[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does it really mean to be yourself? Beyond whatever normies

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10

File: 1479003055539.png (379KB, 1024x971px) Image search: [Google]
1479003055539.png
379KB, 1024x971px
What does it really mean to be yourself?

Beyond whatever normies think they're saying when they say it, what does it really mean? Are we being ourselves right now?
>>
File: 1461613149469.jpg (35KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
1461613149469.jpg
35KB, 600x315px
>>34711622
>What does it really mean to be yourself?

I'll tell you the absolute truth right now. You ready?

Be yourself means don't pretend to be someone else because you won't be able to keep it up for long before she sniffs out who you actually are.

At least if you're acting like yourself there's a chance a woman will actually be into that, but that totally depends on how autistic you and they are or how autistic you aren't and they aren't. Or are and aren't, or aren't and are.
>>
>>34711622

Be yourself means "I don't really have any advice for you so I'll give you an answer that doesn't really have any weight to it.
>>
File: heidegger-crop.jpg (356KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
heidegger-crop.jpg
356KB, 1024x768px
>>34711824
>>34711716
That's not what I meant.

I meant in a context broader than girls and socializing what does being yourself mean?
>>
>>34711868
It literally means don't be someone you aren't, which is also the same thing as don't be someone you can't be, because it's physically impossible.
>>
>>34711886
>It literally means don't be someone you aren't,
But that just poses another question. How do I know who I really am, or how can I distinguish "myself" from "not-myself"?
>>
File: 1485733434838.png (651KB, 838x722px) Image search: [Google]
1485733434838.png
651KB, 838x722px
it means to not give a fuck what others think about you.
>>
>>34711940
>How do I know who I really am, or how can I distinguish "myself" from "not-myself"?

You only have an idea of yourself, which is your ego. Your ego exists so you can function in the world without going completely nuts.

Strip away your ego and you'll become a depressed sack of shit and nobody wants that.
>>
>>34711992
What others think about you is usually more true than what you think about yourself. That doesn't answer anything, and nobody actually takes this advice seriously, most of all the people trying to give it to someone.
>>
>>34711940
You do that by introspecting and spending hours upon hours of thinking about shit you did, but not to cringe, or feel ashamed or whatever, but to UNDERSTAND what makes you do the things you do.

Once you understand what makes you, you, why you do the shit you do and why you think the way you do, you can slowly start changing yourself if you wish so.

Thing is, most people are so busy doing what society tells them they never get the time or opportunity to even discover or understand themselves.

Suddenly they have X degree, or Y career or Z spouse in G location and they dont even know why. That shit usually ends badly.
>>
>>34711886
What if I'm an asshole, or at least, a boring fuck, genuinely? Should I just kill myself?
>>
>>34712022
Truth is getting the results in life you want. Everyones 'truth' is based on social construct and how they see their own lives.
>>
>>34712035
>Should I just kill myself?

First I have to ask you why you would think that's an opinion for being an asshole or boring.

>>34712044
Basically, yeah.

Life is weird and almost inexplicable. It's not supposed to make sense, and that's what frightens people.
>>
It's the most retarded piece of advice ever because you literally can't be anything but yourself. But if you could, then it'd be dumb to just be yourself unless yourself is the best you can get. There's many people you should be instead of yourself if given the option.
>>
It doesn't mean anything. It's just meaningless "advice" that can be taken any old way, or no way at all. That way the person giving the "advice" doesn't have to actually know anything about the issues you're facing, and shirks responsibility for offering bad advice that you might end up following, because "be yourself" is not real advice at all.

It's just a silly platitude. Don't waste so much time analyzing it.
>>
>>34711622
You do have a lot of selves, actually: To somebody, you are a colleague, to somebody, you are a friend, and to somebody, you are a son or daughter. You decide what kind of person you want to be to everybody you meet.
Being yourself for me means that all these different pages you show belong to one coherent book, that there is a storyline between them that makes sense to the only person that knows all of them: you.
>>
File: 983421.jpg (68KB, 473x421px) Image search: [Google]
983421.jpg
68KB, 473x421px
It literally means just that. Just be yourself. It only works with roasties and Chads because they can act obnoxious like pic related and still get positive attention simply because they're attractive.
>>
>>34711716
but being myself doesnt include talking to women
>>
File: 1486347211311.gif (293KB, 1006x800px) Image search: [Google]
1486347211311.gif
293KB, 1006x800px
>>34711622
>Are we being ourselves right now?
I feel like I had a sudden insight recently.
You're always being yourself, even when not acting like what you PERCEIVE as you "self".
A lot of robots believe in determinism, that their whole life was basically set in stone from the moment they were born. If that's true, then every action you make is part of your 'self'. It was always an action you were going to take. You can't even NOT bee urself.
Which of course is why that normie advice is so fucking unless. I already am being myself, telling me to be myself doesn't change anything.

