[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone here self-taught themselves Japanese? Could you recommend

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: japann.png (130KB, 1167x876px) Image search: [Google]
japann.png
130KB, 1167x876px
Has anyone here self-taught themselves Japanese? Could you recommend a good textbook/program that I could use? I'm planning to study Japanese in Japan hopefully this Summer but they suggested I at least learn Hiragana and Katakana so I'm trying to get some recommendations on what would be reputable and efficient learning method. For instance like a study book I could buy or something. I don't need to learn EVERYTHING, just Hiragana and Katakana, and some have told me that really isn't hard to learn if you practice it for a few weeks or something.
>>
>>35198129
wat
you can learn hiragana and katakana in less than a week
>>
>>35198253
Really?!?!? Sorry I just don't know anything about the language, I didn't realize it was that simple. But would you know any reputable learning materials I could use? I don't mind paying as long as it isn't super expensive, like perhaps a workbook or something?
>>
I started learning it years ago but the first book I bought was called Japanese Demystified. It has its flaws but it covers the fundamentals of grammar and basic vocabulary. Exposes you to kanji too, so you see it's not that hard.

You won't be able to learn much Japanese from that book alone, but that's true of any one book, and this got me started.
>>
>>35198458
Well this program I'm using says it's best to AT LEAST have Hirgana and Katakana down, it'll help you immensely and give you a jump start in the course. Like I'm taking a beginner course for people who can't speak the language, but knowing Hiragana and Katakana makes it easier. And I don't even think they teach you Kanji in the first few months, or at least until you progress to a higher level course.
>>
>>35198564
What the other poster said is correct. You can indeed memorize hiragana and katakana in less than a week.

I think I probably learned it using that book and flashcards with a free program called Anki.
>>
There is an app called human japanese and its really good. Different from other language apps and its really easy
>>
>>35198564
>>35198630
Actually no, now I remember (this was over 5 years ago). I used Heisig remembering the Kana (and Anki) and learned it in a couple days.
>>
>>35198716
I don't really want to use a phone app, nothing really against it but I just think learning from a textbook or workbook is more efficiency as it explains everything and has written exercises to practice.

I did some research and I found TWO really highly rated books from learning Hiragana and Katakana, one is called Japanese from Zero

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0976998122/?tag=fluentu-20

And the other is called Japanese Hiragana and Katakana for Beginners.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0976998122/?tag=fluentu-20

They both have pretty high reviews, and got mostly 5 stars. Also a lot of people said they saw a difference immediately when they started using these books, and it was really easy to get into it. I'll probably go see if my local bookstore has these books, if not then I'll just have to order them off Amazon.
>>
>>35198129
Learn Japanese here on r9k
>>
>>35199249
That is a horrible idea, I'd rather learn from a book written by an actual Japanese person rather than learn from people who self-studied. And even if they learned it from an instructor I still don't know if I'd want to learn that way, I'd probably be better off just doing a self-study through textbooks and workbooks.
>>
>>35198129

>>>/int/71710617
>>>/int/71724055
>>
get into the native material asap and avoid textbooks and dictionaries except when you want to look something up
>>
>>35199392
Oh, I wasn't aware that board existed. My bad.

>>35199410
What do you mean by native material? And why would textbooks be bad? They have high reviews, and people said it was great for a beginner to learn the foundations/basics of the language.
>>
>>35198129

>Deluded weebs want to learn Japanese

Nothing new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2FGgYp6mdk
>>
>>35199480
w-why are you being so mean? ;_;
>>
>>35199480
>Deluded weeb wants to learn Japanese

What's your problem? Anyone can learn any language if they want to, so what if I'm a weeb and want to learn Japanese? I'm getting to go to Japan and study Japanese in Japan so I'm just trying to get a head start on the language, nothing wrong with that. A lot of people want to go to Japan and probably never will get the chance, I see it as a big opportunity and I just want to be prepared. I guess if someone wants to learn Spanish or German that makes them faggots as well, you sound like a jackass.
>>
>>35199524

And explain to me, why exactly do you want to learn a language primarily used by the most homogeneous nation on earth?

You'd be better off learning Korean, they like westerners a lot more.
>>
>>35199582
Ahem. They do not. Korea's way more xenophobic than Japan. Just because they have shiny kpop doesn't mean they take kindly to westerners.
>>
Literally pen and paper are all you need to learn the kana. Just find a stroke order chart online and practice writing them until you have them memorized. If you want to learn more advanced stuff, Tae Kim is great for grammar and Remembering the Kanji for radicals. You could also download anki and the C2K deck. It's two thousand of the most common words. /int/ and /jp/ both have daily japanese threads that have links to guides and other resources. You really don't need to spend any money to learn japanese
>>
>>35199582
>Hurr durr Japanese hate westerns

I really don't give a fuck, lots of foriegners go to Japan and claim they had a great time. Also I wasn't aware you needed a reason to learn a language, maybe I just want to learn it because I like Japan and Japanese culture? Or maybe I just want to be able to watch anime without subtitles or read manga in Japanese. I don't have to explain myself to you, I mean what are you? The fucking language police? You just dictate who can learn a language?

Fuck off faggot
>>
>>35198129
I've been taking Japanese for 2 years. We use Genki An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese. There are workbooks as well as the textbooks, I recommend getting both. You can find the workbooks and textbooks online as a pdf.

