn't mean it's not true, all you're doing is describing what it is.
>>
>>35269586
They weren't all shitposters

>>35269679
No, that part was conjecture
Are you pretending to be stupid or what?
>>
>>35269337
>They all preach the same thing: treat each other as you would want to be treated

The Golden Rule is just a conceptualisation / rule for empathetic behaviour, not really suprising to have it appear in most cultures. Certainly not a proof that there is any truth to religion

>Then that would mean all acts are selfish and that the concept of selfless doesn't exist

The concept exists, it just often won't net you any reward or recognition to act this way. Yes, all acts are selfish in a way. Whether that's a nice thing to believe or not doesn't have any influence on whether the statement is true

>A world has to be hostile in order for beings to evolve--to work together, etc. If a world was paradise from the very beginning I doubt it would sprout any intelligent life.

Even paradise would become hostile very quickly with enough population growth. Most harsh environments on earth would never have allowed humans to evolve, and as it seems intelligence (at least pre-technolgy) doesn't really seem to be such a huge advantage or more species would've evolved to have it

>But maybe in that letting go there lies the seed of enlightenment--to empty your mind completely so you can absorb the world as it is

You can empty your mind for a while, but that's not a sustainable state. Denying your instincts will not make them go away, they will just affect your thoughts in a way you don't understand nor control

>I never presented my argument as evidence.

People don't usually get clear visions of an afterlife unless they're already religious. Also dreams are just as useless from that argument, but they still exist

>Why wouldn't it be?

The obvious observation is that death is just the end of the circulation of nutrients etc that is your life. Anything above and beyond needs to be proven or at least have a strong argument for it

Anyways, I'll have to go to bed

Nice to have an argument on here once in a while
>>
File: Ghost Pepe.gif (73KB, 640x571px) Image search: [Google]
Ghost Pepe.gif
73KB, 640x571px
>>35269719
>They weren't all shitposters
Mine were.
>>
>>35269617

>You would conclude that if someone were to make such a bold statement he would provide us with proof

I study physics and I've never seen one of those arguments not be complete bs based on a total misunderstanding of quantum physics. Not holding my breath there. Also can't really argue against it without knowing your reasoning

>I believe emotions and intelligence are just two sides of the same coin. But I guess we can indeed not prove that unless we observe an intelligent life form from another planet

I would agree that an intelligence requires instincts/ emotions to actually make it do things

>Miss out on all the experiences of what exactly? I live life how I want to and based on what I think is right. The worst thing that will happen is that I'll miss out on dopamine entering my brain. (I assume you mean hedonistic pleasures)

Not really, just any other way of living your life in general

>I think you could become sociopathic if you think about non-existence for too long

Thoughts won't change your instincts, at most overrule them temporarily

>You'll just want to experience the most this world has to offer before death with little concern for other people

Sure, that's not good for society. It's also not an argument though, at least not for the truth of a statement
>>
>>35269725
>They will just affect your thoughts in a way you don't understand nor control
There are thousands of monks who'd consider self-immolation if they read this.

>People don't usually get clear visions of an afterlife unless they're already religious
[citation needed]

>Also dreams are just as useless
[citation needed]

>Nice to have an argument on here once in a while
You call that argument? All you did was dribble some nonsensical shit onto a board already packed to the brim with it.
The guy you were "arguing" with was too stupid you call you out on obvious bullshit. You are a moron.
>>
File: Gleeful Pepe.jpg (48KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
Gleeful Pepe.jpg
48KB, 499x499px
>>35269719
>There was nothing to decipher in your post other than that you're a dribbling mong.
I don't know how anyone could describe this other than a pretentious asshole who needs to insult other peoples intelligence to validate his own. Plus you keep saying ad hominem as if it invalidates what the other person says, and then in the same post almost every time also use an ad hominem. It's laughably ironic. That's probably the best example of your cognitive dissonance, when you accuse someone of something negative but don't acknowledge when you do it yourself.
>>
File: 1481922963495.png (351KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1481922963495.png
351KB, 400x400px
>>35263523
>>35263481
Nihilism is merely a lens for breaking down your preconceived notions of reality. Once you realize that nothing matters, you come to understand that life is what you define it as. Your whole reality is dependent on your interpretation of it. Once you understand that fundamental principle, you eventually come to understand that anything truly is possible.
>>
>>35269214
>Where to even begin...
Just because I sound like a punk who unironically spouts shit like ''wake up sheeple'' doesn't make it any less true. Or do you think society cares about anything but its citizens productivity?
>You must be very enlightened since you make platitudinous statements on an anime image board.
Why does it matter where it is said? Do you see the people here as inferior to the people outside?
>just how happy are you with your life?
I am pretty content, thanks for asking.
>You genuinely believe that money which affords you security and the ability to do whatever the fuck you want and a job that gives you sense of belonging don't make you happy?

Security and belonging are just one of the basic needs. It may be required to reach happiness, but it's not something that can make you happy. There's plenty of unhappy millionaires for example.

And I disagree with your view and yet I haven't resorted to calling you stupid because I have respect for all. Why would you discredit everything you've said with that single impulsive need to lash out?
>>
>>35269858
Everything he wrote made perfect sense. You're just upset at him because he disagrees with you, which by the way, is a sign of emotional immaturity.
>>
>>35262453
intelligent=/=wise
>>
>>35269893
That's why I said ad hominem and conjecture, dumb cunt.
>Gets blown the fuck out
>"Y-you're just a pretentious asshole who needs to validate his own i-intelligence"
Lol, you don't have the required brainpower to comprehend irony, you fuckwit.
One could say your whole post was, "laughably ironic", though.

