[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the cheapest possible way I can acquire a car or some

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: 1467006609991.jpg (169KB, 850x904px) Image search: [Google]
1467006609991.jpg
169KB, 850x904px
What is the cheapest possible way I can acquire a car or some form of moving vehicle?
>>
buy a 500 - 100 neetbux car from kijiji and drive it into the ground.
>>
Buy something super cheap off craigslist. It will be shit, but once you have a car you can get a job and find something better.
>>
I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you know nothing about cars, right?

Meaning you could easily get ripped off. In fact you almost certainly will unless you're extremely careful and take tons of precautions.

Vehicle dealers by and large are some of the scummiest, most psychopathic, most dishonest people you will ever encounter in your life.

There is no absolutely foolproof way to avoid getting screwed, but you can take some precautions--like don't be in a rush (not like that's really up to you, but if you're lucky enough that you're not in that position, or you can somehow make it so that you're at least less-rushed, it would benefit you), check reviews, and buy a vehicle from a long-established, reputable maker.

If you want my opinion you should strongly consider a used Buick. They make quality cars that are not extremely expensive to maintain, run very well if you take care of them (check the oil and coolant, never allow them to run out/leak out or you will take years off the life of the car).

Anyway, what's your budget?
>>
>>34906868
>>34906905

There's a good chance a car like that won't even last a month. It could leave OP stranded by the roadside--hell, it may not even pass inspection.

Buying a used car without a warranty, unless you have the time, money, and know-how to repair it when things go wrong, is basically like playing the lottery.
>>
File: IMG_0613.jpg (41KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0613.jpg
41KB, 500x333px
An old rickshaw.
>>
By the way OP, you should be familiar with your state's lemon laws.

https://www.carlemon.com/lemons.html

In some states (like Massachusetts), you may have at least some recourse if you get sold a lemon.

In other states, like Illinois, basically there is no help for you. It varies tremendously.

Know how high the stakes are before you part with your money.
>>
>>34906831
a stolo, a contest, or craigslist.
but seriously just borrow your moms.
>>
>>34906868
>>34906905
The other guy is right, if I buy something super cheap and it breaks down on me I will be out the money I spent and stranded

>>34906910
>I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you know nothing about cars, right?
Yep.
I think I could figure out some simple things like how to replace a tire, check oil, things like that, but knowing what to look for to make sure a car doesn't break down, I know nothing

I was thinking an old toyota car, partts would be easy to find since they are so common, could be pretty cheap, etc

>>34906967
I was unironically thinking about getting like a motorcycle or something like that
but rickshaws probably can't drive on american highways

also tata doesn't build their cars thinking of american regulation, I am almost sure indian cars wouldn't pass, not to mention they don't sell here

>>34906910
I should also mention - I am in no hurry at all to get a vehicle, in fact I don't even need one.

It would just be cool to have, just to be able to actually travel, you know?

>>34907049
>contest
auctions are actually a pretty good method I've heard - old police cars are super reliable but may be slightly out of my price range
>>
File: 1480593226649.jpg (68KB, 699x485px) Image search: [Google]
1480593226649.jpg
68KB, 699x485px
>>34906831
Don't. Just have mommy drive you around like I do.
>>
>>34906831

>Cheapest

Theft.
>>
>>34906831
>some form of moving vehicle
You could steal a bicycle.

>Captcha: Select squares that match: Bicycle wheel
>>
Tfw no giantess loli
>>
>>34907061

1/2

>I think I could figure out some simple things like how to replace a tire, check oil, things like that, but knowing what to look for to make sure a car doesn't break down, I know nothing

There is so much to look for that it's not reasonable to expect you to learn it all (no one knows it all, btw, certainly not me). On top of that, every car is different. Even assuming you knew everything about that particular model of car, you would have to actually have your own garage, the proper tools, and a few hours to actually examine everything...it's just not realistic to expect that of yourself unless you want to be a mechanic.

But here are some basic, easy things that would apply to basically any car. You can check these things yourself.

You should check to make sure the car has oil and coolant in it. If it is missing one or the other or both. it's likely it was driven with almost no oil or almost no coolant--this means the engine was likely damaged and you should probably pass.

