[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wouldn't Heaven get extremely boring after a long while?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 10

File: thinking.jpg (76KB, 1000x829px) Image search: [Google]
thinking.jpg
76KB, 1000x829px
Wouldn't Heaven get extremely boring after a long while?

We like good things because bad things exist.
>>
You dont get bored of cocaine
>>
>>34629658
But with time you need more, because the portions that made you feel good before don't satisfy you anymore.
>>
You have a false conceptualization of "heaven".

The oldest and Orthodox view is that when we die we are fully exposed to the Love of God.

For sinners who reject God, this feels like fire. To those who seek harmony with God it feels well positive/loving. Those who reject God are still able to be prayed for/repent and appreciate his love as well.

It's not "physically pleasurable or fun" it's coming into full contact and harmony with that which is all that is Good, and that which is perfectly Love.

All good and bad of living in this world are totally incomparable to that experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WosgwLekgn8
>>
>>34630394
You're a member of a cult
>>
>>34630416
This. The more you learn about Christianity the most disturbing that shit is.
>>
File: unreal_tournament.jpg (47KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
unreal_tournament.jpg
47KB, 1024x768px
>>34629618
I like Mark Twain's concept where you get to do whatever, with the options of dangerous (not deadly though) and challenging shit. Like, a sailor who died can just gather a crew and they can wish themselves a starting set of ship and supplies and go trade ahoy.

I'd personally put myself in the middle of some warzone and try and survive for longer periods every time, eventually getting the knowledge and skill required to become an epic warmonger.
>>
>Wouldn't Heaven get extremely boring after a long while?

Boredom is the product of chemical reactions occurring in the brain. In heaven, presumably, we would not have brains per se, so there is no reason to suppose we would get bored.

>We like good things because bad things exist.

No, we like good things because they cause chemical reactions in our brains that lead to pleasure.

When you get bored of something that you were enjoying before, that's because there have been physical and chemical changes in your nervous system now compared to before.
>>
>>34630271

Because your brain physically changes in response to chronic intake of the drug.
>>
>>34630416
>>34630452
Ie Ie tips
>>
>>34629618
Yeah. Sounds like you're just hopped up on morphine.

Supposedly, your thinking changes and you don't want the same things anymore. At that point you're not the same person. You've been altered into being something else.

Fuck that. I'd rather stay on Earth.
>>
File: mlady.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
mlady.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>34630505
You sure do love the words "chemical reactions", eh, Fedora Man? Those "chemical reactions" you pipe about so much still construct a living, reactive conscience. If our brains would ever be downloaded, the processes and bonds in the brain would remain the same, except instead of your beloved phrase the relations between each cell would be electronic.

TLDR: Conscience is about the brain's qualities and reactions, not about every single particle inside.
>>
>>34630544
Euphoria forever, I would much rather that than this miserable fucking shithole
>>
>>34630557
It wouldn't even be you spending forever in a constant state of stupefaction though.

It'd be like a lobotomized version of you.
>>
>>34630582
I far prefer the drunk/drugged version of me, honestly I'm a fucking disgrace
>>
>>34630505
I don't see the point in using a positivist understand of the world to try to explain that which is explicitly anti-materialist.

>>34630544
already explained
>>34630394

>not the same person
When someone has cancer or a mental illness, when they are better do you say they are not the same person?

We are all sick as we are without God, and he is what bring us back to Normality.

We aren't "normal" and no humans are, we are all sick.
Taking pride in manifestations of that sickness will only keep you from being healed.
>>34630557
stop responding to him he has no actual understanding of the afterlife.

Since the fall all man is broken and sick, and through God we can be healed.
>>
File: Tip.gif (128KB, 600x371px) Image search: [Google]
Tip.gif
128KB, 600x371px
>>34630547

>If our brains would ever be downloaded, the processes and bonds in the brain would remain the same,

That is far into the realm of baseless speculation.

>Conscience is about the brain's qualities and reactions, not about every single particle inside.

