[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>always confident in my intelligence >decide to try out

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

File: chess.jpg (439KB, 820x760px) Image search: [Google]
chess.jpg
439KB, 820x760px
>always confident in my intelligence
>decide to try out Chess Titans
>second-easiest difficulty
>computer opponent hands my ass to me every time and makes me feel like an idiot
HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR CHESS AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR YOU. HATE. HATE.
>>
Chess has nothing to do with intelligence. You literally just learn all the strategies so you can choose the optimal move. It is a test of autism and memory, not "intelligence" or creativity. It's a mathematically deterministic game, a tic-tac-toe for the middle class. Play Hex instead which is non-deterministic.

>tfw to smart for chess
>>
>>35126261
I've never beat the cunt once, best I've ever gotten was a draw, and that's on the easiest difficulty, learning how to play chess takes practice though regardless of intelligence.
>>
File: 1487769625531.jpg (100KB, 639x768px) Image search: [Google]
1487769625531.jpg
100KB, 639x768px
>Intelligence
It only gets you through highschool.

Breaking news; You actually have to work to achieve things in life.

Be happy for that though, because it means you don't have to be born a math genius to become one. If you knew how much time and energy Einstein put into his theory of relativity, you wouldn't call him a genius.

Get good man. That's what life is about
>>
Play against humans on chess.com.
>>
>>35126261
Literally all you have to do is open with the Sicilian Dragon but then feint and use your knight to devastate the left side. it will work every time
>>
>>35126328
>learn all the strategies
ez m8
sarcasm aside even knowing certain moves you will usually have to calculate moves ahead at some point, besides what game doesn't involve strategy?
>>
File: 1478618471012.jpg (54KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1478618471012.jpg
54KB, 633x758px
>be child in school
>get good grades
>no friends and spend recess in the corner reading books
>teacher takes a liking to me
>have the same taste in books and music and stuff
>loves my school work and essays
>always have good meaningful conversations with each other
>tries to tell me it's okay to be a loser because I'm smart and will go places
>one of the only people in my life to truly care about me
>grow up working as hard as I could learning things
>be adult
>realize that being smart got me nowhere in life
>employers don't give a flying fuck about grades
>social retardation and anxiety always holds me back
>no one gives a shit if you can solve partial differential equations, or interpret the meaning of modernist literature
>tfw find out the teacher I liked so much is in now jail for diddling male students
>tfw therapist tells me I might have repressed memories of being diddled by him
>>
>>35126706
why would you remember all that stuff and not being molested? I think repressed memories are a meme
>>
>>35126261
Chess isn't really a test of intellect. It's a game like any other, and you're not going to be good at it on your first time playing. Study chess strategy then come back and you will see the AI making tons of mistakes. That difficulty is likely comparable to a 1500 rated player, or a highschool chess team.
>>
File: 1408813716004.jpg (59KB, 405x481px) Image search: [Google]
1408813716004.jpg
59KB, 405x481px
>>35126349
>tfw weak man in good times

Feels really bad
>>
GM here
I have meet some good chess players who were dumb as bricks and I teach some people who seem pretty smart but suck at chess.
There was this one IM that I met and he could barely do basic arithmetic
>>
>>35127245
The thing about AI and chess is that the AI can literally see every single possible move and outcome of the game possible from beginning to end and on the lower difficulty it just deliberately picks worse moves and on the highest difficulty it picks the moves that are mathematically impossible to overcome for a human being since they can't instantly calculate every single possible odd and see 50 moves in the future and their outcomes too.

It'd probably be better to practice against people of all skill ranges than an AI.
>>
>>35127245
it seems pretty hard to break 1500, mike kummer was state chess champion and plays all the time and teaches chess and he is only rated like 1700.
>>
>>35126261
I used to think I was good at chess because I knew all the rules and thought out my moves when most of my opponents didn't. Just got back into chess and wow do I suck. I'm pretty much just doing the Spanish opening or Sicilian defence and I still end up losing most of the time.
>>
>>35127706
Study more
What books have you read?
>>
>>35127749
None related to chess. I'm just learning from YouTube. Magnus Carlsen had a video where he said to have a strong opening, control the centre squares, and protect the king. So I've basically been attempting that and learning openings.
>>
>>35127976
Read more books
Something like Jeremy Silman's Complete Book of Chess Strategy, and his Reassess your Chess book.
Some endgame book too
>>
File: 6547454345243.jpg (53KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
6547454345243.jpg
53KB, 800x600px
top tip: if you play against someone who really loves chess, mirror their moves and force a stalemate if you can

you will obtain pic related without fail

winning is for pussies.
>>
>>35128235
There are mirror traps man, then black and white are usually different, as black sets the opening.
>>
>>35128287
you should focus and practise on stalemating only, and countering those traps

if you dedicate yourself to this purpose you will become a weapon of mass triggering, activate your inner smugness and go bravely anon
>>
>>35128375
Then you aren't mirroring his moves. If you want to learn to play chess you play it a shitton until you start seeing better positions, better attacks, common patterns etc etc.
>>
>>35128235
Spoken like a true 900 Elo player
>>
>>35126261
>implying chess is about "intelligence"
It's like basic math, just practice and more practice. It doesn't matter how smart you are, you'll only do well if you know how to play well
>>
File: propI2.gif (10KB, 313x312px) Image search: [Google]
propI2.gif
10KB, 313x312px
>>35128537
>just like basic math
No
>>
>>35126328
You don't know anything about chess, or competitive games for that matter.
>>
>>35126261
Oh dear. Ahahaabba, chess titans brings back memories. I got so frustrated by that fucking game but I know how to beat it. Every machine has its weakspot, try ctrl+z and all your troubles will be over friend.
>>
File: 1486031965718.jpg (284KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1486031965718.jpg
284KB, 2048x1536px
>not playing shogi
>>
>>35128760
weeb faggot
Shogi is a pile of shit
>>
>>35126328
>chess
>strategy
It's tactics you retard
>>
>>35128537
>>35128637
he's exactly right. I was about to post the exact same thing. Recognise the problem. Execute the pre learned method for solving it. Depending on how well you are at thinking fast in the exam determines how much you need to practice the problem. All math up to calc 2 is just that.

t. 1900 in chess, MMath
>>
>>35126261
you do know that even iphone chess apps have better and more complex AI than that of kasparov's chess rapist, deep-blue, right?

An AI will always beat a human at chess, >>35127400 is right.
>>
File: 1484417494627.png (856KB, 937x912px) Image search: [Google]
1484417494627.png
856KB, 937x912px
>>35129183
You have no understanding of either chess or math, brainlet.
>>
>>35129221

>t. can't pass pre calc

whatever, my rating and my postgrad degree more than qualifies me to speak on both matters
>>
>>35129221
If your pic related is anything to go on, he did say "up to calc 2", which I completely agree with desu.
>>
>>35129321
>1900
>thinks that is a good rating
top kek, anything below 2000 is shit tier, you are student level
And again you show your ignorance
You should like an engineer
>math is about rote memorization and application of formula!
>>
>>35129365

okay

tell me one commonly taught topic in calc 2 or calc 3 that requires a deeper understanding of math beyond problem practice and applying formula.
>>
>>35129221
what the fuck does your image mean?
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.