[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just watched Logan, great movie. Looking to discuss it here

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: loganrt.png (168KB, 751x331px) Image search: [Google]
loganrt.png
168KB, 751x331px
Just watched Logan, great movie.

Looking to discuss it here cause /tv/ is garbage and /co/ is basically derivative of /tv/ at this point
>>
Rizzzzo
>>
>implying /r/9k isn't garbage
>>
>>35257626
Time to revive an old thread: >>35256236

I can post the full review I did if anyone wants
>>
File: 1481097346271.gif (2MB, 286x400px) Image search: [Google]
1481097346271.gif
2MB, 286x400px
>>35257626
anyone /too autistic to watch movies/? There's no movie that could make me sit still for longer than half an hour and once i stop a movie, I don't enjoy going back to it
>>
>>35257705
nekojiru-so
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOTuLF-OcN8&t=861s
>>
>>35257705
I want to kiss her frog mouth
>>
>>35257684
go ahead bro

onigiri
>>
>>35257673
/r9k/ might be garbage, but at least there is some variety to it

/tv/ is just like... can I even call it shitposts? It's straight up just the very minimum effort to remember what someone else said and repeat it expecting absolutely no discussion.
>>
>>35257867
There's a quote from Guillermo Del Toro's criminally underrated Crimson Peak that comes at the beginning of the movie, that sums up the movie in and of itself: "It's not a ghost story, it's a story with a ghost in it". That quote has kinda stuck with me since that released, and it's extremely applicable here: This is not a superhero movie, but a movie with superheroes in it.

And damn if it isn't a great one.

The film follows the titular character as he tries to protect an aging, senile Charles Xavier and a young mutant named Laura as they travel across the country to outrun the group that created Laura in the first place. In that sense, it's more a western/outlaw story, or a road trip story.

There's a strong emphasis on character here. You feel how Logan deals with trying to care for someone again, which it seems like he hasn't done in a long time. Xavier acts as sort of a foil to him in that sense: he treats Laura as something that needs to be protected at all costs, while Logan wants to be rid of her as soon as possible.

By severely diminishing the "super" qualities of the more well-known mutants, the film is able to add weight and consequence to the action scenes. Admittedly, it tends to lean on those scenes a little often, but I dug how it never pulled any punches in terms of showing brutality.

The biggest flaw (as with all Marvel/Marvel Licensed movies) is the villain. Now, while the main bad guy (whose name escapes me) is certainly intimidating and charismatic, you never get the sense that he's doing this for any good reason; he's just evil for the money.

Still though, all the other characters are really well-written, and the story is told with actual emotional impact (far more than most of the mainstream Marvel movies). Plus, the action is well-shot and absolutely devastating. By deviating as far as it can from superhero convention, the film manages to be one of the most effective superhero films in years.

9/10, damn good.
>>
>>35257943
I don't think I agree with you thinking the main flaw is the villain. There is an expectation when it comes to these types of movies that the protag is the hero and whatever conflicts stand in his way are the villains. For me, the biggest conflict was always just Logan giving a fuck. Does Logan give a fuck enough to drive Laura to North Dakota? Does Logan care enough to protect the children? The 'villains' were just other characters to facilitate the movie asking these questions.

I feel like my biggest problem with Logan was the relationship between Logan and Laura. Time and time again Logan abandons Laura for a variety of reasons. Just a couple minutes between the last act, Laura basically tells him that she knows he doesn't care about her. While yes, he did go about basically sacrificing himself to save her and the other children; there wasn't any scene (or combination of scenes) where I could say that because of this, I expect this down-and-out Logan to do such a thing. So when she ends up calling him daddy, cries over his death, performs his eulogy, and turns his cross into an 'X', it just doesn't feel earned.
>>
>>35257983
>While yes, he did go about basically sacrificing himself to save her and the other children; there wasn't any scene (or combination of scenes) where I could say that because of this, I expect this down-and-out Logan to do such a thing.
Part of me agrees with that. I think a lot of why he did so was really BECAUSE he was down and out. He knew he wasn't long for this world, and because he says that "Everytime he gets close to someone they die", he figured he'd save Laura and the kids by sacrificing himself. Like Laura said, he wants to die, and the old X-Men in him wanted to do something good before he passed.

I do think that Laura's reaction to his death was a little strange, but they set up the eulogy with Charles earlier on in Oklahoma City. Plus that entire ending sequence (not knowing that Logan was gonna kick it beforehand) absolutely fucking destroyed me.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.