[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My therapist recently advised me to "restrict" my self-awareness

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 17

File: 30948092840.jpg (21KB, 350x464px) Image search: [Google]
30948092840.jpg
21KB, 350x464px
My therapist recently advised me to "restrict" my self-awareness and take life "less seriously" to overcome my depression and existential crises. She thinks I lack the mental mechanism which prevents a young man from becoming too intelligent, to soon. I can't say I disagree, but I am also very hesitant to impose any restrictions on my intellect or the profound self-awareness it allows me to experience on a near-constant basis.
Either I continue to be intelligent, self-conscious, mentally liberated yet depressed or I resign myself to an extended period of intellectual mediocrity. My therapist has been in the profession for some thirty years, and tells me that I am the only young person she has ever come across who struggles with such intense mental turmoil at such a young age. I told her I have always been a precocious individual but she insists that this isn't just a case of me being precocious, but rather a case (so she tells me) of me being so intelligent at such a young age that my brain has insufficient means, due to my neurobiology being underdeveloped for the type of thoughts and cognitive functioning I experience, that I am simply burdened by a kind of genius that it is almost impossible to bear without quote "burning out". She is very concerned (she treats me a little like a son, though I can't deny the fact that I've noticed a certain look in her eyes at times which suggests she is also attracted to me in an erotic sense) and has suggested that I take a break and either defer my studies for a year or become a voluntary patient at a mental health facility. But still, my native inclination is to avoid any triviality in life or any "easy going" form of philosophy which endorses physical pleasure over the riches of an organized and disciplined mental life. And this inclination is so powerful that I am afraid that it is unavoidable that I continue to be a genius and to suffer only as a genius is able to do. What do you suggest /r9k/?
>>
>>34523936
Suicide.

oc
>>
File: 1485271095951.jpg (263KB, 764x551px) Image search: [Google]
1485271095951.jpg
263KB, 764x551px
iktf OP who /STEM/ here?
>>
>>34523936
>"restrict" my self-awareness and take life "less seriously"

How would you do that anyway?

It's not like it's voluntary.
>>
>tfw to intelligent to be not depressed
>>
She LITERALLY just told you to "stop being yourself dude, you just gotta be yourself lmao"

I unironically suggest you find a new therapist.
>>
>>34523994
It would be worth it simply to not share a world with people such as yourself.
>>34524018
>>34524040
I highly doubt either of you understand what I am going through.
>>34524072
Considering it.
>>
>>34524149
>It would be worth it simply to not share a world with people such as yourself.
So why not commit it then?
>>
>>34524166
I don't think a person such as yourself can comprehend my struggle, there is the constant cloying knowledge that I can achieve something "great" - but it is counterbalanced by the existential dread of having stared into the void and knowing that no "contribution" to "society" has any intrinsic worth.
>>
I suggest you continue your search for Truth. Have you delved deep into religions? And no, I don't mean following what the Church says, I mean reading the books that the Church is based on.

And not just Christianity. Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Zen Buddhism, Animism, Shamanism, all religions. They all contain fragments of truth.

Above all, my primary advice to you is to meditate. Meditate a lot.

I relate to you in many, many ways. I've been there before. It might not work for you as it did for me, but spirituality and the ongoing quest for truth is what got me out of that stage (or at least is slowly getting me out)

If you want a point from which to start that is still very scientific, look into Carl Jung's work.
>>
>>34524028
I do with copious amounts of booze.
>>
She also forgot to add massive ego to the list.

There is a subtle line between the the mind and the heart sounds to me like tou're trying to justify your anxiety with being too smart. You may have a superiorly developed brain and a quicker than average intellect, but if you let your emotions take the better of you and cloud your judgement, I'm sorry to say, but you are not smart nor are you wise.

In fact, your lack of emotional control is crippling your ability to use your superior mind to its full potential. Learn to know yourself better and learn self discipline, you will realise that you were not so smart and that you could have used your mind better all along.

By taking things less seriously, she is encouraging you to focus your strong mental in a more rational and positive current so that you can learn to let go of the fear that causes your existential crisis.

