[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there currently any scientific studies being done to bring

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

Are there currently any scientific studies being done to bring people back from the dead?
>>
>>34673320
this is a weird thread to post on r9k so I feel obligated to ask "why"
>>
>>34673320
There's research in crypnic freezing. Which will eventually be beinging people back from the dead.

But we've got our revival tech as good as it's going to get for quite a long time.
>>
>>34673339
Why wouldn't we at least be interested in it?
>>
>>34673382
What does it involve? What would it take to improve our technology?
>>
>>34673417
When I die I don't want to be brought back to life.
>>
>>34673320
Why would anyone want more of this hell?
>>
>>34673446
Why? What's the point?
To relive this shit again?
>>
>>34673432
I'm sure you're familiar with the concept of cryonic freezing. They freeze your body and you wake up in the future where technology is better. Currently there are no guarantees that you will wake up, and the first ones in will likely be the last ones out. The technology is primitive and will damage the body a lot. As such they are only allowed to freeze bodies that are already dead. So like a terminal illness or something.

And ignoring future magic it's not really possible to bring back someone who has been dead for awhile. We've maxed out the time that we can revive someone without long term negative effects from them being dead. If someone is brain dead they are likely to stay dead. Even if they are revived lack of oxygen to the brain causes brain damage.
>>
There's probably quite a bit being done on attempts to revive people who've suffered brain death moments prior, but I don't think there's much real research or work being done on raising ancient Egyptians.

Probably the best 'scientific' source on this sort of thing would be Frank J. Tipler and his writings on the Omega Point.

The idea is that human beings will eventually use technology and probes to take over the cosmos, bring it under complete conscious control, and then use that control to probe the past, re-create models of the dead, and bring them back to life.

I'd much prefer to leave things up to God, though. Do you really want human beings to gain that power, when human beings believed in things like "Hell" being morally just?
>>
I don't think it's possible.
What it is that forms, not just a human, but a 'person' in the terms which we define are not their physicality, but the electrical impulses which manifest within the brain during gestation. In the medical community the definition of death isn't actually when your heart stops beating, it's when your brain stops registering activity, hence why you can artificially keep a person alive who's heart has stopped functioning but who's brain is still functioning.

Your brain can actually survive approx. 6 minutes without oxygen before it begins undergoing catastrophic rates of cell death. If we were even capable of reviving decaying tissues whose enzymatic structures collapsed to goop long before, whatever it was we brought back would not be the person they were before.

You, I and all of us in this thread, everything that defines as who we are are only a collection of experiences layered one after the other. Can you still remain you once those experiences have gone? No. What you'd bring back wouldn't be that person, it's be a decayed, adult-baby.
>>
Well if your heart goes into cardiac arrest they can do CPR to try and get it going again, but other than that you are dead. Cryonics is a meme rn, maybe in the future idk.

>>34673554
You can't believe in god and not hell lol.
Also whether or not hell is for eternity or not is debated among scholars and differs between religions, also some believes in different levels of punishment, so only the worst will burn for all of eternity, probably serial killers idk.
>>
>>34673652

>You can't believe in god and not hell lol.

Yes you can. There are already multiple Christian denominations which don't believe in Hell.

I'm someone who believes in God, and in Christ - but I don't believe in Hell.
>>
>tfw friends dog died this week
>tfw I remember when he got her

Time never slows down eh?
>>
>>34673753
>time never slows down eh?

It can't. Time is conceptual :^)
>>
>>34673722
Which denomination are you? How do you even pick one; just the one that morally connects to you the most? Look at the world around you, it isn't exactly rainbows and unicorns, bad things happen and god allows it, is hell really that absurd of a concept? Do you think those who murder ruthlessly are given amnesty?
>>
>>34673784

I don't have a denomination and I wouldn't recommend picking one.

Yes, suffering and evil exists and God allows\causes it. There are people who've been burnt to death. This doesn't mean that God would allow people to suffer for eternity.

The issue is that even if you believe the NT canonical gospels are authentic - they do not teach the reality of Hell. The doctrine of Hell is something that's been imposed upon these documents, hence the word "Hell" rather than the different greek and hebrew words that are replaced by this English word.

In Genesis, God shows love and compassion towards Cain after he has slain his brother.
>>
>>34673773
False. Time moves quicker where there is more gravity.
>>
>>34673649
So, in other words, everything about life is decided by neurology? It already seems like we know so little about it.
>>
Only magical things can do that.

Sciency, we can save brains in goop and they can stay alive that way.
>>
>>34673927
You mean you perceive your concepts of time operating a faster rate in which there's more gravity?
>>
It's not possible unless their memory was downloaded into a computer and uploaded unto a biological host.
>>
>>34673320
There is research being done on lengthening people's lives but bringing people back from the dead doesn't seem like a big focus in medical research to me
>>
>>34674111
Well, how are memories stored?
>>
>>34674268

On to a hard drive and then we can figure out how to imprint it into a have biological half mechanical brain in a host body.
>>
>>34674268
If you miss even one then you're no longer you.
>>
>>34674339

It won't be perfect of course it'll just be a simacrulum.
>>
>>34673320
>Are there currently any scientific studies being done to bring people back from the dead?
YES
>>
>>34673320
The brain is too complex and also in costant decay to bring it back.
Consider that our current CPR techniques are just a lousy attempt comparable to rebooting a computer hoping for the best.
>>
File: 1485063360684.jpg (25KB, 418x475px) Image search: [Google]
1485063360684.jpg
25KB, 418x475px
scientists / medical practitioners can hardly repair someone who is still alive that's had there brain deprived of oxygen for 10 minutes

if there were any chance of bringing the dead back to life they'd be zombies or vegetables
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.