[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't have a facebook or any other accounts. I am 34

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 14

File: 1487034089929.jpg (12KB, 418x430px) Image search: [Google]
1487034089929.jpg
12KB, 418x430px
I don't have a facebook or any other accounts. I am 34

I graduated college with lots of friends and maintained friendships with people I had known since I was 15 till I was 26, I had a good job and lots of people liked me, I was fit and had a girlfriend.

then I my drinking got out of control and I lost my job, I have been drinking for years now and don't know how to stop, I work a shit job now despite having a good college degree and once being successful. I go to work, drink and go home. I don't have a TV and live in a shitty little apartment alone.

I don't have a facebook because I don't want anyone to know what happened to me.

I think about and miss my old friends every day but I am too ashamed to talk to them, in their eyes i basically just dropped off the face of the earth one day. I know two of them on separate occasions hunted down my parents and asked them where I was and what was going on, that part just kills me

I purposefully do not make new friends because i don't want anyone to know what I do every day.

I often wonder how long I will live but I don't think about killing myself

I wonder every day if I got cleaned up if my friends would take me back, I missed all their weddings.

anyone else in a similar situation or have any advice besides "stop drinking" which i already fail at every day?
>>
what is this failed normie shit
>>
>>34852467

>Don't shitpost
>Get out of comfort zone

/advice and /thread
>>
File: 1440829930269.png (59KB, 525x488px) Image search: [Google]
1440829930269.png
59KB, 525x488px
>>34852746
>what is this failed normie shit

I am 34 and i lurk r9k and do nothing with my life, not quite a normie anymore

>>34852771
>>Get out of comfort zone

i am far from comfortable
>>
File: 1485406703900.jpg (14KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1485406703900.jpg
14KB, 480x480px
>>34852848
>not quite a normie anymore
So what you're saying is that you're a... failed normie?
>>
File: 1430300519160.jpg (15KB, 405x371px) Image search: [Google]
1430300519160.jpg
15KB, 405x371px
>>34852905

failed something
>>
>>34852467
Go to alcoholics anonymous meetings
>>
>>34852467
Seems to me like you're your own biggest problem. Why did you lose your friends in the first place? They even fucking searched for you, did those two not know about your drinking or what?

I don't understand how drinking makes you lose ALL of your friends unless you fucked something up really badly. Continue drinking and fucking contact them (and if you can manage to make new ones do this as well), you don't have to present your failed life at Facebook for the whole public to see.
>>
>>34852998
>Go to alcoholics anonymous meetings

I've been to a few, if you ever want to meet some sad fuckers... go there, it's really bad. It really shows you what alcohol can do to people, in large and sustained quantities I think it fucks up your brain permanently.

>>34853014
>I don't understand how drinking makes you lose ALL of your friends unless you fucked something up really badly. Continue drinking and fucking contact them

nothing scares me more than doing that, i mean what can I say "sorry i forgot to call you for 8 years, my bad"
>>
>>34852467
I just got past 4 years sober on the first. Rehab and meetings aren't so bad. You could do it.
>>
>>34852467
>tfw failed normie

OUT
>>
>>34853102
You could try to tell one or two former really close friends the truth, if they are good people they'll understand. This could backfire though which doesn't matter too much since you can try with other people but it will be hard for you to swallow. You have to try to do something here otherwise nothing will change. I know this sucks.

ANother possibility might me trying to make new friends and not tell them about your earlier success until you know them better.
>>
File: 8oSFC3e.jpg (39KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
8oSFC3e.jpg
39KB, 420x420px
>got denied promotion
>start drinking heavily
>bday comes up and I'm alone drinking gin and tonics.
>wake up next day feeling like shit and just stop
I hate drinking. I still have a beer here n there but thats about it. Try smoking weed, that helps winging off urges. Everytime I smoke weed I start thinking "Fuck it, I'm not going to get alcohol. I'm just gonna stay home and play videogames."
>>
File: 1476827580356.gif (607KB, 800x792px) Image search: [Google]
1476827580356.gif
607KB, 800x792px
>>34853145
>I just got past 4 years sober on the first. Rehab and meetings aren't so bad. You could do it.