I destroyed your arguments AND called you a dumb cunt (ad hominem)
There is a difference.
>>
File: 1488243093985.jpg (73KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1488243093985.jpg
73KB, 612x612px
>>35263637
Schools let the so called *smart *ones study ahead with advanced classes. One who is truly smart however pursues the knowledge they desire of their own volition without waiting for it to be taught to them. The smart teach themselves, the dumb wait to be taught. Considering yourself smart because you got a certain letter or number does not make you smart, that just means you were propped up and your ego was inflated. One who is truly smart makes shit happen without need of someone else's command.
>>
>>35269858
>There are thousands of monks who'd consider self-immolation if they read this

Argument from authority not addressing the point

>People don't usually get clear visions of an afterlife unless they're already religious

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/peace-of-mind-near-death/

This covers a good chuck of what's happening with near death experiences

>Also dreams are just as useless

That was an argument, not a statement of fact
Shoo-shoo brainlet

Also 90% chance you're this guy >>35268000 who throws insults around and argues nothing
>>
>>35269725
>Certainly not a proof that there is any truth to religion
Again I never said I have proof.
>and as it seems intelligence (at least pre-technolgy) doesn't really seem to be such a huge advantage or more species would've evolved to have it

Just because dolphins haven't landed on the moon yet doesn't mean intelligence isn't evolving. It just takes a long fucking time.
>Denying your instincts will not make them go away,
Then explain how some monks can sit motionlessly when set on fire?
I've read about plenty of atheists who changed their beliefs after having a near death experience.
>Anything above and beyond needs to be proven
You acknowledge there are multiple dimensions, yes? If a soul exists then I don't think it would be three dimensional.

And yeah, I wish I read that last part before I typed all this shit down.
Have a nice dream, Anon.
>>
>>35269977
Oh wow, the cognitive dissonance just keeps getting better and better. I think this might be my new favorite pass time, triggering insecure pseudo-intellectuals. I can't wait to see what your next response is.
I think the best part from this particular post is you thinking saying the words ad hominem and conjecture repeatedly is an impressive counter-argument. Thanks for the chuckles, keep em coming!
>>
>>35269911
>Or do you think society cares about anything but its citizens productivity?
Since when did society become a single person?
>Why does it matter where it is said?
Because you're claiming you're all for "enlightenment" while posting on an image board that hosts nothing but green frog cartoons and pictures of chicks with dicks. Fuck off with your bullshit shtick already.
>Why would you discredit everything you've said with that single impulsive need to lash out?
Because there is nothing wrong with calling someone a cunt after destroying their non-arguments. This isn't an organised debate. Don't be so sensitive.
If you posted something worthy of respect, I wouldn't.

>>35269936
>You're just upset at him because he disagrees with you
Not an argument.
You see where it say [citation needed]?
Yeah, well, how about you post them and then we'll talk.
>>
>>35269977
>can't tell two posters apart
>posts like a brainlet

At least you're consistent, unfortunately very emotionally immature
>>
>>35270057
>This covers a good chuck of what's happening
It conveniently doesn't cover the chunk that's relevant to this argument though, eh?
The link you posted made no mention of religion. Try again, you fucking idiot.

>Shoo-shoo brainlet
But, you've failed to back up a single claim you've made with any form of evidence, lol.
>>
>>35270088
Bait/10
No one can be this stupid.
>>
>>35270104
So many people on 4chan these days who write things that do not make sense and when you explain to them how it does not make sense they immediately start saying "not an argument" or "citation needed", like it is some magical formula that makes their post intelligent.

I think if you are less than 25 you should just keep quiet and watch.
>>
>>35270117
Not an argument, again
>>
File: 1484967371363.jpg (44KB, 488x410px) Image search: [Google]
1484967371363.jpg
44KB, 488x410px
>>35270207
Guess the newfags don't listen when people say to lurk more. But then again, wiki how and urban dictionary could tell you most of what you need to know to blend in.
>>
>>35269838
>I study physics
Try to explain it in laymen terms then. Surely it's not impossible.
>. Also can't really argue against it without knowing your reasoning
My reasoning is that the universe couldn't exist without an observer.
>just any other way of living your life in general
Like what? You think I pray 8 hours a day or something?
>Thoughts won't change your instincts, at most overrule them temporarily
Those burning monks I mentioned earlier would like to have a word with you.
>at least not for the truth of a statement
I thought we've already come to the conclusion that neither of us can provide proof and that we were just having a philosophical debate.
>>
I massively "underachieved" during my first and second years at university because of constant depression.

I'm doing better now after I took a year out, there can be many reasons why you are not reaching your potential
>>
>>35270207
So many people on 4chan don't just believe your lies blindly?
And this is a bad thing, how, exactly?

Post proof to any claims you've made, and then we'll talk.
In my opinion, most people in this thread just want to mentally masturbate while chucking around words like "enlightenment", they don't actually want to get to the bottom of the topic at hand. They just want to bullshit for 30 minutes, back and forth with someone too dumb to call them out on their horseshit.
>>
>>35270079
I'll write a quick reply so you didn't waste your time

>Again I never said I have proof

It does seem to be an important part of your beliefs though, so you would probably want to substantiate it

>Just because dolphins haven't landed on the moon yet doesn't mean intelligence isn't evolving

Are they getting smarter though? Dolphins have been around for longer than humans have and don't seem to increase in intelligence. Maybe additional factors such as opposable thumbs, advanced speech etc are required for intelligence to keep being an advantage past a certain point. Either way, intelligence is remarkably rare all things considered. After all there are plenty of animals as smart as our ancestors were only a few million years ago, and life has been around for billions of years. Unlikely that intelligence is common and we just happen to be the first ones to get it
>Then explain how some monks can sit motionlessly when set on fire?

Self control. They still feel pain and have a survival instinct, but they can override it. Certainly impressive, but they won't remive the parts of the brain producing various hormones and chemicals just through willpower

>I've read about plenty of atheists who changed their beliefs after having a near death experience

Lots of people change their mind after extreme experiences. Either way, anecdotal stories can't really be tested so there isn't much of a point trying to tell whether someone really entered the afterlife or was just hallucinating

>You acknowledge there are multiple dimensions, yes?

