[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm 24 years old and I just feel so lost, I'm working

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: 19.jpg (58KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
19.jpg
58KB, 620x349px
I'm 24 years old and I just feel so lost, I'm working a part time mediocre job making $8 an hour. I have a B.A but it's in a field that I have no experience in, plus I can't find work in it without experience. My mom is pressuring me HEAVILY to go into graduate school, but I don't think a graduate school would accept me with such a pitiful GPA. She claims that if I got an M.A it would solve all my problems, and I'd get a good job. But I just don't know what I want to do in life.

Why should I go into graduate school if I don't want? I see it as a waste of time and money, but she doesn't want me working these nigger jobs either. She thinks that since I have a college degree I should be working a more "white-collared" professional job, but as I said I've been looking for months and nobody will hire me. I still live with my parents and rely on them for a lot of things, I'm just really starting to sink into depression here.

What am I suppose to do? Either I work a nigger job making shit money for the next year, and HOPE something better comes along. Or I can attempt to study for the GRE and HOPE I get accepted into graduate school. But right now I just feel like I'm wasting my life, I have no career desires or end goals. I suppose if I did try to get into graduate school it would give me something to work towards, at least I'd have a goal. I can't live my hometown, it's a small rural area and I'm kind of just stuck here. I can't afford to move/support myself in another city.

What do people do in this situation? I mean I have no friends, a weak social support, and I really feel like I should be making some better money or at least working full-time somewhere. Sure I could try climbing the corporate ladder but that could take years, I doubt Walmart is going to say "Oh! You have a college degree! Well let me just make you a manager!."

I don't think that's how it works
>>
Graduate school would probably be better than what you're currently doing. If nothing else because it looks like a better use of your time than a dead-end nigger job.
I don't know the particulars of your situation, or how much applying to graduate school would set you back. It shouldn't hurt that much just to apply at least, you can always quit if something better does come along.
>>
>>34547417
Well as far as money is concerned my parents paid for my undergraduate, but I actually was part of a program that let me attend college with tuition paid. All we paid for was room/board and meal plans, which was still expensive. The problem is that was only for an undergraduate, even if I did get into graduate school it would be WAY more expensive.

Thankfully I got an undergraduate without having to take out loans so I'm debt free and don't owe money to anyone, sadly if I get into graduate school I'd most likely have to take out loans and pay it off for several years if not more. My mom says she'd help or at least try to pay for some of it, but I don't exactly have a lot of money.

I think you make a good point though, it's probably better to just start looking into it and applying myself rather than doing nothing. And like you said if something comes along then I can always drop the whole graduate school idea. But at least in the meantime it would give me something productive to do, and it might keep my mom's emotions in check.
>>
>>34547417
Also I can't just "apply" I have to take an entrance exam called the GRE, and your score kind of determines on if you get accepted or not. So first I'd have to study for that, take the exam, get my score back, and then apply to the school.

It's kind of like taking the SATS but instead it's for graduate school.
>>
>>34547182
>She claims that if I got an M.A it would solve all my problems, and I'd get a good job.

HAHAHHAHAHA no. It doesn't work this way anymore. Your mom is using logic from 30 years ago. I've seen my share of graduate degree holders unemployed and miserable.

OP, why don't you apply to a high scale call center, like customer service for a health insurance company or something? Being a cell center they'll take anyone with either a college degree or relevant experience. They tend to pay more as well. The second shift customer service job I had back in 2006 paid $29000 per year, and was over $30000 when the shift differential kicked in.
>>
>>34547611
I've really been trying to stay away from "call centers" and "insurance jobs" pretty much anything that involves cold calling.

I'm not saying I couldn't do the work, but it sounds like a nigger/mediocre job. Are they really that easy and great? We have a call center in my hometown called Convergy's and I think they're hiring but what do you do at a call center? People call you and you have to help them with problems? I'm sure you get a lot of people yelling at you on the phone.
>>
>>34547656

The type of call center job I was suggesting is in customer service, so you don't do any cold calling. You deal with people who want to deal with your company. Like in a health insurance company you help people with their policy and shit.