did they help you though, when I went it was just a bunch of people talking about how much they used to drink, it didn't really help me at all
>>
File: 1425634578259.jpg (58KB, 777x738px) Image search: [Google]
1425634578259.jpg
58KB, 777x738px
>>34853235
>You could try to tell one or two former really close friends the truth, if they are good people they'll understand.

i think about doing this but it's like i'm paralyzed

>>34853239
>I hate drinking. I still have a beer here n there but thats about it. Try smoking weed, that helps winging off urges. Everytime I smoke weed I start thinking "Fuck it, I'm not going to get alcohol. I'm just gonna stay home and play videogames."

i wish i had a weed hookup, i think maybe i could switch to weed if i could get it
>>
>>34853435
You have to find a good meeting and keep going to it. My meeting is at 7 in the morning so it has less bullshit. There are also outpatient rehabs where you don't live there but just go in the evenings so it doesn't fuck your life. That's what I did.
>>
>>34853488
>There are also outpatient rehabs where you don't live there but just go in the evenings so it doesn't fuck your life.

what do you do while in rehab could you be specific, like what exactly happens

if I don't drink i shake and vomit and get very sick, I can't just "stop" one day it would nearly kill me
>>
>>34853622
In rehab you get meds to treat your withdrawal symptoms and you do a shitliad of talk therapy. I remember a lot of arts and crafts bullshit and sitting in a circle talking. But if you go into it with a good attitude you can get something out of it.
>>
>>34853723
>I remember a lot of arts and crafts bullshit and sitting in a circle talking. But if you go into it with a good attitude you can get something out of it.

I just don't logically see how this would help and I have tried it at aa meetings, what do arts and crafts have to do with not drinking?

not knocking you I just need to see how this helps, I know I drink too much, I just can't stop, I don't think weaving a basket or talking about it will help
>>
>>34853831
Have you read 12 and 12? It describes the 12 steps and the 12 traditions. You work through the program a step at a time and it works. It takes you through thinking about why you drink and building a life where you don't. All the talking and activities and drugs are just ways to get you through the process. Seriously consider reading it, or even just the first couple chapters of the big book. It works if you work it.
>>
File: 1430004071048.gif (282KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1430004071048.gif
282KB, 300x300px
>>34853924
>Have you read 12 and 12?

No, I don't really understand the 12 steps either, they seem to be for people in denial about their drinking, I am not in denial I am just so physically addicted I can't stop and I crave alcohol physically all the time.

I know I am an alcoholic and should stop I have no problem admitting it, that's not the issue
>>
>>34854022
Like you're saying, you want to stop but you can't. You need help to be able to do it. The program is help. In meetings it's normal to get people's numbers so you can call them when you need help. You can have my number if you want.
>>
>>34854104
>Like you're saying, you want to stop but you can't. You need help to be able to do it. The program is help. In meetings it's normal to get people's numbers so you can call them when you need help. You can have my number if you want.

it's confusing to me, I just don't see how talking about it would help

I guess I should try it because I have nothing to lose but the meetings I have gone to just left me depressed and realizing that i was one of "those people" and how fucked their lives were reminded me of me and made me sad
>>
>>34854155
It's really hard to admit that you have a problem, I get that. I still try to talk myself out of it sometimes. Addiction is cunning and baffling and powerful. It's a hard thing to fight. I think you can do it though. You're still young.
>>
>>34854155
What I know about AA and the way it works:
In the beginning you will feel as though you don't belong and that it's all just a bunch of sick people talking about their problems.
The most important thing is to regularly attend the meetings even if you don't identify with what you're hearing or the 'message' or any of that.
Don't feel that you have to contribute or tell your story to anybody until it feels right for you to do so.
For those who stick to the general AA guidelines it has an impressively high success rate when it comes to maintaining sobriety.
Once you can maintain and open mind and not judge others by the horrible stories and anecdotes you hear from then, you can begin your own healing process

Take that for what its worth. If you really believe you have a problem and want to change AA is your best and most proven option for recovery
>>
>>34854221
>It's really hard to admit that you have a problem, I get that. I still try to talk myself out of it sometimes. Addiction is cunning and baffling and powerful. It's a hard thing to fight. I think you can do it though. You're still young.