Right niw, you are letting your vanity give you excuses to stay in the confort of your anxious mind.
>>
File: 1485754054493.png (62KB, 400x252px) Image search: [Google]
1485754054493.png
62KB, 400x252px
AAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Every FUCKING day with these STUPID fucking MEMES! I've had it up to HERE with stupid fucking memes! You guys make me want to KILL MYSELF! Is that what you fucking want? For me to fucking KILL MYSELF and write on my suicide note "Cause of suicide: Couldn't handle all of the stupid fucking memes, killed myself"? Because that's what it might as well fucking say!

You guys are literally, L I T E R A L L Y incapable of having even the SIMPLEST of fucking discussion without "TFW NO GF, LE SAD FROG, WOMEN ARE WHORES, HERE'S A PIC OF MY INTERNET GF, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ROASTIES AMIRITE?" Fucking STOP IT you pathetic fucking FAGGOTS, you are such fucking cancer that I cannot even fathom how you fucking scumbags live your dumb gay lives. Don't you have a job to get to, schoolwork to finish or a family to attend to? Do you literally do ANYTHING productive with your lives other than post stupid fucking memes on the /lgbt/ section of a god damn anime imageboard? You fucking people make me sick and you're damn lucky I don't have any of your fucking addresses you fucking pieces of shits. I'd spit in your faces.
>>
>>34523936
>she
Get another therapist, simple as that.
>>
>>34524207
I am far to intelligent for religion.
>>34524208
As a stoicist I do not poison my mind with such wicked poisons.
>>34524235
You are like an ant to me.
>>
>>34524350
>I am far too intelligent for religion
>you are like an ant to me

Kek. I didn't think you were as delusional about your intelligence as you are.

Nevermind then, carry on.
>>
>>34524262
Is this a new meme ?
Did I miss something ???
>>
>>34524388
literally kms urself
>>
Therapists have the LOWEST possible tone score. I suggest you ditch this dummy and get audited ASAP.
>>
>>34524382
And you, sir, you carry on with your mediocre, meaningless life. Carry on with your 9 to 5, your subpar intellect, your "romances" and your "friends" and wither away to dust.
>>
>>34523936
Is your therapist hot ?
>>
File: 1472256429080.png (109KB, 476x696px) Image search: [Google]
1472256429080.png
109KB, 476x696px
>>34524425
wew lad, this better be bait
>>
>>34524444
>4444
NOT AS HOT AS THESE HECKING QUADS!!!!
>>
File: 1449966142896.jpg (256KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1449966142896.jpg
256KB, 700x700px
>>34524444
WEWWWWWWW LAAAAAAAAAAAD LOOK AT DOSE DIGITS
>>
>>34524350

>You are like an ant to me.

Ok, but I'm not the one having to deal with such severe anxiety I have to see a shrink. I can respect intellect, but wisdom trumps a superior mind that is driven mad by itself.

The wise man knows to let go. He, also knows to respect the futility of existence.
>>
File: 1477831229137.gif (479KB, 250x237px) Image search: [Google]
1477831229137.gif
479KB, 250x237px
>>34524206
You're baiting right? You don't seriously think your average conclusions are anything special, do you?
I know normalfags are pretty dumb, but this isn't normieland.
>>
File: WP_20170122_16_53_22_Pro.jpg (57KB, 528x960px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170122_16_53_22_Pro.jpg
57KB, 528x960px
you know what they say, you can lead a water buffalo to the buffalo herd but you cant make it water

"The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet." - aristotle

live and die by this quotee because it just gets bitterer as goes on
>>
>itt op uses a higher vocabulary to appear smarter than average, yet resolves himself into using ad hominems rather than counter argumenting

