[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you deal with the fact that you're just a collection

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10

File: chrome_2017-02-08_20-13-57.png (246KB, 299x430px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-02-08_20-13-57.png
246KB, 299x430px
How do you deal with the fact that you're just a collection of chemicals and electrical impulses?
>>
File: 1478436384423.png (102KB, 651x541px) Image search: [Google]
1478436384423.png
102KB, 651x541px
>>34730203
The collection of chemicals and electrical impulses do it for me.
>>
>>34730238
I can't stop thinking about it and panicking and destroying all of the conceptions I had of this world. It's very scary.
>>
Just the same as if I was a collection of a physical body and a immaterial soul.

The experience of living is hell either way.
>>
It's kind of comfy knowing I'm made of trillions of cells, and each cell is made of trillions of atoms, and each atom is made of a bunch of elementary particles.
>>
File: 1485030629703.png (67KB, 230x230px) Image search: [Google]
1485030629703.png
67KB, 230x230px
>>34730254
>babby's first existencial crisis
Enjoy it, I guess.
>>
>>34730272
But I can't even feel sad or happy, or human at all. This isn't hell, it's purgatory.
>>
>>34730203
by rejecting the idea.

If youre nothing more than a slave to your biology then youre not human. Youre barely even an animal.
>>
>>34730290
Everyone is a slave to their biology. People who can't accept it just distract themselves from the fact to avoid pain.
>>
>>34730284
Why do you people do this? Put someone down for being new to a concept that's only commonly explored in early adulthood for the first time?
>>
>>34730314
But you can still ignore and overcome your primal instincts... right?
>>
>>34730314
Temperance, chastity and virtue contradict that. If you exercise asceticism then how are you a slave to biology? Youre rejecting what your biology wants you to do.
>>
>>34730203
I deal with it by realising if I do it right I don't have that great an impact on the universe, meaning I can not worry about things I do creating bigger problems.
>>
>>34730203
No matter how simple you can make our composition seem like, you cannot deny that we're very complex creations. A brush is merely a stick and some fibers, but what it can create is astounding.
>>
>>34730203
I am me and that's okay.
>>
File: 3e84e32981ab35e5f91e117af45c2443.png (750KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
3e84e32981ab35e5f91e117af45c2443.png
750KB, 1200x1200px
>>34730332
>Why do you people do this?
Amusement, for (you).
>Put someone down for being new to a concept that's only commonly explored in early adulthood for the first time?
Because I feel smugly superior for reaching these conclusions in late childhood. My sense of superiority derived from being intellectually beyond my peers boosts my fragile ego.
>>
>>34730384
But in this mindset that I can't seem to escape out of, I don't find anything beautiful, because when I do enjoy something my brain reminds me I'm somehow evolutionarily predisposed to do so.
>>
>>34730203
How do you deal with having the philosophy of a high schooler?
>>
>>34730446
I just feel like some automaton who just makes vibrations to convey information and that there should be something magical and beautiful outside of this trap called human existence.
>>
>>34730411
This is what I suspected but I was hoping you would pretend it wasn't true.

You've out (you)'d me my friend
>>
>>34730359
Only part of your biology. You are conforming to another part of your biology.
>>
>>34730547
How is rejecting your biology a part of your biology? What purpose does it serve?
>>
I became a synic, then a nihilist, when that became too depressing, I became an absurdist. That's working out fine. I'd say you should read some philosophy.
>>
File: 1486336895930.jpg (43KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1486336895930.jpg
43KB, 640x360px
>>34730359
>Temperance, chastity and virtue contradict that
Not really. The human mind and its schemas are malleable and develop according to the environment. It's why humans take so long to mature, it would be a lot faster for a purely instinctual creature. It's not unexpectable for these things to turn up at some point either.
>If you exercise asceticism then how are you a slave to biology? Youre rejecting what your biology wants you to do.
No, because the part of your personal biology that makes you value asceticism is making you become an ascetic.