Well we live in four... Might be more depending on which physical theory turns out to be accurate, we may find out over the next few decades

>If a soul exists then I don't think it would be three dimensional

Given that a soul is hardly a very well defined object nor has it ever been proven to exist I would say until there's some evidence that's like arguing what colours Santa Claus' boots are, it's just speculation
>>
>>35270262
see>>35270308
>"H-he asked me for proof?! Waahhh why don't they just believe me?!?"
>>
>>35270308
What are my lies? You were calling his post nonsensical, but the entire thing made perfect sense. You were clearly just using nonsensical as a way of saying "I disagree with you and therefore you are wrong".
>>
>>35270353
>What are my lies
Link me the exact post in which you didn't post unsubstantiated bullshit and were everything made perfect sense and then I'll tell you
>>
>>35270104
>Since when did society become a single person?
Never. Didn't imply that either and it's not the point. Only people you know have the capability to care about you, and those who rule over you don't know you nor do they care.
>while posting on an image board that hosts nothing but green frog cartoons and pictures of chicks with dicks.
Because I was once one of you and I climbed out of that hole. It would be selfish of me to abandon my people without trying to at least help them first.
>Because there is nothing wrong with calling someone a cunt after destroying their non-arguments
You didn't destroy shit except my willingness to reply to you.
>Don't be so sensitive.
You think I'm crying? I'm just trying to make you see that calling someone names just makes you seem immature.
>If you posted something worthy of respect,
Because name-calling is worthy of respect, huh?
>>
>>35270405
I think it is pretty clear from my post that I am another person.
>>
File: 1488207611025.png (279KB, 898x790px) Image search: [Google]
1488207611025.png
279KB, 898x790px
>>35262453
>some deluded people handwave their failure with "smart but lazy"
>to be contrarian other people decide it's not even possible to be smart but lazy
whoa
>>
>>35270434
So what the fuck are you talking about then, you moron?
I'm simply asking for the guy to post a shred of evidence to back up his bullshit claims.
>>
>>35270199
This entire thread has been bait mate, but at least it was entertaining.
>>
>>35270274
>Try to explain it in laymen terms then. Surely it's not impossible

Can't really explain the entirety of quantum physics. Anyways, the observation affecting the probability distribution isn't dependant on a conscious observer, it's just an interaction with a particle or wave which carries the information out of the system. Either way, it doesn't say anything about consciousness

>My reasoning is that the universe couldn't exist without an observer

Well nobody would formulate the though that it exists, whether that means it actually wouldn't exist would be a bit of a stretch but I'm sure you could try and reason it

>Like what? You think I pray 8 hours a day or something?

Like try and achieve some conventional things, have children, or really whatever else. There's many ways to live your life, and depending on your views you will obviously put yourself on some path

>thought we've already come to the conclusion that neither of us can provide proof and that we were just having a philosophical debate.

Philosophy is another word for speculation, it still follows logic and proof
>>
>>35270463
This is the reason why people like you should just stay silent. You can't even be bothered to read 2 lines worth of reply. You would rather get worked up, because someone doesn't agree with your religious ideas.
>>
>>35270419
>and those who rule over you don't know you nor do they care.
It's another bitter anon vs. the "man" diatribe. Oh please.

>Because I was once one of you and I climbed out of that hole. It would be selfish of me to abandon my people without trying to at least help them first.
Lmao. You never left. All you did was decorate it, you insufferable tit.

>You didn't destroy shit
Still waiting for a single shred of evidence to back up your largely horseshit claims, compadre.

>calling someone names just makes you seem immature.
Who gives a fuck. If you don't like it and are so "enlightened", why don't you just ignore it and focus on the rest of my post? Gotcha there, didn't I?
>>
>>35270497
>Still no proof posted
>Still ad hominem
>Still conjecture
And now trying to silence the opposition too?
Laughable.
>>
>>35270566
Proof of what? That you think I'm another poster, and can't be bothered to read what I wrote, even though it was just a few lines?

How is any of my post even conjecture? Point to the specific part of my post that you think is conjecture. I honestly think you are just using a bunch of words you don't know the meaning of to sound smart.
>>
File: 1487274762532.jpg (209KB, 1400x907px) Image search: [Google]
1487274762532.jpg
209KB, 1400x907px
>>35270336
>It does seem to be an important part of your beliefs though
Not really. It is based on my personal experiences but I know that doesn't prove anything.

>Dolphins have been around for longer than humans have and don't seem to increase in intelligence.
But we have only been observing dolphins for maybe a couple of centuries at best. Such a short time span isn't nearly enough to come to such conclusions. Maybe dolphins used to be dumb as fuck and we just evolved faster because we live on land and have thumbs.
>but they won't remive the parts of the brain producing various hormones and chemicals just through willpower
Well my point is that instincts can only control us if we let it.
> that's like arguing what colours Santa Claus' boots are, it's just speculation
We are having a speculative philosophical discussion, yes.
This isn't about who's wrong or right, let's not forget that.

But I believe we have gone deep enough for today, I don't want you to miss out on sleep because we both want the last word so I'll give you back your freedom by promising I won't reply to your next post.

Have this comfy picture so you can dream about it.
>>
>>35270593
Conjecture
"an opinion or conclusion formed on the basis of incomplete information."
See: your whole post.

>Proof of what
I don't care if you're another poster, you fucking mong. What the fuck are you even posting about? Link me to the post of yours that I apparently didn't read.
You see in this post>>35269858 where it says [citation needed]? That is what I'm waiting for. I don't know what the fuck you're going on about, you dense cunt.
>>
>>35270678
What information would I need in order for my post to not be conjecture?

You did not read my post. You confused me with another poster. These are facts.

Once you calm down, maybe you will be able to sit back and watch more intelligent people talk.

and I do look forward to your next inane post claiming I didn't make an argument or that I need to post citations.
>>
>>35262453
>I did well in school/perform well on iq tests/have a wealth of knowledge in certain areas/demonstrate intelligence in some other general way that society gauges intelligence but am lazy
>Well that's not REAL INTELLIGENCE you retard!
Fuck off op, the only unintelligent person here is you. Being intelligent and being lazy aren't mutually exclusive in the slightest and your shitty word games to try and redefine "intelligence" with definitions literally no one besides yourself uses doesn't change shit.
>>
>>35270491
Don't know who is who anymore so I'll reply anyway (sorry if you are the dude who wants to go to bed)
> it's just an interaction with a particle or wave which carries the information out of the system.
And how exactly would reality look like if there was zero interaction with said particle/wave?
>but I'm sure you could try and reason it
Nah it's just the fallen tree in the forest all over again; it has been done before.
>Like try and achieve some conventional things,
Having complete control over my actions and thoughts seems like a good achievement to me. Everything else will come to me if need be.
>it still follows logic
Correct
>and proof
Then it wouldn't be philosophy, would it?
>>
>>35270754
>What information would I need in order for my post to not be conjecture?
Well since your whole post was just your personal take on my personality and my apparent reasons for posting (which it's impossible for you to know, obviously) I'd say just about all of it was conjecture with some generalisations and false assertions thrown in for good measure.

