[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who else here grew up reading Redwall? I didn't turn into

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: redwall_map_by_finncat.png (824KB, 800x579px) Image search: [Google]
redwall_map_by_finncat.png
824KB, 800x579px
Who else here grew up reading Redwall?

I didn't turn into a furry or anything but these were among the comfiest books known to man and I wish I still had the attention span/time to read the last few, which came out after I started going through puberty and stopped reading "children's books"

I've read them all up through Triss. Marlfox was the best. Are the ones after Triss (Loamhedge, Rakkety Tam, High Rhulain, Eulalia, Doomwyte, Sable Quean, Rogue Crew) worth reading?
>>
I never read the books but I watched the show as a kid.

I never really understood why they were mice/badgers/rats/whatever except for shoehorned furfaggotry.
>>
>>35089198
conversely I never watched the show, just read the books.

not sure what there is to understand about why the animals are animals... they're animals for the same reason that the humans in lord of the rings are humans: pretty much just how the author decided to write the story.

the books were written for blind british children in the early 90s so i don't think furry bullshit was part of the calculus there. dude probably just figured the books would be more interesting if the "good vs. evil" trope was played out among woodland creatures as opposed to regular old humans
>>
>>35089169

i did. i got up to like the 11th book then fell off.

The Long Patrol is what i remember.
>>
I love the Redwall books but I will admit I haven't read many of them. I remember I started reading them in like, middle school or early high school, I can't quite remember where I got it from but the first one I read was the Bellmaker and it made me cry like a little bitch and it got me into literature in general. I fucking love Mossflower, its a perfect book to me. I gave this cute girl at work my copy because she likes animals (watches a bit of anime too) and I thought she would like it and she did. Too bad she has a bf. At least I got a nice kitten from her.

But I'm really surprised that a big company like Disney hasn't picked up the rights to this series and made a cinematic universe out of them because it's really ripe for it. The stories have both kid and adult appeal and already have a small legion of fans. You could merchandise the shit out of those stories. I'd like to see them as photo-realistic CGI films with as little anthropromorization as possible. That would be awesome.
>>
>>35089581
It got 3 seasons of an animated show from some Canadian company in like 1999.

Would be fun if someone with a lot of money picked it up and did something cool with it though.
>>
>>35089169
I don't know why but Mattimeo got to me (maybe 'cuz of Tess the mouse or whoever she was). Also really liked Eulalia.

Damn that was a while ago.
>>
>>35089651
It's kind of weird to think I read these books prior to puberty so that's probably why I didn't develop a rodent waifu.

I was saved from being a furry by a matter of months.
>>
>>35089688
It was weird. I reverse-anthropomorphized everyone in my mind when I read those books (Ie, I saw Tess the mouse as a teen or pre-teen girl and Martin the Warrior as just a warrior guy with a sword who was a well-meaning badass, even though the book called him a mouse). I dunno - I was ten or so when I read them, but the idea of rodents and such creatures just didn't jive with my imagination.
>>
>>35089741
i could never figure out if they were supposed to be mice-sized mice or like human-sized mice
>>
>>35089758
Yea, the sizes didn't make much sense - I mean, if the badger lords were badgers and the mice were mice, then the badgers would be like fucking Yhorm the Giant over everyone else. Mattimeo with the fox would be like facing off with a Bloodborne boss.

Maybe that was why I couldn't imagine them as the writer wrote them. Mice vs. a pike would be an aquatic beatdown, not to mention Redwall itself would break down via species line.

Idk. Maybe I lacked creativity as a kid.
>>
File: RW026_SA_02_big.jpg (100KB, 550x412px) Image search: [Google]
RW026_SA_02_big.jpg
100KB, 550x412px
>>35089798
this is how the animated show did it, which makes sense i guess but still kind of weird

i just never understood like when they were climbing trees and stuff
>>
>>35089169
I did. It stuck to me a lot more than The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings did, for whatever reason. I had so many of those books and lost them all when my father kicked me out on my 16th birthday.

>>35089651
>I don't know why but Mattimeo got to me (maybe 'cuz of Tess the mouse or whoever she was). Also really liked Eulalia.
Damn, same here. I forgot about them until today. I particularly remember Martin the Warrior, Mossflower (and that wildcat queen and the book I remember enjoying the most), Mattimeo, and a few other books. I think I stopped around Pearls of Lutra, but read some out of order (Taggerung).
>>
>>35089839
Never saw the show, but I guess that makes sense. Idk, when you add the wildcats and fish, it makes the idea of mice being the moral protagonists completely out of proportion.

Fuck, I was a weird kid.

Regardless, they were good stories, with good messages and solid heroes. Shit's sorely lacking these days. Protagonists like Matthias and Martin the Warrior are characters to look up to for kids.
>>
>>35089169
Holy shit yes OP. I got fucking lost in that whole book series.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.