[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has /doingtherightthing/ ever worked out for any of you? It

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 18

File: image.jpg (22KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 251x242px
Has /doingtherightthing/ ever worked out for any of you?

It always seems to tremendously fuck me over I try to "do the right thing" (tell the truth, help someone, apologies, ect)
My life tends to improve whenever I do the opposite.
>>
It's just a normie meme. Realizing this is really the first step to self-improvement and happiness. Fucking never, EVER tell the truth to people, about anything, if it doesn't benefit you to do so. There is nothing to gain and everything to lose. When presented with a situation like this, you need to first and foremost consider what you want to gain from this conversation and then just say whatever causes the person to act like you desire. Whether you're telling the truth or whether your apologies are genuine or not shouldn't really factor into it. Just tell them what they want to hear. They'll like you more for it, I promise.

I basically have one version of me that I show to my family, another one for strangers and a third one for my psychiatrist. None of them are anything close to the real me. Of course I've had to deal with the fact that my life is a lie and I can never have true human contact with another person and that I will eventually die without anyone ever understanding who I was and why I lived my life like I did. But once you get over that and telling people what they want to hear becomes your second nature, you won't even notice it and life will be much easier.
>>
It depends but usually you just wanna appear to be doing the right thing but do otherwise.

Most people do this.
>>
>>34347317
Being good is a fucking meme, do what benefits you most.

>>34347916 listen to this guy
>>
>>34347916
What "act" do you put on.
Is it how you act or mostly about your values or what is it?
>>
>>34347317
Nope, doing the "right thing" is bullshit. It's meant to make those losers who will never amount to anything, feel superior about something for a change. It doesn't make their lives better, though.
>>
>>34347916
>everything to lose

sounds like the path to enlightenment
>>
>>34347916
This right here is what will get you places in life.
>>
>>34348119
It's sad how true this is, I've conspired to get people above me fired, and once I do I manipulate people into getting a promotion
>>
File: 1464287859949.png (106KB, 683x470px) Image search: [Google]
1464287859949.png
106KB, 683x470px
Let me tell you a story about how I found $200 on the ground.

Last summer I went to a local food place to get takeout. There's some tourist traffic in the summers here and it's a popular spot. After ordering, I walked over to get some sauce and napkins. When I turned back around, I noticed a bit of folded paper on the ground that hadn't been there before. Feeling curious, I bent over and picked it up. I saw a big $100 and more than one bill. I stood for a few seconds thinking about, "what should I do?"

I discretely pocketed it. To me, a $100 bill is a lot of money. Enough that there's no way I would ever let a $100 bill fall out of my pocket. I must need it more than he does, right? I was a broke kid that lost his job. He's probably some rich old man, and not likely to reward me much for doing the right thing. I'd get a word of thanks at best, right?

tl;dr nobody saw me and I kept it.
>>
File: image.jpg (30KB, 220x165px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 220x165px
Bump

I am monitoring this thread, seems like pretty good advice
>>
File: image.jpg (246KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
246KB, 2000x1000px
>>34347916
Advice to live by right here, have any other words of wisdom?
Generally curious
>>
There should be no rewards or praises for doing the right thing, it's a reward in it self. Honestly, people who lie and steal and fuck others over just for personal gain are worth absolutely nothing. Animals have no concept of right and wrong and therefore can't judge their actions but people do. Those who can't make the right choice if it means harm to themselves are lower than animals.

>>34347916
>>34348260
people like this are shit.

S H I T
>>
>>34348689
>There should be no rewards or praises for doing the right thing, it's a reward in it self. Honestly, people who lie and steal and fuck others over just for personal gain are worth absolutely nothing.
so doing the right thing is worth absolutely nothing, just as people who lie, steal, and fuck people over, except it has it's own reward which is usually essential to your survival.
jesus fuck you're an idiot stop talking
>>
doing the right thing huuu deer is it's own reward durr huuur duur i guess it's worth nothing
people that do the wrong thing are worth nothing derp derp except they get rewarded for it huuur durrr derp
stupid
>>
File: 1470720600744.png (8KB, 461x343px) Image search: [Google]
1470720600744.png
8KB, 461x343px
>>34348689
>he believes in morality

get spooked my friend
>>
>>34348741
No, doing the right thing because of personal gain and doing it because it's right is literally the most important thing in life. It's what separates adults from children, men from women, men from boys. Being a decent human being should be something everybody aspires to be. It's about principles.

