[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>$120,000 in student loans >currently pay off $2000 a year

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (79KB, 709x765px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79KB, 709x765px
>$120,000 in student loans
>currently pay off $2000 a year because I barely earn min wage as a Quality Control cuck at an engineering firm
>mfw at this rate it will take 50 years to pay it back

Considering to kms so that the debt burden falls on my parents. It will be revenge for giving birth to me.
>>
I've got 100k and have to pay 1k a month on mine
Fuck the government
>>
>he fell for the education meme

Sorry for your loss OP.
>>
>>35090999
You'll easily pay it off in 10 years at that rate. Why are you mad?
>>
>>35090991
live at home and make bigger payments?

Hope there's a spell of hyperinflation in the near future?

Bet on black?
>>
>>35091017
One will be, the other is 30 years, ones 20k the other 80k, I'd have to make another 300 a mo on the second ones payments to do 10 years
>>
at first i read 12k and i thought what this bitching about.

then i realized it was 120k and keked out loud. how are you that fucking retarded? what stupid ass school did you go to that u ended up 120k in debt and still got a shitty job. Fucking doctors end up with less then 120k in debt
>>
>>35091069
I also had to live out and travel everyday to college. Thats why my debt is much higher.
>>
>>35090991
If it's gonna fall on your parents anyways, you can just stop paying, you know.
>>
>>35090999
>Fuck the government
Yeah. They are the ones who held the gun to your head and told you to take out these loans, right?
>>
>>35091093
>had to
No you wanted to you lying cuck
>>
>>35091093
You don't get to make that excuse. You lived off your student loans rather than taking out a part time job and getting roommates to pay those bills.

You CHOSE to go down that path. You didn't have to do that.
>>
>>35091093
what are you trying to say? you commuted and still racked up 120k? or are you saying you studied abroad or something. your post makes no sense.
>>
>>35091106
Yeah, they literally are. Have you been to American high school? It's literally propaganda to get you to sign your life away to college.
>>
>>35091138
They dont force you. If youre dumb enough for fall for that shit thats your fault
>>
Cant pay back your debt if youre dead ;)
>>
>>35091138
And yet I went to and graduated from American High School, yet didn't go to college.

Instead, I decided to get an apprenticeship as an electrician, and, once I got my Journeyman's, I traveled EVERYWHERE.

According to my credit report that my credit card supplies in its app, I've got a score of 704 and the only debt that I have is my credit card debt (~300 bucks). I also apparently have a ding from a closed Wells Fargo account, despite the fact that it says that I owe them zero dollars.
>>
>>35091173
I don't know how it works in the states but sometimes debt can be slapped on to family and stuff if the person dies
>>
>>35091138
I graduated with 30k in debt, got a job making 60 out of college and worked part time on the weekend at another job. i paid my student loans off in one year. I didnt go to some private school filed with cardigan wearing fuckboys then expected daddy government to pay the bill.
>>
>>35091197
Only if they cosigned the loan, or are married to you.
>>
>>35091156
You're literally conditioned from the time you enter kindergarten until you graduate high school that you need a good college to do anything in life. You're kidding yourself if you think an 18 year old is mature enough to know what they're doing, most have never earned that much money in their lives total.
We could be like every other decent first world country and offer free college, but I guess that's too much.

>>35091189
And you're going to cap out at 80k a year at best, you have to go to college to get a real high paying job.
>>
>>35091197
You cant give a shit about your family if youre dead ;)
>>
>>35091209
>And you're going to cap out at 80k a year at best, you have to go to college to get a real high paying job.

I'm currently making 46.60/hr as a 3rd shift power plant operator, living in a town where the average rent is around 500/month.
>>
>>35091209
>he graduated highschool
I think youd be happier on reddit
>>
Why would you guys even do this to yourselves

I'm a NEET but I would never want to go to college and get a job that isn't blue collar shit. I'd rather be poor and happy working like a dog 40 hours a week and saving all of my money like a jew than be rich and miserable slaving away to passive aggressive office workers just to pay back the loan I had to take out and the 4 years of my life I had to give up to get the job in the first place
>>
>>35090991
try working as a policeman or firefighter or some other job that has government debt forgiveness
>>
>>35091211
This. I don't know why people care about that shit if you're dead. Besides most of y'all are neets which means your parents are fine.
>>
>>35091209