I'll be honest, it's still a shitty job. It's high stress as far as corporate jobs go, which is why people quit frequently and there's a high turnover. The only reason why you have a good chance of being hired is precisely because of that high turnover that the company is constantly hiring for replacements.

The way you are now, you're only worth a nigger/mediocre job. Your resume don't look good at all. I've been in the same shoe. The good thing about the sort of job I'm recommending is that they're with a big, bloated corporation. They are full time and pay better than the $8/hr job you have now, and once you get your foot in the door, it's not that hard to get yourself transferred into a better department a year or two later. Guy I know started out doing customer service, and transferred away to become a underwriter in the same health insurance company.

You're not gonna get into a decent/easy/great/wow wonderful job in one step the way you are now. It's going to take multiple steps, and a job like this is the first step.
>>
Be a teacher faggot. It's literally that easy. Go teach middle school drama or some bullshit. Unless you're a pedophiles then don't so that. My real advice is spam job applications. And I mean SPAM.
>>
>>34547844
I've submitted almost 40 job applications in the last 3-4 months, all rejections. Of course I was trying to apply for jobs outside of my city so that probably had something to do with it.

A lot of them wanted local applicants, and we have such shit nigger jobs in my hometown that it's hard to find anything decent or well-paid without having 100303 years of experience and shit.

>>34547844
Don't you have to have a license to be a teacher of anything? Like even for a high school teacher you need a license I think, and I don't even know what to fucking teach. I could teach speech I guess, but even then I don't know how many high schools have a speech class anymore.
>>
>>34547793
Well I suppose it's true they'd pay more and I'd get full time instead of part time, though it's still a nigger job. I think the call center down the street that I looked at pays $10.00 per hour or somewhere around there, but I also read that they have a RIGOROUS interview process. Like you have to take a typing test or some shit, and you have to go in for like 2-3 interviews. So why do all that for a nigger job? I think mostly niggers and Mexicans work at call centers.
>>
>>34548034
>Don't you have to have a license to be a teacher of anything? Like even for a high school teacher you need a license I think, and I don't even know what to fucking teach. I could teach speech I guess, but even then I don't know how many high schools have a speech class anymore.

In most states you need a grad degree to be a teacher. Don't do it man. The nice teaching jobs where you teach in a nice suburban school is very hard to get. You ain't getting it. The jobs teaching nigs in the ghetto is easy to get, but it'll kill your soul within years. Guy I know got a college degree in history and a grad degree in history. Was all gearing up to become the hip, cool history teacher. Now he work in a supermarket, in a wegman's.
>>
>>34548089
Yeah, I figured it depends on what school you apply to work for. If it's a fancy all white kid school with high test scores, or some intercity nigger ghetto high school that is desperate to find teachers.
>>
>>34548078

The kind of nigs who work in call centers are not really nig nigs. They can at least speak articulately and with a minimum of that ghetto accent to communicate with people on the phone. Anyway, you do all that for a nigger job because a nigger job is the only thing you can get. You use your head and calculate right to get the right nigger job that can eventually get you a nice, non-nigger job. That's how it works nowadays. The days of getting a grad degree and automatically become hot shit employers fight over for has ended decades ago, gone along with your momma's youth.
>>
>>34548089

Sorry, I meant grad degree in education. That guy had all the required certifications and shit. Worked as a substitute teacher and assistant coach for a few years before he gave up. Nice teaching jobs are hard to get.
>>
>>34548137
I tell my mother that she doesn't know what she's talking about, and she's stuck in the old ways but that's just how she is.

I tell her that just because someone has a graduate degree doesn't guarantee them employment, but she claims it makes you stand out among employers and usually it looks better on a resume.
>>
>>34548200

I've been an employer. To me, if I get a grad degree person applying for a monkey job, it just tells me that they have high expectations and will probably haul ass for a better job first chance they get.
>>
>>34548246
I completely agree with that, sometimes I think I was denied jobs because I have an undergraduate degree. I one time got TWO interviews at a sports retail store, I was almost positive I was going to be hired and then never got called back or any sort of confirmation that I got the job.

