[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys I really could use some advice, basically I'm 24 with

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

File: sky_lanterns_by_wlop-d7b5nfg.jpg (219KB, 1600x910px) Image search: [Google]
sky_lanterns_by_wlop-d7b5nfg.jpg
219KB, 1600x910px
Guys I really could use some advice, basically I'm 24 with a college degree in Communication and things are just looking bad. I can't find work, and I'm currently working part-time still living with my parents. My mother is at her wits end, she doesn't like that I haven't found a 40 hour a week job that pays well. She wants me to go back and get a Master's degree but I really don't want to go back to school. She keeps pressuring me to do and then she starts guilty tripping me when I say I don't want to go.

I can't afford to live on my own, and I'm still reliant on my parents for lots of things. I've been trying to send out applications for jobs but none of them are full-time and they all pay shitty wages. I'm just afraid, I mean I don't want this to be my life from now on. I don't want to just work part-time and live with my parents from now on, but I don't know how to find my way in life or get an ambition. It's really stressing me out, and it's stressing my mother out even more.

Ultimately it seems like going back to school would be the ideal solution, but that's what my mom wants and not really what I want. Also I have no social life and that really upsets my mom as well, she knows I'm a loser and it breaks her heart. She doesn't like that I don't have a girlfriend, or friends and that I just sit in my room on the computer when I'm not a work.
>>
File: 1470520003308.jpg (301KB, 1047x1324px) Image search: [Google]
1470520003308.jpg
301KB, 1047x1324px
>>35064200
>degree in Communication
>I can't find work
This is most people without a stem degree now, unless you get completely lucky the only way your going to get nonwagecuck work is going into a trade, getting a degree in stem or building up your own portfolio in coding or something else. What was your reason for going into communication to begin with?
>>
File: 04-ff-unemployment-140.jpg (103KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
04-ff-unemployment-140.jpg
103KB, 600x400px
>>35064200

>college degree in Communication

Best of luck, anon
>>
what exactly does communication teach?
>>
>>35064200
What would you enjoy, OP? Going to a trade school isn't a bad idea if you don't want to get a cubicle job.
>>
Master's would be pretty fancy indeed, could get it in plenty of majors. Be willing to move far away would also be big help.
>>
>>35064200
What do you actually want to do, though? You need to get in touch with your drive and curiosity. Isn't there anything that makes you excited and motivated?
>>
File: 1319295577085.jpg (29KB, 273x260px) Image search: [Google]
1319295577085.jpg
29KB, 273x260px
>>35064200
>degree in communication
>falling for the college meme

Have you not listened to anyone besides your college advisors who tell you a degree will get you everything, and fellow students who are convinced of the same myth? Did you do no research? How did you think this was going to work out, exactly?

Now you have to go to school again to find some training that will actually get you a job, and you'll have 6 years of student loans to pay off instead of just 4. If you would've gone to trade school right off the starting line, you'd have 4 years of experience by now with 0 debt. You could be making 25/hr by now, or more. Now you're going to graduate with a masters, have 0 work experience in your mid 20s, and be laden with debt to the point that it will take you YEARS to break even and be on the same level as the blue collar worker starting out at age 18. You could be in your 30s by the time you're financially equal to an 18 year old.

Have you considered suicide yet, friend?
>>
>>35064835
Most non-STEM majors end up working in a typical bland office job environment. Pretty depressing really.
>>
>>35065079
>>35064867
>>35064835
I went into college undecided and had no ambition or interest in anything, but I was REQUIRED to declare a major. After about 5 months of meeting with an undecided counselor I settled on Communciation because I was told I'd be barred from attending next semester if I didn't declare a major. I really didn't have any interest in any of the majors, I just picked something that I thought would be simple. You're not allowed to just attend college for 4 years without declaring a major, I mean you have to pick something and so I did. I'm not good in Math or anything like that so I stayed away from STEM majors, and I'm not an artistic person either so I stayed away from music/art. Eventually it boiled down to picking some kind of liberal arts major and I just settled on Communication because I do talk a lot and I figured it'd be interesting.

Frankly I never expected to get work related to my degree, but I thought that having a college degree in general would be good enough for some employers, regardless of what I majored in. I guess that isn't the case.

>>35064920
That's the sad part, I don't know. Like I'm not sure how someone can not know what gets them excited and motivated, but I just don't. As I said I have no drive or ambition in life, it's really depressing. I like playing video games, and watching anime that's about it. I kind of have a strong interest in Japanese culture but that's a real fucking weeaboo stereotype but it's the truth.