An usual case of bait. 8/10 made me reply.
>>
Become more intelligent. unlock the deeper meaning behind your thoughts and experiences
>>
File: champagnepepe.jpg (21KB, 500x435px) Image search: [Google]
champagnepepe.jpg
21KB, 500x435px
>>34524425
You are either a bait or super delusional faggot. Your conclusions about life and everything are nothing more than mediocre. You remind me of a guy who literally thinks he is THE smartest guy on the planet, yet he is average at most. This shit is Dunning-Kruger effect right here.
>>
>>34524545
Is that a cake that you made?
>>
>>34524612
yeah, i made it for my nephews birthday party
>>
File: 1481234888422.jpg (161KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1481234888422.jpg
161KB, 900x900px
tfw too wise for intelligence
>>
I came to this board for guidance. I had long considered it too be a refuge for intellectuals beaten down by the deluge of society - and but whom could achieve great things were it not for their crippling apathy and failure to find meaning in a meaningless world. As time has gone by, I have seen the board fall in quality more and more over the years, with formerly mental rigorous discussion giving way to low quality posts propagated by low IQ sheeple. Consider this thread one great last hurrah for this board - a post of real meaning to mark an end to all good posts and to make way for the countless derivative drivel that will undoubtably follow it. I must take me leave now, I am working on my manifesto, which shall be delivered to publishing houses around the world no later than the summer of this year. Good day.
>>34524604
>>34524520
>>34524506
>>34524466
Bathe in the quagmire of your intellectual impotence.
>>34524612
>>34524650
Irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
>>
>>34524028
'presence' is how my first therapist described it

which is when you're focusing on something and the majority of your thoughts are on that action.

withouy presence, we get clouded in thoughts and that creates a disconnect from the real world. very common for all of us. less thinking and more presence is an effective way of increasing your overall happiness. also meditation is similar to this...clearing your brain of thought and so forth
>>
>>34524206
What? You're just dealing with Nihilism and apathy? Just fucking accept that nothing matters and then go do what you want. I mean it will take awhile for you to get to that point if you are actually depressed. It took me awhile to get there too. But it's not a novel problem to want to be super important and then realize you are unlikely to become super important and that the future sucks for humanity so regular contributions are also meaningless.
>>
>>34524680
Irrelevant to the dick cushioned in my hand
>>
>>34524680
>quagmire

kek, this is just bad.
>>
>>34524680
Good luck with that manifesto because you're bearly literate.
>>
I bet that op has no manual skills whatsoever but still believes in his cognitive superiority

fuck op, this is a dubs thread now

check em
>>
>>34524774
Family Guy is garbage desu
>>
File: 483.jpg (43KB, 646x663px) Image search: [Google]
483.jpg
43KB, 646x663px
My fellow bratuha, I totally understand your troubles. When I'm forced to go outside, I see all these sheeple, none capable of individual thought or even reaching 1% of my intellect. Do you think we are able to lower our IQ to the levels of the recipients of this thread? Something which recently helped me a lot was to pop a xanny, all drugs are poisoning, alcohol will destroy your mind, but xanny is truly the thinking man's drug.
>>
OP IS GAAAAAAAAAAAY

CHECK EM
>>
File: 1472845783451.gif (2MB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
1472845783451.gif
2MB, 400x250px
So, this is OP everyday, right?
>>
>>34524834
I took Xanax once and my IQ dropped by 20 points
>>
>>34524846
chek these dumdum ;)
>>
You're not clever in the slightest, OP.
>>
have you ever had a meaningful relationship with a female?

check em
>>
>>34524206
>Pretending nihilistic realisation is something profound to comprehend

You really are delusional
>>
>>34524904
While I have had frequent romantic advances from the female gender (as indicated with relation to my therapist in the OP) I consider such petty social rituals as "dating" to be beneath me.
>>
op is the kind of people I hate the most in this world
believes he is superior, yet he is a useless fag who contributes with nothing but bitterness

check em, fags
>>
Holy shit, after all this OP uses "to" instead of "too". Hahaha, she's probably saying that to make you feel better about your severe autism, OP.
>>
do you have any friends?
and why don't you try anything with girls if you say you have had your advances? maybe it could change your perspective

and check em :)
>>
File: 1478229851537.png (266KB, 1208x1272px) Image search: [Google]
1478229851537.png
266KB, 1208x1272px
I used to live inside of my head and take life too seriously until I snapped and had a small psychotic break
I recovered from it fine without medical intervention and since then learned to take life less seriously
also booze helps which I used to avoid off of principles

check my doubles
>>
>>34523936
She should slap you in the face. Sounds like you need it.