Maybe I'm just being retarded though.
>>
>>34712092
These platitudes are somewhat like art:
> The real meaning lies in what questions and thoughts the piece of art invokes in the watcher.
That's why I like coming here: There will always be interesting questions on r9k
>>
Its actually a mechanism to weed out who are the actual losers and who are the alpha males.
>>
>>34712139
That's something you can change by actually taking to a woman.
>>
>>34712106
>To somebody, you are a colleague, to somebody, you are a friend, and to somebody,
Where do you think you are?
>>
>>34711622
just something attractive people say.

they think acting naturally gets you women, when its really their looks. just look at any tinder thread on here where someone makes a fake profile and spouts the dumbest shit ever and still gets girls numbers
>>
>>34712140
Do you subscribe to string theory or extra-dimensions in any way?
>>
>>34712162
But I dont want to. Women are scary
>>
>>34712139
Give me a step by step guide or post your last conversation with a real woman
>>
>>34712068
Well, how do you be "yourself" if negativity is etched to your personality? Shouldn't it be better to fake being good, or as they say "fake it until you make it."

That's why I said it's better to kill yourself than be yourself if you're an asshole or loser who won't improve or can't fake it.

I think the "be yourself" thing is misguided in that it only accounts for people with good personalities. If "yourself" is a depressive loser, then being yourself is a bad thing with other people.

I know that self improvement exists, and that obviously, you can remove it, but being "yourself" when you have a bad personality is idiotic.

This is because I think some robots be negative personalities, so they should try to improve themselves before they can be themselves.
>>
File: 1486471210252.jpg (19KB, 384x500px) Image search: [Google]
1486471210252.jpg
19KB, 384x500px
>>34712187
>string theory or extra-dimensions
I'm not good with maths. I don't even understand what string theory is and my thoughts on dimensions other than our own are just for escapism, like "wouldn't it be nice to have things be just like in muh animes".
>>
It's a fraud. I don't know who I am, maybe I never did.
When I was a child I used to be happy and socialize with people. I was curious, gullible and honest.
I don't know when it really begun, but people started to abuse these aspects of me.
It never happened when I was alone with a friend, it was always groups.
There was always something that made me the target of humiliation and riddicule.
And that was my innocence.
I started to lie to people, because I was afraid of telling the truth.
I started to pay close attention to my looks, so I could paint an image of myself that wouldn't be such an easy target.
I became aggressive with people.
None of it helped, because in my core I was still that stupidly naive little boy, who wanted to get along with everyone.
Now I'm just cynical and unhappy.
I'm on antipsychotics just to function, I feel like I'm going to burst into tears any minute.
I can't take it anymore.
All the people I know have a different image of me, image that I can't keep up anymore.
I'm tired of pretending to be something I am not.
But this world doesn't want my kind.
People like me get chewed and spit out.
There is nothing for me here.
>>
File: 10th_dimension.jpg (24KB, 1366x362px) Image search: [Google]
10th_dimension.jpg
24KB, 1366x362px
>>34712230
You don't have to understand maths to get the gist of string theory.

Basically string theory states that there are something like 12 dimensions, and in higher dimensions (I think it's 4 or 5) is the dimension of duration (of time.)

Basically in this dimension you exist as every plank frame you've ever existed in, from birth to death, all there with each other in simultaneous existence. If this is the case, determinism is true and we're basically just riding a track that's already been laid out for us.

So you're right when you say you can't be anyone but yourself, in more ways that one actually.
>>
>>34712140
It means go with the preordained hard-wiring your were born with in your interactions with others.

That's what it is to be yourself.

Don't become "Mr. Cool" when you're the farthest possible thing from him; people will see through that, and they'll have disdain for your dishonesty. If you're a nervous faggot, be a nervous faggot.

It's foolish to pretend otherwise, and you'll likely hate the people that buy into your facade.
>>
>>34712176
There will always be some edgy teenager lurkers watching, or some failed normies. Do you know you it can actually hurt people if you do not acknowledge their existence in your life? I mean look at what you have.
>To any actual robots: Sorry for lurking
>>
File: 1486265763926.gif (66KB, 699x800px) Image search: [Google]
1486265763926.gif
66KB, 699x800px
>>34712321
Oh alright, that makes sense I guess.
Feels good being right in some sense then.

>>34712326
>It means go with the preordained hard-wiring your were born with in your interactions with others.
I guess I was taking "Be yourself" too literally from their advice. If they meant that then they should have just said that instead of a vague "be urself"
Fucking normies.
>>
>>34712229
>Well, how do you be "yourself" if negativity is etched to your personality?

Yourself is that negative person, but negativity can be due to a lot of things, and it can be temporary.

I wouldn't say kill yourself because you're a bad person or think you're a bad person, unless you're a serial killer or a pedophile or something. It entirely depends on what's making you a "bad" person.

Bad people can have be good friends with other bad people.
>>
>>34712391
And I should add that bad people can also be friends and interact with good people.
>>
>>34712140
>>34712326
Be yourself is relatively simple, but what will always confound me is the phrase

"Find yourself"

That's total fucking bull-shit.
>>
>>34711622
people like other people that are genuine and honest
if your honest opinion isnt just being douchey just for the sake of being douchey worth while people wont throw a fucking fit over you having it
>>
>>34712455
>people like other people that are genuine and honest

This is the biggest lie ever. People love to be lied to, and they love lying to themselves even more.
>>
>>34712437
I think that's more referring to finding out how you react/cope with different situations, it's just a really faggy way of putting it.

If I was a NEET and I managed to land a job as a warehouse worker and found out that I was gifted at logistics, I would 'find myself' in the sense that I found out something about myself that I previously could not have known.
>>
Basically it means dont act like an autist and you will get laid.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.