What the fuck is wrong with you? Do you lie to your family and friends too? You would sell your own loved ones if the price was right? I can't believe you're making me type all this out.
>>
>>34348689
>there should be no reward for doing the right thing!

He fell for the meme
>>
>>34348490
You shouldn't take it as a carte blanche to act like an antisocial bastard. Note that misleading people isn't necessarily a hostile act. If you try to abandon all morality, you are in fact trying to trick yourself, because if you're like 98% of people, you are still bound by the same rules as they are. Namely that when you hurt others it tends to hurt yourself as well. It's how you're programmed. Well, unless you're a genuine sociopath, but they're the 2%.

Truth should be rejected as essentially a spook. But you should still strive to be a good person, not so much because there is some moral imperative to do so, but because deep down you probably want to be one. Your psychology hates malice the same way your physiology hates poison.

As for advice: you alone have the keys to your happiness. Not much more can be said than that, as everyone has their own path to it. But you have to know yourself and you have to try to be happy. I think most robots don't even try because they don't think it's possible. But it is.
>>
>>34348914
>Truth should be rejected as essentially a spook.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmwhat
>>
File: 1465941250901.jpg (51KB, 600x334px) Image search: [Google]
1465941250901.jpg
51KB, 600x334px
>>34347317
>Has /doingtherightthing/ ever worked out for any of you?

Nope.
Has been fucking me over ever since the age of 5. Now I just want to watch this shitty doggy dog world burn.
>>
it is true right now that the manipulative, the deceptive, the exploitative, and the selfish control everything about this society

it is also true that there is nothing about this society that engenders a contented life

between these undeniable truths there is a choice to be made
>>
>>34348888
>No, doing the right thing because of personal gain and doing it because it's right is literally the most important thing in life. It's what separates adults from children, men from women
>men from women

fucking kek
>>
>>34347317
Doing the right thing is not for everyone. Only strong people can do the right thing and overcome what it means, because it certanly fucks lifes up. The weak ones want an easy path, and so they choose to do the oppossite, but only the brave ones sacrifice even their tranquility in order to help others and do what's best for everyone, even if that person is not really part of the ones that get the benefit.
>>
>>34349011
I'm sorry to hear that, any stories?
>>
>>34347317
Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't

It's hard to know the difference when you need to make the decision, but that's just part of life man

My advice (on honesty at least) is to be honest about pretty much everything
It makes some people trust you more, and naturally deters people who aren't comfortable with that level of honesty (and those are usually people you don't want in your life anyway)
Basically if you actually are honest most of the time, people will think you are an actually honest person, so when you do need to lie, it's easier to get away with it.

Just look out for smart people who
A. Know how to look for nervous tics that indicate lying and
B. Have been paying attention to you long enough to know yours
>>
>>34349036
You think there is no difference in the way most women and men behave? It's not all biological.

Women are pretty often raised to not care about ideals or principles, that's why so many men look down on them. But it's those principles that make us human, they're what's different between "alphas" and "betas". You can go through all your life just eating and fucking and sleeping, just trying to survive, or you can try to be something more and reach higher. That's what being honest and doing good things is about.
>>
File: image.jpg (114KB, 1143x993px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114KB, 1143x993px
>>34347317
>help someone
This is good if it is something they will ask you to do anyways or if you get something in return. The following greentexts are how I learned that taking the initiative is actually good sometimes
>be me
>grade 6
>gym equipment closet is messy as fuck
>really pissing me off that it takes time to find stuff and delays pe time
>Me and friend have idea
>we ask the teacher if we can clean it during recess
>it takes only about ten minutes to clean
>me and my friend play with stuff only meant for indoors that we can't play with during recess outside
>fun as fuck
>next pe class
>teacher tells the class me and friend volunteered to clean it
>give us these tickets given out for doing nice things that go in a raffle for shitty dollar store toys
>we get ten instead of one