When you're driving the car, there should not be a smell of exhaust in the cabin (assuming you're not driving on a packed freeway full of exhaust fumes from other cars). A TINY little bit of exhaust smell for a minute when the car first starts isn't a huge red flag, but it's a thin, short little line. If it's really noticeable or lasts more than a minute or so, it is a sign of problems.

The brakes should stop the car, without screeching or squealing. The engine should not make chugging or knocking noises as you drive. The gears shouldn't slip, either.

Those are really basic things, but if the car fails these tests then it probably is going to need repair work, that will take up a lot of time or money (probably both).

>I was thinking an old toyota car, parts would be easy to find since they are so common, could be pretty cheap, etc

Generally speaking Toyotas are good cars. They're not really to my liking--I prefer American sedans. But it's just personal preference.
>>
>>34906938
theoretically you could buy a very cheap car for a few hundred drive it till it dies, scrap it, repeat. Assuming you get lucky you could potentially do it a few times and come out paying around the same as you would for a better car with less money up front as a cost
>>
>>34907061
>>34907180

2/2

>I was unironically thinking about getting like a motorcycle or something like that

The greatest motorcycles are the "Big 4" ones from Japan. Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Kawasaki. These are the most reliable by far--it's not even a contest. And they are therefore the most fun to ride, because it's possible to actually ride them.

If you're going to get a motorcycle, steer clear of anything made in an Asian country that isn't Japan. No Urals (Russian trash). Nothing from China, India, Korea...do not waste your time, money, and safety.

Btw, Harleys are good bikes too but they're very expensive and still not as reliable as the Big 4 from Japan. Would only recommend if you had a lot of money to burn and were married to the HD style or the IDEA of an HD. Objectively speaking they are not all that special compared to the Big 4 at all, but they do have a unique style/sound and they do at least work (assuming they're in good condition).

The thing about bikes is that a lot of them are carbureted. They don't have fuel injection. If it gets cold in the area you live in, starting a carbureted bike is going to be a huge hassle. You can end up flooding the gas and having it spill everywhere if you keep trying to get your bike started in the cold (this is dangerous and unhealthy, both for you and for the bike). You can burn out your starter, kill your battery, and you still might not even get it started.

Relying on a carbureted bike as transportation is nuts unless you live in the tropics. As a diversion/toy it would be okay though, assuming everything else was right with the bike. If you want to be able to rely on your bike starting even when it's cold, get one with fuel injection.
>>
>>34907185

>theoretically you could buy a very cheap car for a few hundred drive it till it dies, scrap it, repeat.

That assumes it will pass inspection, and when it dies, it won't be on a day you had to do something important and you can't get there because your car won't start. And that it won't leave you stranded somewhere where you'll have to pay $300+ on a towtruck. And when it dies it won't be in some way that would endanger your life. Lot of assumptions and finger-crossings for it to end up being worthwhile.

>Assuming you get lucky...

Like I said, it's like playing the lottery.
>>
>>34907185
>>34907329

Also, even if you do get lucky, by the time you've run through so many crappy cars, you end up with one crappy car and a bunch of money and time spent as the BEST case scenario.

Meanwhile if you'd put that same money into a good car from the get go, you'd end up with a good car.

A car is something it makes more sense not to cheap out on, especially if you're going to rely on it and take it far from home, maybe drive it to work, etc. If it's just a toy for weekend cruises a few miles from your place, it's less of a concern but even then you don't want to get into a wreck due to a malfunction.
>>
>>34906831
mopeds are incredibly cheap, go for one.
>>
Assuming you're in the US, get a motorcycle.
>>
File: mob.jpg (255KB, 1280x937px) Image search: [Google]
mob.jpg
255KB, 1280x937px
>>34907411

The really good mopeds aren't made anymore. The French made the amazing Motobecane Mobylette...such a dead simple bike but amazing in every way.

The only downside was that it produced a fair bit of stinky exhaust. But it was the 70's and basically all bikes (especially 2 strokes) were like that at the time. Aside from that it was amazing. Oh, well, also you had to pre-mix the oil and gas in the proper ratio (I believe it was 1 part oil to 50 parts gas but I could be wrong) before filling the tank. If you didn't get a homogenous mixture or fucked up the ratio it could cause catastrophic engine failure. But, as long as you didn't fuck it up...man, it was a great ride.

