[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How hard is to get an apartment? I'm 24 and I really would

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: My life.jpg (457KB, 900x850px) Image search: [Google]
My life.jpg
457KB, 900x850px
How hard is to get an apartment? I'm 24 and I really would like to move out of my parents house, specifically because my mom is insane and driving me crazy. I looked up some apartments in my hometown and found some that are like $500 a month, my only problem is that I have about $2500-$3000 to my name and I also only work part time and make shit money. Like I'm making $600 a month and I'm just not sure if I could live in an apartment making $600 a month, but I do have my savings as well.

Also I don't know what I'd for furniture, like I have some stuff in my room at my parents house I could bring like a recliner chair, a small desk, my computer, but I really wouldn't have like furniture in terms of a sofa/loveseat, or a bed. I suppose I could just sleep on the floor with a blanket and pillow, but I know beds are expensive. I'm only asking because I've never had an apartment before, wasn't sure if it's tough to get one and stuff. I was planning on trying to call some of these apartments and see if I could look at a unit, you know like a scheduled visit or something.

I'm also considering finding a second job, that's probably what I'll end up doing anyway so if I work a second job I'd have some extra cash, but as long as I can afford rent each month then I won't really have problems.
>>
For safety, you'll want your rent to be about half (or less) of your gross take home pay. So if you make only 600, don't get something that's more than 300.

Generally don't worry about furnishings, that's a one time small cost. Recurring payments (like rent) is what you need to worry about.
>>
>>35204907
>Find an apartment with $300 rent

Does such a thing exist? The cheapest in my hometown is $500 a month, I figured I could make it work if I just budget myself and do everything cheap. And how is furnishings a one time small cost? An apartment usually doesn't come with furnishings and it can be expensive to buy stuff like that, isn't it?
>>
>>35204685
Use your savimgs for furniture, leave 100-200 bux a month for food(depends how much zou eat), the rest is either for rent or leave 50-100 dollars for your hobbys.
>>
>>35205024
>The cheapest in my hometown is $500 a month

Where do you live? Kansas or something.

Fucking studio in SoCal is like $1800. Not many jobs where you can make that kind of money either.

It's called getting room mates OP.

You get to trade one asshole for another one, or two, or more.
>>
>>35205024
Probably not. My point was that you need to be making more money, I guess.

And your furnishings, keep them small and cheap. Shop at thrift stores for the basics to get the best deals. And for a bed, get an air bed for now.

You'll have a lot of time to upgrade if you want. But because this is your first time out on your own, go as small as you can.
>>
>>35204685
I'm in a similar situation but I have an offer to move into a house with 3 of my best friends, I just hate the area I'd move to and I'm debating it in my head over and over again.
>>
>>35205450
Also, always remember that housing is your biggest expense. So anything you can do to reduce it, do it.

For black belt level, google 'house hacking'
>>
Have you considered getting a roommate?
>>
>>35205613
>For black belt level, google 'house hacking'

That's only an option for people who own multi-unit properties or could buy one, none of which applies to OP.
>>
>>35205721
Not necessarily. As long as you have a spare bedroom to rent, it's hacking. But as I said, it's advanced for op for later
>>
Holy shit, rent is expensive there.

I've been living in a studio apartment for a few years now. When I moved in here I didn't have anything but clothes, a mattress and my laptop. My priorities were a stove and a fridge. So I wouldn't have to eat out. I only got a bed almost a year after moving in. But your budget is too tight, robot. If you can't find somewhere cheaper, you should save more money and look for a better job.

If you're anything like me (awkward around people), I wouldn't recommend a roommate. I tried for a semester and it was hell.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-08-22-20-56-49.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-08-22-20-56-49.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
>>35204685
My advice? Stay home and deal with a shitty mom. If you were ready to move out then you wouldn't be asking us for advice.

Think of it from a money perspective. That's 500 doll hairs you're not gonna have every month and that barley covers your card board box of an apartment.

What you need to do is dig in hard and stay rent free for as long as you can. Why move out not when it's a good possibility you'll be right back where you started because you weren't prepared. The first thing you should do is take some of that cheddar you've already saved and put that down on a secured credit card. Decent apartments do credit checks pretty often these days. After that I'd look at getting some sort of sales based job over the phone or in person. It will help with your charisma and confidence not to mention make you a smooth operator with the girls. Oh and they pay you really well. THEN MAYBE you might start thinking about an apartment. Preferably you've met a decent Chad who will compliment your short comings and you can start courting him with the idea of a bachelor pad. Either way, nothing is more embarrassing than seeing an anon move out just to move back home months later. Money over everything. Your independence is counting on it.
>>
>>35204685
Just get another job. It'll be hell but you'll be making enough for rent and be able to save a few hundred a month and you get to escape your shitty mom.
>>
>>35206942
kind of pointless for him to move out if he's never going to be at home.
>>
>>35204685
Check Craigslist religiously and see if a nice one bedroom comes up. I found mine for 385/Mo in a nice part of town, fully furnished.
>>
>>35206990
not necessarily, he has a place to store his stuff, cook his meals, sleep and bathe, all without a nuisance

at least if I was in a similar position I'd try it
>>
>>35207019
storage unit, meals at work and a gym membership would cover all of that. it'd only be reasonable if he got sufficient time off from either job.
>>
>>35207061
where to sleep?
>>
>>35205689
Definitely consider this OP. Be careful though. Personally, I keep quiet and don't like fucktards bringing shitty loud people over. It's hard to find other roommates like this and some straight up fucking lie about it wasting my time and money. Finally found one that was decently reserved but a year into it he had a breakdown and resorted to autistic drunken screeching at night and couldn't keep up with payments. None of these fucks matched the insanity of my mom however so after dealing with a few I had already gotten a good job and I'm finally alone. Feels good.
>>
>>35207070
motel, or his car.
>>
>>35207061
>>35207100
True, if he wanted to go full hobo in order to save more money or time he could do all that. It all depends on OP's circumstances.
>>
>>35204685
>Like I'm making $600 a month
What do you do for money anon? Are you in school? If so, just focus on your school. Otherwise, can you double your hours?
>>
No one will accept you if your income isn't 3x the rental rate

Imagine your competition
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.