I always wanted to kind of study Japan, learn Japanese or just study it's culture but you can't make fucking money off that shit. I mean what would you major in? History? Or find some college that gives a degree in what? Japanese studies? I don't know any colleges that offer such a thing. And going overseas for study aboard is FUCKING EXPENSIVE so that's out of the question.
>>
>>35065082
Most STEM majors end up in that exact same office environment too, retard
>>
>>35065298

Actually, I was just busting your balls. My buddy was a communications major and now has a cushy HR job at BoA. If you can speak well and people like you, you'll do fine. Bonus points if your parents have some connections.
>>
>>35065079
Yeah you're right, I feel for the whole "A college degree is good enough and will get you a job." I admit that's my fault, as for a trade, I mean what are popular trades? Fucking welding? My mother considers welding to be a blue-collar nigger job, I don't think there are any white-collar trade jobs. And I have no interest in welding or shit like that, seems like when people say "Get a trade" they're talking about fucking learning to be a welder and that's it.
>>
>>35065298
Maybe look into Americorps or something equivalent? I have a friend that ended up teaching English in Cambodia. I know it's not Japan but it would be exciting.
>>
>>35065338
Yeah but they make way more so it's not as soul crushing.
>>
>>35065298
>Japan, learn Japanese or just study it's culture but you can't make fucking money off that shit
With a degree in communications had you of got a minor in japanese language you could've got a decent government job as a translator or something. But since you don't want to go back to uni and you already have a degree consider looking into the JET program or some of the others you'll get to go to japan as an assistant language teacher and you'll get paid.
>>
>>35065344
Well we have no connections at all ,and I live in a small hick town with no white collar jobs. I can't get a job in HR because I have no HR experience, and I never did bother with internships. You can't get internships in my small hick town either, but everyone wants 5-6 years of experience. There are no entry level jobs, and even then they want experience.

>>35065364
>Just go teach English meme

I'm skeptical about shit like this, I've heard too many rumors and what not. I mean is it that simple? You just sign up to go teach English in another country and they just magically pay for everything? They put you on a plane all expenses paid and you just start working? I'm pretty sure I read you have to get some kind of certification to teach English as well.
>>
>>35065349
There's electrician or plumber but yeah, I know what you mean.
>>
>>35065405
I mean I can go back to school I guess, but I didn't think you could major in Japanese language unless you go to a graduate school that offers such a thing which none in my area do.

>>35065415
Those are niggers jobs, and my mother thinks so as well. She would never consider a college graduate working as a plumber or electrician.
>>
>>35065410
>and they just magically pay for everything?
Depends on the program, the point is you pay for it with the salary they give you but they set you up with a place to live that you can afford with whatever they're paying you. What varys is how much support and help you'll get jet is well respected and ran through the government and will help you if you run into any problems, whereas non government programs get you set up somewhere then you're on your own
>>
>>35065410

Well, I think the answer lies in your post. You mentioned your 'hick town' several times with some obvious disdain. You should be looking at jobs on the national scale and ready to move once you find one. Start saving money so that you can afford a couple months rent when you eventually find something. It might sound risky, but i don't think it's any riskier than investing money in what could be ultimately a useless masters degree
>>
>>35065410
Yeah you do have to be certified in some way but not necessarily a teaching degree. Might be worth looking into though.
>>
>>35065387
Try it out. A nice neat pile of $62,000 a year doesn't feel good when you are subjected to the inhumane monotony of the office work environment for 45 hours a week plus commute, when all the while your work is accruing $650,000 a month for Mister Jewberg who answers emails a couple minutes a day and flies all over the world to have fancy meals with clients on a yacht.

Oh and $62,000 will be your salary after 5 years, your starting salary will be 48,000 minus health insurance and all that
>>
>>35065298
>I always wanted to kind of study Japan, learn Japanese or just study it's culture but you can't make fucking money off that shit.

Ridiculous, off course you can make money off Japanese. Just off the top of my head:

>translation
>interpreting
>working for japanese companies
>working for international companies with business in japan
>teaching english to japanese people
>teaching japanese to non-japanese people

Those are just conventional ideas, and people are making money doing stuff like that right now.
>>
>>35065488
Good advice. Sounds like you need to look into moving to a larger city, OP. Understandably this is daunting since you say you have no real friends or connections.
>>
>>35065298
>>35064200
Teach English overseas. A Comm degree will pair really well with TEFL/TESOL/CELTA certification in the eyes of employers.

