[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>when that libertarian friend of yours you, for whatever reason,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: youwotmate.jpg (111KB, 605x605px) Image search: [Google]
youwotmate.jpg
111KB, 605x605px
>when that libertarian friend of yours you, for whatever reason, still have on facebook, who always posts rants about socialized healthcare, free university, minimum wage, welfare, workers' rights, how people in poverty deserve their shortcomings for not 'working hard enough,' wants government benefits for the disabled and elderly taken away, etc. posts a gofundme page pleading for donations to cover his medical expenses and student debt
>>
>>34992474

What's the problem? Seeking assistance from other people is not the same as having the government provide to you at the expense of others.
>>
>>34993304
alas, if only they could understand this
>>
>>34993334
If only you could understand this
>>
File: rudd.gif (1MB, 300x252px) Image search: [Google]
rudd.gif
1MB, 300x252px
>>34993357
you sure showed me m80 nice post
>>
>>34993304

Because it's a matter of principle. It's an about-face from the rugged individualism that defines libertarians. If he were an uncompromising believer in his own ideology he'd conclude he doesn't deserve help because he failed to make or save enough money to cover his own medical expenses, and he shouldn't expect others to cover his stupid debt decisions.

He didn't work hard enough.
>>
File: Meme_stirner.jpg (10KB, 200x237px) Image search: [Google]
Meme_stirner.jpg
10KB, 200x237px
>when he says he's a libertarian but he's really just a crypto-bootlicker
>>
>>34993304
1). double standard
2). still hypocritical
3). disregarding the first two, it's still so ironic to see a randroid ask for assistance and donations it's painful
>>
>>34993529
He's not a real libertarian. If he was, he wouldn't believe in debt financing, as it literally takes away your freedom
>>
>>34993529

Libertarianism is a rather broad spectrum. There are definitely people like you describe, but it's not necessarily hypocritical. I think most libertarians are focused on reducing the presence of government, not what you're describing.
>>
>>34992474
Voluntary assistance is not the same as mandatory, law-enforced, coercive wealth redistribution

poor effort/10
>>
>>34993529
ayn rand variety fanatics are the only people that want to exterminate the poor.

minimalistic approaches to economics from which modern libertarianism draws upon is essential to understanding why the american dream vanished so quickly
>>
>>34993579

>double standard

How so? Like I said in an earlier post, voluntary donations from one citizen to another are completely different than a government taking involuntarily from one citizen and distributing it others.

>still hypocritical

If he's an extremist libertarian (read: anarcho-capitalist) then yes, but most people who label themselves as libertarians don't share those views.

>disregarding the first two, it's still so ironic to see a randroid ask for assistance and donations it's painful

Again, I think you misunderstand what libertariansm is and what it is not
>>
>>34993612
It does describe not only most libertarians, but the general mantra and philosophy of libertarianism. However, that's American Libertarianism we're talking. Which is more Randian and Objectivist than libertarianism found elsewhere.
>>
>>34993617
there is literally nothing wrong with coerced wealth redistribution.
>>
>>34993559
>>34993609
>>34993663
>>34993668
i swear, libertarians commit the most no true scotsman fallacies out anyone else on the internet political sphere.
>>
>>34993701

Justify your claim. Why should other people be entitled to the fruits of my labor?
>>
>>34993701
I'm just playing devil's advocate don't mind me
>>
>year of our lord 2017
>still arguing lolbertarians

though tbqfh I so prefer them over the Trump fascists
>>
>>34993760
If we're going to be serious, it's because welfare and largesse to those currently incapable of helping themselves is a human right.
>>
>>34993760
when the fruits of your "labor" are picked by a thousand slaves, you barely deserve three meals a day
>>
>>34993739
then stop making strawmen

i'm >>34993663 and an authoritarian. there is just clear baiting and strawmanning in this thread
>>
>>34993814

>welfare and largesse to those currently incapable of helping themselves is a human right.

Is it? I mean, I agree that it is nice to have in a civilized society, but is every person on Earth really *entitled* to it? If you want to get down to it, no one is truly entitled to anything. They only have the things that they take.
>>
>>34993760
Purely because I want it
>>
>>34993882

Okay, and I purely don't want you to have what I have earned for myself. How does this situation ultimately get resolved?
>>
>>34993760

Because society falls apart, otherwise.

I mean, you're not paying a tax so that other people get something for free. You're paying that tax so that society keeps functioning.
>>
>>34993868
>but is every person on Earth really *entitled* to it?
Yeah, they are. Everyone is entitled to whatever means help them comfortably live and survive. If someone is shown to be incapable of doing that, even if temporarily, then they're entitled to a bailout or benefit to help get them out of that mess.

>If you want to get down to it, no one is truly entitled to anything.
You're entitled to not being raped. You're entitled to not being murdered. You're not entitled to not being a victim of a grievous crime. You're entitled to free speech. You're entitled to personal freedoms that don't encroach on the freedoms of others. You're entitled to fair and relative treatment bestowed upon you. You're entitled to personal safety. And so on.
>>
>>34993921

Simple. You don't get to benefit from the positive externalities of taxes, if you don't want to pay taxes.

Go live in the woods on your own and see what the "fruits of your labor" really amount to.
>>
>>34993999

>Everyone is entitled to whatever means help them comfortably live and survive.

What if they do nothing of their own accord to achieve this? Do they still deserve it? Should we give money to welfare queens to exist merely because they were born?
>>
>>34994179
>What if they do nothing of their own accord to achieve this?
1). That's a typical libertarian approach that makes the bloke in OP's post hypocritical.
2). There's an assload of reasons for that. Like disabilities. No real means of achieving their goals (something not everyone has). Aging and it's obstacles. Poverty. Social and cultural encroachment. Expectations that are impractical at best, and unrealistic at worst. Etc.

>Do they still deserve it?
Everyone deserves to survive and do it in a way that's comfortable for them. If we're talking privileges like an upper-class salary or leadership position, that's something you earn. But basic privileges like being able to keep you and your family fed, safe, and able is a human and universal right.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.