As for katakana and hiragana, there are lots of things online. It shouldn't take you that long to learn all the characters.
>>
just write out each kana and say it 50 times and do that every day for a week

I have no job so it was easy for me
>>
>>35198129
look up genki 1 and 2, learn that after learning the hiragana and katakana characters
>>
>>35199633
Well while I agree you can learn Japanese without spending money, I'm mostly paying for the trip to go OVER TO JAPAN, while the money also pays for my course you're actually getting to travel to Japan, live there for a few months, see the sights, and actually interact with Japanese people in Japan. So while I agree the money might be somewhat wasteful on learning the language, it's more about the trip and experience that you're paying for.

Also as I already said I feel like learning from a professional in a formal setting has it's merits.

>>35199655
>I have no job

Kek, sorry but that made me laugh.
>>
>>35199703
i meant write it out 50 times. Get graph paper to write the characters out on

i actually quite like kana, the characters look very nice
>>
>>35199599
>>35199642

t.Triggered weebs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debito_Arudou
>>
>>35199786
>Being this upset that people want to learn Japanese for their own personal reasons

How immature
>>
>>35199786
>debito
lol. you know you've fucking failed at life when even english teachers look down on you
>>
>>35198129

Learn Hiragana. One day.
Learn Katakana. One day.
Make a mental travel (Method of Loci) with 2000 places. One day of preparation.
Learn 2000 Kanji in a day. Easy to remember them all in order thanks to the prep day, just put each of them in your mental palace.
Repeat for 3 days to be sure they're ingrained in your head. That's it, you know them all.
Lay back on 7th day like Kamisama Himself.

Then report, I want to know if it works before I waste my time trying this.
>>
Nigger if you need a fucking book to learn something as simple as kana then you are better off not trying to learn at all
>>
>>35199927
>Expecting me to be your guinea pig

If you have such a detailed plan of action then why just do it yourself? I know you're afraid of wasting your time because it won't work, but I still think you'd get more out of it if you did it yourself instead of having someone else test it for you.

>>35199949
I wasn't aware how simple it was to learn, but based off your comment and several others it seems very easy to learn without a textbook. I just personally am one of those people who likes to learn from a book of some kind, especially a reputable or educational book. I'm skeptical about doing this whole going online and using free programs, that's just me personally.
>>
>>35199927
Kekilepek
>>
File: 03.gif (298KB, 500x269px) Image search: [Google]
03.gif
298KB, 500x269px
>>35198129
I learned Hiragana and Katakana in 2 days man. I just practiced writing them all day because was bored. Took a few more days to recognize and write them faster, but that was it no more than 4-5 days total.

Now I'm just using a dictionary I found in a library. Some words or expressions are written using kanjis but they all have the Hiragana pronunciation. So I'm learning a few words at the same time I get more natural on my Hiragana writing and reading.

Not sure what would be a next step, going to read the thread now so here is a bump.
>>
>>35199703
My apologies anon, I meant to say if all you're looking to do is get lay the foundation before your trip, you don't really need a textbook or anything like that. Definitely immersion is the best way to learn any language, especially the speaking/listening aspect, which a lot of people who self teach japanese are lacking in. Best of luck to you anon, and I hope you have a great time in Japan! It's a very beautiful country
>>
File: 1487442198180.jpg (164KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1487442198180.jpg
164KB, 800x800px
>>35198129
What's good, OP

I've been living in Japan for 5+ years, not by choice, and here's my tree fiddy

Hiragana and Katakana are pretty much just the basic alphabet, aside from kanji. Making up sounds like "ka" and "sa" and so on. Super easy to remember. You can do it in a week or two.

Everything else, unless you actually live here and are surrounded by japanese shit and people speaking japanese to you, it's gonna be pretty hard to get a good grasp of conversational jap.

You should just take a vacation here and talk to senior citizens (regular people will try to avoid talking to you sometimes) to really get a grasp on the language,
>>
File: 1470119609412.jpg (332KB, 743x473px) Image search: [Google]
1470119609412.jpg
332KB, 743x473px
>>35198129
I'm still on it, planning on take the N1 this year and I can finally read fast enough with minor problems (VNs, books, 2ch/2chan, etc) though I need to improve the listening and speaking part. Be prepared to spend a shit-ton of time if you want to be really proficient, N1 doesn't seems so hard. When I started I used tae-kim and DoJG series together with anki and RTK. If you only want to speak that's going to take a lot less time.
>>
>>35199736
My 'ki' hirigana always looks like shit.
>>
>>35200002
>If you have such a detailed plan of action then why just do it yourself?

Oh you know, I'm smart but lazy; therefore, using a guinea pig sounds safer.

Theory is sound. World record for associating faces and names is at 100 faces with correct name and surname memorized in 15 minutes (though, not that different from Kanji, if you think about it).

People may think it's impossible but if a guy can learn the basics of Icelandic in a week... Surely one week is pushing it but then is there a guy known for learning japanese really fast? (a legit one)
That would give us an idea of what the minimum amount of time is.
Nobody ain't got no time to waste.
>>
>>35198357
go to realkana.com or something like that
there are alot of apps to help you- that's what i used
>>
>>35200372
I only want to learn to speak and have conversations. Do you have any tips?
>>
>>35198129
there's books you can buy and sites you can use to learn kana

I'm working my way through genki, but I learned kana in a couple weeks by buying a workbook to practice writing and using memrise for flashcards
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.