[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>yeah, I was born in a religious family but deconverted to

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 15

File: 1480300535289.png (67KB, 440x325px) Image search: [Google]
1480300535289.png
67KB, 440x325px
>yeah, I was born in a religious family but deconverted to atheism at 17

mfw there are people who actually go around saying shit like this
>>
>he didnt have an edgy atheist teenager phase

Its like you arent even human
>>
>>34604404
if you had strict parents you usually go through an atheist phase when you reject everything your parents stand for. it'll pass for most of them when they find out what atheists stand for.
>>
>>34604404
I'm an atheist married to a catholic, we have a kid that's being raised catholic
>>
>>34604468
>when they find out what atheists stand for.

What do atheists stand for?
>>
>>34604404
i honestly dont know what your issue is with this. make your point clearer you nigger
>>
>>34604468

do you think there's something wrong with being an atheist?
>>
>>34604468
i went like this

devout christian---> edgy atheist ----> agnostic ----->deist ------> spinozism of sorts
>>
>discovered atheism when I was 5

I'm Christian now
>>
>>34604404

I grew out of Christianity and religion when I was 10 years old dude. I've been atheist for over 10 years now.

My parents didn't push it on me either and let me believe whatever I wanted. They eventually stopped going to Church and became atheist as well.

The only people in my family who are religious are my grandparents on my mom's side. Grandpa is a Mormon, grandma is a protestant. It's pretty lulzy.
>>
Went from Christian to fedora atheist now just atheist. I don't act like a sperg or anything but I don't like people preaching their shit to me.
>>
who here /nevereverfellforchristcuckmeme/
>>
I just don't get how anyone can believe any religion I've ever heard of. I get the belief that there could be (((something))) out there, be it god or aliens or a computer simulation or some other stupid shit, but Christianity and all the others have just such unbelievable stories.

Short of being told the shit young enough that you just accepted it, how can anyone believe this bullshit?
>>
>>34604535
>parents became atheists

i dont know why this is hilarious for me
i guess it is because one sort of believes people are already sure of their religion once they have children
>>
>>34604566

I'm pretty sure I caused my parents to stop believing in god. Take that for what you will.

Either way, I'm not one of those edgy fedora atheists that acts condescending to the religious folks.

People can believe whatever they want, and as long as they aren't trying to force their religions onto me then I think it's pretty harmless.

If it makes them happy and gives them purpose in life, then more power to them.
>>
>>34604589
>as long as they aren't trying to force their religions onto me
But literally all of them are trying to do just that at varying intensities
>>
File: 7Ldn6gD.jpg (41KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
7Ldn6gD.jpg
41KB, 480x640px
>>34604404
the amount of plebbitors in this thread is absolutely disgusting
tips fedora
>>
>>34604690

Not in most of my experiences. I'm good friends with some pretty hardcore Christian sisters but they never push their religion on me.

I mean, sometimes they'll ask me if I'm ever concerned about my soul and we'll get into theological debates, but it's always pretty respectful and in good taste. I appreciate having them as my friends.

Although I've definitely seen some "God Hates Fags" types standing on the corner with their cardboard signs and I've had to resist the urge to spit on them.

I'm also not a fan of the way Trump is trying to destroy separation of Church and State and remove the Johnson amendment. That is the most alarming thing I've seen so far.

There may come a time when I can no longer afford to be as friendly toward my religious comrades, but for the time being, I see them as harmless, if somewhat delusional in their thinking.

In the end though, I really can't bring myself to hate or disdain religious people.
>>
>>34604792
>In the end though, I really can't bring myself to hate or disdain religious people.