>>34730335
Instincts, maybe, but not your core schemas. The parts of your mind that define you as a person, your personality, your likes and dislikes, the strength of your will, your motivations and so forth. Even if you make an attempt at changing some of these, you're making the attempt specifically because these things are making you do it.
>>
>>34730359
You are your biology. Nothing is rejecting anything.
>>
>>34730664
If so, how do I cope with this?
>>
>>34730203
What do you mean "deal with"? Are you implying it's a bad thing? My parents raised me with that knowledge, and I've never had a problem with it.
>>
>>34730737
It feels like the magic and emotions of life are now drained, and I have no motivation. There is no intrinsic reason to do anything. I feel as if human beings weren't built to realise this.
>>
>>34730772
I think that's just the mental shock of adapting to a new worldview. Over time you'll probably get used to it. The shock is also probably what's killing your motivation; it's difficult to want to do things when you're stressed. Once your mind adjusts itself, you'll probably want to do things again.
>>
>>34730816
How do I deal with the fact that the people I know and love are just pieces of flesh and I am evolutionarily wired to love them as a function to survive and it isn't genuine?
>>
>>34730772
>there is no intrinsic reason to do anything

well yeah so just do whatever you want.
>>
File: 1484857264137.jpg (109KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1484857264137.jpg
109KB, 1280x720px
>>34730710
Nihilism.

originaliomio
>>
>>34730864
Why isn't it genuine? What does "genuine" even mean?
>>
>>34730908
But I don't feel like doing anything, I find it hard to enjoy things that I used to.
>>
>>34730568
You are rejecting the instinctual part in favor of the thinking. Your thinking should have led you to realize that your consciousness is biologically determined.
>>
>>34730944
Love feels like an amazing thing, but I realise it's all a trick. Thus I lose my interest in being alive.
>>
>>34731005
Everything is just a "trick". Nothing has value, but everything is equal in their valuelessness.
>>
>>34731005
Who is tricking whom? It's not a trick, it's just not what you expected.

Think of it this way: you come across a beautiful painting, but then you realize that the painting is just pigments and canvas. Is the painting now ugly? Of course not.
>>
>>34730203
I take hallucinogenic drugs to make me feel like I matter
>>
File: 1485015508193.jpg (135KB, 1268x884px) Image search: [Google]
1485015508193.jpg
135KB, 1268x884px
>>34730411
That must really suck.
I wish I never thought about it/saw it written on this anime image board.

Life was better when I was totally lost as to what other human beings are.
>>
>>34731066
Of course not, but... I don't find anything beautiful when I think like this. Of course I have memories of finding things beautiful.
>>
>>34730332
>early adulthood
More like early teenagehood, if you only have it during your adulthood, then you're a filthy normie.
>>
>>34730411
>My sense of superiority derived from being intellectually beyond my peers boosts my fragile ego
Robots are more intelligent than the normies around them, at least in high school, this is expected of you.
>>
>>34730864
>Not using it as a guide to love them even more
>Not seeing it as the purest form of love
>Not disregarding relationships with others

It lets you see what's really valuable in this life.
>>
>>34731116
Like I said, you're still in shock. Give it a few months and you won't care. Some more examples:

>You enjoy playing a video game. You open up the executable in a hex editor and see it's all just numbers. Is the game still fun?

>You enjoy a song, but you realize it's just a vibrating speaker cone. Is the song still enjoyable?

You're conflating subjective and objective things. "Love" describes the subjective experience. What that experience is objectively made of, is irrelevant to the value of the experience itself.
>>
>>34731163
I think you're right. I've just been in this tunnel vision recently.
>>
>>34730203
that's not proven. read 'what is it like to be a bat' by Thomas Nagel..

tl;dr: the materialist conception of the world has no way to explain the qualitative experience of consciousness itself
>>
>>34731122
>>34730411
>IQ of 130+
>Went to Gifted classes when I was a kid
>Only have this belief because of you fuckers

It's really a matter of environment.
If the stars align, you'll realize it.
There are people that never have this epiphany that are far smarter than all of us.
>>
none of you fuckers are real and neither am I
fuck descartes and his bullshit
>>
>>34731294
OP here, I'm also Mensa-tier gifted, it just never crossed my mind, and when it did it really hit.
>>
>>34731210
I think a lot of this is to do with modern culture de-emphasizing physical reality in favor of social constructs. If you look back in history, things like "blood", "seed", and "kin" become much more important. Nowadays people focus on things like "culture" and "ideology" which have no real, physical roots. There are plenty of things to value in the physical realm, it's just that nobody talks about them anymore. We've taken quite a few steps in the wrong direction as a society, and this is one of them.
>>
>>34731306
Metaphysical nihilism is GOAT-tier. Uprooting other people's philosophical constructs is the most satisfying mental exercise.
>>
>>34731294
Yes, naturally. I think that's a conclusion that most intelligent people will eventually come to. That the wisdom of an individual is very dependent on their environment and that intelligence alone does not guarantee wisdom, even if it does predispose one to it. I'd probably be a lot more foolish and less "smart" were I a normalfag and didn't spend my time occasionally exchanging ideas on a Czechoslovakian APC-mounted recoilless-rifle discussion page. I still feel superior about it though, since being humble gives me no advantage and only brings me harm.
>Went to Gifted classes when I was a kid
Man, I wish we had some of those here. I'd have received so much more from my education had I been taken out of the normal class and pushed into something more demanding.
>>
>>34730203
I dont
Thats one original meatball
>>
>>34731643
It wasn't exactly demanding, but I did meet all of my friends in there.