>cap out at 80k

What the fuck do you need more than 80k a year for? Jfc American consumerism was a mistake
>>
>>35091225
I really don't care how you're technically making, it's literally pennies to real rich people. Are you arguing that everyone should go into blue collar jobs? Or only rich people should be allowed to go to college and get professional jobs?
>>
>>35091272
>Are you arguing that everyone should go into blue collar jobs? Or only rich people should be allowed to go to college and get professional jobs?
That sounds reasonable. You didnt buy into the follow ur dreams scam did you?
>>
>>35091272
How are blue collar jobs not professional?
>>
>>35091272
real rich people start businesses which doesnt require college to do.
>>
>>35091272
I'm not saying anything, other than that rent here is around 500 bucks, 800 bucks/month is for brand new, top of the line duplexes and shit, and I'm making about 97k per year gross, and I have no debt to my name, all without going to college.

You're free to do what you like, but if you're buying into the idea that you have to go to college in order to have something other than a McJob, then you're a fool.

You're also a fool if you treat college as anything other than what it is: Very expensive training and networking.
>>
>>35091325

I think that you'd admit your position is an outlier.
>>
>>35091297
Yeah that sounds great, we can have 60 million plumbers all trying to fish shit out of toilets.
I actually got extremely lucky and got a high paying job right out of college and am in a niche market so I'm pretty much able to go to any company I want, but I am in the minority, most people ARE going to be graduating with piles of debt because they didn't know better, and won't find good jobs.
>>35091313
Lmfao you're an idiot if you think this, there are fluke millionaires, but the majority of super rich all have some college education
>>
>>35091340
All sucessful people are.
>>
>>35091366

Are you just trolling then I guess?
Because not only is that untrue it's besides the point.
>>
>>35091354
>we can have 60 million plumbers all trying to fish shit out of toilets.
Sounds better than 60 million Liberal Arts majors
>>
>>35091340
How so? How much do you pay per hour to have your car worked on? Just labor, mind you.

How much do you pay per hour to have a plumber work on your house (again, just labor).

How much do you pay per hour for an electrician?

How much do you pay per hour for HVAC? Welding, if you need it?

Normal cost is about 60/hour. Apprentices make around 15, journeyman make around 30, masters (who don't work for themselves) make around 45. Masters that work for themselves pocket it all, so 60 (of course, they have additional expenses, but they still don't have to share their pay with an employer).

I'd say it's pretty normal for a 30-35 year old skilled tradesman to be making 45/hr.
>>
>>35091375
>untrue it's besides the point.
Just like you.
>>
>>35091381
I agree, those are worthless degrees. I'm talking about STEM, finance, law, med majors, the people actually effecting the world. There is no reason only the super rich should be able to attain these degrees, some of them require a specific kind of person, and those roles would go completely unfilled
>>
>>35091390

Paying 45/hr for labor =/= "making 45 an hour"

Unless you literally think all of us should have our own trade company, in which case we're still not gonna be sitting on the clock racking in $45/hr since we'll be spending significant time/energy actually looking for work and new customers.
>>
>>35091420
>no reason only the super rich should be able to attain these degrees
Why not? Children from rich households are more intelligent and educated
>>
>>35091420
>effecting
nigga pls
>>
>>35091426
No, you pay 60 dollars per hour for the labor. I was talking about what the apprentices, journeyman, and masters actually earned. A business owner only makes 15 bucks per hour if he sends a Master to your house. He makes 30 bucks per hour if he sends a Journeyman, and 45 if he sends an apprentice (which is the whole reason they train apprentices).
>>
>>35091426
Stop embarrasing yourself. You dont even have a point anymore
>>
>>35091432
I've met ghetto kids that understand how programming works better than ivy league grads, luckily that is a field where you can still prove your worth by knowledge instead of degree. Say the same circumstances happened with someone equally as gifted with math, but they aren't able to afford college without massive loans. Should he resign his possible chances as making a difference so he can go scrub toilets?

