[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't you guys become plumbers or electritions? >decent

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 9

Why don't you guys become plumbers or electritions?
>decent income
>won't break your back like other manual labor jobs
>don't have to work in a cramped office
>>
Too snobbish. Sorry.
>>
>>35063236
Top stupid, not good with hardware/handiwork.
>>
>>35063236
>implying anyone on 4chan is or would become a skilled tradesman
>>
>>35063236

>Can't even spell electrician

Also, those are two of the most oversaturated blue collar trades in my area. Wouldn't be surprised if it's like that elsewhere.
>>
>>35063273
This. I don't think I could learn how to do anything beyond the basics.
>>
But I am an electrician, anon.
>>
>won't break your back
top kek brah
>no cramped office
yeah try a hot as fuck build site or squeezing into tight places

t.pipe fitter
>>
>>35063236
>decent income
These careers don't have a monpology on this
Wrong
Yeah just other cramped areas where you have to deal with the elements and dangerous items
>>
>>35063236

can i go to the mushroom kingdom?
>>
>>35063351
I would let you fit my pipe if you know what I mean
>>
>>35063351
All the fitters I've worked around have been bros, what kinda job are you working on?
>>
>>35063236
I can manspread as wide as my legs will let me and take off my shoes and drink all the coffee I want in my office. Why would I give that up?
>>
Already working to become a nurse, famalam.
>>
>>35063236
>plumber
>I literally clean peoples shit for a living!
>>
>>35063236
wouldn't wanna deal with the shithead customers
>>
My grandpa used to be an electrician before he had a stroke... I never thought much about it but a few years ago I wondered what would have happened if I went down that path
I hear otherwise
>>
>>35063236
>plumbing
>won't break your back

Choose 1

Plumbing is one of the most painstaking labor jobs there is, constantly squeezing into tight places manuervering your back, twisting your neck

t.plumber for 2 years
>>
>>35063258
Thread should have stopped here. This is the actual answer.

People like to make a big deal about how trades and similar income level jobs are respectable but lowkey do not consider them valid career paths. Everyone thinks they deserve something better.
>>
My mother always told me that plumbers make tons of money because "When it's 3 AM and the toilet's broken people will pay anything."
>>
>>35063290
Same in my area, but I'll also add HVAC

>>35063236

You're joking right?
>>
File: 1427679087786.jpg (76KB, 584x790px) Image search: [Google]
1427679087786.jpg
76KB, 584x790px
>>35063236
My whole life, I only got excited looking at hot women on TV and stuff. Recently, looking at any woman just fills me with an abyssal dread and a sort of crippled desire. Fit women get me like this in the worst way. Anybody else feel like this?
>>
Electrician here ask me anything
>>
>>35066171

Do you have an inferiority complex man? What do you define as dread?
>>
because those things both entail risk of playing in somebody elses shit or getting fried respectively

do IT instead
>good pay
>in demand
>not back breaking
>can work in office or dispatchable
>other IT guys won't expect you to know everything
>no shame in googling the shit you don't know
>>
File: wasp-3.jpg (11KB, 400x354px) Image search: [Google]
wasp-3.jpg
11KB, 400x354px
>Open panel
>Wasps
>Climb under house
>Wasps
>Enter basement
>Wasps
>Enter attic
>Wasps
>Enter shed
>Wasps
>Lift a board
>Wasps
Trades are great until you realize the average person does nothing about the wasps plaguing their property. They even encourage them by keeping their windows down because they're too cheap for air conditioning.
>>
>>35066223
I guess knowing that there are 3 billion women out there and not one would accept me, but they would conditionally accept any other man, is slowly making me lose my frame of reference with humanity.
>>
>>35066229

Where do I go after getting my A+ certification?

I really hate the idea of being in a busy office walking people through problems over the phone. How do I get a cozy job working with servers and the like?
>>
>>35066401
You should probably get Server+ certified if you really want to land that job.
>>
>>35066254

>Open toilet
>Poo in loo
>>
Not enough bum cleavage.
>>
>>35064001
yep. and make $30-$50 an hour doing it. I work with an ex-plumber. you know what a backed up sewer pipe smells like, to him? Money.
>>
>>35063236
Because im already a mechanic

And professional singer

Havent had sex to completion in over a year.
>>
>need to deal with snotty homeowners or coworker boomers and chads all the time
>breaking your back cleaning up shit or dealing with dangerous electric wires
mm no thanks i'll stick with cozy programming
>>
File: 442992.png (64KB, 646x624px) Image search: [Google]
442992.png
64KB, 646x624px
>>35063236
Because I plan on becoming a truck driver.

