[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>can god create a rock so heavy he himself cannot lift it

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

>can god create a rock so heavy he himself cannot lift it
HOLY SHIT CHRISTIANS ABSOLUTELY UNQUESTIONABLY UNEQUIVOCALLY BTFO FROM HERE TO ETERNITY
>>
haha wow holy shit OP will christians ever recover?
>>
>>34901657
Yes, he just chooses not too. There, now your cucked philosophy question is pointless
>>
>>34901657
That is honestly a very stupid question and is shows how limited and stupid we are to a concept of all powerful. To create something greater than you would disprove you are an all god. The inability not to would actually reaffirm your divinity.
>>
its a Hitchens thread so i have to reply.

tbqh though, how could you expect to understand what god can or cannot do? you are a mere mortal while he is the most supreme being in existance.

thats clearly a cop out, but its something religious people could try arguing.
>>
>>34901657
Well if you just assume god isn't all powerful, but still very powerful, that argument falls apart quite spectacularly.

Same with the "problem of evil" atheists like to throw around.
>>
>>34901657

For the last fucking time, YES, I CAN CREATE A ROCK SO BIG I CAN'T LIFT IT.

But, I'm not going to do that. I'm God, and I'm too smart for that shit.

>Fucking humans, why I didn't I make their dicks smaller and their braincases larger.
>>
That's fucking retarded. Basically saying "Can god come up with a number larger than infinity? Gotcha!", fucking retarded lmao
>>
>>34901881
Some infinities are bigger than others.
>>
>>34901943
Not really conceptually infinity it's one infinity is greater than another
>>
I can't believe people still doubt God's existence when our boy Terry communicates with him every day on livestream. God likes soap operas.
>>
>>34901657
He probably could make a rock so heavy he couldnt lift it, but at the same time he could lift it.
>>
>>34901657
If God is true all power (which where do we get that anyway? Nothing I have read on the subject says this, it just seems more like poetic interpretation) then he have to be a walking paradox 24/7 always being in a constant state of all powerful and nothingness.
>>
God is not capable of doing anything. When we say God is omnipotent, we mean that he is all powerful; i.e., he is of infinite power within his attributes and character. There are things he cannot do, such as commit evil. It is contrary to who he is. But he is good, and thus infinitely good. So he cannot create a rock too heavy to lift himself, because it would contradict his own nature.
>>
File: IMG_1472.gif (1000KB, 499x206px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1472.gif
1000KB, 499x206px
He creates a rock that retains the attributes of "so heavy it cannot be lifted" and "able to be lifted by him". Since He is all powerful, this is not a paradox.
There, baby's first atheist troll answered.
>>
File: schct.jpg (31KB, 358x300px) Image search: [Google]
schct.jpg
31KB, 358x300px
>>34901657
Yes and No

God is able to lift and not lift the rock using the many world interpretation of quantum mechanics.

Learn2multiverse Hitchens.
>>
>>34902310
why do you assume god is good though? because the bible says so?

>>34902336
then can he create a rock he himself cannot lift?
>>
Yes he can create the rock and then change the rules at any time to be able to lift the rock. He is always the master over the rock.
>>
>>34902220
Is this some kind of text generating thing? Was this written by a neural network?
>>
>>34902383
>why do you assume god is good though? because the bible says so?

Because "good" is a concept that humans possess only because we are created in God's image. There is no other standard of reality but its sole arbiter.
>>
>>34902455
evil is also a concept we possess, and if your argument is based on the fact that we are created in god's image, people are quite evil given the chance.
>>
>>34902499
Yes, evil/sin is anything contrary to the will of God. Being created in God's image does not mean that we are obedient necessarily, it means that we possess a reasonable soul capable of distinguishing good and evil, understanding the existence of God, and responding to his revelation of himself. Humans were created with the potential to obey or disobey.
>>
>>34902634
but i find that you HAVE to go to the bible eventually, because we can either be good or bad, but you are attributing the good to god and the bad to something "ungodly". why would you attribute those things such? why isnt it the other way around?
>>
>>34902676
Of course, the Bible is God's revelation of himself to humans. We possess within ourselves to an extent the knowledge of God and of the law. But our will is corrupted and we do not believe or obey what we know to be true. God gives some people faith in order to bring them to himself and save them from the consequences of their disobedience.
>>
>>34902742
if god wants to reveal himself to us (or presumably already has), then why did he do it in such a mysterious, senseless way? why reveal himself in a 2000 year old book thats filled with inconsistencies, and allow that book to be manipulated and used by evil people just seeking to gain power? why not reveal himself in a way that didnt cause so much confusion?
>>
>>34902809
Luke 16:19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.
>>
>>34902889
fuckin Gaybraham
>>
>>34902889
that didnt answer my question, and if it attempted to it was a very weak try.

Abraham was completely wrong in this story. hearing the tales of the son of god from a bunch of raggedy poor people is not the same as hearing the jesus' tale from somebody who rose from the dead. its not even close.

like i said, it didnt even answer my question. why did the bible have to happen? why didnt god, through all his might, reveal himself in such a way so that his word wasnt altered? its not even the fact that the bible is not believable, its the fact that it has been manipulated ever since its conception by evil people. why did god decide this old piece of text was the best way to communicate his existance? it just made it possible for evil doers to gain power and influence. surely god must have known that was going to happen. surely there are better ways to let his existance be known, yet he chose an old piece of text open to 1000 different interpretations, often abused by "sinners".
>>
File: atheist_pepe.png (789KB, 1138x1100px) Image search: [Google]
atheist_pepe.png
789KB, 1138x1100px
Christcucks need to fuck off

If you're a robot on /r9k/ and you still have faith in god then you must be a misotheist
>>
>>34903083
I am a Calvinist, so I do not believe that God is attempting to persuade people to come to him. God in eternity past elected a certain number of people whom he would save. Christ was incarnated and died for these people. Through the preaching of the word of God, the Holy Spirit regenerates God's elect and brings them to faith and salvation through union with Christ. He's not trying to woo anybody. What Abraham said is true, "If they did not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead." Due to our corrupted nature we are not capable of belief, unless God gives it to us. It is this way because it is how God decided to glorify himself.
>>
Man was created in God's image, but Jesus was a man. 'Image' does not refer to a physical body, but the 'soul'. God could create a rock that Jesus could not lift since Jesus was a man. It'd be impossible to create a rock that God couldn't lift considering God may not have arms if you get what I'm saying. There's nothing that alludes to the idea of God having a physical body.
>>
>>34903164
i am still a Christan but i dont care what you do i only call my self one because i was raise as one and i dont really care.
>>
gonna tell my bible thumper peepz and watch them btfo
>>
God can do anything that is possible.

Such a thing is impossible.
>>
>god is within everyone
>there are rocks I cannot lift
>god created a rock he cannot lift
>>
>>34901943
Infinity + 1 isn't a real thing. How's kindergarten?

>>34901657
How and why would a god create something he can't control? The point of being a god is to control things, not test your might.
>>
>ctrl+f+burrito
>>
File: mt-stupid.png (43KB, 613x481px) Image search: [Google]
mt-stupid.png
43KB, 613x481px
>>34903643
>Infinity + 1 isn't a real thing. How's kindergarten?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinality
Please descend.
>>
>>34901657
The problem is they could say the statement is logically incoherent and therefore invalid. Like asking if God can make a round square or smart nigger. Those things are oxymorons
>>
>>34901778
But omnipotence is a core assumption of the faith. Core tenants of theodicy and the Christian idea of divinity rely on the assumption of omniscience, omnipotence, and omnibenevolence.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.