[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>25 years old >just got my learner's permit today

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 16

File: 1_1236371169256[1].jpg (35KB, 369x337px) Image search: [Google]
1_1236371169256[1].jpg
35KB, 369x337px
>25 years old
>just got my learner's permit today again (had it a few years back and it expired)
>literally terrified of driving
>>
I felt like maybe some robots have felt like this before?
>>
Got my license at 25. Driving really isn't so bad. I used to be terrified of it as well. I did get some antidepressants that year as well so that honestly could have helped. In any case you just need to try to relax and remember that you really need to worry about the car in front of you.
>>
>>35200976
i wish that driving wasn't so essential here in america. i much prefer to ride my bike but basically without a car you can't do anything. i mean im a robot with no friends or gf so it isnt like i have places to go but still
>>
File: 1484881633145.png (551KB, 964x912px)
1484881633145.png
551KB, 964x912px
>got license at 21
>was absolutely terrified since I'm completely incompetent at everything I do
>almost got into several accidents because I still don't understand right-of-way laws no matter how many times they're explained and because I find it incredibly hard to pay attention to so many things at once
>every intersection is a total point of confusion for me, I just wing it every time

Driving during rush hour is essentially a deathwish for me. I've been beeped at so many times just because I have no idea what I'm doing. 23 now, and I haven't improved at all. Driving is not a robot-friendly activity.

>my captcha was clicking on street signs
>even /r9k/ is taunting me
>>
>>35200205
Driving is nothing to worry about, anon. Even roasties and old geezers manage to do it. You can do as well. Just need some practice
>>
File: 407831.jpg (31KB, 500x486px)
407831.jpg
31KB, 500x486px
>>35201070
tell me about it. I cant even park next to my home since the government cunts build a passage next to my apartment complex few years ago and its like a fucking highway. I cant park because Im very slow and would be holding like one or two cars at all times and it really ticks me off and makes my anxiety fire up. So I have to park like a block away

REEEEEEE FUCKING NORMIES LET ME PARK IN PEACE
>>
File: 1487675722418.png (17KB, 882x758px) Image search: [Google]
1487675722418.png
17KB, 882x758px
>have license for 6 years
>havent even driven since my driving test

i hate driving
>>
>>35200976
>>35201070
>>35201291
>>35201080
i have really bad spacial awareness i feel like. when i drive in a car with someone as a passenger, i always feel like we are going to crash. i literally don't understand how people can park in parking spaces. like, a small space with two cars next to it, how does someone pull into a space without hitting other cars

its astounding
>>
>>35200205

Don't worry I had my permit for the longest time I finally passed my driving test in 07 at 29 took the test in my sister's mustang gt in the rain just try and relax if you're taking lessons I'm sure you aren't the first one to be terrified at the thought of driving I didn't get behind the wheel for ages its not me I'm worried about when I'm driving its other drivers
>>
>>35200205
I was the same. The more you do it the less scary it is.

You just need to drive more.
>>
>>35201070
Right of way really isn't that complicated.
>when you see a stop sign, stop before intersecion
>turning right? make sure no one is crossing from your left
>going straight? cars on your right go first
>turning left? cars going straight on opposite lane go first
>>
File: 1485668069701.jpg (6KB, 231x250px) Image search: [Google]
1485668069701.jpg
6KB, 231x250px
>>35201291
I'm not normally an anxious person, but nothing triggers me harder than driving when the streets are busy, it's a constant challenge.

>don't know when I should let people through coming from side roads
>don't know when I can get by people when coming from one of those side roads
>don't know when I can get around people making turns
>never know what lane I should be in when driving on multilane roads
>never sure what turns I can make and when at intersections
>literally have no idea what the protocol is when an ambulance or emergency vehicle passes me, I've never had it happen yet
>constantly checking the speed limit and how fast I'm going obsessively so I don't get honked at/pulled over (this especially bugs me, how do normies just know how fast they're going, I have to look almost nonstop)
>park crooked like a retard whenever I pull in anywhere that's not a straight shot, so have to park a good distance away from other cars/places
>always takes me like a full 20 seconds to reverse in the right direction since the way the wheels go is flipped (it's like suddenly inverting your controls in a video game, how do people get used to this)
>never know how to operate the windshield wipers on cars I'm not used to driving, had to manually hit it for 20 minutes last time this happened
>have no idea what to do when my windows fog up, I just panic and try to see as best I can