You're drawing a distinction without a difference. The particles inside ARE the brain's qualities, and they compel its reactions. The brain itself is made of chemicals.

Btw I think the word you're looking for is "consciousness", not "conscience".
>>
But aren't all of you fuckin' scared of eternity? I would prefer it to be like sleep without dreaming.
>>
>>34630619
This fanaticism is disturbing.
>>
>>34630582

The very idea that there is an enduring "you" that exists independently of the thoughts and feelings of a given time and place is questionable. It doesn't even make logical sense.

Also, euphoria doesn't equal stupefaction.
>>
>>34630619

>When someone has cancer or a mentaI illness, when they are better do you say they are not the same person?

Yes, I would. "The same" literally means "the same". If they change, they are no longer the same.

You can't step in the same river twice.
>>
>>34630606

I think you should ease up on the self-hatred dude.

There is not even a self to hate
>>
>live shit life from day 1 you are born
>get screwed over by people who are just le trolling xd either that or they are some bitter faggot or suffer from mental illness
>life is irreparably fucked
>kill self because life is so unbearable
>God: le fuck you you didn't le try, le burn in hell for all le eternity

What the fuck kind of a joke of an existence is this?
>>
File: living.png (91KB, 493x364px) Image search: [Google]
living.png
91KB, 493x364px
>>34630624
God is that which is all Good and all Loving.
Should one not pursue that?

Do you prefer this broken sinful world where everyone pursues and worships sin and death?

What in the world is deserving of putting so much value in? The hope you can find another broken person who will let you cum in them?

>>34630629
Logic doesn't make logical sense. Any basic looks into psychologically show humans are totally irrational.
Also the fact that any truth (objective ones) are inherently eternal and not of this world would mean you are someone with an extremely temporary view making a judgment on something that is eternal.

So long as your priority reason the only endpoint is the loss of all truth and total nihilism, one mustn't have such pride in themselves as to make such determinations.

>>34630641
This requires a stance that people are nothing more then what they are physically at the time. Every 10 years they'd be a totally different "person" according to your theory, which is absurd and blatantly false.

As our physical world is completely changing by your definition there is never actually any consistent identity for anyone.
(Which is obviously false and should lead you to examine whatever assumptions you hold)
>>34630671
>there is no self to hate
>uses I
All nihilism that attempts to communicate or make any truth statement requires being totally logically incoherent.
>>
>>34630452
>Reject your individuality or suffer for eternity
At least asian religions are honest about this shit

Satan was right
>>
>>34630702
Satania is a fucking top-tier semen demon.
>>
>>34630692
Nihilism is the true answer.

There is no purpose.
>>
>>34630689
You aren't really supposed to enjoy this life.

Also the early church doesn't make any definitive claim on whether those who commit suicide are punished, God knows what you inside and will judge righteously.

>>34630702
Pride isn't individuality really, but western individuality is just being prideful for sure.

It's about seeking the truth, and that requires having a truthful understanding of oneself.

Pride is the biggest most corrupting force keeping people from goodness and Truth though. Only through being humble and broken can you understand anything.

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; A broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.
>>
>>34630727
I was super heavily into that stuff before I actually humbled and educated myself a bit.

oodegr.co/english/filosofia/nihilism_root_modern_age.htm

Highly recommend this book does a good job and depicting the different types of truth and nihilism's progression in the world.

Nihilism is just people being prideful.

(Though my specific type of nihilism he conceded was at least logically consistent, most aren't though)

Both of your statements are truth claims for example which is contradictory with nihilism.
>>
>>34630692

>This requires a stance that people are nothing more then what they are physically at the time. Every 10 years they'd be a totally different "person" according to your theory, which is absurd and blatantly false.

Not every 10 years...every moment.

And merely saying my perspective is wrong does not prove it is wrong. Argument by assertion is a logical fallacy.

>As our physical world is completely changing by your definition there is never actually any consistent identity for anyone.

Yes, exactly.

>(Which is obviously false)

Again, you are just asserting this to be the case.

