[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is asceticism so fucking hard and why pursuing it is frowned

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1486104368973.gif (248KB, 810x720px) Image search: [Google]
1486104368973.gif
248KB, 810x720px
Why is asceticism so fucking hard and why pursuing it is frowned upon? It's all about frugality and rejecting entertainment.
I ask this because I see it as the only viable option for robots, bitter or not. In practice you would gain full control of your life and women would stop being a problem forever. People's opinions would become irrelevant because it is expected to have your inner being fully ironed out. Jobs would stop being an issue.

It is fucking frustrating to get rid of vidya, junk food and whatever else that is seen as the modern generation's problem, but still unable to concentrate and focus enough to do something useful like studying or coding (can't "make" things since I am a NEET), and feeling abstinence of online interactions (can't tell if it is loneliness). Right now I can't enjoy anything, and despite this screaming DEPRESSION SYMPTOMS, I don't think that is it, and even if it is, I refuse to take medications.

How to achieve asceticism? My fundamental motivation is that I am tired of the social game, I refuse to play this bullshit game.

Self-improvement thread, I suppose.
>>
>>34745058
>How to achieve asceticism?
Read the Rule of St. Benedict.

>Start fasting. You should never feel full.
>Start only drinking water, occasionally tea, and a bit of wine a day.
>Start meditating/praying each day, for as long as you can manage. This timeframe will rapidly grow.
>Once you can get in a solid few hours of meditation/prayer in one sitting, you can manage to work properly.
>>
Are you religious?

I think the original purpose of asceticism was to shed yourself of worldly things and turn your mind to something higher.
It might be difficult to practice asceticism without a spiritual life. And prayer and meditation help immensely.

I think its all about stepping back and taking an objective view on life and desire.
Analyze how you feel when you crave something you know is killing you, and threatens your asceticism.
Meditate.
That's the only advice I can give.
>>
Just be Diogenes. Live in a barrel, talk shit to Alexander the Great, and jerk off in public.
>>
>>34745189
>Once you can get in a solid few hours of meditation/prayer in one sitting, you can manage to work properly.
If by praying and meditating you mean things like reciting them, or even doing rosaries several times a day, that is not hard.

>tea
I drink coffee all day, does that count? I will try reducing it just to give the rule a chance. Thank you.

>>34745221
Ever heard of catholics that never goes to church? so yeah...

>>34745287
Diogenes is awesome, he should be on the sticky.
>>
>>34745221
>I refuse to play this bullshit game.
Can't that be interpreted as a liberation from worldly things in order to achieve something higher?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.