[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it easy as fuck to get a loan for college but you can't

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_2832.jpg (37KB, 316x202px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2832.jpg
37KB, 316x202px
Why is it easy as fuck to get a loan for college but you can't just run up and get a loan to buy hookers and travel and do blow? Cause it's a fucking rip off. If you used the money you spent going to school you could literally buy a house and travel and if you work a job with a shitty wage you'll break even still.

Don't be a fucking sheep
>>
>>34465031
t. loser who never went to college
>>
File: IMG_1521.gif (2MB, 320x165px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1521.gif
2MB, 320x165px
>>34465051
>le college = success/ intelligence maymay
>>
>if you work a job with a shitty wage you'll break even still.

Well, the whole point of school is to acquire new qualifications, so that you can get a better paying job. Doesn't that seem like the better option, in the long run?

And banks do give loans for things other than college. If you want to be in debt, then go ahead and make a withdrawal.

But hey, uni dropout here. What the fuck do I know?
>>
>>34465051
No stupid fuck I did

I know some fat bitxh that worked for Walmart with a ged and she makes 6 figures with them now
>>
>>34465127
Making 45k a year with 200k in debt or make 25k a year with no debt and have a chance to get promoted woo college
>>
>>34465142
>she makes 6 figures with them now
wtf, how?
>>34465098
Never said that. You just have a higher percentage of success. Well, as long as you going into STEM.
>>
Average university loan debt in the U.S. is at 37k for 2016.

You would be extremely hard-pressed to find a home with any appreciable amount of land for that amount. It could be done around where I live, but that house is gonna have some problems, be in a near-ghetto, or both.

That ain't even getting into being able to travel.

These loans are given, at least ostensibly, because they are likely to be an investment in the person; the individual that graduates university with this debt is more likely to obtain a higher-paying job than someone that did not.

Outliers are fine and all, but in matters like these the aggregate is important.

If you're seriously asking why "hooker and blow" loans are not available, someone obtaining one of these hypothetical loans would not be making an investment. I wonder what opportunities 6 months of shacking up in various hostels while fucking hookers and railing lines will open up?

I'm of the opinion that much of this student loan debt is racked up by individuals refusing to work while in school, living on or off campus with significant expense all on loans. Sure, not everyone has mommy n' daddy to stay with while in school and I understand that. Still ain't a justification to avoid a full or significant part time job while in school, to avoid going without immense alcohol and "entertainment" expenses, to avoid living outside of the school's dorms, etc.

i dont know why i responded seriously
>>
>>34465168
>wtf how

Someone fell for the college loan scam. They prey on your fears for your future to scam you when you're lost and have no clue how the world works. That's why you're told to go to college the second you finish high school. If you knew how the world worked you would never pay hundreds of thousands to have some chink throw a book at you.
>>
it's a scam. the bubble will burst soon and fuck everything up more than the housing market crash
>>
>>34465212
Nah you're wrong any decent school is at least 50k a semester
>>
>>34465166

I can't be bothered to confirm those figures, but assuming they are accurate:

If you make 45k a year, then you would pay off your debt of 200k within 5 years.

Obviously, you still have to survive, so if you deduct your living expenses, you might need... let's say 10 years to pay it off. And after that, you make 20k more per year.

I don't live in America, so I don't know exactly how it works, but I assume you can pay back the loan slowly, giving as much money as you can. If you have a low income, then I assume the debtors would cut you some slack, and let you pay back in even smaller increments.

I don't know. I have no dog in the race, but it appears to me that the debt you incur is a small price to pay for the benefits that you reap.
>>
>>34465246
You are more than welcome to attempt a refutation of these statistics; you'd have to either cite differing statistics from another source with justification as to why they're legitimate and the "mainstream" statistics are not, or perform your own analysis of the student loan debt of the U.S.

https://lendedu.com/blog/student-loan-debt-statistics

Funnily enough, I under-shot the total. 37k was per borrower in 2016. Among the students that elected to borrow money for university, you've got 28k average. Among students as a whole, you've got just over 16k.

This is just undergraduates; most people don't bring in graduate students to the debate.
>>
File: 1470457905311.jpg (25KB, 558x558px) Image search: [Google]
1470457905311.jpg
25KB, 558x558px
>>34465246
also, you're not in touch with reality there

the average tuition per semester for the eight ivy-league schools in the US for 2016 was just over 48k; in 2017 they'll breach 50k by a smidge.

apparently, the only "decent" (synonym for adequate) schools in the US are at least as expensive as the eight ivy-leagues

dude what
>>
>>34465246
Correction: 50k a year
>>
>>34465414
fuck forgot my citation

http://blog.collegetuitioncompare.com/2015/05/ivy-league-2015-2016-estimated-tuition.html

this 12-hour 3rd shift is really scrambling my noggin
>>
>>34465246
>>34465419
You guys are out of your minds. My entire tuition was only 60k. You guys must be talking law school or some other difficult high paying career.

Sounds like a waste of money if you had spent that much. Practically no employer cares where you went to school. I haven't even met a single one. Very few will unless you are applying to a very exclusive company that only looks at the best of the best. That's almost nobody.
>>
>tfw you live in Pennsylvania and even public university is going to cost you $120k because your parents make $65k a year
>>
>>34465785

wagie, shouldn't you be doing your job instead of shitposting on the internet?
>>
>>34465806
unfortunately, the out-of-touch "anti-college crusader" types will just tell you that you went to a completely irrelevant diploma mill and your degree is worthless, no matter the reality

sure, there are jackasses that should not be enrolled in university. there are potentially productive and intelligent people in fields of study that will not yield material results

unless you received a four-year degree from a literal community college that JUST got accredited for anything aside from associates degree, or even worse, a completely non-accredited institution, then you're completely right
>>
>>34465876
i should be finishing up some coursework instead of shitposting in this thread, ye

but i have no work to do atm

my meagre earnings are not in danger
>>
>>34465297
>>34465166
If you make 45k a year, it will take 20+ years to pay off the loan of 200k in America. AND that's if you hardly spend anything you earn. You may make 45k, but you will only keep 30k after taxes and medical insurance. Then you will spend 15k minimum to live off of. That leaves 15k for leisure and retirement. How much of that will go towards your 200k loan?

I make 88k and can't even pay off 200k in 5 years. You guys don't realize how badly America taxes you. After taxes and required healthcare, I only keep 45-50k.You lose like half you income in taxes and obamacare. I end up spending 20k a year on living expenses. Everything else would be leisure, retirement, and then the loan. Luckily I did not take out a loan and just worked full time.

This is why all those tards voting for Bernie Sanders are complete idiots. They want even high taxes? The fn morons. Clearly they do not have a job. I digress; i don't want to get into politics.
>>
>>34465860
Penn State College tuition:
http://admissions.psu.edu/costs-aid/tuition/

In PA, a tuition for a 4 year degree will cost about 60-80k depending on the campus. For most people it will be closer to 60k.

Just say'n
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.