[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Friendly reminder that thoughts are everything. Make it a habit

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1486245701661.jpg (107KB, 500x637px) Image search: [Google]
1486245701661.jpg
107KB, 500x637px
Friendly reminder that thoughts are everything. Make it a habit to become conscious of them.

>The universe is always delivering to you more of what you focus upon
>Your thoughts are always under your control
>There is always something you can focus on that delights you
>Reach for the thoughts that feel good

It really is that simple.
>>
>>34659011
I don't understand, enlightened robot
>>
It's so simple
>>
>>34659011
actually thoughts are just the shallow result of your physiology
>>
Buddhism was my stepping stone towards Taoism. The One true path
>>
>>34659011

>>thoughts are everything

See this is how I know you're either a western pseudo-spiritual New Ager or just a very clever baiter.

Thoughts are nothing, same as you. Enlightenment, whatever that may be, comes when your internal monologue ends, not when it reaches some profound verbal conclusion. This is the main difference between eastern and western thought.
>>
>>34659970
Thoughts control all experience of life, friend, as well as all words and actions
>>
>>34659090
And tasty food is "just chemicals"
Happiness is "just chemicals"
Life is "just atoms"
Horrific pain is "just chemicals"

Right? :^)
>>
>>34660570
and where do chemicals come from anon?
>>
>>34660570
>>34659090

>naming what discussed concepts come down to on a mechanicalist material level makes me a fucking genius lightyears beyond all you un-STEM hippies

Well whatever your views on enlightenment may be at least we agree positivist-fags are the fucking bottom of the pile
>>
>>34660570

The burden to prove that thoughts are under our control should be on OP. He's the one who boldly claims that
>Your thoughts are always under your control

If I have a fever, my thoughts won't be the same. Where are those thoughts that feel good in my time of need?
>>
>>34660638
Nature, obviously. But what I was getting at was you can call something "just X", but such an empty pessimistic label doesn't compare with the metaphysical experience of the chemical catalyst.

>>34660655
Not sure what point you're making here.
>>
>>34660706
>If I have a fever, my thoughts won't be the same. Where are those thoughts that feel good in my time of need?

Those thoughts aren't there because you're focusing on the fever. You can choose to focus elsewhere, or even to not think at all. I agree that something like a bad fever or feeling horifficly tired can be extremely overwhelming, but a lot of the struggle in that situation is in the resistance of it. I'm not saying such an ailment won't greatly limit you, but I am saying you get to decide how you perceive the experience; where you mind is at, so to speak.

t. someone who's been very tired for 14 months straight
>>
>>34659011
You really piss me off with your The Secret bullshit.

First of all, the universe is not delivering shit to us. It is our actions and our self concept which influence and guide us through the world. So, it follows that being conscious of our thoughts is not equal to controlling our thoughts as consciousness is only the first step in the process. Another thing that pisses me off about what you said is that you can always focus on something that delights you. Absolutely, but look at the real world. Typically when people focus too much on things that delight them they end up taking short term pleasures over a long term scale, fucking themselves over in middle/old age with degenerative disorders.

>Reach for the thoughts that feel good
This is literally the only decent thing you said and I wish you expanded on it farther. Visualization/Mental Rehearsal is an extremely powerful skill.

The best things in life outside of sex (I'm counting masturbation here) and food are never easy to obtain. I'm of the opinion the greatest stumbling block men face is that, as Dostoyevsky wrote, would rather die on a battlefield as young brave heroes than dedicate a few years to intense studying.
>>
>>34661230
I'll address your points before thread dies. Bare with me.
>>
>>34659877

Buddhism is poopoo. There has not been one successful Buddhist ever, except in a "shitting on the floor" contest.

The true success has always been western-based.
>>
>>34661396
>>34661230
>It is our actions and our self concept which influence and guide us through the world
Actions are created by thought. Consciously, or subconsciously; you choose. Self-concept is also created in the same way.

> So, it follows that being conscious of our thoughts is not equal to controlling our thoughts as consciousness is only the first step in the process
True, but I didn't say simple consciousness of thoughts = control

>Another thing that pisses me off about what you said is that you can always focus on something that delights you. Absolutely, but look at the real world. Typically when people focus too much on things that delight them they end up taking short term pleasures over a long term scale, fucking themselves over in middle/old age with degenerative disorders.
How does thinking positive thoughts lead to degenerative disorders? What sort of short-term pleasures?
>>
>>34661482
Self concept is influenced by inner and outer forces (people, our environment), constantly. In our developmental years our self concept is drawn more from the outside world than the inside as we are still building our identities within that time. It is not as easy to change in adulthood as simply deciding to feel good within our thoughts, because feeling is not the same thing as being, being being preset in that early yet crucial growth stage. A feeling is ephemeral where as our physical state of being carries a certain emotional/physical inertia to it which makes an overhaul difficult. It makes no sense to draw the line at "our thought, our choice" when our being is so important to acknowledge and understand to even begin to change both.

You did say that simple focus = control, as you claim the universe is always delivering to you more of what you focus upon... Without ever mentioning interacting with the outside world. Your statements are so vague that only a critical eye could see how a stupid person could interpret your ideas. They would stop at the thinking, because the thinking is all that's explicitly stated.

A man could dream a hundred years of being a millionaire but it wouldn't make them so. That is the only thing I ever learned from The Secret.
>>
>>34660655
>>34660570
I don't mean in the "lol just chemicals" manner but thoughts are surface processes and usually the result of more obscure processes as well as the state of your body

pure thought is everything like your monitor is the total determinant of your computer
>>
>>34661482
Oh, and before you counter with "but anon I meant real actions too", nowhere had you said that in your post until I replied with my interpretation of your vague statements. You literally began your OP post with "Thoughts are everything". Why else would you ask me how thinking positive thoughts leads to degenerative disorders?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.