>asked by mom to vacuum living room
>vacuum
>mom is not happy and wants to lift the couches and vacuum behind them
>do that
>mom is still not happy
>mom makes me revacuum over many places that are clean claiming there is a crumb or spec of dirt
>autistic screeching
>eventually get it done
>later date
>living room is dirty as fuck
>I am sick of walking on this dirty carpet
>vacuum
>mom is really happy I vacuumed
>I put in the same effort as I had previously
>mom doesn't even notice or care
>mfw
>>
>>34348888
That's a crock of shit. That sort of idealistic talk only comes from the bourgeois. How fucking ignorant and sheltered do you have to be to figure out the world is set up that you're fucked if you don't have enough. Not you're just going to have a unhappy life, you're fucking dead.

You have to be ignorant or stupid to the point you don't really believe good things should be done at all if incentivize doing bad things over good things.
>>
You ought to do the right thing because it's what you ought to do.

Why does it have to be more than that?
>>
>>34347916
>I basically have one version of me that I show to my family, another one for strangers and a third one for my psychiatrist.
This is exactly how i am. Especially with the psychiatrist. I tell her whatever i need to in order to hear i want to hear and get the meds i need.
>>
>>34349360
when life is such a difficult thing that doing something for a reward is worth risking being punished for it, people will do it. even if life were easy and the risk of reward was enough that it's worthwhile to do it once, people will do it.
this do the right thing because it's right is a terrible policy that simply ignores reality and gives people a reason to misbehave and no reason what so ever to behave.
then there is the extra chances thing so even if you do get caught and punished you start out ahead of where you were in the first place afterward, so there is no reason to do the right thing. this just triggers the fuck out of me hearing people who think they have some moral high ground saying do the right thing because it is it's own reward.
i do the right thing and it's a worse punishment than getting punished for doing the wrong thing most of the time. if you take a big look at the picture of how the world works this attitude of do it because you're suppose to is causing a fucking ton of social problems and it isn't going to last.
>>
Had a chance to post / spread the nudes of a girl who bullied me in highschool. Chose to delete the photos. Half an hour later she pelted me with ketchup covered tampons and called me a dyke.

So, no.
>>
>>34349354
>Unironically using the term bourgeois
Fuck off cuck
>>
File: 1476070192013.png (44KB, 657x527px)
1476070192013.png
44KB, 657x527px
>>34350451
A classmate shared in a group phone chat her school id and password, I immediately deleted her message in case my phone ever got stolen. A week later she took my hug virginity.

Now I'm just a KV

That said, you gave the girl a chance to redeem herself later in life when that awful high school shithead phase passes, where is she now?
>>
>>34349775
>this do the right thing because it's right is a terrible policy that simply ignores reality and gives people a reason to misbehave
How does it give people a reason to misbehave?

>no reason what so ever to behave.
The reason is that you already know what you ought to not do and unless you're a sociopath you're going to feel like shit for doing it. You're going against your nature by stepping on people.

>i do the right thing and it's a worse punishment than getting punished for doing the wrong thing most of the time
What are some examples?

I do the right thing and even when I'm not rewarded for it I'm very rarely punished and am often comforted by the fact that I did what's right.
>>
>>34349360
I have a theory about you, and the supposed other anons if it's not just you commenting

either
A) You're underage and haven't left the house yet, and have no fucking clue how the world works

B) you're laying on the bait pretty thick for your hooks

C) You inherited an insane amount of wealth and have never seen struggling of the lower class before

or D) you're blinded by rose tinted glasses and fell for the meme that 'being good is it's own reward' and accept the bullshit that's being spoon-fed to you by Popular Media.

Whether these are true or not, seriously, fuck off.
>>
>>34347317
GIVING MY MOM 150 BUCKS FOR RENT OUT OF MY 250 PAYCHECK SURE IS THE RIGHT THING BUT I CANT FUCKING GET ENOUGH TO EAT UNLESS I WANT TO NOT SAVE ANY FUCKING MONEY
I HATE DOING THE RIGHT THING REEE
>>
>>34350992
>250$ paycheck

jesus dude even working part time you'd still make more than that, where do you live?
>>
>>34350929
Get a load of this bullshit
>>
>>34350961
I think we might just have different views on what the right thing is. A lot of people are acting as if you have to martyr yourself to do what's right.