Personally I envy them in some regards
>>
>>34604404
whats wrong with atheism, OP? I mean, I understand if they're the reddit fedora kind, but simply not believing in a god isnt bad in and of itself.
>>
>>34604404
I grew up in an extremely strict catholic home. Now I'm agnostic. I wouldn't say by choice. It's just my default setting now. I do still enough reading Thomas Aquinas and St. Augustine though.
>>
Its not that actually. Of course there needs to be restrictions and discipline within our society because without it there would be degeneracy and we would fall back into our primitive instincts, ultimately leading to the fall of civilization. I respect Christianity for shaping the west but I just can't believe all those miracle nonsense the religious try to push

>I-I went to heaven
>God filled my gas tank when I was stranded
>God gave me the ability to block bullets from thugs

As someone who has read the Bible you know that Mainstream Christianity today is a cuck religion
>>
>>34604865
nothing inherently awful about it
just had to let it out after reading some posts circlejerking about how they're impulsive and rebellious teen-selves decided how to live their lives
>>
>>34604502
A - anti

T - truth

H - harbouring

E - enterprise

I - infecting

S - society

T - tactilly
>>
>>34606464
Wow first time I've heard of atheists portrayed as anti truth. Somebody wake me up
>>
Catholic upbringing, but nothing strict > loss of interest in catholicism > agnostic
Nothing against folks who believe in God, organized religion just isn't my thing.
>>
>>34606464
Your reading comprehension needs work. I asked "what do atheists stand for?" not "what does atheist stand for?"
>>
Why are atheists, agnostics and secularists so dumb?

>Yeah! Fuck God! Fuck faith! We are all free now! We don't need oppressive religious beliefs!
>Oh no! I'm alone, angst ridden, and directionless! My life means nothing, the people I hang out with are shallow, and I can't find a wife who isn't a slut! Help me, oppressive religious beliefs!
>>
>>34606628
I'm jealous of you religiousfags. I wish I could be deluded into happiness and belongin
>>
>>34606637

When you use language like "deluded", its plain to see that you are closing your heart to God.

Stop being so stubborn.

Accept that searching for God, letting him into your life, and praying isn't "deluding" yourself.
Yeah, the journey of faith is hard, but being a bitter atheist is harder in the end
>>
>>34606690
Are you referring the the Christian God or one of the countless thousands of others conceived by humanity throughout the ages?
>>
>>34606690
jehova is a wanker
>>
What do you call one person with an imaginary friendo? A mental patient

What do you call a group of people sharing an imaginary friendo? Religion
>>
>>34606637
atheism is the epitome of deluded and futile happiness
e.g living for the sake of the finite enjoyment of drugs, sex, partying, and more selfish, nihilistic activities
>>
>>34606805
Fuck off moralfag and take your strawman with you.
>>
>>34606805
>atheists can't live a traditional conservative lifestyle because I said so!!!
Nice strawman but you can fuck off. Just because I don't believe in you "god" who is about as real as Santa doesn't mean I'm amoral as well.
>>
>>34606805
You don't need religion to have meaningful relationships with other people. I live for my own happiness and the happiness of those I hold dear

I bet you're only nice so you don't get sent to "hell" when you finally die. Stop taking the moral high ground.
>>
>>34606805
woo hoo kek

Nigga is that what your pastor told you atheists do? Enjoy your pic related.
>>
>>34606842
>>34606837
>>34606824
>>34606855
I appear to have touched a nerve
>>
>>34606874
Faulty logic tends to trigger people around here. try harder next time
>>
>>34606874
>act retarded for (You)s
>G-Guess I touched a nevre, I must be right!
>>
>>34606739

Human history has been a journey to understand the nature of God.
Are you going to turn your back on that?

>>34606747

The Lord God is all loving and all good.
I believe that the iron age Jewish understanding of God is primitive, but an important step in spiritual history
>>
>>34606805
Tfw you athiest and you're the nicest and most boring person ever....where did i go wrong guys?!
>>
>>34606903
>Human history has been a journey to understand the nature of God.

>literally "All those other gods were just variations of my god", the post

All of human history has been trying to understand the nature of the universe, God is just an outdated model for understanding how things work. We don't need to believe lightning is Zues' wrath anymore, we know it's caused by electric charges in the atmosphere.
>>
>>34606927
Don't try to use logic. he is immune while upon his holy high-horse
>>
>>34606927

Your rational explaination doesn't explain mysteries like human conciousness and existence.

It doesn't explain why you and so many other people are miserable these days
>>
>>34606903
I would argue that religion has caused some of the greatest chasms in history. It all just comes down to my god is better than your god.
>>
>>34606956
>Your rational explaination doesn't explain mysteries like human conciousness and existence.

Agreed but I believe that his entire point is humans attributed what they couldn't understand to the divine.

