[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>redditors need to be instructed to help people in trouble

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: What could it be.png (58KB, 888x516px) Image search: [Google]
What could it be.png
58KB, 888x516px
>redditors need to be instructed to help people in trouble

What the fuck is wrong with everyone these days? I was at the bus stop recently even some girl was running in circles, anyway, I didn't really care. Looks fucking weird, but I don't care if someone wants to run in circles. So this guy just kinda announced to no one in particular: "Someone should call the cops".

>Do you have a phone?
>yes
>Then why don't you just call them yourself?
>I don't want to talk to the cops
>Jesus christ

Anyway, he did wind up getting a girl to call the cops, he actually held his phone, outstretched towards her face and she talked, because he was too scared to talk to them himself. Cops did wind up showing up and she stopped running in circles for a bit and talked to them. But anyway, why is everyone a coward? I see bodies lying on the ground, and it's just a no brainer, like, "Alright, this girl probably shouldn't be sleeping on the sidewalk, I'll take care of her."
>>
>some harmless abnormality is happening
>american's first instinct is to call the cops
Is this for real? Holy fuck
>>
It's not my fucking responsibility to get involved with other people's problems. I have enough problems already.

I don't know the context. You could be intervening on a beating of someone, to later find out the person inciting the violence had their sister killed by the person getting the shit beaten out of them.

Not my problem.
>>
>>34658521
>why is everyone a coward?
because you can get in trouble with the law for inane things if you intervene in these situations.

you can never tell if someone's actually in trouble, or they're just malingering or putting on a show to try and hook someone into a lawsuit.
>>
>>34658605
Well, no, this was in Canada. She was probably tripping on something, but who cares. When she stops running and falls over, that's when I'll call the cops.
>>
>>34658739
name one situation where I couldn't tell someone is feigning trouble that would also somehow put me in jeopardy
>>
>calling the cops on people fighting
Nigga u a bitch
>>
>>34659582
>that snitch nigga who broke up a Waffle House fight
>>
>I see bodies lying on the ground, and it's just a no brainer, like, "Alright, this girl probably shouldn't be sleeping on the sidewalk, I'll take care of her."

That's probably true of you came across her on your own, but the bystander effect is a real and well documented thing.

There have been many many people who were just as sure of themselves as you who reacted just as passively when in a crowd faced with something like that.
>>
Well OP, the bystander effect is real. But informing people of cognitive biases and deficits has never helped anyone to actually correct them. The best way is to get experience and practice. Some sort of emergency training or paranoid prepper situational awareness training is probably best at combating this effect.
>>
>>34658521
>I see bodies lying on the ground, and it's just a no brainer
As people have said, if someone was walking alone and found someone unconscious in the street they probably would call the police, but it's a well known issue that people who would happily do that, when in a huge crowd of people moving down a busy city street, will readily ignore someone bleeding to death on the side of the road under the impression that "someone else will deal with it".
>>
File: tumblr_mugfgl6X5O1sos2rxo1_1280.jpg (54KB, 1024x780px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mugfgl6X5O1sos2rxo1_1280.jpg
54KB, 1024x780px
>>34658521
My old 10th grade teacher has the most notable opinions for the bystander effect.
She told is that back WW2, the German civilians were cowards for not hiding Jews and we're just bad as the concentration camp workers since bystanders are as bad as the bullets.
(I don't share this opinion obviously, I just want to see this thread prosper)
>>
>>34659731
Actually it wasn't exactly a no brainer, I thought about, cause it wasn't a cold night and I knew if I had decided to sleep outside I wouldn't want people to fucking bother me, but i said: "Ah to hell with what she wants I'll call someone to come pick her up." But anyway, the point is I wouldn't really change much if there were people present except to ask them if the girl on the ground belonged to them or something.
>>
>>34659813
it's not a very coherent opinion.
>>
>>34659851
>But anyway, the point is I wouldn't really change much if there were people present except to ask them if the girl on the ground belonged to them or something.

No, the point is that pretty much every human will claim the same thing as you, yet it's demonstrably true that when they're actually put in that situation the vast majority of people will completely ignore them, no matter what they previously claimed.
>>
>>34659909
No cause I've ran into girls in trouble when there are other people. There was the time I was going through a cross walk and a cab was stopped there and I saw the passenger door was open and there was a girl half slumped on the ground. I kept walking for a few seconds, cause I figured the cabbie could deal with it, but then I said: Enh, I better make sure this isn't a kidnapping. I went up to the driver and asked him if the girl was okay, and he said yeah, she's just really drunk. Then it occurred to me if he was a kidnapper he's probably capable of lying to me so there's not much I can do here unless I feel like taking her off his hands. So I left. But I wasn't a bystander!
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.