Keeping yourself alive is as important as keeping anyone else alive in most situations, sometimes it's more important, other times it's less important but keeping in mind that you matter and that doing right by yourself in most cases isn't "not right" are key aspects that this thread either doesn't understand or bloats to unnecessarily sociopathic, antisocial and narcissistic proportions.
>>
>>34350992
How do you eat?

Do you do anything other than work?
>>
>>34351211
You don't know better than me but if passive aggressiveness makes you feel happy then I'm glad I'm doing the right thing by enabling that.
>>
>>34351262
>hur dur I have the moral high ground
>>
>>34351419
Keep going if it makes you feel any better, anon, or argue my points.
>>
>>34347317
Yes, it works out well for me consistently.

The key is to be good selectively. It's shitty, but there are some people, a lot of people in fact, that you just can't be kind towarss. These people will exploit your generosity, your earnestness, until nothing's left but the bitter husks that you see ITT.

The people that I keep around genuinely appreciate me and the things I do for them, and they reciprocate if I need the assistance. These are the kinds of people you want to do the right thing for.
>>
>>34351466
Best post

Rightfully original
>>
>>34351466
Sounds good, but a bit tiresome
>>
>>34351430
He doesn't need to you dumbass, everyone else in this thread already has, but do go on Obi wan "muh high ground"
>>
>>34352223
Not a single post has.
>>
>>34352178
Once you recognize the red flags, it's actually pretty easy to determine who's worth being kind to.

Being bad with money, and taking help for granted are two big ones.
>>
Absolutely, look at all these posts of robots who say they don't do the right thing, they're all fucking miserable. I'm not saying that's the reason why you should though. You've got to realize that everyone else is a person just like you, don't fuck someone else over cause you wouldn't like to be fucked over, is that so hard?
>>
>>34350929
>I do the right thing and even when I'm not rewarded for it I'm very rarely punished and am often comforted by the fact that I did what's right.
Because you're a bourgeoisie. Feeling good is all you need in life to get by all your other needs are taken care of. Clearly you're very selfish that you think you feeling good is not a self centered reward and believing it's sufficient for everyone.
It's a material world you ignorant idealist. People don't survive from feeling good, that's way higher up on the psychological hierarchy of needs it's practically flabbergasting you think that's all people need in life.
In fact sometimes doing the right thing feels worse than doing the wrong thing and it has nothing to do with being sociopath, bad things often have a reward which feels good.
If there is a more tangible reward for doing bad deeds people have more incentive than to do good, you're "it's a reward of it's own" makes it a punishment to not take the reward for doing something bad. How in the fuck does that make any sense to you that is a good thing. If you have a pet dog your trying to train and it does something you want, you give it a treat and it learns to keep doing that. You reward it to encourage learning good behavior.
In your little opinion of how things should be done you ignore the fucker when it does good. let it steal treats from your pocket while it ignores you and then start screaming you should beat the fucking thing for being a thief.
Have you ever gone to a medical professional for an examination? I'm curious if you legitimately have autism or some sort of mental disorder.
>>
>>34347317
I was raised autististically strict by my parents
if being ugly wasn't enough, they were overbearing and made me a beta, but i still did what they wanted
In the end I never made any friends, never got a normal childhood or had fun. but atleast i got into the University I studied right, even when graduating I couldn't find work and had to give it up and get a wageslave job because I had no connections
>>
File: aricebo.png (9KB, 375x1125px) Image search: [Google]
aricebo.png
9KB, 375x1125px
>>34348914
I've been lying in the way that you've entailed for as long as I can remember and I really believe that its been the source of my problems this entire time. (Particularly the whole literally never making relationships with anybody and genuinely not knowing anything meaningful about "myself" or anybody).

