[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will we ever run out of art ideas? Is there a finite amount of

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_4253.jpg (260KB, 1280x737px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4253.jpg
260KB, 1280x737px
Will we ever run out of art ideas? Is there a finite amount of art to be discovered? Things like color and sound are finite, aren't they? Given long enough time, won't we run out of them?
>>
>>34465926
maybe it will

maybe its already happening

too tired for this shit

the world is a fuck
>>
>>34465926
You mean practical differences? Because it'll be impossible for us to burn through every possible, say, portrait, because you could add a fucking red dot in the corner and it'll technically be different.
>>
Library of Babel
>>
of course we will run out but that limit exceeds human memory
no will remember x 10,000 years from now so it wont technically be NEW, but it will be "discovered" since its new
>>
Art will be always as varied as the Human Experience,squared. Every unique perception can be reimagined a hundred different ways. Themes will occur,archetypes established,since many people may walk the same road,but some with the stride of giants and others with the mincing of mice.

We will never run out of ideas. Only opportunities.
>>
If everyone suddenly gained the artistic ability to create whatever they can imagine....
>>
>>34466101
this definition forces art to be meaningless
when art meaning ANYTHING to ANYONE, then it means nothing
there needs to be some standard
>>
File: IMG_1868.jpg (101KB, 1024x644px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1868.jpg
101KB, 1024x644px
>>34466044
Exactly, that's what depresses me. Unless we keep finding new mediums to make art with, we will run out eventually. I want to die.
>>
No, art is contextual so when time changes art changes even if it appears the same as it was before.

See Duchamp's fountain. It was a form already known (a urinal) placed in a new context. This creates context and meaning giving the form voice.

So if one can place a toilet in a museum one could in theory reprint the Mona Lisa and do the same (given the culture is ready/interested in the message you're tying to same) with new contextual information. It will mean something new or different that references the old but is a new piece of art.
>>
Are there a finite amount of ideas? No. Will we ever reach some point where we stop thinking of new ones? I'm not sure.

I'm not an artist, but I am an economist. Long run economic growth is the result of new ideas, inventions, etc. There are two competing views about the stock of ideas. The pessimistic view is that the low hanging fruit have been picked and that new ideas still remaining will be much harder to achieve. The more optimistic view is that we are standing on the shoulders of those that came before us. That we can achieve heights heretofore unimaginable.

Which is true? I can't say. In general, though, I'm an optimist. I have a lot of faith in humanity and I think that we have a lot left to think of, to create, and to achieve.
>>
>>34466271
anon the human race has without fail always found new innovations and ways to expand both technology and art. For instance- virtual reality will become one of the hot new meme mediums now. There's a lot of new ways you can tell a story with interactivity and the immersion of a VR headset.

My working theory is that the universe and it's rules are constantly expanding outwards in a neverending stream of creation. We are creatures formed of this universe's design, so it is in our nature to create. We won't ever run out of new and interesting mediums of art because the universe will keep inventing new ones and letting us discover them.
>>
File: 1485225812632.gif (471KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
1485225812632.gif
471KB, 512x288px
Memes were the final frontier of art. This is where it all ends.
>>
>>34466330
>>34466342
>>34466321
>>34466313
>>34466229
>>34466121
>>34466101
>>34466057
>>34466044
>>34466039
>>34466011
Read this short story. It explains my fears perfectly. It's well worth the read
>>
>>34466570
I'm not really in the mood for this meta stuff. I'd be happy to consider your point and offer a response if I have one (in fact I'd really relish it), but you'll have to lay out what you're trying to say.
>>
>>34466570
what short story you cuck
>>
>>34466605
>>34466620
http://www.spiderrobinson.com/melancholyelephants.html

P-please don't yell at me, I forgot to link it.
>>
I wonder too, OP.
>>
i always thought we would run out of lyrics or notes in the music industry soon enough
>>
>>34467675
Yea we will run out of music note combinations. Vsauce has a video on it. And we can run out of word combinations, the Library of Babel. So what do we do? Just accept it and when the time comes perform a mass suicide?
>>
I know the future of art, as I have seen it in visions. It is brighter than you peasants could possibly endure. The capabilities of peons will endure satire. Horrific creatures a billion times scarier than anything you have witnessed. Supermen the likes of which cannot be reckoned with. And so on. It will make our current art look like child's play. As for art one day being exhausted, well, infinite art does sound silly, but immortality is, once again, child's play for what the future has planned.
>>
>>34468136
So art won't be infinite?
>>
r9k proves you can post the same shit over and over, just reword it a little differently. Should be the same with art.
>>
>>34468288
No. It's a huge number, but it's still finite. It will one day reach an end. And then what?
>>
>>34468264
It won't matter, because no one needs that much art, ever. And if you wanted to be immortal, being bored is the price you have to pay for it, I reckon. Even if you were constantly coked up, the central theme in your life would be boredom. It's hard to imagine why to me but I trust that's it's true. The mind wants to be seduced, not ingratiated. It wants things to happen. It needs conflict. It doesn't want to be handed anything.
>>
File: 1485159557221.png (435KB, 680x762px) Image search: [Google]
1485159557221.png
435KB, 680x762px
Dude, don't worry. That would take thousands of years.
The world will end before we run out of art ideas. I hope.
>>
File: IMG_5123.jpg (65KB, 317x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5123.jpg
65KB, 317x800px
>>34468687
But the day could still come. I don't know why I'm not okay with it, but I'm just not. It's eating at me.
>>
>>34465926
Technically yes, there is a finite amount of paintings and artworks that can be made, but that number is so astronomically big that it's retarded to worry about.
>>
File: 1478431824912.png (293KB, 455x455px) Image search: [Google]
1478431824912.png
293KB, 455x455px
>>34468866
Nice double dubs.
Anyway, I had that feeling once as well. Just stop caring about it. You will never experience the moment we run out of it. You won't even live to the point we're halfway through. Not even quarter. Not 1/8.
Just focus on anything else and forget about it. It worked for me.
>>
I've been pondering on this and I think no.

Every speculation says no. No point in explaining just think about it for a few years as I have

>>34466570
To sum it up its basically this + the universe is big as fuck. If we ever break away from our solar system everything will change for the human psyche.
>>
File: 1462006512840.jpg (180KB, 500x668px) Image search: [Google]
1462006512840.jpg
180KB, 500x668px
>>34468866
If you think you feel bad, imagine me. My third eye has been unlocked for a long time and I've exhausted my will to be fulfilled
>>
no that is why art is brilliant. There is no end to the possibilities. it's near infinite. There are so many elements and variables to change and combine. We haven't seen the half of it.
>>
I think you've just grown jaded, that's why you are feeling like this.

Happens to everyone anon.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.