[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've dicked around my whole life and now at 23 I'm

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: wpid-128741.jpg (39KB, 400x333px) Image search: [Google]
wpid-128741.jpg
39KB, 400x333px
I've dicked around my whole life and now at 23 I'm really done with being a NEET. I still have a chance to go to college next year but the big problem is I don't know what to study. My parents paid some agency alot of money a few years ago to test me and the results were absolutely worthless. The top result was a philosophy major which I basically interpreted as a 'go fuck yourself we can't help you'. I really don't intend on making friends while I'm there, which I'm fine with, but the more I look at the friendless college goons who post here the more I start to think that it would just be a waste of energy and time for someone like me.
If it's all just a period where you're supposed to suck up to your peers in hopes of landing a job through them I really have no reason to try. I realize not a single choice will be fun and studying is supposed to be shit, but what the fuck do I pick? How do I not get memed into an useless degree and pick something I can actually get a job with?
>>
im 22 and if i have luck next year im starting film college and moving in my own to the big city(small town fag) so yeah, you are in time to start living, i try not to think in my age and just keep my mind on my career

aboout your problem, well i figured out what i like just by thinking what things i still enjoy and how to keep in contact with those things, i have a friend that loves soccer and he dance in the stadium of his favourite team dressed as a coin, he is happy going every week to work, that is the secret of happiness i think, even if you don't have talent or confidence for what you like(implying you like music or acting) you can keep in contact with that world by studying music production, set up, etc.

and for human relantionship, im a social reatarded too but last year while i worked on a film production i realise that i was a Chad among film nerds, people wanted to be near me and i talked a lot with some qts , i grow up thinkin i was a creep bit that was mostly because i always was surrounded by Staceys and Chads, with my own kind of people i really enjoyed human interaction, who knows maybe you as well find yourself easy to relate with people of your mind kind
>>
If you have no idea what you want to study in college, then start at community college, and take a course in every potentially interesting field, you might like. You need general electives anyway. The worst thing you can do is jump into a university program, and do your self-discovery there, where every class is priced at 1500+. Even if you're not paying for college, and your mommy is footing the bill, it's still a dick move to squander their money like that.

No one can tell you what will pique your interests, not even counselors. Counselors are fucking worthless. I've asked them for advice several times, and they always give very general replies, like if they're reading from a script. They also tell you, 'only you can decide what you want to do. And don't be afraid to change your major later on. Everyone goes through 3-4 major changes on average etc". So they just pretty much advocate that you try to find yourself on your own.

You have interests and affinities for some things over others. I'm not good at math -- I'm borderline retarded actually when it comes to math. I cannot do any math intensive major: stats, economics, finance, STEM - nada.

I like to read and write a fair amount. I don't like to research, though. Researching is a pain in the ass. That cuts out social sciences and even history. So what am I left with? Well, I learned that I liked dealing with children upon taking a child psychology class. I also want summers off. I'm now majoring in education.
>>
>>34832456
I really appreciate your reply, your dancing coin friend has definitely given me something to consider. I think you're right about doing something you love and I need to focus more on that. The last part gives me hope, I might actually find and enjoy interaction with 'my own kind'.
Thanks for taking the time to write that and I wish you best of luck next year.
>>
>>34832821
cont.

I'm 24 and have been attending community college on and off for like 6 years now. I had some health issues and was NEET-like you for a long time, so yeah that's why I'm such a slowpoke. So yeah, to wrap things up, my journey of self-discovery was a long one. But I got there.

Last bit of advice, if you want to major in something that is not immediately job applicable, then go for it. Don't fall for STEM memes. If history is your passion, for example, then go for it. You'll learn to read, write, form arguments, and research. All valuable skills. You can become a teacher like me, or work in law enforcement. Many brainy LE jobs require BAs. They love people who can write well. You would be surprised at how many people cannot string together sentences.

If your passion lies in the arts or photography, then go for it. Again, you'll be able to put your knowledge to use in some form or another.
>>
>>34832821
>>34832952
Another lengthy reply with alot to consider, did not expect to get past 2 replies without some telling me to kilo myself. I think it's clear that I need to do some thinking about my qualities and what I really want. Wish someone would've told me that about counselors before I went through all that shit but I guess that's what I deserved for blindly thinking someone could point me in my exact direction in life. Thanks for the reply my man
>>
>>34833169
No problem, friend. Follow your passions. One of my favorite quotes is from this guy called Randy Pausch, now deceased, my teacher played his 'last lecture' video in class, and it had a profound impact on me. I actually encourage you to watch it, on your spare time. It's up on Youtube.

The summary of the video is that he advocates for people to chase their dreams. He says that karma will sort itself out in the end, and you'll find relationships. Everything falls into place IF you have the right attitude and pursue your passions. Pausch died relatively young, but he said, he achieved everything he wanted to achieve in his short life, and so he had no real regrets.

No one knows when their short time on Earth will come to an end. So don't live a life of regret. Chase your dreams. Make every day count.
>>
>>34831346
Do not, I repeat, do not go to college. It's a time and money sink.

Also do not follow your passions or some other bullshit. The time for following one's passions was back in the 1970s when "any college degree was a good degree".

get a forklift license(takes 2 weeks max) and work in a warehouse, then go into a skilled trade. Get in shape join the military. Anything but college.

Since you didn't attend college and instead fapped in you parent's basement the last 5 years, you are still ahead of 85% of college graduates who have 70k worth of non-dischargeable student debt.

Do not fall for the STEM meme.
All hard science undergrad degrees are worthless
CS is all Pajeets with H1B
Many engineering degrees are worthless
Undergrad Math is worthless

In this economy do not make a big time investment into education because by the time you get a degree the economy could change.