In essence the divine exists in the ever shrinking mysteries of the universe. Eventually there will be no room left for it in the world and you will have to face reality
>>
>>34606970

I'd argue that those chasms were caused by human nature. Religion and politics and tribalism are just afterthoughts

The pure love of God has caused no chasms
>>
>>34606882
>>34606884
denial makes any argument seem faulty
>>
Since when have
>atheists are edgy
>some teenagers are atheists
Been arguments for the existence of god?
>>
>>34606956
>Your rational explaination doesn't explain mysteries like human conciousness and existence.
And neither does your religion, "dude god lmao" with no testable statements isn't any solid evidence for explanation either.

>It doesn't explain why you and so many other people are miserable these days
Because non-chad men are shunned by society and since we're in a free sexual market they don't get much sex either.
Turns out animals with the primary biological purpose to reproduce don't feel very happy when they don't get to reproduce, who would have though?
It has nothing to do with "not having god in their hearts" and everything to do with the existence of a free sexual market. And you don't need god to have a monogamous marriage based culture, before you even start bullshitting me.

"Religious morals and values" aren't actually exclusive to religions and really anything could be a "religious value". There's nothing inherently "good" about religious morals.
>>
File: 1420176765614.jpg (21KB, 251x251px) Image search: [Google]
1420176765614.jpg
21KB, 251x251px
>muh Christianity
>I'm going to quote you from this fictional book to prove a point that I'm right

Every Christian argument ever.
>>
>>34607016
Get off your moral high-horse, Jesus would be disgusted in you
>>
>>34606986

I doubt that science or reason can ever touch on the things I mentioned.

I mean, if through experimentation, logic, and reason we ever uncover the purpose of existance, or what it means to be alive, or what our individual lives mean in the grand scheme of things, or what it means to be a good human, that would be amazing.
To have an objective answer to those questions would be huge.
But all of that is in the spiritual, other worldly domain.
Science is merely about the physical universe. It can't extend beyond that
>>
>>34606992
The problem occurs when there is more than one interpretation of "God".

>The pure love of God has caused no chasms
Then why did the cunt make us so faulty that we are constantly at each others throats about the smallest things?

Really makes you think dunnit
>>
>>34607052
>or what our individual lives mean in the grand scheme of things

These are all individual things that have nothing to do with god. Your life is what you make it
>>
>>34607052
>uncover the purpose of existance
There is none
>what it means to be alive
To consume energy and procreate
>what our individual lives mean in the grand scheme of things
Nothing at all
>what it means to be a good human,
Good is subjective

>spiritual, otherwordly domain
Give even one (1) piece of solid evidence this even exists and maybe people would believe your bullshit.
>>
>>34606956
>Your rational explaination doesn't explain
yet. Once upon a time rational explanations couldn't explain how the fuck fire worked.

It's all reduced to a powerplay between science and gods. Theoretically, the more questions science answers, the less things are attributed to a god's might. However, every question answered generates even more specific ones. In the end it's a race where you can't ever catch up, and god will always be the placeholder answer for all unresolved questions.
>>
>>34607035

Approach meditation and prayer with a scientists mind and see where that takes you. Turn your mind to God. Indulge in "delusion". Stop distracting yourself with worldly things

>Because non-chad men are shunned by society and since we're in a free sexual market they don't get much sex either.

It wasn't always like that though. It was only recently, with the rise of secularism, that free love came about.

In religious society, people were much happier. Back when people valued marriage and most people got married. But you atheists thought is was "oppressive" and threw it all away. And now you are predictably complaining about how miserable you are. You got your "free love". Now tell me, how "free" do you feel?

Just give it up. Give up secular society. Give up atheism.
Start asociating with people who are religiously minded, then you will find happiness.
I guarentee you, as long as you are part of that culture, you will be miserable
>>
>there's more than one religion
>some religions are directly incompatible with each other
>what is "right" in one religion can be "wrong" in another
>in certain religions, based on what rights and wrongs you do you will be punished or rewarded upon death
>what religion you get depends on where you are born
>everything related to the religions are obviously written by humans

How delusional do you have to be in order to buy into this crap? It goes completely against rational thought. Religion is the biggest bluepill there is.
>>
File: stirner.png (8KB, 238x211px) Image search: [Google]
stirner.png
8KB, 238x211px
>>34607118
>completley ignores the part of my post where I tore apart the "RELIGIOUS SOCIETY WAS BETTER BECAUSE IT HAD VALUES AND MORALS" argument
Are you stupid? We don't need to give up atheism or secularism to return to a monogamous culture without a free sexual market.
Read my fucking post numbnuts.