>there is no self to hate
>uses I

That's simply a linguistic issue because English and most other languages formed under the assumption that there is a self. It doesn't disprove the idea that there is no enduring self.

>Logic doesn't make logical sense.

Logic is the foundation of philosophical discourse. If you deny logic itself we really have nothing more to discuss.

>Any basic looks into psychologically show humans are totally irrational.

No, humans are not totally irrational. If we were, we would be incapable of such things as basic mathematics, altruism, hygiene, I could go on. We would be like rocks.
>>
If you like good things because of bad things then you're no different than a neckbeard edgelord that likes bad things because of good things. Most of us grow out of our edgelord phase.
>>
>>34630702

Most South Asian and East Asian religions don't believe in eternal damnation. That's mostly an Abrahamic thing.
>>
>>34630750
>And merely saying my perspective is wrong does not prove it is wrong. Argument by assertion is a logical fallacy.

It's a performative contradiction which I already pointed out in your use of language, the fact you are having a conversation also requires that you accept separate entities with separate understandings exist and that truth exists and is preferable to falsehood. (But nihilists are never consistent)

>That's simply a linguistic issue because English and most other languages formed under the assumption that there is a self. It doesn't disprove the idea that there is no enduring self.

No you just don't genuine believe it because it's absurd, probably just mental trauma leading you to it or self hatred or something.

>Logic is the foundation of philosophical discourse. If you deny logic itself we really have nothing more to discuss.

Philosophy is pretty much people making shit up and being prideful. Ideally only monks should be able to deal with it or other people who have proven themselves humble.

>No, humans are not totally irrational. If we were, we would be incapable of such things as basic mathematics, altruism, hygiene, I could go on. We would be like rocks.

This is based on the false assumption that truth can only be arrived at through logic which is again baseless and you contradict in this conversation itself.

All truth can only come through the grace of THE Truth Christ.

(And you not liking people being irrational doesn't make them not)
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdGUnSu49hg

If people want to see an example of people genuinely seeking truth and understanding of Christ.

God is all loving and everything he does is out of love, you only suffer if you reject his love, as he is the sole source of anything Good.

If you reject all that is good you will suffer, and he gives you the free will to make that choice out of love.
>>
>>34630826

>No you just don't genuine believe it because it's absurd, probably just mental trauma leading you to it or self hatred or something.

"I" do believe it. That may change in the future. Whether it does or does not is up to the laws of physics, because "my" beliefs and actions are determined by physical and chemical changes that will occur due to movements of chemicals and energy inside of "me" in response to the various stimuli "I" will encounter as time goes on.

That's why drugs alter human consciousness--they cause chemical reactions in the nervous system that alter perception.

>Philosophy is pretty much people making shit up and being prideful. Ideally only monks should be able to deal with it or other people who have proven themselves humble.

Lol.
>>
Not if god removes our capacity to experience boredom
>>
>>34630853

>If you reject all that is good you will suffer, and he gives you the free will to make that choice out of love.

Is the "free will" you refer to compatibilist free will or libertarian free will? They're two completely different concepts.

If God is omniscient, then there can be no libertarian free will, as God would know what a person would do, think, feel, say, etc. in a given situation, and that person ontologically could not do otherwise.
>>
>>34630859

Btw, it's not just drugs that do this. Food, temperature, physical blows, maturation, aging, all these things also do it too.
>>
>>34630862

Bingo. That's basically what I was saying with >>34630505
>>
>>34630859
You still can't talk from anything but a totally personal perspective because you only believe that because you are so prideful.

If you can't argue for what you think is truth without contradicting it literally every sentence you might rethink your assumptions.

This is your brain on materialism folks.