That would probably be more effective therapy.
>>
File: 1485199426839.jpg (67KB, 500x341px) Image search: [Google]
1485199426839.jpg
67KB, 500x341px
>>34523936
>>34524149
this has to be b8. 7/10 my dude

do you use your genius for anything besides the posting of shit?
>>
File: 1485812901754.jpg (197KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1485812901754.jpg
197KB, 640x960px
>>34524974
Your autism is truly off the scales my friend, you need to get a grip
>>
>>34523936
Alright. Where does your depression come from?
>tfw no gf?
>tfw too smart for gf?
>I'm a supreme gentleman why can't I get laid?
>tfw Chad gets all the girls?

Where does your existential crisis come from?
>tfw no point in existing?
>tfw will never pass on my genes?
>tfw so insignificant that other insignificant things are more significant than me in this insignificant universe?
>tfw don't exist in the eyes of others?

Either way, your therapist is right. Stop caring. You're only alive for a few decades, so kick back and let the universal flow take you.
>>
>>34523936
I ain't reading all that shit nigga.
>>
>>34524680

When your mind is already made up, it's useless to seek counsel from others.

No matter what anyone say, if it's not in line with your inflated self-importance, you'll just pretend that you didn't hear it. So I ask you this: What kind of advice or opinion did you expect? Were you ready to hear differing opinions or did you hope that we would just say what you wanted to hear? To me it sounds like the latter. Maybe, in your misunderstanding of this discussion board, you thought people here would fall in admiration in front of your use of elaborated vocabulary.

But I get it. You are young, you want to believe you are special and you misinterpreted something your shrink told you as some form of flattery. You heard "You are too smart to be happy." and you stopped at "too smart" telling yourself "fuck yeah I'm smarter than everyone else. Did you forget that you are unhappy?

You came here with a problem and a request for help, but your mind is already made up: You are just too smart to be happy. So stay as you are, obviously, you are comfortable with yourself.

As I said, the wise man knows to let go, so I will split ways with you and wish you good fortune in your pursuit of the betterment of your intellect.
>>
LSD or Shrooms... one trip.... plan it out as something entheogenic with good people, etc. And reflect on these thoughts and much more. Plan the trip with much detail, but not as an itinerary, just have plenty of stimulating things available and around you in case something piques your interest or you need fodder for thoughts.... Do your research to be sure to have a good trip. Everyone should experience psycheaelics a couple of times but don't overdoit.
The end goal: Hopefully you can put your ego in it's place. You may be a genius but you can't ever say or think that - for one there is a ton of people out there and the more you dive into it and think you know, the more you realize you don't know. Also, you *almost* belong on /r/iamverysmart with this post. Thirdly, it comes off to some as elitist to say these things and people will tell you that it's all a justification for your other inadequacies.
. Be a genius but don't seek recognition from others or yourself as being a genius. There are a lot of very smart people out there. Anyone with a mind and all their senses has the potential to be "genius" in some capacity, although it may take more work than others. Yeah, dude, just humble yourself, Don't think too highly of yourself (or too lowly). A balanced life means you can have a balanced and disciplined mental life while simultaneously allowing yourself an appropriate amount of enjoyment of the more Hedonistic pleasures and ensuring that you are not crippled from neglecting your emotional or interpersonal needs.
Depression often does seem to come with the territory.... but there's plenty of things you can do that take a minimal amount of time away from you and maximize your ability to rise above depression.
>>
>>34524466
Sauce?
Onigiri
>>
>op is the "tfw two intellegent" meme
i am the same way, op, except i dont pride myself on it. it matters not that you're smart. this is because you are not wise. if you were, you'd have considered the idea that existence is a giant meme. the purposeless nature of which leads the wise man to one conclusion: suicide. i am not one to kill myself on an immediate note, however, as my humanity pulls me from that concept. instead, i kill myself slowly. drugs and liquor provide me a better metric of empathy relating to the common man. the life of a fool is a good one. become foolish for but a moment, op, and you will learn what it means to live.
>>
File: beenicehoney.png (153KB, 393x350px) Image search: [Google]
beenicehoney.png
153KB, 393x350px
Here is some advice: Being nice is more important than being right.
>>
File: 1444536037461.png (30KB, 875x819px) Image search: [Google]
1444536037461.png
30KB, 875x819px
>>34525342
tfw literally too smart to enjoy all the things your family and friends are into and slowly drift into the abyss
>>
>>34525378
I'm sure that attitude works out great for NASA.
>>
>LOOK AT ME GUYS IM 16!! IM SUCH A SMART GUY WHY DOES NOBODY LIKE ME IM LITERALLY THE SMARTEST PERSON AROUND!