You are seriously retarded.

>But you atheists thought is was "oppressive" and threw it all away.
Nice strawman but guess what, not beliveing in a magical skywizard doesn't automatically make me an SJW liberal, it just makes me a conservative like I always was except I DON'T BELIEVE IN A SKYWIZARD. THAT'S IT. STOP TRYING TO ASSIGN POLITICAL BELIEFS TO ME BECAUSE YOU CAN'T WIN YOUR ARGUMENT UNLESS YOU BLAME "ATHEISM" FOR ALL THE WORLD WOES YOU FUCKING NONCE.

>Now tell me, how "free" do you feel?
More free than I do when around religious moral busybodies you fucking spook.
>>
File: wikidicks.jpg (50KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
wikidicks.jpg
50KB, 500x375px
I'm just an atheist because I don't find the idea of god possible
I can't find god because of the reason I can't believe an orange is blue
That said I don't think any less of people who are religious, they believe in God and that's their truth they can't unsee, we're just different sides of the same coin no matter who's right at the end of the day
>>
>>34607061

>Then why did the cunt make us so faulty that we are constantly at each others throats about the smallest things?

That's the problem of evil, right?

Why didn't God just make us always good and incapable of sin?
Because he breathed life into us.
The definition of being "alive" or "sapient" is an entity being able to reason and make decisions.
If we were always good and incapable of evil, we wouldn't be making decisions. We would just be automatons going through the motions.
We wouldn't fit the definition of life.

So really, you are just asking why God doesn't just kill us all and turn the universe into a puppet show.

God gave us life for some reason. I'm not sure why. But I feel the goal of life is to attempt to understand that, or at least understand how to live and what it means to be good.
>>
File: Lesmuganimeface.jpg (69KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Lesmuganimeface.jpg
69KB, 640x360px
>>34604404
The tragedy is atheists are some of the most vehement Christians of all. They don't question the protestant mode of social dynamics. Where the poor are burdened with honor, honesty, and virtue... as if that'll accomplish anything while the rich go around doing eyes wide shut shit.

It's disgusting, Protestants are disgusting. And I'm not trying to be some deus vult edgelord Catholic here, I'm saying Catholics at least aren't retarded about their tradcon bullshit. I could go without that too though quite honestly.

No Christian wants to acknowledge my "Christian nihilism" which proves it touches a nerve. They won't even challenge or condemn it, just pretend they never heard it. The short version is the church is designed as a safe haven for the neet and the loser. "The meek shall inherent the Earth". It is the job of the homeless man, the leper, the beta male, to take control of the church and use it as a shadow government for the protection of himself and those like him. Just as the church did against the king and merchants, so too it must do today against the global military, the feds, and the corporate oligarchy. Governance is not linear, it is a contradiction of powers and interests and the church is still very much relevant in that contradiction but takes on a more escapist role of having a means to get away from being bound to the whims of the "devil" so to speak. This world and it's different bodies of government belong to do the devil, but notice they can't even tax let alone control what the church does...

That's Christian nihilism. But notice no mention of marrying some cunt or not lying to people's faces.
>>
give me some proof on why you think god is real ? other than the bible
with so much scientific proof that contradicts that its almost impossible
>>
>>34607190
But he did make us free of sin and he wanted to keep us as the automatons you described. But in some twisted freak of logic this omnipotent, omniscient being fucked up and also made a talking snake that manged to lead us astray
>>
This is one of the most bewildering common threads on r9k. What can you possibly hope to achieve by acting condescendingly towards atheists?