Never having to do oil/filter changes was another plus.

If you can find one of these for a good price (maybe $600 or so) in good shape, and aren't super sensitive to exhaust fumes (you won't really smell them much except on startup--if it smells a TON right when you start it up, that may or may not be a sign something is amiss), you should consider it.

Yeah, they are carbureted and will be hard to start in winter. And because they're so old I wouldn't plan on taking them on 100+ mile journeys. But they can be had for just a few hundred dollars if you manage to find one and they are an amazing piece of history. And so much fun. For something like this I'd be willing to put away my misgivings about carbs.
>>
>>34906831

Gonna need a source on that picture OP
>>
>>34907061
>auctions are actually a pretty good method I've heard - old police cars are super reliable but may be slightly out of my price range
i had a friend who had one, but it got stolen constantly. idk if thats like normal or what.
>>
>>34906831
Find an old beater in your local classifieds. Preferably something between 300 and 800 dollars. Preferably you'll want something build before 90. They are easy to fix yourself even if your not a gear-head. Buy a socket set and a Haynes manual for the model. Insure it for only a couple months at a time incase it breaks down.
>>
File: IMG_4443.jpg (94KB, 640x919px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4443.jpg
94KB, 640x919px
>>34906831
Not OP, but what do you guys think about getting a new car and using it to drive for Uber a day or two to help pay it off?
>>
>>34907616
>Not OP, but what do you guys think about getting a new car and using it to drive for Uber a day or two to help pay it off?

you can't do that
Uber and Lyft have certain regulations on the age and condition of car which you can drive for them

it needs to be newer than 7 years, and they have a bunch of other requirements

a good idea in theory though
>>
>>34907508
>but it got stolen constantly. idk if thats like normal or what.
do you live in a really shitty neighborhood or something?
>>
>>34907484
these things aren't fast enough for american roads, they are designed for small european cities.
>>
>>34907634
>reading comprehension

I'm literally talking about a new new car. A 2016 or 2017 car. Is that a bad idea? I keep thinking it's great, but I tend to make terrible decisions
>>
>>34907657
getting a real job will pay it off more, uber barely even gives you more than you put into gas.
>>
>>34907657
Oh shit I didn't see you said new car lol

Driving for Uber and Lyft is literally a scam anon.
Or at the very least, you making around minimum wage when considering the mileage you put on your car and the gas cost

remember uber/lyft don't pay for the distance to the customer

it isn't a very good idea to work for them, only stupid people do it

If you need a job to pay off a car, it's better to get a more traditional type "show up and do something" job, and then get a cheap car to get you there
>>
>>34907671
I do have a real job already, I make about $1000 monthly and can't make more. So I was thinking of investing in a new car so I could possibly get a better job, and do Uber on the side after work and the weekends.
>>
>>34907725
>I do have a real job already, I make about $1000 monthly and can't make more. So I was thinking of investing in a new car so I could possibly get a better job, and do Uber on the side after work and the weekends.

Do lyft instead, it pays better

but buying a new car just for that doesn't make sense anon - unless you already needed a new car in the first place I don't think that would make financial sense

If having a new car allowed you to get a better job though then yeah it would make sense to get it, it would pay for itself over time, but if it wouldn't then I don't know if Lyft alone for the new car would be a good idea
>>
>>34907709
>uber/lyft don't pay for the distance to the customer

Huh, I never thought of that. Every time I used them for a ride someone showed up in a few minutes. I guess that's because there's plenty of drivers in my city.

>>34907819
I do need a car to get to work and college. I was planning on doing Lyft/Uber to help make extra cash while keeping my current job.
>>
>>34907644
i did at the time, but no one else i knew who lived there's car got stolen. his got stolen like three times in a few months. he eventually sold it because he was so sick of it.
don't think he owns a car right now but he moved to another city and i don't talk to him that often.
>>
>>34906831
125cc scooters 2nd hand are usually cheap.
Biggest saving is you don't need a licence to drive them.
They're a lot less safe than they look though.
>>
>>34906910

This isn't 1980 anymore bro. Everything you could want to know about price and how to check over a used car is online. There are vehicle history reports on top of that. If you can get ripped off by a car dealer in this day and age, you deserve it
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.