[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>all my life I wanted to be a GameDev >spent my youth anticipating

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: ff1140.jpg (54KB, 546x896px) Image search: [Google]
ff1140.jpg
54KB, 546x896px
>all my life I wanted to be a GameDev
>spent my youth anticipating going to Uni where I expected to make like-minded friends that would develop games and shit together
>now actually in Uni (Junior), making in CompSci
>feel inadequate in every aspect of my existence, especially regarding programming comptence
>GameDev is a constant, constant struggle trying to get the simplest shit to run
>have no friends online or IRL, so no one to collaborate and brainstorm with
>in my attempts to make game, everything falls on my shoulders and I'm too incompetent to do any of it

Who else knows this feel? Doesn't have to be about GameDev specifically, just anything you've always wanted to do but feel to incompetent/stupid to succeed at.
>>
What's the connection between liking Lain and being retarded?
It's either the same person making these kind of threads over and over or Lainfags are unironically brain damaged.
>>
Never understood why anyone would want to be a game dev. You get worked like a dog and tend to be working other software dev jobs anyway instead of game dev. Why bother?
>>
>>34370030
Just get a job writing business software and make your indie game on the side.

>wanting to work for an AAA game developer putting in tons of unpaid overtime because DONT U HAVE A PASSION FOR VIDYA GAEMS
Don't bother
>>
>>34370115
I don't want to work at a big AAA developer though. As I suggested in the OP, what I really want to do is just dev alongside a small, close-knit team.

But I want to be a game dev because I want to tell the stories I have in my head that are incompatible with other mediums.

>>34370125
That's exactly what I wanted to do - just get a job in software dev develop a small game on the side, but I feel I'm too stupid to do that.
>>
>>34370264
If you're telling yourself that you're stupid already then yeah you probably are. Otherwise once you're past your self emotional bullshit, realize that you can do a lot of shit if you put your mind to it. I'm not saying you can do "anything" because you can't. But you can probably do a lot.

So learn CRUD princples. Build simple web apps. Write a faceshit or tweet clone. Use Rails or Django to help you.

"Build twitter clone in rails"

"Build twitter clone in django"

Already have done more than half the googling you need to get on your way. It's turtles all the way down and you will ALWAYS keep learning more. You will never be finished here.

I've worked in the gaming industry, it fucking sucks the life out of you and everything you enjoy. Even small indie teams are gonna be fucked. You know why? Gaming is the hardest medium to program for. Just build some stupid ass websites for some people who can't do it for themselves and make a living. Enjoy the games on the side...if it takes off...good for you. Otherwise you're gonna be back here posting that you got a game dev job and it sucks.

If you love gaming don't work in the industry

(worked on Elder Scrolls Online)
>>
>>34370030
What kind of Game do you want to Dev? U gamedave you
>>
But thought you autists had a natural affinity for numbers and shit.
>>
>>34371691
Right now I'm just messing around with shit trying to familiarize myself with the process.

I've been developing ideas over the years but most people have.

>>34371954
Programming way more than just numbers. For starters, it involves a great deal of creative problem solving and plotting of abstract relationships.
>>
>>34370030
Many people are going to tell you otherwise, but a team is not what you're looking for.

The problem I've faced working with a paid team is that not everyone is in it for the result, and most of those who say they are may mean it for the first month, but motivation is lost easily and eventually they slow to a drag, doing the minimum for the cash, and the project dies. Not that it mattered to me, it was going to be some average shovelware.

Make it your own art, keep it as a hobby and see if it grows over the years.

Also, computer science will help a bit, but if you really want to make games, pick unity or gamemaker studio. "hardcore gamedevs" will try to bully you into making your own engine, but I've been there done that, nothing but reinventing the wheel with less features.

I use C# and gamemaker studio for games.

Sorry if I'm too off topic.

Humans are very competent to create (in fact, engineered to do so) the problem lies in motivation. Just discipline yourself so you can do more difficult things.
>>
File: 64522858.jpg (95KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
64522858.jpg
95KB, 800x450px
>>34370030
Yeah, video games was always my favorite hobby, so I went to uni studying compsci and then it turned out that I actually don't like coding at all.
Dropped out after first year and now I'm working shitty retail job for pennies.
>>
I am glad I picked up programming easily. Did pretty well in University and now work at a company doing C++.
>>
Game dev here. Your entire story boils down to "i didn't realize that making my dream come true was going to involve working hard"

Fuck off
>>
>>34371954
>tfw complete autistic trash
>terrible at everything, with no special talents
people kept trying to tell me i was gifted growing up, but i think they just thought i must be because i exhibited the bad traits of idiot savants.

I'm at the same skill level of but fortunately significantly less cringy than chris-chan
>>
>>34372797
i started taking learning C++ class last semester. i fell behind and was unable to catch up despite constantly putting as much effort into it as i could, the class after we learned "Hello world!"

I'm terrible at math and unable to remember the processes, let alone execute them for high school level algebra.

I have no creative or artistic talent, and i am absolutely horrific with interacting with people.

I am physically weak.

My only redeeming quality is that i try to work as hard as i can, putting aside anything i enjoy with bare minimum break time for biological functions.
but that has gotten me absolutely nowhere when i have nothing to work with at all.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.