I don't like working directly with people and the thought of accidentally killing a family of four in a big rig helps me sleep at night.
>>
>>35067226
Me too, anon, are you planning on working for a trucking company or being owner-operator?
>>
>>35067226

Just a fair warning from an IT guy, it's not like you've seen in older movies where they're a free-ranging brotherhood, always rescuing strangers, making friends, and learning about American legends.

There's GPS trackers in the trucks and many companies now have cameras in the cabs. There's little respect either. People just don't want you around. If you Google around you can find an article from a couple years back where a driver was murdered because he had to park/sleep in an abandoned lot since the store he was supposed to deliver to didn't want the guys sleeping out back after/before store hours.
>>
File: 1437376575676.jpg (25KB, 394x458px) Image search: [Google]
1437376575676.jpg
25KB, 394x458px
>mfw becoming a plumber
India is going to be in dire need of them when they become a superpower. I'm going to be rolling in rupees.
>>
>>35067226
Enjoy technology eating your job in a decade or so. Road trains of mostly self driving trucks will probably take over soon.
>>
>>35066601
>Open loo
>Shrine to Vishnu with wasp nest offerings
>Open attic door
>Poo to the rafters

IT GOES IN THE LOO
>>
>>35067336
I want to start out working for a company and then becoming an owner-operator in the future. I like the idea of having my own truck, but I wouldn't have anywhere to park it until I move.

>>35067484
I have never in my life worked a job that didn't involve the risk of death or serious injury.

>>35067529
The self driving trucks in development are not fully autonomous.
>>
I'm too scared of dying to a single mistake to touch electronics
also don't want to smell like shit
>>
>>35063236

Because people are retarded anon and we live in a society that looks down on trade jobs/idolises college.

People shit on trades or think it's beneath them when they don't look at the actual positives. It's easy as fuck to get a trades degree/cert, it's cheap as fuck, you will literally be able to get a job anywhere, it will always be useful even if you don't work in that field anymore. I wish my parents would of pushed me towards some sort of trade degree coming out of school. Could of earned some actual money, life skills, and had some time to actually think of what I wanted to go to college for. Western societies college fetishism really needs to stop.
>>
>>35065254
>>35064001
Go industrial or new installation on construction sites.
Industrial can easily earn six figures and can come with great benefits like live out allowence or free accommodation/food, fly in fly out, union pension, etc.
>>
>>35067529
You still need to back into the bay and unload
>>
>>35067591
Yeah, same here, although I'm not sure how I would eventually be able to afford my own truck or how long it would take to save up for one.
>>
too socially anxious, can barely make it in office jobs where my contact with people is limited. have no manual dexterity, shit with my hands. already spent too much time in school and i'm not going back
>>
a lot of those low skill/blue collar jobs will be automated fairly soon
>>
>>35067998

Considering fast food worker is going to be the first to go I'd be worried if I were you, anon.
>>
>>35066229
How do i skip the shit helpdesk stuff?
>>
>>35068024
very rude of you
>>
>>35067998
You can only automate jobs that are repetitive and require no executive decision making.
>>
>>35067901
Not only that but self driving trucks cannot handle city traffic, construction zones, detours, four-way stops, etc.

The only thing it's capable of is auto piloting on the highway like an advanced form of cruise control.
>>
just doing minor diy plumbing in my old shitty house made me absolutely despise plumbing

what is being an electrician like? does it suck a bit less?

also I am terrified of old houses that violate every building code in the book now
>>
>>35068175
maybe at first
>>
>>35068305
I can tell that you've never worked on a construction site before if you think that it would be possible to automate a tradesman's job.
>>
>>35063236
Would if I could but I'm bad with everything.
>>
>>35068275
Well I don't know how much it sucks being a plumber but being an electrician is no cakewalk, being in a roof crawlspace sweating through every pore in your body while choking on insulation that makes your lungs itch is no fun at all, not to mention all the other absolutely fucked jobs you come across, I guess it depends on what area you enter.
>>
>>35063236
I want to but scared I won't pass the math portion of the test....
>>
>>35066178
I currently have a bulged disc. I'm letting it heal in physical therapy can I become a electrician once it heals
>>
>>35063236
I'm becoming a drafty, so close enough.
>>
>>35063236
Everyone mentions the "tradesmen are semi-millionaires" meme, but every time I see a tradesman in real life, they're always wearing poor people clothing and ratty baseball caps. I want to escape the Lower Class life, not embrace it.

