[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Im 26 years old living with my mom. Am I better off staying at

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: hamburger.jpg (310KB, 1169x850px) Image search: [Google]
hamburger.jpg
310KB, 1169x850px
Im 26 years old living with my mom. Am I better off staying at community college and trying to get minimum wage job and pay rent to someone, or should I go to a university (ASU) and try to live in one of their student dorms. I was told they have dorms for 25+ people.
>>
>>34878139
Avoid the debt and swallow your pride, man. Dorms are super fucking expensive, as are (even public) universities when compared to community college, and if you find out college isn't for you, you're without recourse.

Go to CC and get your associate degree, then transfer if you're interested in going farther. Don't find yourself extremely in debt, especially if you don't ultimately get a degree.

Take it seriously and do well, and you'll find yourself in a much better situation when that time comes, as well. You'll have a lot more options.
>>
>>34878315

I can transfer already, I just want to know if I will be able to pay for the dorms at the university
>>
>>34878315
I second this, play conservative and in the long run you'll be much more stable. Get a technical degree in something that makes a decent living and go from there
>>
You can't dorm at 26
>>
>>34878392

yes, you can. I asked them
>>
>>34878139
You can get a 2 year technical degree from community college and be making 40-50k within a few years of working.
>>
>>34878407

what degree do i get?
>>
>>34878359
Keep the whole comment in mind.

Be sure to get your associate degree, above all else. No matter what, get that out of the way, especially if you're close. Once that's taken care of, you're in a much better position to succeed.

I can't tell you of how many dipshits that I know that were one semester away from graduating from a community college, transferred to a university, hated it, then didn't have an associate degree, or end up with a bachelor's. Don't be one of those morons. Swallow your pride, and put yourself in the best financial position possible.
>>
>>34878441
not him, but do something medical or with computers
>>
>>34878461

all the medical shit has long waitlists. I think xray tech is 3 or 4 years until you can start taking classes
>>
The best thing to do at your age would be to work a part time job and go to a trade school so you can land a high paying trade in a couple of years, unless you're a limp wristed beta faggot that's opposed to working with your hands and making a mans living.
>>
>>34878483
lab tech or EMT?
>>
>>34878139
>>34878359
Another thing to add, depending on how important the "college experience" is to you and what your major is, Arizona State offers fully online degree programs that you can take advantage of (I hear about it all the time on the radio). Same degree, same everything.

It's a LOT cheaper than having to pay for a dorm on top of tuition, and you can keep living at home with your mother (presumably) feeding you.

Another thing to keep in mind, college campuses are filled with literal children, and very well may make you want to kill yourself.
>>
>>34878511

which trade? I dont know where the trade schools are
>>
>>34878407
IT
networking
biomedical equipment technician
electronics
welding if you're into that
CAD
>>
Current ASU student.

At 26 you can't dorm in regular dorms, only the 1 upperclassmen one.

Also if you're a true robot don't stay in Tempe campus.
>>
>>34878647

how do people pay for the dorms? Does the school provide enough grants for it?
>>
>>34878698
Merit scholarships.

Meaning coming into asu from highschool with 3.75+ or older guys off gi bill
>>
>>34878542
>which trade?

I don't know research some and find the best one for you

>I dont know where the trade schools are

google it there has to be some
going to a shit tier college like ASU is going to get you nothing but high student loans and future unemployment.
>>
>>34878139
It depends entirely on what you want to study or what career path you want to take. It may just be better to live by yourself.
>>
>>34878315
What about the military?
>>
>>34878762

How do I live by myself? What type of job can I get for this?
>>
For what it's worth op I'm a senior at my final semester here and I have a pretty dank job lined up. (Almost 6 figures in Texas)

However you really have to fake being a chad to make it here.
People here are cold af and this is probably the biggest normie college in the nation.

Wasn't too bad for me, I go a lot of opportunities, found a gf and 4-5 close friends.
>>
>>34878876

How do you pay for your dorm room?
>>
>>34878977
I don't live on campus and I have a part time job on mill.

I don't think you're ready for school desu, it's 12k a year tuition instate and 7k a year for room and board to live on campus
>>
>>34879060

Im 26 and at Chandler Gilbert CC

how do you afford rent with a part time job?
>>
>>34879093
School pays me extra after tuition and rent after splitting between 4 people is only 400 dollars.
>>
>>34879136

where do you find people to room with? Craigslist?
>>
>>34879151
Friends from school and my gf.