You should be able to save 800-1000 a month.
>>
>>35065520
Translation is disappearing as computers get better at it. Teaching jobs are over-saturated and low-paying, because every fucking millennial wants 'muh world travel'

And working for Japanese or other international companies would require skills like any other job, plus Japanese language knowledge
>>
>>35065477
It really doesn't matter, I just looked up the JET program and it sounds really interesting but they only accept applications during October so that means the next application acceptance won't be until October of 2017.

I kind of need to find something in the next month or two if possible, I can't wait until October.
>>
>>35065583
>don't want to work in the only thing you're interested in
>think trades are for niggers
>finds a problem with every suggestion
You're fucked enjoy withering away in your hick town
>>
>>35065629
Can't you get a bank job or something in the meantime You'd at least be making $15 an hour or so and it's white collar.
>>
>>35065521
Yeah, exactly. It's hard to just say "Oh I think I'll move to a large metropolis area!" That shit takes money first off, which I don't really have. And I don't have connections or friends so moving to a new city with no job, no friends, and no connections is kind of a retard idea. I don't know how people manage it, like some people move to large cities but they have no job or connections, just seems stupid.
>>
>>35065659
I'm not OP. I'm a random engineer spewing pessimism wherever possible in this thread
>>
>>35065659
That wasn't me, I'm the OP and that was just some random anon answering your question but he does have a point. I mean, he's being realistic and not overly optimistic. I agree with most of what he said, it's not as easy as you're making it sound.
>>
>>35065629
The COL in japan means you wont be able to save much.

You should look into Korea , taiwan, or even Vietnam. You're going to nee a teaching cert though.
>>
>>35065518
Wait a minute. I thought all engineers on /r9k/ started out at six figures with a bachelors degree. Who would lie on the internet like that?
>>
>>35065678
My mother works as a teller and makes like $10 an hour, I don't know in what world where a banker makes $15 an hour. Also that's not a "white-collar" job, my mom works with uneducated niggers and redneck women also she tells me it's a shit job.

I'm not even sure I could get a job at a bank, I have no experience in banking. I could probably be a teller like my mom, but that's it. And they don't pay very good money, also as I said she hates it with a passion. She's been working as a teller for like 7 years.
>>
>>35065349
You don't have to be a tradesman, even though they are the safest career choices. A 'trade' does not have to mean a traditional labor trade. I.T. is a trade. Massage is a trade. Mobile fucking dog washing can be a trade. My brother is 30 years old, a massage therapist, charges 50/hr for private sessions, and I have no clue about what he makes at the resort he works at in the summers. That's not even including happy endings (assuming he does them, but he doesn't really seem the type, even though he's a literal fag), which I hear can get you like 150 dollar tips. He did like 3 months of massage school and a few years of building a client base for that.

You wouldn't call yourself a tradesman with those jobs, but it's a skill you learn and work on that, with increasing experience and clientele, will get you a more and more comfortable lifestyle.
>>
File: 1485762029079.png (347KB, 600x955px) Image search: [Google]
1485762029079.png
347KB, 600x955px
>>35065724
Those uneducated niggers are apparently making more than you though. It sounds like you just made this thread to complain without looking for any real suggestions.
>>
>>35065715
You are right to trust most of what you read on the internet, my boy, but unfortunately being an engineer is surprisingly mediocre, much like any other office job. Freelance engineer work might be decent, but the traditional role of being an engineer for a company sucks profoundly
>>
>>35064200
What's your part-time job now? If I were you I'd try to get multiple part-time jobs and just save up as much as possible while sending out resumes.
>>
>>35065583
You can make money with any qualifications, shit you can make money by sucking dick or selling drugs. It's not about the money, it's about doing something you enjoy. There are people with communications degrees with great jobs, OP just doesn't have a life because he's not doing something he likes with his life.
>>
I'm extremely embarrassed that I can't even pass this easy Algebra math test for this one trade union. I'm a fucking retarded brainlet.
>>
>>35065682

>That shit takes money
You're going to have to save some - pretty sure I specified that in my post.

>I don't have connections or friends
You're going to have to make some.

>just seems stupid.