I mean, if you're worried about my eternal soul, thanks I guess. I still don't believe in God any more after reading your passively aggressive shit but I'll try to appreciate the gesture.
>>
>>34607221
Mate you better pipe the fuck down or I'll smack you right in your aura
>>
>>34607194
>the church is designed as a safe haven for the neet and the loser.
>the church is made to help homeless people
And that's why they demanded tithes even from the poor and used the money to buy quality food and drink for the clergy while the poor starved?

Really makes you think.
>>
>>34604404
There is nothing "edgy" about being atheist.

I am, but I've never been mean to catholics or insulted them for their faith (though I think it's illogical to believe in the soul)
>>
>>34604404
Will the "atheism is bad" meme ever end?
>>
>>34607080

How could you know that life has no purpose?
What experiment has proven that?
What reasoning?

You can't prove this, and you can't disprove it.
Likewise, you can't prove the existence of God, and you can't disprove it.

Thinking in terms of "prove" and "disprove" is meaningless when trying to solve the problem of existence.
Meditate. Pray. Set your mind to something higher. Only then will you find the answer.

>>34607085

Man's rudimentary understanding of God was a being that caused physical phenomena.
But we have grown wiser. We understand the universe better, and that puts us in a position to understand God better.

>>34607163

You just said that you don't need a god to have a monogamous culture.
But you do.

It's hard for people to hold fast to morals when their isn't a hard, stony foundation like faith.
You can see that by just observing modern society.
People chasing short term happiness, and finding distractions from their misery.
Secular culture doesn't work.
You have a scientists mind. you should be able to see that.
Leave that culture behind. It will kill you.
>>
>>34607249
> Thinking in terms of "prove" and "disprove" is meaningless when trying to solve the problem of existence.

Sure, but shouldn't it follow that the question itself is irrelevant, rather than that you need to sit still until you can convince yourself or an answer?
>>
>>34607249
You can prove easily that the soul isn't immortal, personality can change, your memories can be destroyed, even your level of intelligence can change, and needless to say our bodies can change.

Out destiny isn't different from that of rocks or plants, eventually what defines us dies, once you realize that everything is bound to change, uncluding the ego (aka individual soul) you can't really believe in religions like Christianity or Islam.

Maybe there is a design (though I doubt it) But sure as hell eternal life, meant in the individual sense, can't exist.

T.Not him.
>>
>>34607220

I will admit that the book of genesis doesn't conform to the mystical view of God (God having a physical form, not being all knowing etc)
But most people see the garden of eden story as metaphorical, concerning themes like pride, and being led astray by our physical impulses.

I see the whole old testament as a story about man beginning to understand the nature of God, and, of course, the view is primitive.
>>
>>34604490
What a cuck. Can't even stand up to your wife and block her from indoctrinating your kid.
>>
>>34607249
>dismisses a point because "You can't prove or disprove it"
>then tells him to go pray to something YOU can't prove or disprove
He might as well go pray to the square root of 2 if you want him to believe in concepts that aren't proven yet.

>You just said that you don't need a god to have a monogamous culture.
>But you do.
[Citation Needed]
>You have a scientists mind. you should be able to see that.
No, I can see that the issue is not in secular culture but in "jewish schemes", womens rights and males lacking the authority they held in the past.
And you don't need religion to fix any of those things. "God" is just an outdated concept of an "all seeing judge that will garunteed punish you" because in the medieval ages that was the best they had. Nowdays you can have a police force be the all seeing judge that delivers punishment.

God is just an outdated moral control mechanism for a population.
>>
>>34607276
How do you sort the metaphor from the fact?
>>
>>34606464
> muh degeneracy
> muh moral monopoly
It's a /pol/tard guys. Just ignore him.
>>
>shitposting - the thread
>>
>>34606690
Once you take the red pill you can't go back my dude.
>>
>>34607271

Existence and suffering is still a problem, and while we are alive, it still needs to be solved.
Like I said, science can't solve those problems and bring us peace.
I believe meditation, prayer, and learning to understand ourselves and God is the only way.
If you have an alternative, let me know.

>>34607275

That's an old philosophy of mind problem.
Even though we are constantly changing; constantly dying and bbeing born moment to moment, those infinite continuous personnalities seem to be connected by some sort of thread.
Like a continuing awareness.