You still didn't link me to your post that I apparently didn't read, so I'm starting to think you're just baiting.

>Once you calm down
Oh, more conjecture

>you will be able to sit back and watch more intelligent people talk
You'll be staying silent I take it?

Go read a book or something, dumb cunt. Your stupidity is showing.
>>
>>35270541
>It's another bitter anon vs. the "man" diatribe.
It's another Anon who thinks being condescending counts as an argument. Oh please.
>Lmao. You never left.
Yeah I'm still here, but in an entirely different state of mind. I guess you could call that decoration, I don't really mind.
>Still waiting for a single shred of evidence to back up your largely horseshit claims
Do you not understand what speculative philosophy is or something?
>why don't you just ignore it and focus on the rest of my post?
You mean every single thing I've replied to already to which you blatantly replied back with petty insults and non-arguments?
>>
>>35270860
So me saying you are angry is conjecture, but you saying I am stupid is not.

I would say the evidence for the former is a lot more apparent. I guess that since you are very angry right now, your brain is not functioning properly, so I will refrain from stating that you are a very unintelligent person.
>>
File: index.jpg (7KB, 266x190px)
index.jpg
7KB, 266x190px
>>35270541
>couple of people are having a philosophical discussion
>OMG POST PROOFS WHERE ARE PROOFS?!?!?!?

There's always that one fucking guy.
>>
>>35270910
>speculative philosophy
Mate, you're just babbling about common pseudo-intellectual tier bullshit. Don't kid yourself. It's the kind of shit people talk about when they're high as a kite and then the next day they wake up embarrassed and go, "Shit, I was talking bullshit again wasn't I?"

You're just butchering someone else's opinion that you read one time on Reddit, or something and I'm just here to tell you that you're full of shit and I'm not buying it, that's all.

Also, making the claims you did has nothing to do with speculative philosophy, so don't try back track because you can't produce a single piece of evidence to support your made up post
>>
>>35270973
>Philosophical discussion
The guy claimed that "dreams are useless" and "people don't get clear visions of afterlife unless they're already religious"

Fuck off, you stupid cunt.
>>
File: spongebob.jpg (9KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
spongebob.jpg
9KB, 275x183px
I had a scholarship for a fancy private school when I was 8. I was put in a separate class of 4 other kids for certain subjects because we were so far ahead of others. I later won student of the year at my college. Still got the trophy.

I am "smart but lazy"... or, rather, "smart but really depressed and just want to sleep all day".

I got a job as a product designer for sample books (carpets, curtains etc). But I quit because the pressure was too high. I just called my boss one day, apologized, and said I won't be coming in again.

I never really tried at school. It all came so naturally to me. I never did the homework. Yet I still did better than 9/10 kids in my classes. I had the potential to have any job I wanted.

I worked on making websites for a while, but I found it frustrating to learn some of the more technical parts. I also found myself procrastinating and not really getting any work done.

Ten years after college, and I now work as a delivery driver. I love it. I'm all by myself. I don't have to talk to anyone. I just stay below the speed limit and turn the wheel for 9 hours a day. It's easy. I just have to talk to some immigrants every hour or so as I make a delivery.

Being academically smart isn't enough to succeed. You need to also be driven, confident, and wanting to make something of your life.

All of the book smarts in the world won't help you if all you want to do is be by yourself and play video games. Why would I want to be a doctor when I am scared to death of people and think about suicide when I am out of my comfort zone?
>>
>>35270920
bait/10
no one can be this stupid lol
>>
>>35271067
>he thinks people get visions of an afterlife
>he requires evidence from other people
>>
>>35271047
You wrote down 3 sentences when you could've just simply said ''I AM SMART YOU ARE NOT NANANANANA''

I remember when I was a 17 year old contrarian, oh how the time flies.
>>
>>35271093
it is funny you say that, because I am more and more convinced you must be a woman.
>>
>>35262453
Being an underachiever or smart but lazy is actually worse than being an idiot. If you're an idiot there is a reason for your failures, and more room for praise when succeeding.

Underachieving or being smart but lazy is just wasted potential. It is a computer that is never turned on or food that expired before being touched.
>>
>>35262738
Jackass
>>
>>35271067
You seem very angry, I think meditation would help you soothe down.

I am being srs btw, calm down my man. This anger only makes you seem like your emotions control you which isn't a very attractive trait desu.
>>
>>35271112
>you could've just simply said ''I AM SMART YOU ARE NOT NANANANANA''
I agree, but I want to help you stop being stupid.
>>
Stupid AND lazy

I win
>>
>>35271163
>Swear words on the internet must mean anger
You're very sensitive, aren't you cunt?
>>
>>35271169
And I want you to stop letting your ego control you.
>>
>>35271190
Yeah, randomly insulting strangers is a part of proper debate etiquette. It is in no way a sign of frustration.
>>
File: 1486065394462.png (148KB, 222x293px) Image search: [Google]
1486065394462.png
148KB, 222x293px
>>35271190
People who swear too much are just insecure that they are not being heard and feel like throwing big boy words around will make people notice them more.

You're a fucking lap dog who barks too much, that's what you are.
>>
>>35271202
>Speaking of ego controlling people
Can't post evidence to back up any of his claims but is calling others stupid.
How's that work?
>DUDE EGO DEATH LMAO
>Dude i've ascended to the next realm join me
>>
>>35271150
There's always a reason for your failures, it's just a little harder to pick out if you're classifying it with an umbrella as large as lazy.
Why are you lazy? How did you come to be lazy?
What are the actual factors involved?
Certainly just trying to brute force things would be better than nothing, but it seems unlikely to change a deeply ingrained behavior without some sort of targeted effort.
>>
>>35271236
Since when was this a proper debate? This is 4chan, you monkey.
Read this whole thread. I called someone a cunt in my very first post, it doesn't mean I was raging, you loser.

