[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: destroyed.jpg (92KB, 970x546px) Image search: [Google]
destroyed.jpg
92KB, 970x546px
/Rk9/, I want you to be totally honest. What would you do if your main computer completely stopped functioning? Your main computer becoming totally unsalvageable.

How many of your files are gone forever? Was your computer your main entertainment center? Can you cope without using a computer? Do you have a backup?
>>
>>34449036
worst loss would be my 4chan folder, i have backups of all my uni stuff on an external HDD and on the university cloud storage.
first thing i would use one of my family members pcs to order parts for a new one.

i know how to keep myself busy otherwise.
>>
>>34449087
That's smart. Sometimes I worry I don't backup enough of my uni files and the like. With my poor internet connection it can be a pain redownloading heavy programs.
>>
>>34449252
i used to be like you thinking backups are just a pain in the ass. then my cousins hard drive shat itself and he lost everything. ive been paranoid ever since.
>>
all my stuff is backed up and i have spare parts everywhere, i can throw together a shitposting machine within an hour if this thing stopped working
>>
>>34449036

I keep all my files on external harddrives so I can fuck about with the computer itself without worrying about reking it, and I back them all up

I archive a lot of files for different people so it would be a shame if they all got fucked up in a house fire or something
>>
That actually happened to me once.
I lost a lot of pictures I saved from 2012 but apart from that I managed fine, since I only use my computer for watching anime and it wasn't that hard to re-download it.

Some electrician came and fucked with the power and I didn't have a power-board that protected from surges and so computer got fucked good.
Dad didn't buy me a new one so I had to borrow my sister's for awhile, it was tolerable but not pleasant.
>>
I have backups because I'm not retarded

external memory is so fucking cheap now it's not an excuse to not have at least one
>>
I have 600$, I guess I use that to build a new one.
I have my best animations saved in various imgurs and shit, and I guess I can browse until other people post the Pepes I've drawn.
>>
>>34449036
i luckely have backups and only lose like a months worth of dumb 4chan pictures and maybe game savegames

thats about it

i'd be more pissed of buying new hardware or spending time formatting the computer because htat will take half a day again
>>
>>34449406
did you try a new PSU first?
>>
>>34449036
>>34449087
>>34449252
>>34449288
>>34449311
>>34449354
>>34449406

Seriously if you post on 4chan, use your pc daily and play games and you dont have all your shit like movies, videos, games, music, pictures, documents, savegames etc back upped in different places you are a fucking faggot and should return to fucking facebook macbook reddit shit

only a non robot or non autist would not have backups of their shitty pathetic computer shit
>>
File: 1484447254484.jpg (45KB, 640x592px) Image search: [Google]
1484447254484.jpg
45KB, 640x592px
>>34449036
I don't need a computer or any of this gay technological bullshit. I need food, water, and air.
>>
>>34449463
did you have to respond to everyone? now i got my hopes up just for your unfiltered autism.
>>
>>34449482
>did you have to respond to everyone?
yes and i didnt responded to everyone i responded to just enough people so I would get a (You) but not so many people that I would spend too much time clicking on post numbers
>>
>>34449036
My main computer did break. Now I use iPhone. It sucks but gets the job done
>>
>>34449036
I mainly post on my phone. Much more comfy until it fucks with "not enough memory" errors
>>
File: 1479514015978.jpg (23KB, 604x311px) Image search: [Google]
1479514015978.jpg
23KB, 604x311px
>>34449669
>posting on phone
>comfy
>>
>>34449036 (OP)
>>34449087
>>34449252
>>34449288
>>34449311
>>34449354
>>34449406
>Not having an extra 4 Terabytes on hand at all times including cloud storage and local storage
>Not having multiple machines in case of a failure
KEK have fun in the stone age faggots

Wow you fucking casuals
>>
>>34449814
can you read retard, i do
>>
>>34449814
og smash computer man face not so smart anymore
>>
File: guy smiling with thumbs up.png (552KB, 415x611px) Image search: [Google]
guy smiling with thumbs up.png
552KB, 415x611px
>have an encrypted TrueCrypt file container that is backed up weekly to a cloud server
>container is encrypted with AES-TWOFISH-SERPENT with a 40-character-long password
>the container has 15gb of pictures, files, etc. All stuff I would rather die than to lose
>have a rotating back-up done monthly to three external HDDs
>keep archival copies on two of the HDDs that date back 5 years
>perform a bi-yearly scan of the file container for integrity issues

1 copy on the cloud. 1 copy on my computer. 3 copies externally.

The only thing that could cause me to lose the info is a house fire that takes out my computer and all three external HDDs, and if the cloud server went down on the same day.

It's impregnable. Even if someone were to steal my computer or a HDD, it would take them thousands of years and trillions of dollars to crack.
>>
>>34449931
What kinda illegal stuff you hiding in there?
>>
I'd buy another one because I'm not a neet. I'd load my backups because I'm not a retard.
>>
File: 1478323356025.jpg (297KB, 1589x1191px) Image search: [Google]
1478323356025.jpg
297KB, 1589x1191px
>>34449036
> External RAID-1 backup system
The worse that could happen would be loosing the files saved/modified in a 12 hour span.

> Laptop
Could still browse the Internet and play a bunch of games

I'd just buy the same rig again, with updated components. I have a job, and I don't spend much monthly, and I already have my computer-replacement budget ready, along with my tire-replacement budget and half of my car-replacement budget.
>>
>>34449036
Is probably be lowkey happy. Spend way too much time playing vidya on it so having that temptation gone would be a life savor. Prob but some shit laptop like an applecuck or amsome random ass tablet to use for school but no games.
>>
>>34450358
> If I loose my pack of cigarettes, I'll be happy because I'll stop smoking! It's just that easy!
You'd be buying another PC or a console to play on. Maybe not the next day, but you know very well you would end up buying something to play vidya on.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.