Usually if you get called in for a second interview that means you are going to get the job. I'm still convinced they didn't hire me because I had a college degree, and I was applying for a cashier position at a retail store full of high schoolers and non-college graduates.
>>
>>34548391

That's certainly possible. Being overqualified for a position will make people suspicious of you.
>>
>>34548417
I know, and it sucks because sometimes people like me can't find "high level" work so we have to take what we can get but our college degree hinders us from even getting these low level mediocre jobs.

And sometimes I'm convinced some employers don't give a shit if you have a college degree, I could go apply for Wal-Mart, get an interview, and they'd probably act like I'm just another regular jack off. I doubt they'd care I have a four year degree, and I'm applying to work in a nigger position. Even though I doubt the mangers at Wal-Mart have college degrees, I'm convinced some of them have high school degrees, or possibly associate degrees from a community college.
>>
Itt: sheltered children discover their useless arts degree is useless
>>
>>34548470
>I know, and it sucks because sometimes people like me can't find "high level" work

Customer service for a large health insurance company. Ain't nothing wrong with healthcare, boyo, and I gave you reasons why it'd fit and how it'd work, too.
>>
>>34548521
I'm not sheltered and I'm quite aware of the "liberal arts is useless" argument, but you know not everyone goes to college for a STEM degree. My college offered 180 degrees, not only of them were STEM based.

If you think liberal arts is stupid then that's fine, but you shouldn't bash people who decided to get a degree in one. We can't all be good at Math, Science, Technology, Engineering, etc.
>>
>>34548747

You majored in communications?
>>
>>34548585
Well I've been offered to "sell" insurance with healthcare companies, but I figured they target fresh college graduates. Like that's their main target for fresh applicants, also I read that you have to take courses and pay out of pocket money for the courses and license to sell insurance. It could take like 12-15 weeks to get the license.

I just find health insurance companies to be a scam, also it's usually 100% COMMISSION based. I refuse to work a commission based job. Most of these health insurance companies claim you'll make a lot of money, but it's commission based. They won't pay you an hourly rate or a weekly/monthly salary.

>>34548779
Yes I did because I went to college and didn't know what to major in, and I had to "declare a major" within my first year or I'd get kicked out. So I settled on Communication, why? I don't know, it was just simple and I kind of took an interest in it. Frankly I should have studied Psychology or Sociology like everyone else, I did find that stuff interesting as well though I doubt I'd find a job with it.

I really have no passion or interest in anything, I went to college and was undecided for a while. Had no idea what to major in or what I wanted to study or do. So now I'm stuck with a useless degree that I spent five years earning.
>>
File: 1358017211367.png (158KB, 600x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1358017211367.png
158KB, 600x3000px
>>34548848

Yeah, for a robot, you should stay away from commission or sales based things.

The customer service job answering calls I recommended are salary based, and a fine way to move up over a course of time, and should be fine. The big assed healthcare companies need to do other stuff with the customers once the sales people get them hooked in.

If it makes you feel any better, Psychology or Sociology are also nigger majors that gets you no decent work. You would've been screwed even with those.

Sounds like you were just pushed by your parents on some imaginary track they have planned out in their head, and even as of now that momma of yours is still pushin'.
>>
>>34547182
just b u nd nobody else
>>
College has become the biggest scam of the decade for non-stem majors.

Unless you're extremely talented, you should have gone into a trade or something that requires certification/skills.

otherwise you will never get a job paying more than $15 an hour.
>>
>>34547182
WHat's your BA?
>>
>>34547182
You make $8/hr more than me and I graduated with honors from an applied math program. Biggest waste of 4 years ever. Since everything I'd like to try requires a specific degree.

Thinking about just getting in shape and going navy since it beats working a shit dead end job for 4-8 years.
>>
why the fuck are you working for $8 when you have a degree, tons of decent jobs will take you over other people just because you have any degree.
>>
>>34550705
That's what I've been telling myself, but apparently it's not enough to have a college degree. They want people with "experience" even if it's an "entry level job."

If you know any places that take people for any degree please tell me, most of them want you to have some kind of experience in the field.
>>
try turning your hobbies into profitable ventures
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.