>>35271248
Is that so?
Can you prove that or are you just making it up as you go along?
It's only a word, mate. Why don't you ignore the naughty words if they bother you?
>>
>>35271296
The place is completely irrelevant. You are clearly upset. A calm person has no problem explaining things, but you were angry and insecure from the get go.
>>
>>35271253
>Can't post evidence to back up any of his claims
How the fuck can anyone prove life after death? Think before you speak.
>but is calling others stupid.
I never said such things, you're confusing me for someone else.
>DUDE MEMEING INSTEAD OF ARGUING LMAO
>>
>>35271248
Some of us are just genuinely angry people. it's not an affectation.
>>
File: 1443926863363.png (4KB, 408x455px) Image search: [Google]
1443926863363.png
4KB, 408x455px
I've always been smart but lazy. I've never experienced being an underachiever though. I just put in the bare minimum to get my A. That way I'm free to continue on whatever I currently find more interesting, usually something to do with alcohol.

Adderall is amazing for us smart but lazies. I have a fragile ego and would probably be suicidal if I ever made a B.
>>
>>35271325
If you say so

>>35271330
>Implying that was the only claim you made.
Nice try bro!

>ARGUING
I'm playing with you at this point. You've been royally turned over and fisted multiple times
>>
>>35271296
>Can you prove that or are you just making it up as you go along?
Small dogs always bark the loudest, it's common sense ya fuckin queer.

And if you know I'm gonna ignore your dumb shit you might as well not waste your time typing it down.. I'm done with your shit for now, I'm gonna go and fuck your mom now, peace.
>>
>>35271388
Learning that there are millions of people as smart as you even if you're a 1 percenter (or less) really crushes the ego as well.
>>
>>35271389
>You've been royally turned over and fisted multiple times

You are as delusional as you are loudmouthed.
>>
>>35271374
You aren't angry for no reason. Even if you don't know the reason.

I think a common cause for anger is impotence. A feeling that you can't do someting. The body responds by mustering up all your passion into what becomes your anger.
>>
File: 1480083101702.png (64KB, 658x901px) Image search: [Google]
1480083101702.png
64KB, 658x901px
>>35262453
please... i didn't need to hear this truth.
>>
>>35271399
Post proof that swearing too much means you're inscure.
>Im gna fukkk your mom
Typical 12 year old comment to match your 12 year old level of intellect
>>
>>35271446
>Delusional
Didn't you make the claim that dreams were useless a minute ago, and that "the man" is out to get you or some such shit? Lol
>>
>>35271494
It is not the fact that you are using swear words. It is the fact that you are purposely insulting people.

It can mean two things. That you are trolling, or that you are angry.
>>
>>35271494
I was just trying to make you see how childish it looks if you behave like that.

I've taught you a lesson today and it will stick with you forever.

Hahahahahaha
Hahahahahahahaha
I'm a part of you now, fool. Just 15 billion more steps until you've reached my level. ;)

Have a nice day, I'm out now for reals.
PEACE NIGGA
>>
>>35271522
You are confused on multiple levels. I can guarantee you that those are 2 entirely different people.
>>
>>35271557
I wonder what it's like to be this satisfied over basically doing nothing, if I were like you maybe I would be perpetually happy.
>>
File: 1443926608878.png (3KB, 313x256px) Image search: [Google]
1443926608878.png
3KB, 313x256px
>>35271437

I never really thought of it that way. I guess that makes me a glass 99% full kind of man. I'm better than most people, and just like getting an A that's good enough. I have more pressing concerns once I top up my ego fuel tank.

There's always someone younger, smarter, faster, richer, whatever. This is why we have starving children in Africa. You're supposed to look down on those beneath you and feel smug. Not look up and despair.
>>
>>35271550
>It can mean two things
Two things and two things only! Why? Because this fat virgin said so!
... Try again, for fuck sake.

>>35271557
I don't care how "childish" it looks, you stupid cunt.
I guess you're lesson didn't really work, eh?

>>35271580
That's alright if it's not the same person.
>>
>>35271591
>I'm better than most people
I doubt it
>>
>>35271626
Name another thing it could mean.
>>
>>35271591
>You're just supposed to look down on those beneath you and feel smug. Not look up and despair.
I don't think I can really help it. I feel like there's nothing good about me other than my intelligence, so knowing I'm not even that good in that aspect makes me feel even more mundane and powerless.

I kind of just feel awful if I'm not the best at everything, it's hard to break the attitude.
>>
>>35271591
It's only worthwhile to feel smug if you're actually using that intellect for something useful, otherwise it's useless.
>>
>>35271659
In your world, swearing can only mean you're angry or you're "trolling"?
Are you this retarded?

I would be willing to bet money on the fact that you're an American who has never left America.
>>
>>35271703
>I kind of just feel awful if I'm not the best at everything
You're the best at nothing. What are you good at?
>>
>>35271712
I didn't say swearing. I said purposely insulting people. Literally 1 post ago. You are once again displaying the fact that you do not read what people post.

It actually explains a lot.
>>
>>35271759
In your world, purposefully insulting someone can only mean you're angry or you're "trolling"?
Are you this retarded?

I would be willing to bet money on the fact that you're an American who has never left America.
You're too stupid to be even replying to, in all honesty.
>>
>>35271777
>In your world, purposefully insulting someone can only mean you're angry or you're "trolling"?

Yes. I have challenged you to name another thing it could mean.
>>
>>35271733
I used to be very good at everything, sports, school, socialization, games, etc.
Obviously the attitude isn't justified, and it has no positive impact on me, but I can't help but feel like I'm shit at something if I'm not almost perfect at it to the point of making me want to quit things just because I have to start to build up skill at them to be good.
There's no need for you to try and take me down a peg, my attitude of myself has little to do with my compulsion to always be better than I am at things and I already feel like I'm shit at everything.
>>
>>35271804
>Lighthearted joke
>Satire
>Camaraderie
>Ignorance
>For fun
>Just because

Words are interpreted differently by individuals, depending on their values and cultures. You are a fucking moron nonetheless.
>>
>>35271895
>>Lighthearted joke
not done with the intention of insulting someone.

>>Satire
if you are trying to insult someone with your satire you are effectively trolling.

>>Camaraderie
not done with the intention of insulting someone.

>>Ignorance
Then it wouldn't be intentional. It would be unintetional.

>>For fun
So trolling.