>>35091441
Ya sorry phone posting and it's late
>>
>Actually putting effort into the game when its rigged from the start
Why even bother, all you losers are playing it on hardmode, so why would you go out of your way to even play it, just stay in your room and play videogams instead
>>
>>35091481
>Ya sorry phone posting and it's late
What kind of excuse is that? Go to bed if youre tired ffs
>>
>>35091481
>Should he resign his possible chances as making a difference so he can go scrub toilets?
Yes life isnt fair.
>>
>>35091496
It's fun to debate, I'm in bed just waiting to pass out
>>
>>35091452

My dad is an electrician dumbass.
These guys aren't sitting around on the clock pulling in $45/hr.
You're trying to make it sound like anyone who isn't doing this fucked up.
Yeah, of course we'd all sign up for the guaranteed high income job that doesn't require debt. We didn't b/c it doesn't work that way.
>>
>>35091510
Or university could be provided like everywhere in Europe, maybe we don't need to pay 600 dollars per hammer for the military and redirect it to this that actually improve our society
>>
>>35091536
>improve our society
What for? Why would the rich want to give up their money and power?
>>
>>35091511
If it's so fun then put some effort into it. No wonder youre lowlife scum
>>
just finished paying off my school
>waiting tables making ~30 an hour
graduating with masters in chemE in May
interviews left and right
>first offer was a measly 64k
>passed on it
>should have done electrical or learned to code
>feel bad for indians that get filtered out of interviews just for being indian
>don't feel too bad since it's nice i don't have to compete with them
>seriously, who the fuck is hiring pajeets
>like 100 masters students i've never seen before attended intel info session
>intel doesn't even hire indians
it's weird
>intel better offer 75k starting at least
>>
>>35091536
>BEING THIS DELUSIONAL
>ACTUALLY ALLOWING URSELF TO BE INDOCTRINATED
L O L
>>
>>35090991
>$120,000 in student loans
How does this happen?
Are you rich kid at NYU or something?
>>
>>35091536
Then the people who made smart decisions to get useful degrees, or to not go to college and become skilled tradesman, have to pay for the fucking retards that go for a degree in their native language.

You can pay for your own specialized training.
>>
>>35091570
I already make more than both your parents combined, you literally have software I've written on your computer right now. I'm just being realistic, how long do you think this student loan meme can last? The prices for college are increasing exponentially, people will keep going to it regardless of being able to afford it or not. Then they're going to get locked into paying back over half their salary every month for the rest of their lives while they work at Walmart. It isn't sustainable, they will never be able afford their own houses or move on with their lives until it's paid off when they are 50
>>
>>35091633
both my parents are on welfare and have been their whole life, but you keep working for mr.shekelstein
>>
>>35091694
That's your entire argument? Really? I wanted to start talking about financial aid and how it exists to turn lower class into middle class and keep the middle class where they are -- slaves to the government
>>
>>35091567
>paid full price, only recently managed in-state tuition due to some governing board changes
>don't even have access to pell grants
>few scholarships but nothing i couldn't manage by working more double shifts when i can here or there and during the summer
it sucks seeing low stress kids that live on or near campus, with no job, having all week to work on assignments or study
managing more research positions and student associations, networking
community college transfer students like me have odds stacked against us since university gpa is completely calculated off only the difficult engineering classes, no padded eng 101 shit
and these kids are wealthy enough to have family and connections at huge engineering corporations
also they're fucking smart, sharp, and capable

i'm not saying you can't make it happen but no one is going to make it easier for you
>the reality of it is i've worked myself to the bone just to have parity with people with slightly better luck
>i regret nothing
>>
>full scholarship to an awful tiny methodist college with 1000~ students
>worst 4 years of my life, surrounded by literal retards and never challenged intellectually outside of 4chan
>sit in room 90% of the day
>no friends

>graduating in april with 2 honors stem degrees cum laude/presidents list and no debt

it's all uphill from here robots
>>
>>35091633
You want to fix that problem? Just let kids declare bankruptcy on them again, and stop guaranteeing them at the federal level.

Used to be you could go to college and work part time at McDonalds (minimum wage being like 2 bucks per hour in the 80s) and graduate with a 4 year degree and have around 5k of student debt.

Whenever the government guarantees something, the price is guaranteed to go up exponentially. Right now, there is no price ceiling from the government. The only stipulation is that 10 percent of students that enroll pay for it without any sort of government aide.
>>
>>35091760
It's honestly crazy that they can't be declared in bankruptcy, it is set up so that no matter what you do it is impossible, regardless of it will ruin your life or not. At the end of the day I guess all the government really cares about is making money off its people
>>
>>35091778
I think it was set up with good intentions. Just like welfare, easy divorce, child support payments, etc.

