[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /r9k/ watch movies? seen anything good lately? I'm

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

File: mancbythesea.jpg (12KB, 182x268px) Image search: [Google]
mancbythesea.jpg
12KB, 182x268px
Does /r9k/ watch movies?
seen anything good lately?
I'm about to watch pic related
>>
>>35251193
>Does /r9k/ watch movies?
no
>>
>>35251193
I watch loads of films but they're usually my favourites from back in the good old days.
Haven't seen too many recent films... and when I have they've all been painfully average (Jack Reacher, Jason Bourne etc.).
>>
>>35251193
I still watch a lot of movies, usually more than 100 every year. But my passion for films has diminished over the years. I don't know if it's depression, because I've been depressed for far longer, so it must be the quality of films these days.

Take your picture for example, it was well acted, I was fine with Affleck winning the Oscar, but the film as a whole was rather boring for me. There were some good scenes, really sad stuff, but I just didn't connect with it.

When I look back at the Oscar best picture nominees for this decade, there are only a handful that I actually rewatch. Most of these prestige films that get nominated now are about some message, and are too political.

I just watched Moonlight and wasn't impressed for something that was just named Best Picture. The movie felt like Boyhood, but about a poor gay back boy instead of an entitled faggy white boy. It was like a TV movie you'd see in the 90's, and I have no desire to ever watch it again.
>>
>>35252458
I've only seen 4 of the Best Picture noms from 2016, Manchester by the Sea, Moonlight, Hacksaw Ridge, and Hell or High Water, and out of those I like Hell or High Water the most.

Going back through the 2010's the Best Picture nominees that I have enjoyed and have watched multiple times are:

2010: The Social Network
2011: Midnight In Paris
2012: Silver Linings Playbook
2013: The Wolf OF Wall Street
2014: Whiplash
2015: Mad Max: Fury Road
>>
>>35251193
I've been in the mood for melancholic movies. I watched Blue is the Warmest Colour, Weekend, and Lost in Translation.

>>35252458
I like Moonlight way better than Boyhood. Both the main characters are quiet, somewhat abused kids but in Moonlight we can feel his emotions at least via how the characters interact with him. The guy in Boyhood doesn't do shit the whole film and the three hour feels like a waste of time.

Although I agree that Moonlight winning the Oscar is a PC decision. The La La Land false alarm feels cheap and forced as well, it's like we haven't seen it all in last year's Miss Universe.
>>
i used to be into movies a few years ago and would watch a new one every day, but i haven't watched a movie in at least a year, i mostly just watch tv series now.

if you want to watch some good new tv shows watch the expanse and quarry
>>
>>35251193
>Manchester by the Sea
Literally link related
https://youtu.be/rbhrz1-4hN4
>>
>>35252595
Sure, head to head, Moonlight was better than Boyhood, I will agree with that. Boyhood was too long, and I felt the gimmick of filming over 12 years was the main selling point behind all the buzz it received.
>>
Manchester is so close to being a masterpiece it hurts. It was missing that extra layer of detachment and dark humor that would have elevated the material. The ending is also too neat, and should have been left open.
>>
Pls tell me a good movie that has no sex,kissing scence(no science fiction,no action, no horror.)
>>
>>35252691
Gates of Heaven, a documentary about pet cemeteries.
>>
File: coldfish.jpg (95KB, 418x600px) Image search: [Google]
coldfish.jpg
95KB, 418x600px
>>35251193
I saw this movie called Cold Fish the other day and enjoyed it far more than I ever expected. Highly recommended to anyone that likes gory horror films, there's a 20 minute long cleanup scene.
>>
>>35252691
>No Country for Old Men
>In Bruges
>Incendies
>The Revenant
>Spotlight
That's all I can come up with.
>>
>>35251193
saw this in a movie theater with my GF. it's shit. We both agreed.

Silence by Martin Scorsese is pleasant to watch and a good movie.
>>
>>35252816
Injun gets raped in The Revenant, disqualified. The Hateful Eight would be one, and Reservoir Dogs.
>>
>>35252816
>>35252691
Seconding In Bruges, also maybe A Beautiful Mind? (Can't remember if there's sex in it, I think there isn't.) Otherwise I have nothing. Why are your tastes so specific, Anon?
>>
One of my favorite movies is Two Lovers with Joaquin Phoenix and Gwenith Paltrow. It's just so sad and true to life and good.
>>
>>35252925
Do you have other movies with similar themes to recommend? I'm >>35252595 and I just want to watch something while longing for a relationship I've never been in.
>>
File: hugo.jpg (155KB, 1151x814px) Image search: [Google]
hugo.jpg
155KB, 1151x814px
>>35252691
Hugo.

