[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how does one actually "improve their personality"?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: 1485051657332.jpg (34KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
1485051657332.jpg
34KB, 560x560px
how does one actually "improve their personality"?

it's so enigmatic of a thing, it's not measurable and can't really be practiced or learned

is it even possible to go from beta nervous wreck who fidgets and can't talk on the phone, to normal functioning person with friends and few hangups?

all these tips and concepts I read online feel impossible to execute. other people don't see it that way because it comes naturally to them.

but focusing on posture and eye contact and speech patterns and all that stuff, it's like if someone gave you a bunch of things to juggle in the air while trying to hold a conversation. it's hard enough just to be courageous enough to talk and think of things to say, but now you have all these other tasks you have to focus on at the same time and you end up coming off as rehearsed and robotic and "creepy"

I really don't think I can ever make it. i'm always going to be boring, awkward, and off-putting. i want to be normal but you can't practice. human beings are people, you can't just use them as practice exercises and brush off failure when you fuck it up. it's not like that.
>>
Improving your personality is kind of a bullshit statement. But you can always become more interesting. Read science books, try to paint, learn art, guitar, fucking gardening my nigga. There's a million things you can do to occupy your time and fill your brain with knowledge that will in turn improve your personality. It's really that simple. Just grab something and learn all about it. Personality can be learned and faked just like anything else in the world.
>>
>>34380543
Improving your personality = STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE AND LIKE WHAT I LIKE!

in a nutshell
>>
>>34380577
but none of that stuff is interesting to me. it's not like I don't have hobbies on purpose. I wish I liked things. but there's always a barrier to entry that seems impermeable enough to make me not care anymore. either it's difficult, expensive, requires energy and dedication, or it's just not that interesting at all.

I've never found something I really like. it's pathetic and a really big insecurity. I can't talk about myself because I don't have anything to say
>>
File: 1466082593306.jpg (51KB, 540x545px) Image search: [Google]
1466082593306.jpg
51KB, 540x545px
>>34380543
You can't become a better person if you skipped a vital step.
Your brain will never be in the same state and capacity of learning as your 14-18 year old self.
Just like how it becomes harder to learn a brand new language as you get older.
At least that's what I tell myself to feel better.
>>
>how does one actually "improve their personality"?
By seing yourself from new perspectives.
>it's so enigmatic of a thing, it's not measurable and can't really be practiced or learned
Understanding how others perceive you can seem farfetched, but learning some basic psychology and social mechanics goes a long way. It will give you the analytical tools needed to understand how your behavior elicits certain responses from your environment, and how you can practice changes in behavior to achieve different responses.
>is it even possible to go from beta nervous wreck who fidgets and can't talk on the phone, to normal functioning person with friends and few hangups?
I went from a fidgeting, unkempt turbo beta into a functional adult with a girlfriend and a career in leadership.
>all these tips and concepts I read online feel impossible to execute. other people don't see it that way because it comes naturally to them.
Some have to practice more than others. Some find certain things, like eye contact, to be more stressful than others. I've yet to find someone who can't learn it, sans wheelchair-bound vegetables.
>but focusing on posture and eye contact and speech patterns and all that stuff, it's like if someone gave you a bunch of things to juggle in the air while trying to hold a conversation. it's hard enough just to be courageous enough to talk and think of things to say, but now you have all these other tasks you have to focus on at the same time and you end up coming off as rehearsed and robotic and "creepy"
If you try to master all the elements at once, you will fail. Focus on one element at a time. A recommended starting point is merely observing your own body language, and noticing whether you are fidgeting or throwing your glance around at people's faces like a dog hoping for a "good boy" response.
>>
Mental illnesses you have do not define your personality. Things like struggling to communicate with people and general social anxiety hold you back but you still are who you are. Getting rid of social issues will improve how you interact with people but your personality will remain the same.
>>
>>34380702
I don't really have a personality though
>>
>>34380543
>human beings are people, you can't just use them as practice exercises and brush off failure when you fuck it up
That's exactly how it works though.
>>
File: shota.jpg (62KB, 822x450px) Image search: [Google]
shota.jpg
62KB, 822x450px
>>34380543
I wanted to make a thread about social chameleonism but I guess it fits this one.

Whenever I'm with normies I naturally adjust to them and fake it as a defense mechanism. I can talk to old people, chads, women, strange people on the streets who start initiating small talk and other shit. The only time I can be myself is when I'm hanging with my little cousins who are pretty genuine and just say what comes to their minds

I spent a year as a wageslave and I was pretty good with customers and my coworkers but as soon as I got home I reverted back to my usual self and didn't want to have anything to do with anyone else
>>
>>34380543
I'm choosing the lonely road where I don't need to change for anybody. It dooms me to a life of failure but it's okay.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.