>>Just because
Meaningless statement.

>Words are interpreted differently by individuals, depending on their values and cultures.

Yes, that is why the word intentional is very important here.
>>
>>35271850
>I used to be very good at everything, sports, school, socialization, games, etc
I don't think you know what being very good means.
Getting an A on your high school paper isn't being very good at something. Well, it's being good at getting an A on a paper that literally millions of others got the same or better on.
Sometimes people need to be taken down a peg. You sound like every other underachiever who was told by their parents and teachers that you're talented or special, and now you're in the real world, you've found out that they weren't being straight with you.
>>
File: 1443902303989.png (23KB, 800x762px)
1443902303989.png
23KB, 800x762px
>>35271657

I don't, and neither do any of the other people who are beneath me, except for you apparently. I guess that's what coping mechanisms are for though. Carry on, friend-o.

>>35271703

You just have to specialize. You might not be the best at everything, but you can be the best at something if you have the gift of intelligence. Look at PhD's. There's a shitload of them but they're all world experts in whatever extremely autistic narrow speck of focus is in their respective fields. I don't feel bad that I can't fix the whatchamacallit on my car. I'm very glad the mechanic knows should it break.

>>35271710

Using intellect for something useful? What exactly would that be?

I always hear that STEM is just useless mental masturbation and they should do something useful, but fuck them. Muh ackchually usefuls is a coping mechanism used by the dull to enact revenge on people who don't even give a shit about what the little pissants think about their skillsets. Just because you can't understand it doesn't make it any less useful to those who can. It's worthwhile to feel smug if I want to feel smug.
>>
>>35271964
>Sometimes people need to be taken down a peg.

translation: I am insecure so I try to make other people feel insecure aswell. It is a coping mechanism that I am not aware of.
>>
>>35271945
>not done with the intention of insulting someone
Says who? You? Prove it.

>not done with the intention of insulting someone.
Says who? You? Prove it.

>Meaningless statement
Says who? You? Prove it.

Again, you're a fucking moron. I've insulted my close friends before, and it doesn't mean anything. Who are you to tell people how they can speak or act and what the underlying meaning is? I can insult anyone I want, and it doesn't necessarily mean anything, nor does it have to be out of anger or "trolling", whatever that means.

Go read a fucking book and stop postulating, dimwit.
>>
There is such as thing as smart but lazy but the being smart means less than being hard working
>>
>>35271998
Is that so? Is everyone who says stuff you don't like insecure?! Or am I actually just trying to help you?
Consider it a necessary correction after years of your parents telling you that you're so special and can do anything you set your mind to!
You're welcome, by the way.

>>35271987
How are you better than most people?
What are you good at?
I'll be waiting dumbo
>>
>>35272040
>Says who?

insult: to treat with insolence, indignity, or contempt

lighthearted: free from care, anxiety, or seriousness

camaraderie: a spirit of friendly good-fellowship

Says the dictionary.

>Says who?

Just because, doesn't refer to any causes. It therefore doesn't mean anything. Saying something happened just because is the same as just saying something happened.

>I've insulted my close friends before

The intention is what is important here. You were joking with your friends, beause you understood that they wouldn't' feel insulted.
>>
>>35271964
>There's no need for you to try and take me down a peg, my attitude of myself has little to do with my compulsion to always be better than I am at things and I already feel like I'm shit at everything.
You seem to misunderstand, anon. I probably already feel like I am shit more than you do, I know perfectly well that I am basically shit at everything and throw away any efforts I have before they matter.

You're free to believe whatever stupid shit you want, but when I was younger I was a totally different person who excelled in all areas.
That kind of thing obviously can't last, but I explained that to give you an idea of where this sort of uncalled for perfectionism and feeling that I need to be better than other people to be worth anything came from, it wasn't typed to make you lash out at me or feel jealous or something it was just to explain where the attitude I have came from and it's context.

>>35272080
For a "helpful" behavior you don't seem to be actively trying to give people solutions to their problems or help them come up with their own.
I literally already told you I feel like shit about myself in my post and you saw the first sentence or something and blindly lashed out at me in some sort of baby rage, the people here already have enough self esteem issues to worry about, if anything most of the people on r9k would do a lot better to feel realistically better about themselves and their abilities.
>>
>>35272080
Your opinion that people NEED to be taken down a peg comes from somewhere. People do not actually need it, but you think they should be.

Why do you think they should be? The obvious conclusion is that you are insecure. It is something that has been observed countless times before.
>>
>>35262453

Money is not success it s just a way to stop selling your life time and qualify your time, just one of the many things you need for a great life.

That said, to achieve something you need far more than raw intel. You need a health body and mindset.

People who underachieve and are non meme smart are a really common thing. Mostly because their mindset is pathetic/fragile which sometimes is a correlation with what they can '' see '' because of their intelligence.

They are sick. The mindset of most people on this website is way below a normal person. Some have health problems outside of their mind too.
>>
>>35272132
Insult: A disrespectful or scornfully abusive remark or act.
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/insult

>You were joking with your friends, beause you understood that they wouldn't' feel insulted
I don't think I was, mate. I also don't think that's how arguments work either.

You're a fucking retard, that's all there is to it. If you genuinely believe that there are only 2 possible reasons (trolling and anger) for insulting someone, then you are beyond stupid.

What's important here is that you close out of 4chan and pick up a book.
>>
>>35272197
>Why do you think they should be?
Because for the most part, people are not as smart as they'd like to believe.
As I said, getting an A on a high school paper isn't tantamount to being "very good" at something. So how then, can this anon go on to post saying he's better than others, or feels better than others because of this?
By taken down a peg I simply mean reminded that there are true genius' out there, who really are "very good".

You can believe whatever you want, though. If you say it's insecurity, then it must be, right?!
>>
>>35272394
Insult is a noun. To insult is a verb.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/insult

>I don't think I was, mate. I also don't think that's how arguments work either.

Okay so you insulted them and it doesn't mean anything? Either you didn't insult them or they forgave you. In either case it is not relevant.

>You're a fucking retard, that's all there is to it. If you genuinely believe that there are only 2 possible reasons (trolling and anger) for insulting someone, then you are beyond stupid.

I am right. I have clearly demonstrated this.