original
>>
>>35253031
Honestly, I'm kind of a movie pleb, so I don't really know too many other movies like that. I would recommend "Her" but that's another robot tier Joaquin movie that everyone has probably already seen. I'm sorry. No ideas on the theme you are looking for, but if you are bored and just want some entertainment, maybe try out Grand Budapest Hotel or American Beauty. Those are two of my favorites.
>>
>>35252812
Those Japs sure are cheerful arent they? I watched pic related the other day. If you enjoy seeing old movies where people racially abuse each other its good.
>>
>>35253172
I'm totally watching this this weekend, thanks so much for the recommendation!
>>
>>35252816
In Bruges he puts his hand on it.
>>
>>35253031
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

unsurprisingly unoriginal
>>
Fucking love the fifth element

And demolition man
>>
Watch Synecdoche, New York if you want to go through a fun existential crisis.
>>
>>35252458
>a lot of movies
>100 a year
lmao fucking embryo
>>
>>35253324
No i'd rather read a good book on it instead of watching that kike's undercooked and juvenile ideals of existentialism and a shit attempt at symbolism.

fuck you faggot
>>
>>35253316
i love that movie but can't watch it anymore, it's physically painful to see how beautiful Mila is/was. I literally feel a stabbing chest pain knowing i'll never touch the hand of a girl 1/100 as pretty as her.
>>
>>35251193
I finally watched hercules all the way through. It made me smile.
>>
File: 1488340664433.png (840KB, 1080x1055px) Image search: [Google]
1488340664433.png
840KB, 1080x1055px
Hacksaw Ridge was incredible. Got me itching for Nolan's Dunkirk but I know it won't be nearly as good. Gibson went full balls out with this movie. The fact that he even got this movie made is amazing. Besides it being great, it had a white Christian man being an all out hero and showed the Japanese being the savages they were during the war. This movie held nothing back. It wasn't even trying to be political, it was just real. It was so refreshing.

Also just finished the Jack Reacher sequel. Absolute garbage. Not even worth watching as an operator movie. The shitty choreography and lazy attention to detail really made me appreciate having seen John Wick 2 a week ago.
>>
>>35253481
You sound like a human who is happy with your life decisions why on earth would someone not follow your example
>>
File: Fallen-Angels-001.jpg (322KB, 1920x1064px) Image search: [Google]
Fallen-Angels-001.jpg
322KB, 1920x1064px
Pure unadulterated kino
>>
>>35253665

Hacksaw Ridge was terrible, full of corny, unreal over the top violence that looked like it belonged in Pirates of the Caribbean or something.

Its 'hero' claimed to be pacifist but basically assisted one force of people invading the land of an other. Americans committed brutal atrocities too, you know, like nuking two cities full of people including babies and children.
>>
>>35253801
America nuked japan so that we wouldn't have to invade the main island and kill everyone that still took up arms against us. Its historical fact.

Plus that war hero actually existed.
>>
>>35253801
But, white Christian my man. Helloooo?
>>
>>35252574
see i like you, actually list real fucking movies to watch instead of movies only made for autistists
>>
>>35252610
Iktfb
I don't even remember any of them until I see them on a list
Fuck this blurry life
>>
>>35253847

>America nuked japan so that we wouldn't have to invade the main island and kill everyone that still took up arms against us. Its historical fact.

It's easy to justify atrocities. When you read about war, it's very common to see propaganda from all sides attempting to dehumanise the enemy. The Japanese men who fought ON THEIR OWN SOIL probably had good reason to fight furiously. If they were Americans fighting in the same way on American soil, you'd hail them as "heroes". Killing babies, the elderly, and simply men and boys who as individuals didn't have a say in the war and may have in cases opposed it - is simply wrong.

>Plus that war hero actually existed.

(((war))) (((hero)))
>>
i like the private lives of pippa lee
>>
>>35253952
no we nuked them to send a message that you don't fuck with america. we spent millions upon millions building a bomb that the nazis couldn't finish, that other countries at the time were starting to research, and we finished it then some gooky motherfucker decides to fly into our ships at pearl harbor.

the good old boys said 'nows the time' and we fucking hellfire hiroshima them chinks. put an end to ww2 real quick and secured american dominance over the rest of the world many countries during that time said shieeeet we aint fucking wit dat.
>>
>>35253801
>corny violence
You know when I was watching it I knew this is what people were going to say, then I see threads on /tv/ about it. It wasn't corny, it was just real and not pushed in an emotional angle. The battle scenes were long and couldn't have been forced into a constant emotional conflict. So instead Gibson used it as a background for the real emotional conflict and allowed us to experience war as a constant barrage of carnage like this kind of trench warfare was. So then we had all these other scenes playing off the tension created by the endless battle, people dealing with their friends being picked off like it was nothing, like how war actually is.