What do you do when the feeling of impending doom from the fact that years and years of lying to everyone you know might fall upon you in one giant action that you can't kill yourself out of.
I tend to watch anime

Also is a psychiatrist a good idea?
>>
>>34351430
Sorry but you're whole point is a selfish need to feel good. The whole point of integrity and doing the right thing being good is often because it's a more difficult decision to make and turn down short term gains. Morally people respect doing that because you often have to sacrifice to do the right thing. In terms of actual policy, if you do the right thing and you're socially shit, you're poor, nobody on the planet really gives a fuck about you, it's so fucking foolish to sit around saying doing the right thing is the right thing to do because you're life is totally fucked up and clearly that wasn't the right thing to do unless you think having a life that sucks is a correct thing for people to have for no reason.
>>
>>34352276
Now saying you have to be a sociopath to enjoy doing a "bad" thing is extremely ignorant. Let's say you had a 10/10 wife. If your wife had an affair with me is it a good thing because we both had orgasms and it felt good? No. It's a bad thing you took oaths and it breaks oaths if it's a traditional marriage. Breaking an oath is probably worse than murder. I don't know how you jump the gun to "good things feel good, bad things feel bad" you must have a very fucked up moral compass if you think anything that feels good must be good, and things that feel bad are bad. You must be very sheltered.
>>
>>34352886
I didn't actually say any of that.
>>
>>34347317
Honestly, yes. Never lied, stole, or tried to benefit myself over others, and I am now a successful attorney, happily married, and have been all over the world. Doing the right thing and being the nice guy will never (on its own) hold you back.
>>
File: 8301720 (1).jpg (29KB, 500x328px) Image search: [Google]
8301720 (1).jpg
29KB, 500x328px
>>34350929
>>34352886
>>34352956
>The reason is that you already know what you ought to not do and unless you're a sociopath you're going to feel like shit for doing it. You're going against your nature by stepping on people.
>>
>>34352632
In all seriousness fuck parents,
>>
>>34347317
Technically you're right, but so is
this guy >>34348689
I think it depends if you're going to treat life like a marathon or a sprint. It's not that hard to fuck people over for money and to lie, cheat and steal your way into a comfy lifestyle, but it will never propel you the way honesty and being trusted, respected and honorable will. The short game: scam, cross whomever you want as long as you know it's not sustainable. The long game? Get fucked over a bit by the cunts playing the short term and rise above when people realise you are morally surperior and will trust you with more i.e easier promotion, money lending, no criminal record and the benefits life will give to good people.
Your choice, everyone's different. (Not saying either guarantee you the good life, some good people get cancer and die without a bad bone in their body, but just saying in the long term being good will serve you better. Karma!)
>>
File: 1484956180656.jpg (92KB, 1636x1582px) Image search: [Google]
1484956180656.jpg
92KB, 1636x1582px
>>34347916
Tee bee aich fpbp

You're a god anon. Have a (You).
>>
File: 1422306094967.jpg (33KB, 436x436px) Image search: [Google]
1422306094967.jpg
33KB, 436x436px
>>34347317

>stick up for a friend in elementary school
>become a pariah along with him
>he didn't even thank me

And that's how I became a /bully/.
>>
File: 1482581174868.jpg (10KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
1482581174868.jpg
10KB, 225x224px
>>34347916
What do I do in order to get better at lying like this? I don't know how to practice. Should I just start with little lies and work my way up to being a manipulative mastermind? Genuinely curious.
>>
>>34347916
>>34354887
>being retarded (I'm oreganolale)
>>
>>34354659
That's a load of bullshit. Nobody is ever going to treat you better for being honest or "morally superior". Karma doesn't exist.
>>
File: 1484269117028.jpg (552KB, 720x1107px) Image search: [Google]
1484269117028.jpg
552KB, 720x1107px
>>34354942
Just think about how much better you can make yourself appear to others, keep track of the narrative you want to use and don't make up really big unbelievable shit.
>>
I like to think I try to be good. But I know it's not really true. I might not do many things that are outright wrong, but I don't go out of my way to do any good things either. As much as I try not to lie, I still hide things and stretch the truth. While I don't steal, I still pirate. As much as I'd like to be LG I think I'm more like NE.
>>
>>34355201
>He's not chaotic neutral
>>
File: 4103684-4066701620-soNuu.jpg (115KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
4103684-4066701620-soNuu.jpg
115KB, 645x773px
>>34347916
It shouldn't have to be this way....

I want off this ride
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.