But everything that they touch outside of war turns to shit. Even infrastructure. How many bridges need critical repairs because government officials loved cutting the ribbons, but hated paying the maintenance bills?
>>
>>35090991
Debt is a spook, move to south america or eurasia.
>>
>>35091778
There's no collateral.
>>
>>35091838
Student loans were possible without collateral before government started guaranteeing them. The thing was that banks weren't willing to lend to someone with bad credit history, and even if they had good credit history (or had parents with good credit history), because there was no collateral, they limited the amount they would lend, depending on degree (you'd get more if you were becoming a doctor, or something, but would be turned down for a shit degree, like Poli-Sci).

When government started guaranteeing loans for everybody, the college started raising rates because of the increased demands, and banks gave out as much money as anyone asked for because the government guaranteed payment.
>>
File: C4OmAg-WAAIMwVD.jpg large.jpg (122KB, 850x1208px) Image search: [Google]
C4OmAg-WAAIMwVD.jpg large.jpg
122KB, 850x1208px
>>35091760
>Whenever the government guarantees something, the price is guaranteed to go up exponentially.
bingo
>>
>>35091907
And government subsidizes student loans, housing, childcare, healthcare, and the food industry.

Take those out of the mix, and how much has inflation gone up? By that graph's own measure, nothing. It's actually gotten cheaper in the industries that government doesn't subsidize.
>>
>>35091941
The problem is the subsidized industries go and raise the price, so they're getting the original price you paid plus the money the government supplements.
Healthcare is probably the biggest scam, charging 80 dollars for a 3 cent pill when youre in the ER because they know the insurance company will pay for it, and eventually you will
>>
>>35091967
Don't forget about all the nogs that can't pay and go straight to the ER.
>>
>>35091967
To be fair regarding that pill, the second pill might cost 3 cents, but the first pill costs hundreds of millions of dollars in R&D, as well as testing and FDA approval.

Not saying the playing field is level, or that exploitation never happens, but it IS a bit more complicated than overcharging for a pill.
>>
>>35091991
Medicaid, I think probably fucks us harder than anything. There's a reason fewer and fewer doctors accept it, and it isn't because they are greedy. It's because its more trouble than its worth.
>>
>>35091998
I was talking about how they charge a ton for ibuprofen mostly, some drugs make more sense than others, and there are definitely overhead costs for a lot of what they do, they just tack it on in shady ways
>>
>>35092018
Oh, again, exploitation absolutely occurs. Some of it, like the ibuprofen, can be to help cover malpractice insurance in case the patient has a bad reaction to a common pill (even if he knew it would be a bad reaction, but intentionally lied to have it lead to a bad reaction for lawsuit purposes; seen it happen). But even if you look at food prices and the like, there's definitely exploitation going on there. What's funny is that the hospitals and doctors have nobody to blame but themselves, thanks to lobbying congress to take away pharmacist's ability to prescribe medicine and the like.

Doctors and hospitals campaigned to restrict medical care, then overcharged for it, only to find themselves targets of lawsuits when shit goes sideways. I don't have a whole lot of pity for the medical industry, as they were the ones who made the bed. But now, in order to protect themselves, they have to jack up costs.

Once again, allowing government to start meddling where it really had no business meddling had dire consequences.
>>
>>35090991
How much does a year in college cost in america?
In my country its less then 10k dollaru for college and about 4k for university.
>>
>>35092198
Depends on the college. You can expect it to cost between 100 and 300 dollars per credit hour, plus the cost of books. Lots of people stay in the dorms, and eat at the cafeteria. Dorms are rediculously expensive, and the cafeteria food is about $7/meal (all you can eat, but it's shitty food, so you'd have to eat an awful lot to make money on them).
>>
>>35092273
Is it considered taboo to have your parents help with rent and tuition fee?
>>
>>35092336
It's not taboo, no. But keep in mind that if you go back just to 1990, before college loans were guaranteed, you could get a degree with a part time job while at college and over the summer breaks, and you could graduate with less than 5k of debt. Even at the minimum wage of 2 bucks per hour, you'd be able to pay that off within a year or two. If you actually got a job in engineering or something, you could get it paid off in months.

Government fucked it up.
>>
>>35091269
Depends where you live. You would be unable to ever own a home at that wage in many US metro areas.
>>
>>35092432
The metros are the exception, not the rule. If you aren't in a meat grinder like NYC, LA, SF, or Seattle, you can own a home quite easily.

And, thanks to the internet, there's not much need to live in those meat grinders anymore, other than the "prestige," which means that you also pay an inflated price for service (they gotta pay their bills, too).
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.