Here are some options that are better than college:
-comission based sales jobs(as long as it's not a multi-level-marketing scheme)
-military
-warehouse jobs/trades
>>
>>34833829
I'm the 'follow your passion' guy. You bring a more practical viewpoint to the conversation, and it's commendable. But not everyone is equipped to handle a military or tradesman job. Tradesmen jobs are also quickly become meme jobs. You're competing against undocumented immigrant in many parts of the country. Only some trades, in some areas, are in demand. Warehouse stuff is dead end, where dreams go to die.

If OP has some talanet like photography, he can be a crimescene guy, after doing some degree in media. Art//drawing - he can be one of those guys that sketches criminals. Even 'worthless' stuff has practical job applications. But OP doesnt know where his skills or passions lie, so no one can give him specific advice.

I will say however, it is a good idea to maybe work in the warehouse thing for 6 months, just to give you discipline and perspective. Maybe he'll learn that he doesn't want to be blue collar, and he'll take college that much more seriously. So on that note, I'll agree with you.

But yeah, let OP figure out his life. Only he can do it. Oh and it's a pretty god awful time to join the military. Trump is pretty bloodthirsty and trigger happy. He might get us into a war with Iran or North Korea any week now.

Don't get yourself killed, both in war, and in those meme trade jobs.
>>
>>34832456
what if I don't have any hobbies? I don't really enjoy anything and I don't have any talents. I spend most of my time here or sleeping. I'm worried that there is no place for me in this world.
>>
>>34834149
We're in a college education bubble. Once it implodes it's going to be ugly. By not attending college he's WAY ahead of anyone who went and frittered away their future earnings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OReAF9qwMkY

What he should do is find work immediately. Yes trademsen live a hard life but life in general is hard unless you're born into very fortunate circumstances.

These are hard times we're living through and they will continue to get harder over the course of at least the next decade. pic related
>>
>>34834287
I think you just lack direction, and lack life experience, to even know what you want out of life. That's not entirely your fault. But what is your fault, from this day forward, is sitting on your ass and not doing anything to figure things out. Your future job or partner is not going to literally land on your lap, in your basement. You have to get out there and get yours. Everyone has hobbies. Figure out whats yours.

>>34834631
True. I'm safe though because we always need teachers. People always shitting out kids. Once I get into a Union and get tenure, I'll be un-fireable. So whatever. Other college grads will get fucked though. I'm totally in agreement that there is a bubble. But that doesn't mean OP, should go do blue collar automatically. It's a false dichotomy. Life is too short to do grueling back breaking work. At least, I'm too good for it. But better luck to you blue collar folks.
>>
>>34834758
I have a job, and I live on my own. but I can tell I'm not happy, but I'm also not unhappy. I just merely exist.
>>
>>34834758
>I'm safe though because we always need teachers. People always shitting out kids.

How close are you to becoming a teacher?

Every single person I know who went and got their teaching certificate isn't even able to get on the substitute teaching list. I assure you, you're not as un-fireable as you think. The college education bubble is closely tied to the housing bubble. People compete to live in good areas and pay higher property taxes, to get their kids into good public schools, to send them to a top tier college. Public schools are almost entirely funded by property taxes.

Then there's the question of automation and the internet and lower birth rate, and baby boomers not retiring. Just so you know I tutor high school level science, though I didn't attend teacher's college. If I could do it over again I'd try to get into a blue-collar trade.
>>
>>34834952
I'm about 2 years out. I'm in CA and they make you go through hoops to get a teaching credential here. In most of the 50 States, you just get a BA and pass a pretty basic exam, and boom, you can get the interview. Here, you need the BA in order to take something called the CSET. It's basically a beefied up version of the SATs for teachers. Once you pass it, you apply for a credential program, and you need to do anywhere from 3-6 months of internship and pedagogy courses. Then they finally award you with a certificate, that's only temporary. You need to work 2 years before your 'clear' your credential and get a permanent certificate.

So yeah, teaching is taken very seriously in CA. But you get 45k starting and can move up the pay scale in 8 years, to make 90k -- double your starting salary. I think it'll be worth it. I hope to upgrade to some administrative paperwork job down the line. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

How is high school by the way? I'm doing elementary ed.
>>
>>34835054
I don't teach high school, you need to attend teacher's college over here in Canada which is 2 years on top of a bachelor's. You might as well get a master's degree in something more lucrative. So in the meantime I'm just tutoring for 25 bucks an hour.

So you're saying you don't need a teaching diploma in the US? Just the BA?
>>
>>34835182
You don't need a teaching diploma per se. The requirement is any BA. Then you show knowledge proficiency by passing the relevant exams for the subjects you which to teach. So yeah, you can be a holder of a BA in Art History, and still teach math, if you can pass the exams. It's more about demonstrating knowledge over here. I don't know if this is an odd system. The postgrad internship/pedagogy program does take 6-12 months (depending on how slow you are). So it's similar to your Canadian system, in that you could be doing a Master's with that time spent. Bit of a cost opportunity.
>>
File: Just kill me.jpg (53KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
Just kill me.jpg
53KB, 604x604px
>>34832456
Cheers mate.

Just started uni and even though I'm passionate about what I'm studying there are times when anxiety about the future fills me with dread.
>>
>>34832456
You literally sound like an older copy of me. I'm going to film school in vancouver next year, where are you headed?
>>
File: 1468525972389.jpg (45KB, 570x487px) Image search: [Google]
1468525972389.jpg
45KB, 570x487px
>>34834631
>uses pseudo-intellectual meme pic as evidence

Thanks for proving why attending University is the path to take.
>>
Do not go to college if you do not have a clear idea of what you want to do.

It will seriously fuck your life over and tie you down for the next 20 years at least.
>>
>>34837650
>>34837650
Define "clear idea"

A field of interest should suffice, no?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.