[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one feasible live a life of train hopping? https:/

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0223.jpg (117KB, 735x490px)
IMG_0223.jpg
117KB, 735x490px
How does one feasible live a life of train hopping?

https://youtu.be/NDGfHb4ygnA
>>
>>34551102
It was barely feasible 100 years ago, it's impossible today.
>>
>>34551102
that pic would be top comfy if it weren't for all of the bugs that I imagine live in that grass
>>
>>34551102
how does one feasibly live in a van on the road like a hippie
>>
>>34551102
It's still a thing. Crusties are usually just trusties on a gap year from NYU, or something. A greyhound ticket three hundred miles is like $10, so I don't really get hopping on a train.
>>
1. Train hopping is for the experienced only. You hitchhike to get where you're going 80% of the time. It can be scary but unless you're a woman chances are you won't need to employ your pocket knife. Which you SHOULD have, by the way.
2. How averse are you to dumpster diving? Not even hobos eat mouldy bread with garbage water in it but for the most part a good part of a crusty's diet is day-old pastries fished out of a grocery store dumpster. If you're American it's pretty easy to find food pantries in literally any neighborhood (unless you're in the appalachians or a mining town where everyone's poor)
3. Trainhopping can get you in deep legal shit. After 9/11 there's federal cops in every railyard ("bulls").
4. Once you get into the lifestyle, you're in it for good. "I was a homeless vagrant for three years" is a shredder magnet on a resume. If you want to get out of that you'd better hope you can find a friend willing to give you an address and a bathroom so a fucking mcdonald's manager can trust you enough to hire you. It's not a death sentence to a career but you basically start again from square one.
5. Do not, do NOT, do NOT NOT NOT enter a major city without some means of leaving planned out. Cities will trap you. If you expect to just be able to take a bus in and walk out prepare to get chewed up and spat out.
6. Do you like camping? You do now.
7. Do you like your own BO and not even showering for weeks on end? You do now.
8. Are you comfortable with literally everything you own, your house, your means of survival, on your back? Are you willing to give up pretty much all means of security in your life and trade it for hoping nobody bothers to fuck with you?

Being a traveller is fun as hell, but it's not for everyone.

I'd encourage NEETs without buxx to consider it. You've got nothing to lose, right?
>>
>>34551102
Learn all there is to know about trains and freights.
Learn about the track layout, what train goes where- etc.
Be cautious of railroad officials catching you, they will have you arrested.
If you ever need to jump on one- do not let it accelerate faster than you can sprint even for a moment.. You'll jump & probably sucked up in the engine.
>>
>>34551584
Be in Southern California. That's about it.
>>
>>34551781
>5. Do not, do NOT, do NOT NOT NOT enter a major city without some means of leaving planned out. Cities will trap you. If you expect to just be able to take a bus in and walk out prepare to get chewed up and spat out.
explain?
>>
>>34551781
I think he means that you'll be enjoying yourself around other homeless people and going to the feeds and just chillin' comfortably until you think it's time to go, and you're mysteriously pulled back. Sometimes even circling nearby cities.

This happened to me a lot in Oakland, San Francisco, and Berkeley. I kept trying to go to Arizona but kept ending up back to the bay area, to my own dismay.

Sometimes people will refer to it as a vortex. Assuming that's what he's talking about t's not really a big deal, but I guess he's thinking you'll become a homebum this way (a homeless person who doesn't travel).

He sounds a little freaky about everything but it's not complicated. I never hopped trains (still want to) but I did hitchhike all around the US alone as a female and it wasn't a big deal. Maybe just luck.

Bottom line is like he says though: you have to be okay with no luxuries, being dirty, and eating out of the trash. I suppose you don't HAVE to eat out of the trash, but it's really helpful and even fun in downtown areas on the weekends when people are throwing away their fresh sushi leftovers and stuff.
>>
>>34552050
He's retarded. You can take a bus as long as you have money, and you can walk out because there's literally no reason you can'.
>>
>>34551781
A autistic neckbeard prepper prolly wrote this.
Dude, you can put away your 5" pocket knife, the zombie apocalypse isn't going to happen. Your dreams are just some Hollywood creation.
>>
>>34552510
This. I live in Pittsburgh and I see backpackers passing through all the time.
>>
File: wojak.png (40KB, 294x335px) Image search: [Google]
wojak.png
40KB, 294x335px
>ywn live on the road with a drifter gf
>>
>>34553052
Whats keeping you from getting a GF?

Serious question.
>>
File: 1864256.jpg (483KB, 1193x800px) Image search: [Google]
1864256.jpg
483KB, 1193x800px
I wish I wasn't such a pussy so I could do this shit. Brings me back to being an edgy anarchist crust punk teenager back in 2005 with dreams of dropping out of society and hopping trains and squatting and listening to shitty folk punk.

But I'm a socially retarded robot with no ability to make friends even with other outcasts. You've got to make friends and connections in this kind of lifestyle and also be socially savvy enough to scope out the sketchy scumfucks.

There's usually a homeless general thread on /out/, a lot of anons there hate hobos but I'm sure there are some who can give you some advice.
>>
>>34551781
>I'd encourage NEETs without buxx to consider it. You've got nothing to lose, right?
What exactly do you mean?
>>
>>34552510
>you can take a bus as long as you have money,
meaning either you're an oogie trust fund baby or you've prepared. That's what I meant.
>or you can just walk out
Yeah, just walk out of the city by sundown, ezpz

dipshit

>>34553743
If you're not worried about explaining that gap to a future employer because you don't think you'll have any future employers, for example.
>>
File: snot.png (171KB, 498x498px) Image search: [Google]
snot.png
171KB, 498x498px
>>34551781

>tfw $101,000 in the bank
>tfw thinking about being a vagabond because I absolutely despise working

The idea of travelling around doing whatever I want sounds max comfy. Much better than having anxiety attacks at work.
>>
>>34554091
Yea but people who always travel have a hard time building any sort of relationships and in this sad sad world relationships are everything
>>
>>34554362
Traveling homelessly is like heroin. Regular life in one place will always pale in comparison
>>
>>34554508
How can you compare Heroin to that statement?
>>
>>34554712
Traveling around homelessly is a really fun and exciting way to live life. Not to mention free. After a while of that, staying in one place becomes difficult, because you see how easy it would be to return to that lifestyle, and you're itching to do it again.
>>
>>34554362

What's this meme about needing connections in the hobo world? Do I need to claim references when I get inducted into the Hobo Academy?
>>
>>34551102
Go to rainbow gathering and hop on a bus with someone
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.