>MY THERAPIST IS SURELY NOT JUST TRYING TO DEAL WITH ME THINKING THAT I AM SOME SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE GENIUS IT MUST BE HER REALIZING HOW SMART I ACTUALLY AM THAT I CANNOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO OVERCOME DEPRESSION!

yes im a faggot

get over it, just because you are not as dumb as the other kids in your school it does not mean that you always are the smartest around. you clearly lack life experience and are delusional to the point not realizing that you need the help of others to overcome your personal problems.

ok if you actually aren't trolling, consider this. I apparently have an iq of 136, which is quite high, but I managed to finish school in an absolute horrible way with the worst grades, beeing a total outcast the whole way through.
i did alot of stuff trying to find work after getting out of school, and I met another guy in the same situation. my point is that I realized even while I actually am smarter than most of the people I will meet, it does not help me in any way at this moment and I hurt myself for thinking I am superior and I accepted my fate and worked my way up from some immigrant halftime jobs with lots of illegal unpaid overtime to co manager of a small company with 4 shops in the region. it surely is not much but the current manager is going to retire and will most likely promote me. i got up here all the way by just ignoring that I am smarter and just using my intelligence to deal with problems in the best way possible. oh yeah what i wanted to actually say is that this other guy is probably lurking here beeing a useless depressed neet, get fucked thomas you piece of shit who is smarter now i wish i could see your pathetic face
>>
>>34525512
you're probably actually really dumb and given false iq readings.
>>
Everyone in this thread is fucking retarded, especially OP.
>>
>>34525512
wtf i hate thomas now!
>>
>>34523936
You claim that your smart but you've committed the hasty generalization fallacy multiple times in this thread.
How could you make such a claim while you're so fucking stupid?
>>
>>34523936
>lack the mental mechanism which prevents a young man from becoming too intelligent
Lmao

Did you actually believe that, brainlet
>>
>>34525712
For/and you
>>
>>34525605
The WAIS-IV doesn't lie, you eggplant
>>
File: 9348328r9u3u42.gif (426KB, 500x255px) Image search: [Google]
9348328r9u3u42.gif
426KB, 500x255px
>>34524545
>>34524612
>>34524650
I lol'd at this harder than I thought
>>
>>34523936
tfw to intellgent to be smart
>>
>she is also attracted to me in an erotic sense

lost
>>
s-s-sorry to hear...
>>
what's your iq OP?
jk but also not, really curious if there's a correlation
>>
>>34523936
So smart in fact that you turned to r9k for answers.
Don't you know psychologists just tell you what you wanna hear, your money is all they want.
>>
>>34524444
Decent use of quads. Bravo, anon.
>>
op are you ambidextrous? If not then you know nothing..
>>
OP, I hear that wearing a fedora will control your brainwaves so that you'll be able to communicate with people who are inferior to you.

You should try it, I think it'd really suit you quite nicely!
>>
>>34523994
fpbp

oc
>>
>>34523936
You must fuck your therapist if she expressed interest
>>
>>34523936
> though I can't deny the fact that I've noticed a certain look in her eyes at times which suggests she is also attracted to me in an erotic sense

yeah you're likely just projecting there, son
>>
lmfao

you expect me to believe this isn't bait?
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.