[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Programmers of /r9k/, where do you start? I tried programming

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

File: cplusplus.jpg (36KB, 433x455px) Image search: [Google]
cplusplus.jpg
36KB, 433x455px
Programmers of /r9k/, where do you start? I tried programming once maybe around a year ago and I remember not liking it very much. I've been thinking of giving it another try, but I don't even know where to start. I don't even know what kind of programs I'd make. What do you guys make when you're programming? Where should I start?
>>
>>34916606
I bump your thread because I'm in the same case; I need answer too.
>>
>>34916606
Similar problem
Learning C in school but its shit, would like to do it myself and another language but I have no idea what to do
>>
Python is easy for beginners, try the Automate the Boring Stuff with Python book.
t. CS graduate
>>
>>34916606
I started with Python, and I just played around with some small projects that were somewhat related to my degree. For example the very first thing I made was a simple root solver and then branched out from there.

Since then I've learnt, C and Fortran.
>>
>>34916665
>>34916674
Not OP, but my friend's a CS major and he recommended starting with C++ first because then I could understand the other languages easier.

Would Python really be a better starting point to start for CS?
>>
>>34916703
I think it's just differing philosophies, I prefer to be able to play around and tinker with languages so starting high level and moving onto something lower level was a good choice for me.

Others prefer to start lower level since it requires you to get to grips with the nitty gritty of languages. I don't really think one philosophy is better than the other, but they both have their advantages.
>>
>>34916606
> tfw no programmer girls at job
> tfw r9k is full of programmers
Now that explains everything
>>
>>34916606
College. Intro to programming led to a lot more specialized courses. It started with java and sql, but it's heavily been based on c++ lately. It's been a lot of fun, really.
>>
File: pythonist_husbando.jpg (246KB, 600x878px) Image search: [Google]
pythonist_husbando.jpg
246KB, 600x878px
>>34916606
So what are you interested in?
> autistic as fuck, I like CPUs and low level stuff
Then assembly and C.
>I want to tinker with microcontrollers
Learn some C, try Arduino
> I want to web scrap, use AI or do college math stuff
Then try python.
>I want to professionally code
Learn Java, C#, swift,
>I want a simple mobile app
Again Java, Kotlin or Swift
>I want to lose my remaining sanity and relearn everything each 5 months
Then go into Javascript
> I want to learn the most extensive language ever invented
Go C++
>>
File: 1451946324851.png (387KB, 472x426px) Image search: [Google]
1451946324851.png
387KB, 472x426px
>>34916606
Haskell also original comment
>>
>>34916606
Tutorialspoint is where you start. Also learn lots of linear algebra and algorithm theory. Programming is basically just half passed proofs tbqh famalam
>>
You must be autistic.

sdfwe
>>
What should I learn to makes Forums and Imageboard , pewwz ??

>being this desilusional guy
>>
>>34917180
> linear algebra
Not necessary unless he's doing specialized stuff like graphics or machine learning and sheeit.
>>
>>34917197
Learn HTML, CSS, PHP, SQL, Apache.
>>
File: autism.png (71KB, 826x1169px) Image search: [Google]
autism.png
71KB, 826x1169px
>>34916606
I sometimes start making some kind of "game" that never gets finished, but usually spawns some problem I get interested in. For example, I was once starting a game played in a simple world of rectangular rooms, and for saving this world, I wanted to find the optimal number of rectangles to partition the world. So after reading some papers, I found an algorithm for it based on sweep lining and maximum matching, which was fun to implement.

Other things you could do:

Simple swarm behaviour for particles, making them flock, disperse, follow the mouse etc.

Fractals (start with Koch curve, dragon curve, then make up your own language for formulating fractals in)

A LL parser for some simple language

Computational Geometry stuff like Delaunay triangulation/ Voronoi diagrams

Pathfinding on a graph, which could then lead to the problem of automatically generating large random graphs, which certain structures etc.

Just pick some random problem you are interesting, read up on it, implement a prototype, read some more on data structures that could be used to optimize it. (or straight up read clrs).
>>
File: C.jpg (2MB, 2000x2610px) Image search: [Google]
C.jpg
2MB, 2000x2610px
Just learn C, skip C++ with its template metaprogramming and std bullshit.
>>
>>34918295
why is C better than c++ or rather why is c++ bad
>>
I really like C#. It reads like c with a garbage collector, so it's a lot less difficult to keep track of everything.
>>
>>34918295
C is more aesthetic, but C++ rewards my laziness

I can't be bothered implementing shit that already exists and can work for any type
>>
I want to learn C# so i can mess around in unity to make shitty games. I have the 3D modelling and animation down but i have no idea where to start for programming.
>>
>>34919413
How bout I implement my foot up yo ass whitey
>>
>>34919447
rreeeeee pls no
>>
>>34917217
Php... Retard!
>>
File: 1487093378813.jpg (135KB, 959x684px) Image search: [Google]
1487093378813.jpg
135KB, 959x684px
Check #r9kprog on Rizon
>>
>>34919527
wait what ?! that not /r9k/ ! This is /pol/ !!!
>>
>>34919490
Earning money isn't retarded.
>>
>>34916985
How difficult is to learn Java on your own if you have no previous experience with programming?
>>
>>34916606
My first language was assembler. Then there came C. Then C++. Now I am working on getting the magic of swift.

Can't tell how everyone else does - but learning this way gives you deep wisdom and knowledge of the ways of the machine...
>>
Didnt read the thread, but learn just enough to start building stuff and then start building stuff. Ive been programming Android since it came out and I still look up stuff all the tome, you never need to know everything
>>
>>34919850
The introductionary programming course at my university covered Java for about ten weeks, two 90 min lectures per week, assuming no previous knowledge.

In principal, basic imperative syntax should be doable in a day. The rest depends on how fast you can grasp Javas memory model and things like class inheritance and recursion.
>>
>>34916606
Automate things.
>>
>>34916985
Why do you think that about javascript?
>>
>>34919413
To be fair, C++ is pretty good now with smart pointers and lambdas.
>>
logo writer
>>
More or less the language itself won't matter. I completed my cs degree alternating between c and python for most classes.

You should find a language you feel comfortable with and just start trying projects with it. The more you dive into it, the more fundamentals youll learn.

When youre comfortable with basic fundamentals, start learning about algorithms and complexity. A bubblesort can sort a list of numbers, sure. But it does so by comparing every number against itself. Mergesort makes significantly less checks and runs way faster.

At this point you should have a decent foundation. Start branching out. Make your own projects, contribute to open source projects. Whatever you want.

Its like writing. You got to learn how letters make words, how words make sentences, and how sentences make paragraphs. Then you learn how to write poems and how people can read words top-down instead of always left-right. Then you maoe some short stories or poems. Then a novel.
>>
>>34916606
just realize that if you don't have a degree you better have a damn good portfolio built up
if you have a degree, then a lot of jobs will just let you walk on

I spent my entire undergrad years programming in python, C, and C++, and walked onto a job that only uses SQL scripting, COBOL/RPG, and Visual Basic
hell, I even failed the MS SQL Server literacy test they set up and I still got a call the next day with an offer

If you want to flex your e-peen on /g/ and look like a 1337 haxzor, then do whatever they say, but if you want it as a job, then pick any language, and learn it. Do projects in it, and prove that you CAN learn, because that's 90% of what entry level programming jobs want, someone they can teach their systems to that's not a lazy fuckup
>>
"MIT introduction to computer science Fall 2008"

it's on youtube, 20 lectures, and uses Python
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.