What is left after you strip away a persons experience, memories, intelligence, and nature?
What is the ongoing essence?
I'm not sure, and I don't have confidence that science will ever give an adequate answer.
>>
>>34607335
Hi I'm an atheist and I think you're a twit. Pls stop acting like a twit, it makes us all look bad.
>>
>>34606956
Human consciousness is the result of a network of newrons transmitting action potentials.
We exist because the laws of physics allow us to.
I don't know where you got the idea that people are miserable. Do you go outside or browse something other than r9k?
>>
>>34607309

All of societies ills seem to be traced back to a breakdown of morality.
And like I said, its hard to remain moral without a base of faith. Maybe not impossible, but hard.
Certainly too hard for the masses.

But the truth is, we are all weak in some way.
It's hard to admit, but we need that "moral control mechanism".
You must be able to see that.
I hope society can return to the old, Godly days, so you and many other people don't have to suffer.

>>34607316

Philosophy and meditation.
Meditating on the scriptures reveals many truths.
You should try it.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (11KB, 410x324px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
11KB, 410x324px
>>34607249
>But we have grown wiser. We understand the universe better, and that puts us in a position to understand God better.
Rudimentary knowledge is subjective to which point in history you're standing in. Our knowledge today will most likely be extremely rudimentary to the Year 2500 person because of the exponential nature of knowledge development itself. What if we find answers for the biggest mysteries of our time? I don't expect the concept of god simply disappearing, but becoming increasingly abstract to the point where it becomes nigh-impossible to even conceptualize. What will omnipotence be in a time where the origins of natural phenomena become explained in a language all humans can understand? Ofc I'm assuming by a longshot here, and I won't be here to see if time tells me right anyway.
>>
>>34607352
>What is left after you strip away a persons experience, memories, intelligence, and nature?

Nothing, it's a completely different individual, you can easily see that by damaging one's brain you can basically turn him into a plant or a retard, by realizing that someone's personality, the very way he perceives things can change, then we can conclude that an individual "immortal" soul cannot exist.

Think about eraesing someone's memory and personality, his old "self" is basically dead, the only thing that's intact it's his ability to be self aware but he's another person now, his "old" self might as well be dead now.
>>
>>34607379

We can study the patterns of neurons in the brain and how they can influence thinking.
But what about your own "feeling" of being alive.
That "qualia".
Again, scientific explaination seems to stop at the bounds of the physical universe, and can't explain phenomena like that.

And just from observing the world around me, I see a lot of people who aren't miserable per se, but just hopelessly distracted by trivial things.
Like they are always a single step away from having to face the existential horrors, but they always find something to turn their minds back to worldly things without having to face it.
Maybe people aren't as happy as you think.
>>
>>34607383
>I hope society can return to the old, Godly days, so you and many other people don't have to suffer.

>he thinks no-one suffered in the "old godly days"
Take off the rose tinted glasses and stop drinking the holy Kool Aid. People still suffered in religious times.
I'd "suffer" a lot less if religous moral busybodies stopped trying to convert and ridicule me for not praying to their flying spaghetti monster.

>It's hard to admit, but we need that "moral control mechanism".
And it doesn't have to be a god. A strong surveillance system or police force works just as well. In the future we might even be able to have an unbiased artificial intelligence do the majority of "observation and judgement" for lawbreakers.
God is obsolete and we can do better.
>>
>>34607249
Burden of proof is on you bruh
>>
>>34607355
It's like you're under the impression that I care. So weird.
>>
>>34607466
How would you build an unbiased artificial intelligence? How can you judge it is perfect? Non-religious anon here, just wondering.
The concept reminds me of Psycho-Pass' Sybill System. Spoiler: it wasn't as good as it sounds.
>>
File: fuura.png (480KB, 848x482px) Image search: [Google]
fuura.png
480KB, 848x482px
>tfw never fell for the christian meme
I was basically raised areligious and taught to only put trust in myself and people close to me instead of God. Dad always had a strict policy of no bullshit allowed so even though my mom believes it was never forced on me.

So I've been agnostic atheist for over 20 years now but most importantly I don't even give a fuck whether a God exists or not, I'm going to live my life like I want regardless. I have my subjective understanding of morality and I'll use it.

