[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you feel about competition? How is anyone suppose to

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: competitors1.jpg (13KB, 300x299px) Image search: [Google]
competitors1.jpg
13KB, 300x299px
How do you feel about competition?

How is anyone suppose to make it with the sheer number of players in the game. Everything is a competition and the number keeps on growing as population refuses to go down.

Where is that mass plague when you need one.
>>
I'm pretty good player. But there's lots of baddies that bring the team down.
>>
competition should be avoided. to win should not be your goal. to be virtuous and good should be the goal.
>>
Of course winning is my goal lol
>>
it should instill feelings of futility in just about everybody

the system of nature is consistently working to make you obsolete. Honestly after so much thinking, the only thought that gives me comfort in the face of this bleak reality is the idea that I'm able to abstain from it all, but it's 2017 and we don't even have the right to a comfortable death.
>>
>>34763102
There isn't anything wrong with competition

The problem is when unnecessary competition is introduced into areas that it doesn't really belong into, e.g. making it nearly impossible to find a wife, buy a house or do any of the basic things in life

As far as competing to be successful and things like that go, having everyone try their hardest definitely has a positive impact overall
>>
>>34763175

>wife and house is a basic thing of life

Aha ha ha, no it's not.
>>
>>34763141
This. Victory means nothing. For how good you are, you can always think of a person that would be better than you, that person doesn't even need to exist. What then is so special about being the best at something if the only reason you're best is because no one else is better?

For every winner, there's dozens of losers, how does the world benefit by having competition? How is it sustainable for people to live for something only a fraction can obtain?

To strive for victory is foolish, live your life the best you can and seek to help others, not beat them.
>>
>>34763205
It used to be, and even in this generation most people will have it

It's not basic in the sense of being required for survival, but in our society it generally is something that is at the basis of most people's lives
>>
>>34763247
You're not really going to try if there's nothing to obtain. If there awas no competition people would work 20 hours a week, live in their own filth and die early.

Because they want to buy nice things, get an attractive partner or obtain social status they put in the work and take the risks, which overall makes for a higher standard of living for everyone

Competition is a useful tool, not a value in and of itself
>>
>>34763102
I find that competition is a good thing to an extent. Competition drives development and innovation, a good example being the space race of the 20th century where unprecedented amounts of knowledge were gained because NASA was in constant competition with the Soviet space program. Nowadays aside from SpaceX organizations like NASA and the ESA have really fallen from their glory days, even after things like Curiosity and the Juno probe. Too much however is a tad unhealthy and unnecessary.

>>34763247
I'd say that's a matter of personal preference.

>>34763521
You don't have to abide by those standards you know.
>>
>>34763597
That's true, however, competition should be done against yourself, not the competition OP talks about.
>>
>>34763623
>You don't have to abide by those standards you know

No, but they do appeal to basic human needs such as safety, positive human interaction, sex, producing offspring etc. If they didn't noone would want to obtain them. You can walk away from it but that will keep you from achieving some basic human needs

Also as far as space travel and research goes, whilst the percentage spending and public interest has decreased, the actual research is very much alive and going, and at a faster rate than ever. You probably don't even know about half of the missions that are ongoing or planned, most of them are fairly low profile
>>
>>34763698
So you mean setting and accomplishing more achievements for yourself? Nothing wrong with improving yourself any way you can. I just think that in general competition is a good thing, as well as something unavoidable.
>>
>>34763102
People are more dangerous when they work together fampai.
>>
>>34763698
You never really compete against yourself. You may struggle against your own psyche and urges in order to improve, but that is in the long term directed at improving according to a standard based on the performance of other humans.

Obviously there is no point competing against the best in the world if you're average, but that's not really what's happening. A working class child will measure its success relative to its peers, a college student will measure his athleticism compared to the other people in his sports club etc. By having competition in your own league you end up with a realistic rate of growth and can genuinely improve as a person

Those that over- or under-reach are those that end up poorly adjusted. Doesn't mean that they shouldn't compete against others in general
>>
Competition is essential to life. Anyone who says otherwise has been holding their hand out their whole lives never working for themselves.

1 million sperm down be kind and caring while selecting one to merge with the egg.

Your boss isnt going to choose their whole team to promote and give bonuses too regardless of individual effort.

Life is and always will be a competition, if you dont want to play then hide in your corner and hold your hand out praying somwone will continually care for you
>>
>>34763597
>You're not really going to try if there's nothing to obtain. If there awas no competition people would work 20 hours a week, live in their own filth and die early.

I do this not to compete, but because it is a matter of comfort and avoiding pain, in search of comfort and pleasure.
>>
>>34763842
You say that competition is needed to both ascertain your quality properly and to set an optimal pace of growth. However I'll ask you what happens if you're the best in your society and therefore this method gives you no incentive to keep improving. Or what if your society is growing very slowly and you believe you're growing sufficiently because you're comparing yourself to someone who's too weak.

How do you define league? If you include people who are better than you there is never any victory. If you include people who are worst then you are stagnating.
>>
>>34763932
>do this

You mean working 20 hours a week and living in your own filth?

That was the entire point, that's what happens if there's nothing to compete for, or it's unobtainable
>>
i used to be very competitive when i was a kid and a teenager. now i just don't give a fuck.
>>
>>34764138
No, I mean I strive for more than that, because living in my own filth/poverty is not uncomfortable. It is not that I think I need to achieve more than someone else; I need only to achieve what will bring me to a level of contentness.
>>
>>34764069
As a child your league will be others of similar talent. As you grow older that can shift towards more talented people, or you may fall behind.

Generally you will look at people of a similar level of performance at this time and then try to progress faster than them. At some point you will reach your limits of course and will not be able to keep up with much more talented people anymore

If you are the very best then there really isn't much competition. In that case you would just try to reach new heights, but you most likely wouldn't actually be performing to your full potential. There wouldn't have been a good way to raise you, as most education and training is designed for people around the average (assuming you're the most talented as well) or you've simple made more of yourself than most others

Obviously there's no guarantee that looking at your peers will exactly get the most out of you, but it generally works quite decently as it is a good motivator at least
>>
>>34764181
Sure, but even there is some competition. You're probably not achieving as much as someone with your level of talent could, but at least you're not wasting away either.

The degree to which people are motivated by the incentives provided will vary of course
>>
File: 1469568881395.gif (2MB, 270x138px) Image search: [Google]
1469568881395.gif
2MB, 270x138px
Competition is healthy in healthy doses (just like anything else)
Water is good for you too but too much and you'll die

If you are never competitive though you'll never push yourself to find your limits, instead you'll live in complacency and fear the challenge that escaping that monotony

Competition teaches you loss and victory (usually loss to be honest) and how to properly handle the emotions associated

When I ran XC and Track I always lost to someone else but sometimes I won to myself because I knew I did my actual best
My best never did (and never would've) beaten most the people I ran with but my competition was with my own body to see who would give out first
And when I won, I pushed my mind past my body's struggle, I would get to feel and measure my psychical limits (and improve them), which a really enriching experience
>>
>>34763882
that sperm got lucky though, so much depends on random chance
>>
Nigger wisdom is to "get in where you fit in". It's good advice; compete in a smaller group or find new competitions
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.