>What's important here is that you close out of 4chan and pick up a book.

I have an IQ of 142 as measured by several psychologists and I have a phd in microbiology, but sure, I need to pick up a book, because mr. can't control his anger told me so.
>>
File: 1488076382526.jpg (908KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1488076382526.jpg
908KB, 720x1280px
>>35272466

But true geniuses only make A's too, dumbass. I think you need a peg taken up your ass.
>>
File: 4pQ7i5l.jpg (87KB, 500x657px) Image search: [Google]
4pQ7i5l.jpg
87KB, 500x657px
>>35262738
I totally feel you man. I'm in a similar scenario, but I'm 22. People can lie to themselves all they want, but reality won't change. The worst people are the ones like Camus who are on the verge of "getting it", but resort to some normie bullshit like "hurr durr, life is so absurd. just choose your own meaning bro".
>>
>>35272466
You didn't answer the question. Why do you think they need to made aware that they might not be as intelligent as they think?
>>
>>35266736
With the advent of the internet this is no big feat
>>
>>35272195
>but when I was younger I was a totally different person who excelled in all areas.
>That kind of thing obviously can't last
But it can, and it does. All the time. You just didn't.
What did you excel at?

>you don't seem to be actively trying to give people solutions to their problems or help them come up with their own.
What am I, your guidance counsellor? Do whatever the fuck you want. Just don't go around claiming to have been "very good" once because you got a good grade on a paper that millions of people get good grades on.
If you were some autistic savant who burned out, then yeah... but you're not, and you weren't. You're more likely very average in all areas.

>I literally already told you I feel like shit about myself in my post
I don't give a fuck if you're suicidal. It would make no difference. What do you think this is? If you're too sensitive, or feeling too shit to be on this site, then don't come on this fucking site. Don't expect others to cater to your whims.

>The people here already have enough self esteem issues to worry about
See above. Not my problem.
Some of the self esteem issues likely stem from being told they can do whatever they like, and being told repeatedly that they're talented and special...
I'm being straight.
>>
Reading this thread has made me realize my success in high school was just a fluke.
I never got straight As outside of that in elementary or middle school.
This information really doesn't change me wanting to kill myself in uni though.
>>
>>35272521
>I am right. I have clearly demonstrated this
Jesus christ....
Sure thing, mate! You're right!
There can only possibly be two reasons to insult someone and those reasons are "trolling", whatever the fuck that means, and anger. Yep, that's right folks. Anon has set the rules because he's right, remember?! He decides what can be a joke and what can't. He decides how language works! What's that? But in your culture an insult isn't seen as being so bad and lasting? No no! Anon is right, he said so!

Just how stupid do you have to be to believe this? You should have looked up the definition for cognitive dissonance.

>I have an IQ of 142 as measured by several psychologists and I have a phd in microbiology,
You have a micro cock and a marco mouth, that's about it.
>>
>>35272578
Because it's the truth? Why else?
To believe anything different would be to believe a lie, unless they really are genius' (they are not)
>>
>>35272762
It really is quite simple. To intentionally insult means you want your target to feel insulted.

It can either be to provoke a reaction from him(trolling), or because you are acting instinctually to sate your own anger by giving it an external target to be released on.

What you are doing is the latter.
>>
>>35272787
Well first of all it isn't the truth. It is your opinion. Maybe they are as smart as they think, maybe they aren't.

Secondly, why do you care if they share your opinion?

This reasoning is what lead me to the conclusion that you are insecure. That, and your behavior in the thread.
>>
>>35272818
If you say so, faggot!
But wait... I am right. I have clearly demonstrated this.

Insult:
VERB
Speak to or treat with disrespect or scornful abuse.
>https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/insult

Disrespect:
NOUN
Lack of respect or courtesy.
>https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/disrespect

Read it and weep, boy!
>>
>>35263481
>>35263523

Wrong! One is passive nihilism and the other is active nihilism.

HINT: Nietzsche advocated ACTIVE nihilism
>>
>>35272877
That is a semantic argument. It really depends if you go by meriam webster or oxford definition.

However. Since we were talking about your behavior. We are obviously using the meriam webster one.
>>
>>35262738
This why iq is bullshit. This '''''smart''''' man cant apply any of his ''''intelligence'''' at all. While even a dumb person with a strong work ethic will be much more successful and happy than this poor wreck. When analyzing a persons worth its more important to look at there willingness to strive and succeed rather than iq.
>>
>>35272925
People with high IQs do better on average than people with low IQs.

In the modern world, one intelligent person is more important than a million unintelligent ones.
>>
>>35272858
Woah woah, we were talking about people, for the most part, not whether it was true in the case of this anon in particular. See>>35272466
It is not just opinion that people believe they are smarter than they are. It is demonstrably accurate.

>Why do you care if they share your opinion?
What? When did I say that? (I didn't)
Are you saying it's fine for them to believe a lie?

>This reasoning is what lead me to the conclusion that you are insecure. That, and your behaviour in the thread
You can believe whatever you want. It's just trite. Anytime anyone is criticised on here, all they do is cry "You're just insecure and projecting", lol.
>>
>>35272550
This isn't necessarily true, actual geniuses in history didn't necessarily all fall within the honors student category, but at the same time defining yourself as intelligent from grades in a few classes or something is kind of arbitrary and not very specific as to how intelligent you are beyond a certain threshold.
>>35272642
>What did you excel at?
Sports, especially swimming, I was also a better runner than most for my childhood years, but I did pretty well at anything I applied myself to until maybe early high school, late middle school whe-
Wait, why am I seriously responding to you? I had more typed out, but my post hit word limit and it's not worth trying to provide you with information when you're not operating on actual arguments anyways. I just started reading more of your post and it just feels like you're so stuck in your dogma that other people can't be intelligent.
I'm not sure if you just really hate sophists or are projecting really hard.

>What am I, your guidance counsellor?
No, but don't claim to be doing others a service by trying to shoot their egos down when you are just trying to serve yourself, you just want an excuse to justify your critique of others. If you want to just shit on people don't try and take some sort of high ground.

>... but you're not, and you weren't. You're more likely very average in all areas.
This is why I don't take you seriously, you are assuming for things you simply don't have the information to make a solid guess on.