Maybe it's just because i've seen someone get shot before that i could appreciate not having every person shot fall in slow motion as the world stops around them. The point being, this movie wasn't about death, it was about life, specifically trying to save lives in war. It was a very different angle from most war movies. You're a moron if you can't see that

>>35253952
Yeah i'm sure they also had good reason to genocide the Chinese and ACTUALLY torture and kill babies endlessly in attempts to invade the U.S. mainland.
>>
>>35252892
Hateful Eight has oral sex
>>
>>35254003

>You know when I was watching it I knew this is what people were going to say

So as you were watching this, your first reactions were a reactive defensiveness of the movie?? You own a MAGA hat, don't you?

>It wasn't corny, it was just real and not pushed in an emotional angle...

The guy who appears dead literally jumping up and then getting shot through the head seriously looked like a joke. I actually paused the movie at that point to check that this wasn't some sort of 'dark comedy'. It was fucking ridiculous and so were many similar scenes. I hadn't known it was Mel Gibson going in, and seeing his name I breathed a sight of relief, "oh it's just shit"

>Maybe it's just because i've seen someone get shot before

Yeah we've all seen hundreds of people killed, often in high-def footage. The movie wasn't realistic.

>torture and kill babies endlessly in attempts to invade the U.S. mainland.

wat?
>>
>>35251193
>I can't be the Guardian!
I've heard that line way too many times in the add before show episodes on Amazon Prime. That line is delivered so poorly that I refuse to ever watch that movie
>>
>>35254107
>So as you were watching this, your first reactions were a reactive defensiveness of the movie?? You own a MAGA hat, don't you?
No I just noticed the different take on it right away, from the first person to get shot in the head. It wasn't overt, and the guy next to him acting like how a person would react in that situation. That's how all the death was portrayed. It was played straight.

>The guy who appears dead literally jumping up and then getting shot through the head seriously looked like a joke
So you're a desensitized moron who honestly thinks that violence played completely straight is comedy. This is why even commercials are insanely dramatic now.

>Yeah we've all seen hundreds of people killed, often in high-def footage. The movie wasn't realistic.
No i've seen someone get shot and die IRL. You can watch shootings on Liveleak as well. A lot of people see these things and don't believe they're real because the only violent death they've experienced is in ridiculous movies. I bet you think the ISIS videos are "not realistic"

>wat?
Oh of course you know absolutely nothing of the Japanese during WW2. It probably shocked you to even see them in a WW2 movie.
>>
>>35253952
The japanese were arming the entire nation,including civilians, and planned to go down fighting to the last man
You honestly believe that'd be better?
You honestly believe
>>
>>35253765
Great director.
>>
>>35254280

*tips MAGA hat*

>>35254283

I don't believe American soldiers had a place anywhere near Japanese territory.
>>
>>35252292
That's because you watch the painfully average ones
>>
File: stylish hat.png (292KB, 733x960px) Image search: [Google]
stylish hat.png
292KB, 733x960px
>>35254358
>*tips MAGA hat*
>I don't believe American soldiers had a place anywhere near Japanese territory.
pottery
>>
>>35252643
wow that was awful don't ever link that again, cracked hasn't been funny in 10 years.
>>
>>35252691
>Pls tell me a good movie that has no sex,kissing scence(no science fiction,no action, no horror.)
castaway over the moon
>>
>>35253952
Talk shit get hit
don't forget about pearl harbor, nips asked for the long dick of American justice and they got it, the nukes were a one hit KO, the japs wouldn't have ever quit until we killed almost all of them, fighting them face to face would have been a war of attrition that would have lasted 5 years and the body count would have been higher then the nukes, when you know this nuking them was the most humanitarian thing to do because they were at least able to maintain their country instead of burning it all to the ground, I'm probably wasting my breath because you're no doubt a weeb jap apologist and fervent American hater.

Hell or high water was the best movie of 2016.
>>
>>35251193
I don't really watch a lot of movies but my favorite is Chronicles
I want to see Moonlight though
>>
>>35254601
>wow that was awful
just like manchester by the sea
>>
>>35253801
Nuking of japan was justified. Japan's willingness to surrender prior to the bombing was uncertain. They sent letters to Russia discussing the possibility but nothing seemed to be happening. The US ran the numbers and figured the cost of US lives (keep in mind japan would fight back on their turf too, so many civilians would be killed) and resources spent on an invasion outweighed the loss of lives from nukes.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.