It was the only time I was happy to be in school.
>>
>>34732005
>It wasn't exactly demanding
It must've been better than ordinary class though, right? With teachers and resources focused on helping the poor performers reach somewhere close to a miserable average, kids who could actually excel are just kept back. The only subject where I received any support in outperforming the class was in English where the teacher would just dump extra workbooks onto me to keep me occupied.
>>
>>34730290
You're a poor little filthy animal, if you are right about this.
>>
>>34730203
Pretty good fampai. Who doesn't love chemicals and electricity? ZAAAP
>>
>>34732244
zap zap i-i guess
>>
>>34730203
How else could you exist? It's the collection of those that make you exist not making you just made of chemicals and electrical impulses.

You are THE combination of chemicals and electrical impulses, or else you wouldn't be anything at all.
>>
>>34730405
Why was this ignored? Simple and endearing but it works. For the most part.
>>
>>34730203
Feels like I've lost the childish sense of self-importance to be bothered by being 'just x'
>>
>>34730428
>my brain reminds me I'm somehow evolutionarily predisposed to do so
but what's wrong with this? are you upset about the idea that your choices may not be your own at the most basic level?
>>
>>34733246
Yes, that's exactly what.
>>
File: Berserk_-_Guts.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Berserk_-_Guts.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
You are worthless

Everything is pointless, HOWEVER, if there is any meaning to be derived from the universe, whether from within or from outside through some universal truth or embrace, YOU ARE WORTHLESS

You do not deserve it

You do not deserve salvation

This is easy to accept because among all fleeting feelings, this understanding and meekness from worthlessness is one thing that stays consistent. No matter what day, what hour, you may be distracted by revelations of other kinds but you will always revert to knowing that you are doing to die, be forgotten, and that there's nothing particularly WRONG about it.

From this we can derive an endless supply of negativity, resentment- bad feelings altogether. Too much to take on a constant basis.

What is there to do? You, the name you go by, it drags you down. Because this revelation doesn't only bring misery in its first wave, but it detracts from your experience of life altogether in a way others can sense.

What is there to do? Life is meaningless. You have no stake in it. Even if you fooled yourself into valuing family or success, it's temporary. It ends, and nothing universally true comes forth from it. Nothing as strong and reliable as the embracing of value-lessness

So what do you do?

When I was around 10, the idea I went with is "Okay, I want to kill myself."
I didn't kill myself literally, but I was no longer invested in me. I was no longer my body. No longer my identity. Just whatever fucking entity that floats in there, observing.

Not only that, but if you just continue going with your body knowing hopelessness, it gets boooooring. Really fucking boring.

And you still resent valuelessness despite embracing it. Fuck this world for not having value, fuck this world for not giving you a chance, fuck no salvation. Just fuck it, I hate it, I want to ruin it, I want reality to in of itself suffer for its own existence.

tl;dr: embrace madness
>>
>>34733425
That's fucking cringy dude.
>>
File: B1uge58CMAEP4vK.jpg (41KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
B1uge58CMAEP4vK.jpg
41KB, 600x300px
>2017
>not believing we have a soul
>>
>>34733455
I unironically love sonic too
>>
>>34730664
>The parts of your mind that define you as a person, your personality, your likes and dislikes, the strength of your will, your motivations and so forth. Even if you make an attempt at changing some of these, you're making the attempt specifically because these things are making you do it.

Knowing this, try to justify punishing criminals. Come on cucks, try it.
>>
>>34730203
Simplify: Quarks and bosons
>>
>>34730203

I listen to Alan Watts and Buddhism stuff.
>>
>>34733401
Your learned behavior is conflicting with your more primal impulses. Cortex vs reptile brain.
Is being a mere human (and all that entails) not enough for you?
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.