1560 rent , maybe 100 extra for utilities for 3 bedroom a mile off campus
>>
>>34879182

would I be able to do something like this while going to community college? I dont really care to go to ASU , except for the idea of living in dorms. I would like to move to Tempe, I hate living way out off Signal Butte
>>
>>34878139
Have you considered.mil? A lot of programs to pay for college.
>>
>>34878139
dorms can be expensive as fuck and for many is about half the student debt they get stuck with.
>>
File: 1486836324022.png (462KB, 850x506px) Image search: [Google]
1486836324022.png
462KB, 850x506px
>>34879182
>Gf

Fuck off already you god damn piece of shit
>>
>>34878511
>high paying
>trade
lmao, someone with an associates degree in basic shit like accounting will make around 10k more a year than a shit trade.
You trade cucks are delusional and obviously cannot understand statistics (which is probably why you are skilled labor)
>>
>>34879848
Depends on the trade faggot, I'll be getting $50 an hour, all the overtime i want, benefits etc.
Plus i wont be a little dweeb desk cuck that nobody respects.
>>
>>34879998
Congrats, you are the upper percentile of trade workers at that pay. Guess what? It doesn't apply to the other 99 fucking percent of workers.
Joining a trade because you think 100k a year is something reasonable to achieve is ridiculous. It would be like joining the army thinking that you are going to be a general.
Fact, your trade, like every trades average pay is within 5-8% of national average income.
The entry level pay, to the average trade, barely puts you into the middle class. The average experience level for someone making average income is almost ten years.
That means your average tradesmen has to work for nearly ten years in order to make within 5% or so of national average income, which is about 52k a year.
Nothing to boast about considering entry level pay for a degree like accounting is almost 50k.
Trades are a meme and only the uneducated fall for it
>>
>>34880269
There is nothing wrong with being middle class though, being wealthy is degenerate.

college is a meme that only the """educated""" fall for, but hey somebody has to serve me my coffee on my way to work because their useless degree has them working as a barista because their occupation gets an influx of college graduates.
>>
>>34878139

You will be fucking miserable in a student dorm. Trust me, it's better to live off campus. Get yourself a camper if you have to, used campers can be pretty fucking cheap. And get a job where you get drug tested. Those jobs are usually way fucking better. And go to a university. State schools, tuition wise, are honestly not that expensive and if you work part time and get your financial aid, it's totally worth it for the quality of people you'll be around. And get into a good school. I can't emphasize that enough.
>>
Dorms, get the college experience age doesn't matter. Only do it if you're going to work hard and get good grades otherwise you're just throwing money down the toilet. It's better in the long run to go to a good school rather than just a community college, decide if you're going to make it worth your while.
>>
>>34880724
I've been in freshman dorms. Cramped room no bigger than a prison cell, doors slamming everywhere, sharing the restroom with the entire hall, sharing the kitchen with the entire building, and everyone trying to romanticize it.

Upperclassman dorms are great though.
>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 810x540px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 810x540px
>all these normies who fell for the college/university meme

make 75k a year as our county electrical engineer and only had to pass a written exam, get certification and do a background check.
>>
op, just calculate and compare costs of each option and see which one's worth it to you. remember, borrowing money to go to school typically means you'll be paying it off for the next 10~25 years of your life. keep it minimal. don't dump more money into college than you have to because once it's over, it's over anyway. all you end up with is the piece of paper and some connections if you're lucky.

>>34878455
this is an option, provided you aren't sure you'll finish a bachelors. sometimes the school fucks you by only having a certain classes in the fall/spring so you'd end up waiting an entire year. don't let college do that, especially community college. research which classes are offered when and set up your course schedule wisely. if taking out loans and transferring early means you'll end up saving a year's worth of tuition down the line, do it.

>>34879761
agreed. especially if op is trying to live on campus during the last two years when everyone's already made their friends and aren't as social anyway. i mean, your sociability dictates your social life, not where you are living. on-campus or off-campus won't matter.

being stuck in a 25+ dorm doesn't sound too great, and that's coming from a guy who's currently 25 and going to uni.

in any case, i'm hyped for you man. get that education you deserve.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.