I highly recommend you check out the book I linked here, will explain my perspective and the idea of different truths better.
>>34630749

>>34630873
This expression of our Lord, "How often would I have gathered thy children together,
and thou wouldest not, (Matthew 23:37) II , set forth the ancient law of human liberty,
because God made man a free agent from the beginning, possessing his own power,
even as he does his own soul, to obey the behests of God voluntarily, and not by
compulsion of God. For there is no coercion with God, but a good will towards us is
present with Him continually. And therefore does He give good counsel to all. In man,
as well as the angels, He has placed the power of choice...so that those who had yielded
obedience might rightly possess the good, given indeed by God, but preserved by
themselves. On, the other hand, they who have not obeyed, shall, with justice, be not
found in possession of the good, and shall receive condign punishment : for God did
kindly bestow on them what was good;... (Against the Heresies, IV, 37, I).

He knows but it's their choice.
>>
>>34630937

>He knows but it's their choice.

Say Jim is given the "choice" of an apple or an orange.

God knows he will pick the apple.

Jim picks the orange.

God knew he would pick the apple, and he was right, because he's God, and God is always right, as he is omniscient.

But Jim was free to choose the orange, and he did. So even though God was wrong because Jim picked the orange (as he was free to do), God was right, because God is never wrong.

This is your argument, basically. And it is drivel.
>>
>>34630394
That's fucking creepy dude

Like that episode of futurama with the tentacle thing
>>
Something to clarify for people.

You do not improve your understanding of God by studying philosophy and writings. That can help done in combination with other stuff but done alone will only make you Prideful.

To understand that which is perfectly Good, helping charity, prayer, attending Church services and the Body of Christ, and doing good in general will teach you far more of the nature of God then reading books about it will.
>>
>>34630932
How the hell did you manage to fuck up explaining something as simple as that?
>>
>>34630959
18 If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. 19 If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.
John 15: 18-19

>>34630957
read
>>34630967

That doesn't make any sense what you said either, God would Know he would pick the Orange, God doesn't assume most people will be saved. He doesn't assume good choices from everyone, that would be absurd.

13 Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because[a] narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

Matthew 7:13-14
>>
>>34630967
Yep, give a homeless guy enough money and he'll drink himself to death. God is obedience to repetition, addiction and self-demise
>>
>>34631015

>God would Know he would pick the Orange

Then the picking of the apple would not be an ontological possibility.
>>
>>34631051
Through God all is possible.

Philosophy is a mind-cancer you should try engaging more with helping others and doing good if you actually want to understand the nature of God.
>>
>>34631075

>Through God all is possible.

Then, again, by that logic, God could know he would pick the orange, and Jim could still pick the apple. Then God would be both wrong and right.

Your ideas are nonsensical and self-contradictory.
>>
>>34629618
You have no conception of heaven because you're alive. It's just like your conception of pre-birth. Heaven wouldn't be a thing like an orange or a water bottle.
>>
File: pagan-001.jpg (52KB, 290x290px) Image search: [Google]
pagan-001.jpg
52KB, 290x290px
>>34629618
ITT: People who cuck themselves by believing in an Abrahamic god.

When will you take the /greenpill/?
>>
>>34631089
You don't understand God because of your pride. He isn't something reducible to your small minded human "reason" (as irrational as it is)
>>
>>34631131
>yourr small minded human reason

projecting pretty hard here christcuck
>>
>>34631131

>You don't understand God because of your pride.

I simply realize that your particular conception of God is incoherent.

>He isn't something reducible to your small minded human "reason"

And yet you use (broken) reasoning to sing his praises and argue that your conception of God is the right one. Funny double standard, that.
>>
God does not answer my prayers

I ask and yet I do not receive
>>
>>34629618
>muh fun and excitement XD
Only said by degenerate people who live only by their impulses. The rest of us are content yet still happy with the little things.
>>
I feel like if, hypothetically, heaven were to exist the way it is described.........You would be incapable of negative thought meaning you could only ever enjoy heaven.

I think the bible says you are unable to think negatively but if that were the case, satan should not have been able to go against god unless god (due to his favoritism) gave him the ability to do so.
>>
>>34631212
Hint: Satan was a false flag
>>
>>34631157
I explained it more in depth before, simply using perception and reason to understand something which by definition so much greater than us is absurd.

