[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has a work of fiction had a profound effect on your personality?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: 1447586258068.jpg (274KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1447586258068.jpg
274KB, 1280x720px
Has a work of fiction had a profound effect on your personality? What's your philosophy for surviving as a robot?

I used to be so strung up about trying to do the "right" thing, where the "right" thing was connected to the "normal" thing. I would try to emulate whomever I was around because I was desperate to fit in. I felt like I needed to stop browsing 4chan, to quit video games, to move out from my parents, and to find a girlfriend. I was convinced that nothing would accept me and that failure to do these things meant I was a failure. That changed after reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by PKD. For those of you who have not read, it's a keystone sci-fi novel that Blade Runner is loosely based on. In it, they have a religion of Mercerism. I've modeled my own philosophy based on it. Now I always try to do my best in life, even the things that I do not want to do. If my best is not good enough, I cannot fault myself because I know that was my limit. Mercer says that we all have to do things antithetical to our own nature, which as a robot is a lot ("You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity"). And no matter if my best is not good enough or that I have to hurt myself as I live, that someone (perhaps the abstract notion of someone) will accept me for who I am, and that I don't need to reject myself. My ideas are not completely in-line with the story, but it was the basis. Also in the book, there are "specials" that have absorbed too much radiation and remind me like some of the low functioning robots that post here.
>>
>>34689556
>t. sophomore who just got into literature and thinks this is incredibly deep
>>
>>34689556
yeah, i was living at home and my life wasn't going anywhere, so I read Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead repeatedly until I got a job at a startup company and achieved self respect and independence.
>>
I guess the closest would be Natural Born Killers. That life can and should be disposed of like that, just for fun if nothing else, is something I admire. Something I also aspire to is to write something that would have a similar effect that this work of art had on me. I.e. to show the glory of torturing other lifeforms. Why would you do something like that? Well, for fun, if nothing else. This idea though, I will admit, is tantalizing in fiction moreso than in real life. But it is tantalizing, and I believe that no one yet has done it justice the way it should be done.
>>
>>34689650
I've graduated uni, but thanks for the reply
>>
File: WRk2uuF.png (376KB, 955x537px) Image search: [Google]
WRk2uuF.png
376KB, 955x537px
tanaka-kun made me want to be as apathetic as possible
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.