[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I wrong to think that the dunning kruger effect is fucking

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0291.jpg (184KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0291.jpg
184KB, 640x1136px
Am I wrong to think that the dunning kruger effect is fucking retarded? I mean it basically states "if you think you're smart then you're probably dumb" doesn't that just make people question themselves for no reason? How do you know for sure that you're intelligent without some standardized test, or some logic test to calculate a number?
>>
>>34357758

You shouldn't really worry about whether you're intelligent or not, you should worry about whether you understand things or not.
>>
>>34357758
>"if you think you're smart then you're probably dumb"

It's more like "if you are dumb you pribably think you're average or even above average anyways

That doesn't mean an intelligent person cannot see himself as intelligent, it just means that brainlets won't acknowledge their inferiority.

Standardised tests are useful to gauge potential, but they only really work within two standard deviations of the average. At the end of the day actual performance is what really determines a persons ability though. Casual conversation or discussion may also reveal how much they have actually developed their intellect, rather than just pure IQ
>>
>>34357758
Given that you don't understand the Dunning-Kruger effect, I'm going to say there's no dilemma here and you're just dumb.
>>
Some real life examples: Trump and /r9k/.
>>
>>34357758
But that's not what the DK effect says. Congrats on misunderstanding what it means, you are a prime example of the DK effect in action.
>>
>>34357758
Popsci memes
>>
File: 1485050049078.png (19KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1485050049078.png
19KB, 499x499px
>>34357758
It's not about being smart or not, it's about knowledge.
People that are affected by this think they know a lot about something when in fact they do not. The effect has become a buzzword to use between 12 year-olds on the internet (just like any other "intellectual bias/fallacy" eg Strawman, Ad Hominem, etc) so it has lost some of his meaning.
I knew a guy who had strong DK shit going on. He kept claiming he was a very good Dota 2 player, League of Legends player, CSGO player, and a very knowledgeable weeaboo.
The truth was that he was a shit Dota 2 player with <300 hours (no MMR), an average League player on Gold, a shit CSGO player with no rank, and he had only watched the popular animes (Death Note, FMA, etc).
I didn't need any "standardized test" to find out he was suffering from DK. Literally any question you'd ask him about Dota 2 (what are Sand Kings abilities, how do you build Daedalus, etc) was answered with "Don't know man, I'd have to be in front of a PC to answer these. I know the answers, I just can't recall them". He never said "I don't know", he always said that he knew but couldn't remember.
Truth was he was just a beta trying to act like a gamer chad to get some of that gamer feline. I met him at a summer camp, maybe I'll post his full green text story on another post.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.