Driving is a never ending hell.
>>
File: 1486672692964.jpg (49KB, 615x550px) Image search: [Google]
1486672692964.jpg
49KB, 615x550px
>>35201509
You Americans need more roundabouts.
>>
>>35201591
>Driving is a never ending hell.
Maybe if you're a pussy.
>>
Following distance can make many mistakes not so bad. Roundabouts in USA were temporary fad, not building many of those anymore
>>
>>35201591
>Don't know
>Don't know
>Don't know

So look it up in the highway code so that you do know.
>>
File: 1463023847591.jpg (225KB, 682x600px)
1463023847591.jpg
225KB, 682x600px
>>35201591
>>have no idea what to do when my windows fog up, I just panic and try to see as best I can
>>
>>35201394

same, got my driving license and never drove (i passed to keep my mum happy), well drove once with my mum and she was screaming like i was going to crash the whole time so a few blocks away i just gave up, parked by the side of the road and told her to drive us home then

>my mother wants me to drive to do her shopping when she's too old, she claims this but literally sucks any confidence i have out of me with her crazy screaming like i am about to kill us both whilst driving normally

fuck this
>>
File: 1485666483936.jpg (7KB, 184x240px) Image search: [Google]
1485666483936.jpg
7KB, 184x240px
>>35201509
>turning right? make sure no one is crossing from your left

What about people in front of me making left turns? Do I go before them? I thought so, but there are a lot of intersections where I live where one light has an extended green while you're stopped. I have to constantly check for that, and one time I just went for the right turn when it was red because there was no one coming the other way and nearly ran into someone making a left from the light ahead of me. Every intersection around here seems to have its own rules, and it always trips me up. And I'm never entirely sure when I have to wait for the green arrow on left turns and when I can just go on green.

>going straight? cars on your right go first

Do you mean cars on the road to my right go first? That doesn't seem right. Or do you just mean on the lane to my right? If they go first, why is the left lane usually the passing lane...

>turning left? cars going straight on opposite lane go first

What if we're both making lefts? Can we both just go? It seems like a lot of time we'll hit each other even if we're going opposite directions.
>>
>>35201718
Most of the stuff I don't know isn't the textbook legal shit, but what the proper social etiquette is. I have no idea what most drivers do and what they expect me to do. Some of the shit like emergency vehicles I could prob just look up, but most of my intersection issues are highly variable, and I just suck at figuring out what lane I should be in at the time/what type of lights the intersection has and putting it all together. If it's just a 4-way stop, I can generally figure it out.
>>
File: fug.jpg (21KB, 150x200px) Image search: [Google]
fug.jpg
21KB, 150x200px
>finally be able to get a drivers license at age 24
>NINE HUNDRED THIRTY TWO DOLLARS FOR INSURANCE
>>
>>35203031
seriously, i dont get how people can afford having cars from when they are in high school, in college, etc, and able to afford insurance, gas, etc
>>
>>35201752
my mom does the same, so i just double down. i drive like a maniac to begin with anyway, because it's fun
>>
>>35201626
That would be a great idea if people could learn to stay in their own lane when using them.
>>
Im 30 and I still dont have a license. im more terrified of meeting/ being judged by the instructor than actually being on the road. I wouldn't mind being in a car crash though because I want to die.

Except where I live you can't even drive the car without having a fully licensed person in the front seat. Finding a 'partner' is litereally mission impossible, and they demand you to bring your own car to the drivers test but you're not allowed to drive it there alone. really makes you think
>>
File: 14583208524310.jpg (109KB, 1280x632px)
14583208524310.jpg
109KB, 1280x632px
>Be me
>22 turning 23 in a few months
>Just got my license last year
>Buckled down and took lessons
>Was scared like op but after 5 lessons I did the driving test
>Passed the driving test
>Get license
>Scared to take a drive for the first time alone but do it anyway
>Continue doing it and feel comfy
>Realize that driving is serenity and is better than public transport by FAR
>In in my own little safe space box where I can listen to my own music and go where I want
>Last week I went through a red light because didn't pay attention
>No fine yet, think I'm good
>>
>not riding a bike instead
>>
>>35204791
No man, I do have a bike, and that's what I prefer to ride.

But I'm at the point, well really past the point, where it's now abnormal to not have a license
>>
>>35201591

>don't know when I should let people through coming from side roads

On a freeway? Merge into the other lane to let them in or speed up or slow down accordingly to let them in.

>don't know when I can get by people when coming from one of those side roads

Usually people will give way to you when merging.