That's life, man. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You want to be a wealthy big shot with a cool job, well, you're going to have to step outside of your comfort zone and take some calculated risks. No one is going to hand it to you - life isn't fair etc etc
>>
>>35065790
Kek. Just joking around. I'm actually a service coordinator so I schedule the planned maintenance and shit for our engineers. The field guys seem to mostly enjoy it but the office dwellers always look bored as hell just like the rest of us.
>>
>>35065812
Don't worry. I passed college at one of the top 10 engineering universities in the U.S. and I feel like a fucking idiot for it
>>
>>35065765
>Those uneducated niggers are apparently making more than you though.

I know, and it's bullshit. How can uneducated trash be making more than someone with a college degree? These people have high school degrees and can get jobs making decent money, and yet I can't? It's like the whole world is upside down.
>>
>>35065903
Don't feel bad anon. You might not be doing too well, but the college is making a killing :^)
>>
>>35065800
I work at a Restore, it's kind of like Goodwill basically and I only work 20-23 hours a week and make $8 an hour. But I was considering working two part time jobs, even though I really didn't want to do that.

I mean if that's my only option until I find full time work then so be it, I mean at last I'd be working 40 hours a week and getting more money.
>>
>>35065929
Fuck you...

Originalsdfsafsafsafsaf
>>
There is work to be done in many places...Lots of things need doing...The retarded thing is many interesting things are propped up by grants and soft money so it's hard to find those jobs...
>>
>>35065938
Consider working your way into serving or bartending. Not the most glamorous work but you get cash tips every night.
>>
>>35065724
>as a straight white male you're not allowed to get a job without getting in debt to the Jew
>even if you don't they'll take it out of your wages anyway and give it to women and minorities
Just burn it all
>>
>>35065903
On the off chance this isn't a troll thread at this point. You're literally worse than those niggers op, you have a degree and plenty people have given you suggestions on what to do but you've turned them down over looking for the perfect career when you don't even know what you want. Enjoy knowing you'll never leave your hick town while those niggers prosper.
>>
>>35065971
Holy shit, that's the answer. Start a college, dude. A communications degree might not be good for much, but it's just fucking peachy for a college president. It's so obvious. You fell for the college meme, you're stuck in a rut. So scam your way out with a good old fashioned "higher education" institution and bring your sad story full circle
>>
>>35066015
I'm being realistic, personally maybe you're just being overly optimistic. I mean how feasible is ANY of the shit you people have suggested?
>>
>>35066069
Literally all of it is feasible for someone who's smarter than an uneducated nigger which apparently isn't you
>>
>>35066069
The teaching abroad stuff is feasible but you will need to motivate yourself to get there. Trust me, I know how you feel. Try exercising more because it will help clear that brain fog a bit.
>>
ill throw in my two cents since you seem so down in the dumps.

You're parents obviously failed to actually teach you how to navigate the world, how difficult the real world is, and a sense of work ethic. Same here. My dad is a disgraceful pussy and my mom is a worthless, narcissistic whore. I grew up upper-middle class and was handed money for doing nothing my whole life.

I wasted college getting drunk and fucking disease-ridden whores. I majored in Polisci, didn't get any internships, no connections, jack shit, just like you. You just fucked up.

I swallowed my pride and ego and just got an overnight stocking job. Came in every night and checked out mentally. I worked with a bunch of felonious, uneducated niggers (12/hr part time).

Then, I got a job as a merchandiser making 16/hr full time. Same kind of depressing retail cuckery, but a step up. The job gets cut in six months, but I'm going to figure out RIGHT NOW how to use the references and work experience to become a sales rep and/or move up the supply chain.

I'm pondering learning programming, but I've always hated math and technology intensely. I'm an idea guy :^) yea.

Drop the idealism and just accept you fucked up. You're mom is a also a delusional dumbass. Getting a masters seals your fate as a debt ridden chump until you die.
>>
>>35066217
Nailed it. I'd be willing to bet this describes a large number of people on this board. Grew up wanting for nothing and thus had zero ambition and just drifted through college. Most of us probably had a vague notion of going into a creative field or something.
>>
>>35065298
You were REQUIRED to pick a major because you went into college. You're making it sound like your college forced you. Deciding a major is part of going to college. If you didn't want to pick one yet, you could have just not went into college straight away.
>>
>>35066217
>Getting a masters seals your fate as a debt ridden chump until you die.

I told her this already and she just fucking literally says "You can just keep paying it off until you're like 60, the government does care how long it takes you to pay it off. It's not like you have to pay it off right away."

>>35066299
I kind of blame my parents for that, they sort of pushed me into going to college when I didn't know what I wanted to do but frankly I like to think having a college degree is better than not having one.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.