I don't talk myself out of it, I know I'm addicted, I am under no delusion of not having a drinking problem
>>
>>34854325
>In the beginning you will feel as though you don't belong and that it's all just a bunch of sick people talking about their problems.

this is basically how i feel now

>>34854325
>Once you can maintain and open mind and not judge others by the horrible stories and anecdotes you hear from then, you can begin your own healing process

i don't judge other people but the whole thing just depresses me, I don't feel any healing when I tell a story of how much of a drunk I am at meetings, I just feel bad about it
>>
>>34852467
Suicide is the only option, faggot. It's the only way for failed normies

>>>/adv/
>>
>>34852467
you're not a robot sorry bud, you're just a degenerate alcoholic low life scum that threw his life away.

big difference.
>>
>>34854533
>you're not a robot sorry bud, you're just a degenerate alcoholic low life scum that threw his life away.
>big difference.

how
>>
>>34854572
The difference is that robots never had a chance or taste of success
>>
Are you in the closet? Why do you drink?
>>
>>34854623
>The difference is that robots never had a chance or taste of success

well we are in the same boat now
>>
>>34854655
>Are you in the closet? Why do you drink?

no im straight

I drink because if I stop I get the shakes and dry heaves and sweat like im going to die
>>
>>34854685
My dad drinks and smokes weed everyday after work. Go take a electrician union test and work then come home and drink. You'll have a boat load of money too cuz you'll have no wife and kids nd house. It's not so bad op. At least your alive
>>
>>34854685
How do you know your straight? You do browse here no? Everyone here has same sex attraction
>>
>>34854791
>How do you know your straight? You do browse here no? Everyone here has same sex attraction

honestly i drink so much i don't think about sex anymore

it's been 5 years since i had sex and that was with a female
>>
>>34854791
stop trying to flip everyone you edge lord faggot.
>>
>>34854919
Shit bro you must be fucked up. Something must be going on in your head to be drinking like this. Addiction is real yes but the human brain is strong enough to kick it. You don't want to stop. That's the problem
>>
>>34854955
It got a rise out you sooo
>>
>>34854965
>Shit bro you must be fucked up. Something must be going on in your head to be drinking like this. Addiction is real yes but the human brain is strong enough to kick it. You don't want to stop. That's the problem

I want to stop, I don't want to go through the withdrawal process
>>
>>34855016
Ok man. This is the only way unless you quit cold turkey... rehab
>>
>>34855088
>Ok man. This is the only way unless you quit cold turkey... rehab

i may have no choice in the end
>>
>>34854022
>I am just so physically addicted I can't stop
Why not admit yourself to rehab and let them keep you clean for a few months till the physical addiction passes. You seem mature enough to handle the mental component on your own
>>
>>34855123
>Why not admit yourself to rehab and let them keep you clean for a few months till the physical addiction passes. You seem mature enough to handle the mental component on your own

I don't have the money for that
>>
>>34855146
Do you have any family members? Any ties to anyone left? Try hiring someone to check in on you and take all your booze away whenever you try to get any, maybe breathalyze you each day

Like a pet sitter but a booze sitter
>>
>>34855146
Go to a hospital and explain you are having alcohol withdrawals they will put you on meds to ease the process. It will kill the heaving, shaking, and sweating.
>>
Alcoholism is the worst. Listening to addicts make every excuse in the world as to why they won't quit is fucking pathetic.

OP says he doesn't have the money for rehab but there are plenty of options available paid for by the state. I would rather be out of money than out of a liver and a brain.