>don't know when I can get around people making turns

Don't understand?

>never know what lane I should be in when driving on multilane roads

Any, Lanes furthest from the on ramps on freeways are the fast lanes for overtaking.

>never sure what turns I can make and when at intersections

Don't know what country you're from but there should be turning lanes with arrows or the traffic lights will have arrows or something.

>literally have no idea what the protocol is when an ambulance or emergency vehicle passes me, I've never had it happen yet

You simply get out of there way and merge into another lane or if on a single lane road pull over to the side and wait for them to pass.

>constantly checking the speed limit and how fast I'm going obsessively so I don't get honked at/pulled over (this especially bugs me, how do normies just know how fast they're going, I have to look almost nonstop)

Get a car with cruise control and use it if on freeways, for lower speeds it's usually just about getting used to the car.

>park crooked like a retard whenever I pull in anywhere that's not a straight shot, so have to park a good distance away from other cars/places

There is a method.

------
| CAR *
| ^

>always takes me like a full 20 seconds to reverse in the right direction since the way the wheels go is flipped (it's like suddenly inverting your controls in a video game, how do people get used to this)

Have same issue sadly.
>>
File: anonparks.png (13KB, 722x396px)
anonparks.png
13KB, 722x396px
>>35204832

I fucked up, look at this picture on how to park

>never know how to operate the windshield wipers on cars I'm not used to driving, had to manually hit it for 20 minutes last time this happened

Either on the left or right behind the steering wheel will be levers or stalks, just flick it down once,twice etc to put on the wipers and make them go faster.

>have no idea what to do when my windows fog up, I just panic and try to see as best I can

Your cars climate control unit will have a demister button somewhere, read your cars manual to find out where. Should have both a front and rear demister button.
>>
File: 1472161105144.jpg (27KB, 673x586px)
1472161105144.jpg
27KB, 673x586px
>>35200205
My learners permit expired a few years ago, too.

I don't know why I didn't just go in and take the behind the wheel test, I was even driving on freeways before!
>>
File: brink of death.jpg (63KB, 633x758px)
brink of death.jpg
63KB, 633x758px
I thought I was the only one that was terrified of driving. Fuck I need to stop denying it and realize I really am just a beta robot.
>>
>>35204832
>>never know what lane I should be in when driving on multilane roads
>Any
shit american driver confirmed, you're supposed to be in the rightmost lane at all times unless you are overtaking someone
>>
File: fuck.png (179KB, 600x511px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
179KB, 600x511px
>tfw failed drivers test 7 times
>have to pennyboard everywhere

All my friends call me Spongebob
>>
>>35200205
> 27
> Attempted to get my learner's permit three times
> Failed the written exam twice
> Left the DMV out of anxiety/fear the third time
> Live in a sparsely-populated state; saw several people I went to school + work with there
> Coworkers and management make fun of me behind my back for almost being 30 and having no car/license

I need to get my license, though. My wagekek job is probably going to vanish within two years, and I need to find something that isn't within walking distance.
>>
>>35205067

I'm Australian, read the rest of what I wrote...
>>
16 is the age you can start driving in my province. I never went for the 1st stage of my licence until i was 20. But within 6 months i had my 2nd licence (g2) but I needed insurance by that point to drive (law). I was a student at the time could not afford it, wasn't until i graduated last year at 22 and found a job where im literally driving about 50% of the time and given a company vehicle, that's when I actually started learning. I also did not have my full licence when i took the job even though i needed it for the job, wasnt until two months in that i gave them it.

First time in my company vechile i had to drive about 400km from the head office to my home and i winged it really. Since then I've driven about 40,000-50,000 km since then (been about a year now).

Willing to help others with any tips or rules of the road.
>>
>>35204550
Normally driving schools can provide you with an instructor and his/her car for the test, they did for me when i took both my driving exams.
>>
Typically, how long does it take to get the permit? I have to get it if I want to progress my life, but I keep putting it off. I know I need to get it, but it feels like I really don't even want to. Does anyone else know these feels and how to overcome them?
>>
>>35205580
I'm 20 by the way
>>
>>35205580
to get your permit you need to schedule a permit test and you might have to wait months to actually take it because the dmv are slow cock suckers and everything takes 100x longer than it should
>>
File: 1485560403814.jpg (307KB, 688x812px) Image search: [Google]
1485560403814.jpg
307KB, 688x812px
Does anyone else get anxiety with making left turns?
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.