Don't think there is anything wrong if you can believe in something greater than yourself, I mean I might be happier if that were the case but it's just not for me.
>>
>>34607408

If it is possible, I look forward to the day when scientists stumble upon those answers.
Why we are here. What our purpose is. Why there is good and evil. The true nature of conciousness. And how we can forever put an end to suffering.

The problem is, if those answers are possible, they might not come to us in our lifetime.
Our existence is still a problem to be pondered.
And maybe turning your mind to God isn't a satisfying solution to you, but to me, it seems like the best approach.

I mean, what else can we do?

>>34607420

I'm not so sure.
I still think there is a "thread" connecting moment to moment in a continuous string of consciousness that connects you to the person sitting in your chair and typing on your computer 3 seconds ago.
>>
>>34607504
>I still think there is a "thread" connecting moment to moment in a continuous string of consciousness that connects you to the person sitting in your chair and typing on your computer 3 seconds ago.

Yeah, it's called memory, that's why I was talking about ereasing someone's memory.
>>
>>34607491
>How would you build an unbiased artificial intelligence?
"Does x action break any of y laws? If yes, notify authorities"
Basically a glorified crime alarm, you'd refine it's recognition of actions as you develop and use it.

Think CCTV that can tell if someone just got stabbed. Even that is more effective than "god" at stopping a crime.
>>
File: Thefedora.jpg (190KB, 1067x800px) Image search: [Google]
Thefedora.jpg
190KB, 1067x800px
>>34607466
le reddit euphoria
>>
>>34607446
What the fuck is a qualia? I think you're just making up shit to force a divide between "real" and "supernatural" where there is none. We don't investigate things based on "feels" for a reason.
Besides that I'd love to see statistical evidence of this plague of existential nihilism in the population. How prevalent is it?
>>
>>34607525
Nice to know you've run out of arguments there buddy. You sure showed me by posting a funny hat meme. Want me to post a christcuck being retarded in response and imply that every one of you is that retarded?
>>
>>34607466

A strong surveillance system with a police force, huh?

Okay. Say we did implement that.
We'll force people to be good and rightous.
Fornication and other lewdness is banned.
Family oriented society is enforced.
People are all assigned jobs to do.
No one is allowed to feel negative emotions.
It is a utopia.

But then someone is going to ask "but if God isn't real and there is nothing after you die, then why shouldn't we just enjoy life?"

And someone else asks "Why should we follow these rules. What 'greater good' do they serve if everything is meaningless?"

And then more people ask those questions.
And then it comes to a majority rule, because no one believes in God or the afterlife.
The police state is viewed as "opressive" and it is slowly dismantled until everyone has more and more freedoms. And now we are back at the start.

Wow.
That didn't last long.
I think you might want to revise your idea.
>>
>>34607383
If you believe it's hard to remain moralswithout the threat of retribution from sky-daddy you're a pretty shitty human being
>>
>>34607043
>What is Thomas Aquinas
>>
>>34607585
>but then blah blah blah
Because I'd be doing all this on a mars colony where every prson there already believes in the values of a traditional degeneracy free society?

I know my hypothetical is impossible while we still live on earth because all the land is claimed, any country you make will have people with differing political opinions.

Take away the chance that "Hurr people might think otherwise" potential and try to find another flaw in it.
>>
>>34607504
>what else can we do?
Maybe just recognize and make peace with the notion that true answers to those questions >might not come to us in our lifetime ?
It's not that I hate the concept of god, and if he actually exists he knows I'd love to be able to believe in him/her/it, but I really have no cues for it. I've grown accustomed to science providing reasonably solid proof for the answers they give to us, and I don't have... the patience? to accept answers that cannot be thorougly supported by anyone or anything. Not for something as relevant and huge as the existence of an omnipotent being, at least.

Plus there's still the fact that most questions previously answered by god have now science-proven, comprehensible answers. As far as I can possibly know, experience tells me that more important questions being solved by humans is more plausible than getting proof of god's workings...
>>
>>34607560
calm down there hat man, that was my first post in this thread. im sure you knew that through you enlightement through.
>>
sure is edgy in here
>>
>>34607522
But aren't laws themselves biased? How can anyone build a machine able to accurately recognize when a person is being good or bad when the same concepts of good or bad are so blurry? And how will the AI even know what is good and bad? You can't have the developers define even the most basic lines because that would already imprint their biases on it.
>>
>>34607607

We're all shitty human beings.
We need to throw away our pride and accept that.