Have you seen the empty destroyed shells that drunks become? It sounds like you are pretty close to the bottom yourself.
>>
>>34855237
>Do you have any family members? Any ties to anyone left? Try hiring someone to check in on you and take all your booze away whenever you try to get any, maybe breathalyze you each day

I honestly would probably have to go through hospital detox first, whenever i try to stop i sweat and have chest pains to the point I feel I might die.

It would be nice to have someone who would do that for me though, but it's a lot to ask
>>
>>34855245
>Go to a hospital and explain you are having alcohol withdrawals they will put you on meds to ease the process. It will kill the heaving, shaking, and sweating.

do you really think they will do this? if this would work I will do it
>>
>>34855903
Yes. I'm a social worker, I've done this with a few people.

Please do it. You're still young, it's not too late to fix your life.

Good luck anonymous friend.
>>
File: 1439151087333.png (1MB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1439151087333.png
1MB, 960x720px
>>34855330
>Alcoholism is the worst. Listening to addicts make every excuse in the world as to why they won't quit is fucking pathetic.

I am not making excuses I know it's my fault I drink and nobody else's, I just don't know what to do about it. I have tried and failed to stop many times. I know it's a personal failing and I make no excuse for that

>>34855330
>Have you seen the empty destroyed shells that drunks become?

yes i have, at AA meetings, it's so bad it makes me just want to stay away to not be around them

>>34855330
>It sounds like you are pretty close to the bottom yourself.

I still hold down a job, when/if i can't do that anymore it will be over for me. It is possible I will wind up homeless begging for change for booze or in jail for trying to do something illegal to support my addiction
>>
>>34855939
>Yes. I'm a social worker, I've done this with a few people.
>Please do it. You're still young, it's not too late to fix your life.

what happens, they just give you drugs and let you leave? like benzos? or would they want to keep me

when I am in withdrawal I look like death, I sweat and cry and get visual hallucinations
>>
File: 1440249337782.gif (426KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1440249337782.gif
426KB, 300x300px
I fear sometimes I will get a DUI and put in jail and die from withdrawal symptoms in the cell
>>
I'm a recovering drunk myself. It's tough to quit but you can do it. I hate booze so much now, I hate the gross person I was.

I picked up a fitness addiction and that has really helped keep me away from drugs and booze.
>>
>>34856040
They give you benzos and you can also get into a hospital for a few days. It would really speed up the process if you told them you are thinking of harming yourself.

This isn't something you should put off, get help ASAP.
>>
>>34856193
>It would really speed up the process if you told them you are thinking of harming yourself.

oh no

I'm not falling for that, then you get baker acted and are labeled crazy for life, you can never even own firearms again
>>
>>34856097
>I picked up a fitness addiction and that has really helped keep me away from drugs and booze.

how has it helped? do you feel that if you drink you will lose your gains?
>>
>>34856291
I'm not worried about ruining gains because I run and only lift light weights.

Booze repulses me to even think about so not worried about drinking again. You should check yourself into a hospital and get better. Getting fit will improve your self esteem and help you make new friends.
>>
>>34852467
Been there.

Suck it up, take a bite of humble pie and move on with your life. Your friends sound like they genuinely care about you which is nice. Friends like that won't care if you tell them exactly what you wrote.

But just sitting around rotting isn't going good to end well. You fucked up, but life isn't over and you'll have to start again eventually.
>>
File: IMG_1170.jpg (69KB, 493x335px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1170.jpg
69KB, 493x335px
>>34856270
Medfag here
You are literally physically addicted to alcohol. It is not even your brain that wants the alcohol, its your body, like wanting food or water to survive. Quitting cold turkey can result in seizures and death. You are literally in physical danger right now. In addition, you will most likely die an incredibly painful and slow death in the next 5-10 years. But if you get help now, you can be saved and live at least 30 years of healthy life. The only viable solution is to go to the emergency room at any hospital and explain your situation. However if you have the willpower/medical knowledge (from your posts which suggests the contrary), you can titrate your doses lower and lower.

