[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A thread for ous with real mental issues. Share your experienses

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1179.png (437KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1179.png
437KB, 640x1136px
A thread for ous with real mental issues. Share your experienses and tips.

>at resturant with family
>feel uncoming panic attack
>act calm, go to the bathroom
>stand in the dark, hand on belly, tell self 'take it easy, take it easy'
>wash face with cold water
>Finally it goes away
>struggle through dinner

I get these attacks in public spaces around other people. Some one know anything that helps?
>>
>>34631287

Ussualy when people have problems like that they just suicide
>>
>>34631287

How long have these been happening?

Do you have any other symptoms of mental illness (e.g. depression, anxiety)?
>>
>>34631327
I feel depressed now and then but usually just for about two or three days.
I feel anxious when I know I have to do something important the next day. It makes me so stressed that I can't sleep at all.
>>
>>34631419

Well, usually, 'treatment' for panic attacks revolves around negating triggers and management techniques (breathing exercises etc.). So you need to look for patterns in occurrence (where were you; what were you doing etc.). Realistically, you're going to struggle to avoid them, so the best way to cope is to find genuine ways to deal with them.

As you describe, you left the situation; you probably tried to relax, control breathing. You may find meditation or breathing exercises (practised regularly) work well.

I ask about depression/anxiety because panic attacks developed for me when I went through a major depressive episode, coupled with heavy drinking. I suffered a cluster of depression. anxiety, ,stress, paranoia and panic attacks. I also had massive trouble sleeping, which might have been a cause, or might have been a symptom.

Now that I am doing better (left university, moved back in with parents as a NEET), I am less prone to them. Hence, seeking treatment for depression/anxiety may help. Indeed, anti-depressant and anti-anxiety medications are often used to treat panic attacks.

desu, you probably should seek professional help, at least to get some counselling.
>>
>>34631559
It might have been because of my drinking. It have become better but I still fear it happening again in the future. Any meds that work just in case?
>>
Well, I think you need prescriptions for anti-depressants?
>>
>>34632360
How do they work? Heard that they are wothless. Looking for something to take maybe once every two weeks, when I need quick help. It would make my life so much more easy.
>>
>>34631559
How come you know so much?
>>
>>34631287
>Doing normal things with normal people you're well acquainted with.
>Stuggle to not lose it
I'm not talking shit but am legitimately confused. When I've had my panic attacks were at the end of college when I was worried about not graduating because of so many assignments/cost of redoing the year.
That was the only time I've really panicked. What causes yours? How bad can it be for you to have panic attacks eating food?
>>
>>34633666
Bitch you even know what a panic attack is!? Because it feels BAD. No matter where or when.
>>
>>34631287
A nail in the thigh helps.

More seroiously, try Kratom. 3-5 grams a day should help you.
>>
I have to try my best not to grab handfuls of my hair or hit myself in the head like fucking Leatherface on the walk back from work because I know people will see me and it would cause problems for me if they noticed.

I realised that I have never been happy for any kind of extended period. All the things I am doing in my life are to minimise suffering, but I don't think it's possible for me to actually be happy. I have been in shape before, for example, but I would scream every night.
>>
>>34633573

Well, I did suffer panic attacks, though I never had the courage to talk to a doctor or get medication. My problems have abated substantially after a change in environment.

>>34632665

Some people consider anti-depressants to be a meme - I don't want to get into that. The fact is that the solution to most mental health issues these days is to throw that sort of shit at you and pray that something works.
>>
Xanax. Unfortunately it is really hard to get it prescribed because so many people have an interest in taking it as a recreation drug. That's a bummer because what you described OP is exactly what Xanax is for.
>>
>>34633666
Those werent panic attacks you dumb normie
>>
>>34633666
>What causes yours? How bad can it be for you to have panic attacks eating food?

Anxiety causes it genius. Not OP, but that's what actual anxiety disorder is. It makes you freak out over things that are completely normal like eating in a restaurant, driving a car, leaving the house...

If you don't have that happen, you don't have fucking anxiety. You have stress and it's perfectly normal.
>>
>>34631287
OP you might want to give propranolol a try. It severely reduces the physical symptoms of anxiety and can completely eliminate panic attacks by squashing the feelings that lead up to one. YMMV but it's almost completely snuffed mine.

I have OCD, bipolar type 1 and a paraphilia. Been in treatment for almost all of it. Would be very happy to answer any questions ITT that I can
>>
>>34634479
You already pointed out that YMMV but it never did much for me. If, for example, I've already decided that someone not replying when I quietly say goodbye means that I'm not welcome back, that everyone hates me and perhaps I will be arrested then sweating less isn't going to affect that panic spiral meaningfully.
>>
>>34634629
That makes perfect sense and is exactly why most medication is best used in combination with good therapy. When there's layers of issues to address it can take a long ass time to see results but my dude, I assure you, it is possible to feel better even coming from a place like the one you're in.
>>
>>34635106
Thank you. I am in longterm group therapy actually and it's helping with other issues but I haven't really addressed this one funnily enough. There's a lot to get through I suppose.
>>
>>34634184
What worked for you then?
>>
>tfw have extreme anxiety
>No friends, get scared just talking to family
>Get anxiety when trying to call a therapist or psychiatrist and end up never making the call
>Robots just tell me to just get over it and call
Also, which comes first; depression or anxiety?
>>
>>34636033
Depression. Also why cant you parents make the call? Not that therapy can help someone with actual mental illness.
>>
File: le_manual_dog.jpg (78KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
le_manual_dog.jpg
78KB, 768x1024px
Im fine until I think about it.

Ill be driving along in my car fine, then all of a sudden I think of something going wrong in my head and I lose it.

Everything feels like a blur, I can only focus on one thing and I get terrified.

Any anons have an idea of what could help?
>>
>>34636088
My mother doesn't believe in therapy/psychiatry. Her beliefs are a little confusing but basically she doesn't believe people can actually be mentally ill and she also doesn't think it's something that can be cured.
>>
>>34636133
It sort of feels like a heavy daze
>>
>>34635665

Well, my depression began at about 16 (by my reckoning) and steadily grew worse over time. I put it down to being naturally melancholy; and being a relatively friendless, insular male, I couldn't really seek help. I had sleep trouble from that age, and the usual social anxiety that dogs a lot of people here.

However, university made things worse. I became increasingly withdrawn, irritable and apathetic towards my work. But during my final year, I suffered a complete mental breakdown. I basically didn't leave the place in which I was staying, starting drinking to help me sleep and just lost myself. I could barely talk to other people; going outside terrified me. I couldn't handle the work, but I was constantly stressed about failing.

The thing that worked was leaving. I failed (some of) my exams and lived a bit until my tenancy ran out. When I moved back in with my parents, having basically no obligations, things began to improve. My depression is still moderate, but I can actually get out of bed and mask things pretty well. Similarly, I am still withdrawn, friendless and insular, but I can successfully leave the house and talk to other human beings coherently (though I'll still shake and go red).

I think, for me, I became mentally fragile (worn down over time by stress) and thus my regular anxieties, which used to be manageable, became too much.

That's my story. I don't know what it's like for you. I'm stubborn about visiting a doctor because I believe I can still fix this alone, but it's probably the best thing for you to do.
>>
>>34636455
Thank you for sharing your story man! Helps knowing that hard stuff happens to more people than yourself.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.