Plus, I've actually applied for an apprenticeship to be an electrician, so I drove down to his house, and it was the dirtiest, most cluttered place in a poor neighborhood, dim lighting, litter everywhere, three old cheap cars and a dilapidated garage.

Besides, I've been fired from jobs for being too "slow," before. I don't think my professional reputation would survive if I was known as the guy who took longer than most people to do anything.
>>
File: 1487208321113.jpg (481KB, 913x788px) Image search: [Google]
1487208321113.jpg
481KB, 913x788px
>>35066287
you're fucking me up man
>>
How do I get into trade anyway?
>>
I would, but Im a fucking retard at math
>>
>>35069636
That's because the trades are a meme here.

If you're independent work is rarely steady and you're always competing with larger companies and other independent contractors.

If you work for a larger company as a plumber, electrician, etc you're not going to get paid all that well.

Plus it takes its toll on your body.
>>
>>35067998
Doubtful. You will need plumbers and electricians for a long time still due to lack of standards for housing arrangements. A human can adapt to these varying conditions easier than a robot.

Office jobs are at a bigger risk, as they're more fictional and less systemic. An algorithm can churn out decent writing, music or paintings. Statisticians will be obsolete pretty soon. Any data entry job can be done by a computer - 1000 data entry jobs can be done by a computer better than 1000 humans. Programming jobs? Most of them will get the axe, as better programmers automate lower enf tasks.

If you don't learn something to do with your two hands that require adaptibility, you better know how to market yourself.
>>
I have a good high paying professional job and it honestly makes me feel worst about my >no gf feels.

I worked so hard to get this far, only for it to be entirely useless. I don't use any of my money. Don't need to. Don't see the point. I'm not a consumerist retard. The only point of having more money is to provide for your kids, which I will never have.

Meanwhile, there's some Chad who is plastering walls all day, didn't even graduate HS, and he already has a hot wife and kids at 24.***

What was the point of killing myself with work? What a fucking joke of life.

*** Prime example: my lawyer, smart blond bombshell, married to a complete dumbfuck.
>>
Not a working class man, but the booming industries are in alternative energy.

Learn how to install solar panels and you're set. You can even setup shop for yourself once you get enough experience. Solar panels will eventually become routine appliance in every household just like aircon....
>>
>>35063236
Enjoy working like 10-20 hours more than you get paid for.

This is the worst part about trade jobs, everything is about productivity and how much time you take to do your job. Sure the base hourly rate is okay-ish but then I look at the time doing shit that is unpaid for and you pretty much end up worse off than working at McDs.
>>
>>35064001
He's a plumber not a janitor retard
>>
>>35063236
because americans are dumb and funnel their workforce into food service or corporate office jobs
>>
>>35063236
i want to fuck her abs if thats possible
does this make me a gay
>>
>>35063236
I own my own business at 24 and make plenty from it.
>>
>>35071625

Certainly possible. You side at her side while she holds an ab crunch pose and you fuck the abdominal spaces much like you would a tit job.

I don't think it makes you gay, female abs are one of god's most heavenly creations and deserve many cum tributes and goat sacrifices.
>>
>>35068179
Give it 6 more years and all that will be accomplished maybe not widespread or anything but entirely possible.
>>
>>35071650

What business?

Also, why are you here?
>>
>>35063236
My dad is a plumber and an electrician (properly qualified but he rarely does only electrical jobs) and it definitely isn't a robot job, he spends the majority of his time talking to people all day every day. Also back before he became an old man he used to have to do shit load of heavy lifting and fairly tiring manual labour.

He is self employed though so unless he's working he's usually at home chilling watching movies, which is quite good.
>>
File: The feels of athenry.jpg (191KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
The feels of athenry.jpg
191KB, 576x432px
>>35063236
That's what I'm trying to do and I still can't get anyone to hire me as an apprentice. Why do so many employers want you to have a driving license? Why would they care so long as I can get to and from work.

>see advertisement for apprenticeship for school leavers
>tfw out of school 2 years and still no apprenticeship
>>
>>35063236
I have tiny weak hands and poor coordination
>>
>>35067998
IT jobs are more likely to get fully automated than blue collar jobs
>>
>go into other peoples houses
>talk to them
>fix their shit
This is my worst nightmare
>>
>>35068179
also inftastructure is required
also weather that isn't perfect makes those automated trucks useless
it will be "automated" but will require a person inside of it for a long time
>>35067529
>road trains
and trains still require a person in the driving seat
but yes it will be possible, in like 20-30 years and by that time much more will change, the world will be a completely different place
>>
>>35072045
>Why do so many employers want you to have a driving license?