Medications work, and they are carefully adjusted for each person, over time. But in the end it is always up to yourself to overcome this addiction. If you do skip your medications and therapy for whatever reason, it is ok, but at least make an effort and explain to the worker next time on why you didnt/couldnt go, even if its a retarded reason.

But please, go to the emergency room right now. If you lack the willpower even for that, then call 911 and say you are experiencing alcohol withdrawal, and go outside and wait for the ambulance to come. They will take care of you from there.

Keep in mind, if you dont do anything, the physician and coroner will just note you as another deadbeat weak loser that died from drinking. You will be written off as another statistic, a meaningless yet unpleasant and painful death. However, if you do something about it, the medical team will admire your courage in overcoming this disease that is alcohol addiction and you will make a lasting impression on them.

Btw here is what your liver looks/will look like in the next 5 years (if you dont die before that)
>>
File: 1440248958869.gif (1MB, 490x377px) Image search: [Google]
1440248958869.gif
1MB, 490x377px
>>34856613

If I do that how long will they keep me, what will they do to me?

I can't just not show up for work, I will get fired.

Fun fact: my boss is an alcoholic and drinks wine at the office all day and liquor all night, at least 3 other people I work with are in the same boat as me and one of them has to breathe into a tube to start his car.

anyway how can I do this without losing my job (which I need) should I go to my boss (who for sure at lest subconsciously knows im an alky) and tell him first?

I feel like in my area with my ins if I go to the emergency room they will either do nothing and kick me out or give me a bottle of benzos and kick me out. And I don't think that's enough to fix my problem

I know I am slowly dying, I just don't know what to do about it
>>
>>34852467

>Spending your life constantly wondering what everyone around you thinks of you.

ishiggydiggy
>>
>>34857051
I would take my health over a job. Maybe you have some family you could stay with until you get back on your feet.
>>
>>34855088
>>34855117
Never quit cold turkey, it could kill you. Taper off by starting to drink less and less everyday. I used to drink half a bottle of vodka a night. Got it down to two tall cans of 2/11 after a couple of months. I'm now starting to go days without it. Trying to stick to weekends, and never by myself anymore. I haven't started using any other substance to replace it either. It's will power. Just keep at it.
>>
File: 1433055484969.jpg (35KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1433055484969.jpg
35KB, 800x600px
>>34857653
>Never quit cold turkey, it could kill you. Taper off by starting to drink less and less everyday

I don't know if I should to this or go to the hospital

>>34857548
>I would take my health over a job.

yeah man me too but when they send me home i have to pay rent or ill be homeless and I would think that while detoxing I will have a hard time finding a new job
>>
>>34857756
Go to the hospital. Most people don't have the willpower to taper off, it just keeps the addiction going.
>>
>>34857850
>Go to the hospital. Most people don't have the willpower to taper off, it just keeps the addiction going.

ok what if they keep me for a day or two, how do I live with no job when I get out
>>
>>34852467
You're an alcoholic.

If you're under the misconception alcohol is anything other than the bane of your existence you're dead wrong. Heres the good thing, every single social and mental ailment you're dealing with will get inevitably get better when you don't consume alcohol.

I was in your shoes, my 18 year little old brother just died from the same problems you're battling. My whole entire life was completely fucking unmanageable. I was never happy, only numb. The sole reason I existed on this planet was to forget that I exist. I would go to any length.

You need to go to treatment,

No addict ever. Ever! Wants to go to treatment, the thing is that's the only option, you need a fundamental mindset change that entails more then just saying I'm done using. Most only go when there's absolutely no where left to turn, some never will. Very few things feel as good in life as being under the influence. It caresses you when you're down, loves you, and is there for you when no one or nothing else is.

The truth is if you think life is going to magically get better by doing the same thing over and over when the results up to this point have been a resounding failure you might as well just end your suffering right now.

You need help

Go
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.