[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the fuck makes a magnet generate force? Gravity I can sort

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: 1482577592947.jpg (24KB, 366x358px)
1482577592947.jpg
24KB, 366x358px
What the fuck makes a magnet generate force? Gravity I can sort of wrap my head around but how do magnets?!
>>
it's like the force that holds atoms together

>tfw atoms don't really touch each other and everything is mostly empty space
>>
>>34438653
Fucking magnets, how do they work! No but really though, in all seriousness, like for real tho, honestly, this is a /sci/ thread dingo
>>
>>34438653
"Earth is a realm, it is not a planet. It is not an object, therefore, it has no edge. Earth would be more easily defined as a system environment. Earth is also a machine, it is a Tesla coil. The sun and moon are powered wirelessly with the electromagnetic field (the Aether). This field also suspends the celestial spheres with electo-magnetic levitation. Electromag levitation disproves gravity because the only force you need to counter is the electromagnetic force, not gravity. The stars are attached to the firmament."
--Nikola Tesla
>>
How is gravity more intuitive than electromagnetism?

It comes down to fundemental forces between elementary particles. Just like gravity. There isn't really anything to wrap your head around, just accept it.
>>
Electrons in motion create a magnetic field, placing a test charge (metal) within that field with result in a perpendicular force.
>>
>>34438709
>How is gravity more intuitive than electromagnetism?
Gravity is intuitive because I'm a fatass, but I'm not a magnet.
>>
>>34438653
The worst part is the the bread is facing the wrong direction
>>
>>34438709
I accept it and all, but find it sort of cosmically odd that a little tiny magnet can exert more force than the whole earth's gravity. But, whatever. I just work here.
>>
>>34438688
So, let's see if I can sound this out then. An atom has an electron cloud of electrons that are spinning around the atom in a net direction. Normally, the direction is relatively neutral to its surroundings, but certain conditions can make an atom's electron cloud maintain a "storm" in such a way that the atom reacts with its surroundings rather than being neutral.
Once again, first post is best post.
>>
PROTIP: don't eat magnets
>>
anons what did a magnet say to another magnet?

youre a fucking faggot
>>
>>34438868
>Every electron generates a magnetic field, but they only generate a net magnetic field when they all line up. Otherwise, the electrons in the human body would cause everyone to stick to the refrigerator whenever they walked by, Walker said.
http://www.livescience.com/32633-how-do-magnets-work.html
>>
File: 1468714838257.png (534KB, 689x689px) Image search: [Google]
1468714838257.png
534KB, 689x689px
>>34439209
How does a single electron generate a magnetic field tho?!
>>
File: IMG_20170126_223407.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170126_223407.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>34438653
Does anyone knows hot to plug this onto OP wall?
>>
>>34439247
Math.
Quantum mechanics.
Etc.
>>
https://profmattstrassler.com/articles-and-posts/particle-physics-basics/virtual-particles-what-are-they/
>>
We exist in an electromagnetic field.
Everything consists of arrangements of elementary particles such as electrons and quarks.
One combination of quarks makes a proton. Another combination makes a neutron. Protons and neutrons are bound to electrons by a force in the field called photons.
>>
>>34438709
People hate action at a distance. Pretty sure that's the entire reason "messenger particles" were invented, that or a pathological need for symmetry with photons.
>>
/science/ time:
There are 3 important metals which are magnetic. There are also some exotic compounds that are magnetic, but that's not important right now. The three magnetic metals are iron, nickel, and cobalt. These three metals are all in the first period of the d-block on the periodic table- that's all the metals in the big block in the middle. All 3 of these metals possess a lone electron in their outermost orbital, the d orbital. Outer shell electrons are usually why any element might behave weirdly (why gold is yellow, for example) Electrons have a negative charge, which can repel or attract other charges. (Or if you want the real explanation, they have spin. Spin is too complicated to talk about right here, but just know that's similar to but not the same as how an object like a top spins) Atoms exist in 3D space, so these electrons can be facing any direction. In any given bit of a piece of iron these electrons will all be aligned in the same direction, but this will only be over a very small region called a domain. Across the metal as a whole, there is no net direction- the local domains all point in random directions, so there's no aligning and therefore all their charges and directions cancel each other out. But domains can be realigned. By exposing a piece of iron to a magnetic field, the magnetic field forces the domains in the iron to align, and the iron itself also becomes magnetic. This is why you can link of several pieces of metal with just one magnet. If you hold the iron by a magnet while it is fluid, the domains will all align, and as it cools all the domains will retain the direction they were facing- this is how a permanent magnet can be created.

Running an electric current through a wire also produces a magnetic field. This is because the electrons all move (and spin!) in the same direction as they move through the circuit, and therefore have the same affect as a magnet's domains do.

tl;dr- fucking electrons, man.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.