[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth it to learn programming and become a freelancer who

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: jesus4.jpg (16KB, 301x421px)
jesus4.jpg
16KB, 301x421px
Is it worth it to learn programming and become a freelancer who works from home? Can you live off that? Is someone here who works from home?

It would be the ultimate compromise between NEET and worker.
>>
>>34602652
>Is someone here who works from home?
my dad works from home as a project manager

he has a PMP certification, that's all

other relevant certifications for those types of jobs are Sigma and idk stuff like that

he gets paid well, six figures, and unironically just gets paid for planning meetings and shit, he has absolutely no education (although he does have experience, didn't start at 100k obviously)

There are many things you can learn which would allow you to easily get a job, maybe from home.

Programming and web design are some - selling and managing websites is a very lucrative business for many people, but you would need to build a portfolio and work p hard to advertise yourself in order to get clients.

Some easy certifications you can get to easily get well paying jobs are things like CAD / CAM drafting, welding, and medical coding.

Those take roughly 2 semesters at a local community college to learn, after which you could get a 40-60k job quite easily.
>>
>>34602652
becoming a freelancer/consultant who works from home comes after years of having a career first. if you want to get to that point, go to school and then work in the industry for awhile.

and if i can be honest for a second i'm fucking sick of seeing alienated intp suburban fuckwads thinking programming is their way out. i do everything in my power to make sure faggot script kiddies fresh out of codeacademy.com do not make it onto my projects even though my company has a shitty college job/intern program. either get serious, throw away what you think programming is, go to school to learn what programming is, then go to the industry and learn what programming really is.... or stay the fuck out of an already saturated market. btw, programming is a terrible career choice for robots. you get the absolute fuck judged out of you all the time (and have to let it roll off of you) and people literally rely on you to communicate clearly to get their jobs done. seriously. if you're a typical robot you'd be more comfortable at mcdonalds than you would at a code monkey job.
>>
Make a video game.
Submit it to Kongregate.
Use basic social media marketing.
If it's good, people will play it.

Real web programmers use HTML5 and JavaScript. HTML5 is the open web standard. Flash and ActionScript are proprietary Adobe software. Programmer tools and standards should all be open-source so that the industry can maintain them. Proprietary technology is only appropriate for the end products. Flash is deprecated anyway because it is inefficient and runs slowly. Don't add to the problem of shitty, slow flash webgames.

Don't let the poor quality of the HTML5 games on Kongregate fool you. HTML5 is superior technology, but all of the experienced developers on Kongregate still use Flash because they are used to it. You should care more about delivering a superior user experience than about whatever Adobe tells you to do with their overpriced products.

Also, real businessmen use open source tools such as the GIMP raster image editing, Inkscape vector graphics, and Blender 3d graphics software where possible and help to maintain them. A businessman spends less money rather than more money were practical.

If your game uses the keyboard, include an options for the user to edit the key layout so that international users or users with different preferences can play how they like.

Happy coding! If you're good, make brilliant products and make bank. If you're not good, get good, make brilliant products, and make bank.

Check out the Extra Credits YouTube channel for informational videos on game development from industry insiders.
>>
>>34602940
OP does not need an expensive college education. Have you been to college lately? College students are morons. College is where you go to pay far too much to have overworked professors and TA's hand-hold your way through learning stuff that is already available to the public for free. College is for rich idiots who don't know how to learn. Real academics use the library.

But you are right that Codeacademy does not output leet hackers. OP, go on the learnprogramming and learnmath subreddits and on Stack Exchange and follow their advice. You can totally read books for free at the library. Interlibrary loan can get you whatever book you want. Learn the pants off of mathematics and formal logic, obsessively study whatever you need to, don't accept anything less than outstanding work from yourself, and test your products ad absurdum. You'll be fine.

Don't let anyone tell you you can't do it. But be willing to work damned hard, be patient, start small, practice, and don't publish shitty work.
>>
>>34603138
>OP does not need an expensive college education. Have you been to college lately? College students are morons. College is where you go to pay far too much to have overworked professors and TA's hand-hold your way through learning stuff that is already available to the public for free. College is for rich idiots who don't know how to learn. Real academics use the library.
I don't think you should generalize all college students like this anon

there are many things you cannot learn [well] outside of school
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.