>I literally already told you I feel like shit about myself in my post
I don't give a fuck if you're suicidal.
Yet you claim to only be trying to take people down a peg as a correction for their over inflated egos. Choose whether you just want to talk shit to people or want to be or "introducing them to reality"

I'm not even sure it was worth bothering with this, I'm really curious if you have any reason to do this beyond projecting or feeling like you yourself are some sort of genius.
>>
>>35272920
No it isn't.
You genuinely believe that people only insult for two reasons (trolling or anger)
You're literally a retard, mate. How about you try to leave your PC comfort zone that is America and visit other countries where calling someone a "dumb cunt" isn't seen as being punishable by death, you fucking moron.
But let me guess? I must be angry to have insulted you?! Or trolling?! That's it!

Read a book and stop embarrassing yourself
>>
>>35262453
>pepe brain dead
>it's actually apu
>>
>>35272992
It is not about the critique. It is you wanting people to be taken down a peg.

You, having a deep personal desire, to make other people feel worse about themselves.

Whether getting straight a's means you are very good or just good is completely irrelevant and a matter of what you have defined the criteria of very good to be.
>>
>>35273047
>You genuinely believe that people only insult for two reasons (trolling or anger)

I have already explained why this is. I have DEMONSTRATED, beyond any doubt, that I am correct.

If you disagree you can try responding to my argument again. Maybe you will be more succesful this time, and I won't utterly demolish you like I did in my post here:

>>35271945
>>
>>35273038
>Or are projecting really hard
Like clockwork >>35272992

>when you are just trying to serve yourself
What could I possibly gain from telling you that you're not some undiscovered genius, but in fact, you're more likely to be average at best

>you simply don't have the information to make a solid guess on
I could provide countless studies showing that people believe they are more intelligent than they actually are.

Rest of your post is garbage

>>35273069
>You, having a deep personal desire, to make other people feel worse about themselves
Conjecture. Ad hominem.
I have no deep desire to do anything of the sort, do you have a desire to make bullshit unsubstantiated claims? How about a deep personal desire to be a cunt and make other people feel like jumping out of a window?!

You see how that works, yeah?
>>
>>35273106
>I have already explained why this is. I have DEMONSTRATED, beyond any doubt, that I am correct.
That's where you're delusional. You're just stubborn and can't take being wrong.
The oxford dictionary and thousands of years of Australian and English culture say you're wrong, kiddo. Better luck next time, eh?
>>
>>35273175
>How about a deep personal desire to be a cunt and make other people feel like jumping out of a window?!

As a matter of fact I do. I am certainly not having this discussion because I think I can change your mind. You are far too insecure to admit to yourself that you are wrong.
>>
>>35273199
All I can say is stop being Australian. Your grandmother was probably an aboriginal. Explains why are you so dumb.
>>
>>35273214
>"y-you're just i-insecure! stoopid!"
Try again. The irony is that you're probably more insecure than I've ever been. You can't even comprehend criticism without thinking it must be because the person giving it is some sort of psychopath with personal issues. That's the level of insecurity you've reached.

>>35273238
Nice rebuttal, kid. How does my dick taste, though?
>>
>>35273280
>The irony is that you're probably more insecure than I've ever been.

The real irony is that you are doing what you just said I did.

It is very typical of people with the histrionic personality disorder. They hold other people to standards they themselves won't follow.

>Nice rebuttal, kid. How does my dick taste, though?

uungaa boongaa noongaa
>>
>>35273343
The real irony is that I don't give a fuck.
You were saying you "already felt like shit" just a minute ago... now you're calling others insecure? Hehe.

Making retarded nonsensical posts is typical of a dribbling retard. They dribble all over the keyboard and type with their forehead.

Anyway, you're boring me now
>>
>>35273409
That wasn't me you dumbass noogah. This is the third time you get this wrong. Stupid australian.

>Making retarded nonsensical posts is typical of a dribbling retard.

PURE CONJECTURE.

>They dribble all over the keyboard and type with their forehead.

Citation needed.

>Anyway, you're boring me now

Guess what. Not an argument. BOOOINK.
>>
>>35273409
>The real irony is that I don't give a fuck.
You were saying you "already felt like shit" just a minute ago... now you're calling others insecure? Hehe.
The guy you're replying to and quoting are different, I would know because I'm the one you're quoting while replying to the other guy.

You're just making yourself look stupider which doesn't really help your cause.
>>
>>35273507
It's too late. He left the thread to go huff gasoline with his cousin.
>>
>>35273549
Jeez, I wish I could pick up bantz like that man.
Sitting in your room endlessly tabbing between 8 or so tabs of threads on slow burn and playing video games or watching anime maybe 2 hours a day isn't very good for my banter.
>>
I accepted a long time ago that I'm a lazy retard and that my vast treasury of useless trivia doesn't make me smart, even if naive school kids and parents thought it did. I'm doomed to fail in life and I wish for a painless death, but the means aren't available and it's easier to just bury myself in vidya instead.

I don't know my IQ. Never took a test for it. It's probably low, and even if it wasn't, IQ is hardly the primary factor in developing intelligence.
>>
>>35273592
sitting in my room every day*
I'm an idiot, but not really.
>>
In the beginning God said Yanks can't banter
>>
Is this thread even worth reading?

Seems like it just delved into shitflinging.
>>
>>35265191
>I don't understand the correlation between depression and intelligence
>I don't understand how intelligent people are often extremely mentally ill as well
There's a reason aspies are stereotyped as smart. People who don't think neurotypically are the ones who deviate greatly from baseline intelligence.
>>
>>35273669
I would be surprised if there was ever a thread on this site with real literary value.
>>
>>35273723
That's a gross exaggeration, but the topic of the thread basically guaranteed it would end like this.
>>
>>35262826
Came here to say something like this. The ones who are actually this way don't describe themselves as such, their acquaintances and family members do :/
>>
>>35265191
The problem with discussions of IQ on the internet is that people never talk about which scales they are using. Most statements will be done on the weschler scale or something like that, where 130+ is basically 2% of people, and then you have another scale where 160 is like the Weschler's 120, and the scary smart is 180.

Past the 98th percentile of the population, the measurements are pretty meaningless.
>>
>>35274304
They named an IQ scale after steak sauce?
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.