>>34607618

You have quite the imagination.
I suppose your ideal society would work for at least one generation
>>
>>34607181
You have to go back.
dddd
>>
>>34607713
>But aren't laws themselves biased?
Yes and? So are religious morals. There's no issue here. I already said in another post though I have no desire to force this system on people, the laws being biased is a non-issue when everyone being watched by it chose to be in that society in the first place and therefore would agree with the laws.

>>34607746
>I suppose your ideal society would work for at least one generation
Why would it break down after one?
>You have quite the imagination
Well so do religicucks so I think it's fine.
>>
File: 1480557395566.jpg (103KB, 500x540px) Image search: [Google]
1480557395566.jpg
103KB, 500x540px
>Christianity today teaches and encourages people to love each other, forgive wrongdoings, help the needy, do better every day and cherish life
>"lmao christians still believe in an imaginary sky man, fuck off dorks"
>>
>>34608046
>a specific type of Christianity**
>>
File: 1485849802972.jpg (17KB, 414x415px) Image search: [Google]
1485849802972.jpg
17KB, 414x415px
>met all kinds of religious people due to my job
>they all have this "nice" husk personality
>give them some time and they are literally the most disgusting two-faced asshole cunt bitches on the planet
>atheists have this "asshole" husk personality
>give them time and theyre the nicest most caring open-minded intelligent cool chill people on the planet

All religions are based on fear so it makes sense all their followers are batshit insane
>>
>>34604732
>tfw when this retard has more friends and pussy than you will ever have
>>
>>34608396
absolutely speechless :^)
>>
>>34604404
Whats the issue?

I were born into religious dumbasses and I left at 15. I were held back by any and everything related to god and It were becoming a problem. I'm 23 now and avoid all of my religious family members.
>>
>tfw life has no intrinsic value
>there is no greater purpose

i hate that every other person that i share this belief with is an edgy cunt
>>
>>34607242
It seems to have become really popular recently, probably because it never fails to get hundreds of replies to these dumb threads.
>>
>>34604522
I also went from catholic to atheism and then to a more philosophical point of view but I like giordano bruno more than spinoza (who was inspired by him anyway)
I'd still rather support atheists than the religious cancer
>>
>>34607789
If it was as easy as that, we wouldn't need that system as people would already comply with the preexisting laws. And even if a whole generation somehow manages to achieve complete consensus and approve the implementation of such a system, or any other to be fair, you'd still have the issue that each new individual born under it had no voice in the matter and would have it impossed upon them.

Pretty much the same problems we already have under current legal systems. Nobody chose to live under its rule, and some of them are arguably right to resent it.
>>
>>34609037
>giordano bruno

Whats the difference between him and spinoza?
>>
>>34604522
>agnostic

Ugh. People need to stop pretending Agnosticism is a middle-man/mutually-exclusive.

It's on the same level as the "edgy atheist" you left to think as such.
>>
>>34609374
I dont see why do you believe i pretended that. The fact that it was on the middle of my (maybe still going) religious evolution doesnt mean i think its the middle path.

That said, i feel like agnotisticism is saying absolutely nothing and thinking nothing. Its kind of like a no-religion even more than atheism.
>>
>>34604490
Same but reversed, I'm catholic and my wife if an atheist, she's preggo and our kid is gonna be raised catholic
>>
File: 1_1.png (9KB, 800x701px) Image search: [Google]
1_1.png
9KB, 800x701px
>>34604490
whyareyouevenhere.mov
>>
>>34604565
It comforts them so they delude themselves.
>>
>>34604535
My family was similar. My family has never gone to church, and as a kid they would put me in those church youth clubs which is basically a kid watching service. Now that me and my brother are all in and out of highschool they really don't ask or care what we believe in. I've never really asked how they are. If I had to guess I'd say really really really relaxed Christians where the only thing they do is not swear. I'm agnostic atheist and no ideas how my brothers are. The only devout Christian in my family is my cousin who started becoming devout when she was like 15.
Thread posts: 128
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.