Because you need to get to customer homes / businesses too, dumbo.
>>
>>35071395
maybe if you weren't so salty and judgemental, it leaves it's mark on your everyday face, people don't like arrogance
not saying that I don't understand your frustration
>>
File: 2099223006.jpg (41KB, 500x294px) Image search: [Google]
2099223006.jpg
41KB, 500x294px
>"""electricion"""
>won't have to break your back
>>
>>35063258
>>35066132
It's not so much that I look down on those jobs, it's more that I want to get out of Working Class Hell. I mean, I only make $10 an hour, but someday I want to move on to do something fun that pays enough.

Becoming a tradesman seems like a meme, honestly. I have no ambition to go back to college and am scared of the commitment in joining the military, but I don't feel like doing a trade would be any better.

Plus, I have legit diagnosed Autism, not meme Autism. Which makes me a slow worker, which means I'll either get shit from my boss or I'll get a reputation for being the "slow-ass plumber who takes all day for a simple job," which will make me unemployable.

Gonna stick with being a security guard, for now.
>>
>>35063236
I thought about it, but I like mechanical engineering so I am going to keep pursuing it. Gonna work and save for a couple of years, then I'll go back with loans and savings (plus work) to finish my degree. Ideally I'd like to also get my scuba certs and become an underwater welder, inspector and engineer since they make bank and it's less time in an office.

Skilled labor jobs are great, but don't think you won't work your ass off doing them or that it won't break your back. Plumbers and electricians do work very hard, and often put in long as fuck hours and go through lean times so it's not a panacea. Plus trade school is still expensive, even if it's not as much as university.

And be wary of welding. Unless you're using top of the line PPE gear at all times, the heavy and toxic metal fumes will at best give you brain damage, dementia, and altzimers (no idea how to spell that), and at worst will kill you. Plus the traveling blows and it's a very hurry up and wait type gig, with months of 14 hour days followed by zero work at all.
>>
>>35072561
>tfw working class peon
>tfw making ~$30 an hour doing mildly strenous work
>tfw own your own condo in an attractive neighbourhood but you're still working a low status job so people think you're Poor
>tfw no one to hold at night
>>
>>35063258
thing is, a lot of people have respect for people who work a proper job, it is attractive to women too as it's more of a traditional masculine trait
I used to have your view, but then I grew up a little
>>
>>35067591
>The self driving trucks in development are not fully autonomous.

You're a fucking moron
>>
>>35067618
This is how I feel. Anything electric/pressurized makes me horribly anxious.
>>
im afraid of automation

i will try to become a doctor or smth that can't be replaced
>>
I am a mechanic for gas supply lines. It's somewhat comfy, but very boring work. Got a degree as a state-certified tech engineer for HVAC, but my company refused to hire me. Now I am using the money I'm making to fund a bachelor's in business and energy engineering.
>>
>>35074869
By your style of writing I'm certain you will not be a doctor. You know what will be in high demand in the coming years? Morticians.
>>
>>35074966
lol okay

english isn't even my first language
>>
>>35063236
i'm a fidgety autist but have never been that good with my hands
>>
>>35074966
>>35074977
and I do have top grades in english class so I think my english is fine, i don't see why i should bother typing proper english on 4chan
>>
>>35063236
What's written on her arm? Property of Muhammad?
>>
>>35075003
>i don't see why i should bother typing proper english on 4chan
It's this 'who cares if it's the internet' attitude that is leading to the downfall of the common people. We act, talk and write like morons because we do so at most occasions. Thanks for being part of the problem, Mr. Scared of Robots.
>>
>>35063236
My friend is a electrician for local 11 and his hours sounded miserable to me. Graveyards, 5 10's and 2 12's almost every week. That's a fucking wageslave right there if I'd ever seen one. He does intend to become a general foreman or superintendent though. I went with becoming a meat cutter instead and eventually went corporate, pretty satisfied
>>
>>35075041
if you say so, I don't think wasting our time on /r9k/ is doing much for either of us anyway
>>
It really depends on where you live. In Alberta tradesmen make absolute bank.
>>
>>35075098
I still have some principles, even on this hellhole of a board.
>>
girl looks like Korra
>>
i was a pipefitter plumber trust me i thought itd be easier or better thatn office shit it is kinda but def back breaking u stupid FUCKING KEK BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.