>>34631162
My main hope from this was exposing some people to some aspects of him through videos or books so they look further, arguing bumps the thread which is a +

All truth is only given by the grace of God.

>>34631189
It may not be in a way you understand or expect, one cannot test him and hope for a sign. Good faith is rewarded however.

>>34631212
We are called to be all loving on this earth, and heaven itself is the full experience of Gods love. It is all that is good, there is no negativity at all there.
>>
If God is "beyond reason", then why shouldn't we please him by breaking his commandments?

After all, he is not bound by logic. So by breaking his commandments, we may as well be fulfilling them, as logic and reason are just nonsense--the toxic products of "pride"! By not doing what he wants, we are doing what he wants.

Or, we could simultaneously break and keep his commandments, because we have thrown logic out the window.
>>
>>34631222
The trips have spoken
le original
>>
>>34631238
Truth isn't only given by logic.

Obedience to his laws is the only way to know and understand him.

One must humble yourself to the guided traditions of the Body of Christ if one seeks to know him.

You are still coming from a place of pride with that, you are trying to trick God, that does not work.

He knows what is in your heart.
>>
File: spider_jayrus.jpg (361KB, 979x1523px) Image search: [Google]
spider_jayrus.jpg
361KB, 979x1523px
>>34631237
Another anon here, but I'm not gonna buy your god (or anyone's god) even if he is proven to exist simply because I love myself above all.
>>
>>34631240
He gave god an excuse to both punish humanity and at the same time force us to worship and love him. Maybe this was what god wanted all along>
>>
File: 1482294971491.png (181KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1482294971491.png
181KB, 800x600px
Daily reminder that god is a phantom concept randomly generated by the god of repeating digits
>>
>>34631237
Why should I have faith in him
>>
>>34631358

Because if you don't, he will torture you with his love forever.
>>
File: 1458727567246.jpg (229KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1458727567246.jpg
229KB, 800x800px
>>34630394
sounds gay and you're gay.
>Those who reject God are still able to be prayed for/repent and appreciate his love as well.
I'm guessing by that part people who commit suicide still get a shot at heaven. So please kill yourself then do your gay shit and suck god's dick
>>
>>34631358
He is all that is Good and Loving.
Attend a liturgy and speak to a priest so you can better understand him a bit more.

just google maps search orthodox church and look for what is close

He loves you and wouldn't do anything against you, however if you flee from that which is good you will only find that which is bad.
>>34631375
Peace, Love, and Goodness can only be found through Christ.

He loves you and I love you and I hope you find a way to open up to him.
God bless!
>>
>>34631426

>He is all that is Good and Loving.

Then why would he create Satan, knowing full well how Satan would turn out?
>>
>>34630629
>Also, euphoria doesn't equal stupefaction.

It does when it's combined with the removal of various desires, preferences, and other existing parts of the personality.

>>34630619
>When someone has cancer or a mental illness, when they are better do you say they are not the same person?

You're referring to temporary states here, but the proposed state in heaven is eternal.

If someone became mentally ill in such a way that forever altered the functioning of their brain in a significant manner, I would say that they aren't the same person anymore.
>>
>>34631499

>It does when it's combined with the removal of various desires, preferences, and other existing parts of the personality.

I don't agree. You can be loaded with desires and preferences and still be stupefied, and you can be content and far from stupefied.

You seem to be fetishizing the state of hankering.
>>
>>34631567
Sure, there's more than one way to stupefy someone.

Stupefy can be defined as "to make (someone) unable to think or feel properly.". Being in a constant euphoric state, unable to feel pain, suffering, or sadness, and having previous desires, preferences, and other parts of the personality removed certainly qualifies under this definition.

Some other definitions that work here:
>to put into a state of little or no sensibility; benumb the faculties of; put into a stupor.
>to stun, as with a narcotic, a shock, or a strong emotion.
>to make stupid, groggy, or insensible <stupefied by anesthesia>
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.