[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is "following your dreams" a meme or is it true?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: Schopenhauer.jpg (14KB, 300x358px) Image search: [Google]
Schopenhauer.jpg
14KB, 300x358px
Is "following your dreams" a meme or is it true?

I used to think it was a meme, but I'm reconsidering. My passions are for history, philosophy, and literature, but I decided to major in something with a definite career path ( I don't want to teach) since I figured I could just study and write about those things in my spare time until I turned it into a means of profit.

Now I'm getting close to graduating and people are asking me why I bothered going through all this trouble if it wasn't even my main focus in life. They warn me that I won't have any time to do with I like so I'll probably be unhappy.
>>
>>34717492
There's this weird intangible thing called luck anon. It's a friend or foe.

My only advice would be to luck at the statistics. Also, survivor bias. Only those who achieved their dreams really contrast.
>>
Just stick to your decision, you'd probably end up starving/homeless if you "follow your dreams", it's a complete meme
>>
File: Cute Pepe.png (11KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Cute Pepe.png
11KB, 500x500px
>>34717492
It's too late to change now. Just go with your original plan to get a definite career path and do those others things in your spare time.
Worst case scenario, you end up hating the career you go into, so you save up money and go back to college, but with some financial security this time.
>>
File: 1485317366224.jpg (24KB, 381x396px) Image search: [Google]
1485317366224.jpg
24KB, 381x396px
>>34717492
Similar situation here. In high school I loved music but didn't want to be poor so I studied comp sci in uni. In uni I started to get passionate about cooking but still didn't want to be poor so I stuck with comp sci even though I was completely miserable doing it. Now I've graduated and gotten a software dev job at a prestigious company but the work is often frustrating and I'm really not as excited about it as my coworkers. At least I'm not poor.
>>
I am in the same boat.

I do not think knawledge should cost anything. Auto didactism should be a thing.

There are tons of resources available now more than ever to educate yourself and participate in discussion over things like history, philosophy, and literature.

What career/major did you go for anon?

I'm thinking about doing computer science.
>>
>>34717492
Holy shit this thread is depressing.

Why isn't suicide legal. If you will just come short of your dreams, there's no point living.

Hell, just waiting for the right time.

Unless you have a vivid imagination, which is a great substitute, but that's incredibly rare.
>>
>>34717648
>I'm thinking about doing computer science.
The field is getting super saturated. By the time you graduate, it probably won't be the guaranteed good living it seems to be today. In fact, people are already beginning to have a hard time finding work. Unless you plan to get a Master's degree and specializing in security or something, you should consider picking a different major.
>>
I don't have any dreams, at least none that are based solidly enough in reality to follow.
>>
>>34717648
I went into Accounting

Its not the worst job in the world, but because of technological improvements in the last twenty years normies are capable of doing it now and there's a billion hoops to jump through to become certified

>There are tons of resources available now more than ever to educate yourself and participate in discussion over things like history, philosophy, and literature.

I'm a listener of Stefan Molymeme and although I disagree with him on a bunch of things I believed him when he said that you can make a greater impact independently by putting content on the internet then by teaching or doing research in a university
>>
Dreams are a meme anyways because there is no free will so these dreams you formed are just a result of your circumstances.
>>
It really depends what your dreams are anon.

I know its cliche as fuck but you do only live once. Why not take the chance? If you fail you can still get some menial job to pay the bills later in life.

If I had a dream I'd rather try for it and fail than spend my whole life wondering what if.
>>
>>34717766
Once you've achieved some amount of material comfort, the thought of risking it to follow a dream is too terrifying to seriously consider doing it.
>>
>>34717766
The nature of my field is such that it is always changing and requiring updated education which means that you pretty much have to start out of college to keep yourself in the loop.

There's no option at this point (beyond throwing my last four years in the garbage) than to continue on and do what I like in my own time but as >>34717804 said I already see myself hampered by fear of losing access to money

It is true that you only live once, but you can interpret that as well to mean you should play it smart so you spend less time struggling
>>
File: 4d7.png (825KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
4d7.png
825KB, 700x700px
>>34717719
I want to do security because pic related. I'm pretty sure cyber security has a positive job growth outlook. I also would like to employ my language skills possibly contributing to comparative literature or linguistics or philosophy. I'm still at babby's first and I really don't want to start with the greeks but oh well.

In any case I have alot of ideas I want to do but I realize that money is important.

Luckily my passions are super sustainably cheap. I want to build trails and shit, ride bikes, read/write philosophy and watch anime.

Too bad I play video games every waking moment of my life.
>>
>>34717765
Lack of free will doesn't actually make a practical difference though. Unless you let it, like some kind of lazy hopeless bitch
>>
File: 1476043920659.jpg (99KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1476043920659.jpg
99KB, 500x500px
>>34718190
>le hacker xD
>>
>>34717492
I feel the exact same way. I hate what I'm studying so much that it distracts me during class, and my financial situation doesn't allow me to change my course of study. Autodidacticism doesn't cut it because you can't meaningfully engage with the cutting-edge in these fields unless you've been formally trained, so I'm essentially locked out of the things I love.

I fee
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.